Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How do I carry my friend through WF's abysmal earlygame?

Space0ddity

starting out in WF is a nightmare if your best friend has 600 hours in already for the both of you, that much is guaranteed

i want to make a plan to grind to MR6 as fast as possible and boost him really quick so he wont spend half the time being completely useless. i'm not gonna subject my friend to 200 hours of looking at my shiny ass stealing all his kills.

here's my plan

day 1: install, tutorial finish, and meetup, i'll teach him advanced stuff like bullet jumping, and plat gift him a frame of choice

day 2: i taxi him to hydron and carry for a bit, help him level up his crap until mr1

day 3: repeat farming,  make sure he makes it to MR2

day 4: indoctrinate him into clan, trade him damage mods for abilities and then primaries (he likes to play as spellcasters in ds3)

day 5: starchart

day 6: we should be at  vor's by now,  if not then we should have already killed krill

day 7: vorkrill and sarge should be dead, a big chunk bitten into jupiter, maybe go for broke and bust alad

day 8: taxis to hydron whenever starchart gets stale, main quests should start around now

day 9: second dream should be over right now, main goal is now to get all the important nodes, mainly t4 void

day 10: uranus and neptune should be done for, so should pluto. sedna should probably be a bit of a way through.

day 11: void should be reached,  hains of charrow done for

day 12:  sunbro here  should be MR6, next 10 days are grinding for amp components in fortuna

day 22:  bro now has: working amp, leveled frame, strong weapon, mr 6 minimum, and can now pull weight.

is this even possible? i  just  wanna help my G

• Like 1

Here is the best hint to play with your friend and newcomers.

Lvlup your trash weapons. Your skill will still make a gap between you, but nothing humiliating and the weapon being trash will force you play for real instead of breezing through it.

Rushing his own progression is actually the worst thing you could do to him, that mean not carrying him at hydron and play at his paste.

Giving tric, help and SOME rare/"mandatory" lvl 0 mod is very good. 

Most importantly you have to be there with him, filling His agenda that he made HIMSELF and if he ask for direction give him...sparingly. (At this point he should be able to make his own descision and figure out his next steps)

Do not make him skip steps of progression that he will have to complete anyway.

TL:DR    do not, just play with him.

Edited by angias
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, angias said:

Here is the best hint to play with your friend and newcomers.

Lvlup your trash weapons. Your skill will still make a gap between you, but nothing humiliating and the weapon being trash will force you play for real instead of breezing through it.

Rushing his own progression is actually the worst thing you could do to him, that mean not carrying him at hydron and play at his paste.

Giving tric, help and SOME rare/"mandatory" lvl 0 mod is very good. 

Most importantly you have to be there with him, filling His agenda that he made HIMSELF and if he ask for direction give him...sparingly. (At this point he should be able to make his own descision and figure out his next steps)

Do not make him skip steps of progression that he will have to complete anyway.

TL:DR    do not, just play with him.

he doesnt have all the time in the world, i'd rather not. endgame is quite fun compared to early so i'd rather let him skip. he became a very good ds3 player even though i gave him some pretty strong weapons at first.

Don't boost him, it's pretty gorram selfish to ruin his experience with the game under the guise of helping him.

Get some unleveled stuff you don't use and play with that when you're with him. Let him experience the game for himself, it'll be better for him in the long run and be less likely to lead to burnout. Let him decide what he wants to do.

The thing about games that rely on some sort of progression mechanic is that end-running around that progression removes a lot of the meat of the game.

Edited by FlyingDice
  • Like 9

il y a 3 minutes, Space0ddity a dit :

he doesnt have all the time in the world, i'd rather not. endgame is quite fun compared to early so i'd rather let him skip. he became a very good ds3 player even though i gave him some pretty strong weapons at first.

I hope you are ready to bear the consequences.

Because 3 of the 4 friend with who i did this were messed, 2 uninterested and left the game, 1 who failed to fill his own agenda and it took him 1 1/2 years to stop asking me for a walkthrough (he is pretty decent now)

Only the 4/5 first planet are extremely easy and boring. It should take you only one week to reach that point and around 10 hours if you do plan to carry him.

You can bring him to higuer lvl mission if you want but DO NOT CARRY HIM, undergear yourself to the point the success of the mission is not garanted.

Give him a goal instead of a carried/guided walkthrough. (The progression is very important to the player experience)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Space0ddity said:

day 2: i taxi him to hydron and carry for a bit, help him level up his crap until mr1

I'd rather not subject players to Hydron on their second day. Just guide him through the starchart, have him get Rhino + sniper or Hek (So he can actually play without you, unless you plan on having the entirety of his early gameplay be with you), then only Hydron when he unlocks Hydron. In terms of doing taxis, I'd say it's only warranted with alerts and Ukko, Void to get him the basic essential mods. Maybe play EV trin with him so he can actually use his abilities. 

12 minutes ago, FlyingDice said:

Let him decide what he wants to do.

IMO, that doesn't really work, as an early game player is going to have little to no idea what decisions to make, and what those decisions entail. A boat load of things are not pointed out to them, and some of them they are going to regret not getting started on earlier (Rep grind, corrupted mods, early MR "grind", which is to say always have one of your weapon slots leveling up). New players can't really make informed decisions until they are past the war within, or second dream at the absolute minimum. 

To be fair, this statement is not unfounded, as what the OP is suggesting is a bit much. I would only direct new players to Rhino which is the best frame that works with little energy and mods, and a sniper or Hek so they can deal actual damage (if you look at the players helping players forum, you constantly get players saying they die on or past uranus, as well as dealing no damage). Past that it should just be quests + starchart, then they should feel free to branch out. 

• Like 1

I have a weird feeling this mindset will end his friends enjoyment like it ends a lot of players enjoyment of the game through boosting.

By boosting youre infact taking goals/discoveries/reaources from him to get him to THE GRIND which is all warframes end game really is which without the numerous resources you accumulate BEFOREHAND to assist in creating various loadouts and choices youll subject him to GOING BACK to previous areas of the game that you powered him through as to which hes too strong for

This will increase his boredom as all the weapons he will need or be interested in require lower level mats and grinding. Unless youre also going to tell him X weapon is "worth it" which further bottlenecks his choices which only further extrapolates Warfames inherent flaw.

Also end game viable plan...in 22 days? 10 of those grinding soley Fortuna? What the hell?

Edited by (PS4)psycofang
  • Like 7

Dude dont do it.. let him/her help themselves, i did this with my wife when she started playing.. 1 MR every 24 hrs .. smashed through the first 10 MR's really fast.. but she missed all the learning and really didnt appreciate the game play.. I gave her everything she could need, as I was being selfish and wanted her to be able to join my gameplay .. was a bad mistake and now she plays if she feels like, (not much)  and yes she got to MR15 be herself but just doesnt have the same attachment to the game if she had done the early stages of learning .. best thing you can do is give your friend assistance when they need it and maybe 1 good frame and weapon.. then just enjoy watching them stumble through the missions getting the crap scaried out of them when the stalker calls.. 🙂

• Like 5

Carrying a friend is actually a pretty random thing. I got one friend to play soon after I started, gave him all the mods he needed and carried him, now he is an MR 18 (probs going to reach 19) who solos all content with no issue and still plays a lot. Then again he is a three year player so yeah, that kinda explains itself.

On the other hand, I was a bit less generous with another friend and he got to MR 12 before he stopped for good. He's also a good player who could pull his weight early on as I did give him the mandatory mods and he platted Gara.

It really depends if they like the gameplay. My second friend quit because of motion sickness and probably got bored of the gameplay loop. Thing is, everyone responds a bit different to getting carried 

1 hour ago, FlyingDice said:

Don't boost him, it's pretty gorram selfish to ruin his experience with the game under the guise of helping him.

It depends on the person. My partner didn't want to play Warframe until I told her I could actually rush her through the first few planets because the game is extremely slow early on. The new player experience is bad enough even DE acknowledges it. I've boosted my partner and two others through all the junctions and then let them solo the last few bits. With the time constraints two of them have, they wouldn't even be halfway through the junctions and would've quit the game anyways due to how dull things are early on. Skipping the first bit isn't that bad, just don't carry them forever, I've let some missions fail just so they can learn to do things on their own; and no matter what, anyone that's new is going to be forced to go back for materials whether they get boosted or not, simply because you get very little resources playing through the star chart once.

7 minutes ago, Yamazuki said:

It depends on the person. My partner didn't want to play Warframe until I told her I could actually rush her through the first few planets because the game is extremely slow early on. The new player experience is bad enough even DE acknowledges it. I've boosted my partner and two others through all the junctions and then let them solo the last few bits. With the time constraints two of them have, they wouldn't even be halfway through the junctions and would've quit the game anyways due to how dull things are early on. Skipping the first bit isn't that bad, just don't carry them forever, I've let some missions fail just so they can learn to do things on their own; and no matter what, anyone that's new is going to be forced to go back for materials whether they get boosted or not, simply because you get very little resources playing through the star chart once.

43 minutes ago, angias said:

There are 2 way to play the game....

All the way or casually.

If you do what you have planned.....he will play the game only because he can play with you and not because he like YOUR game.

48 minutes ago, Madas007 said:

Dude dont do it.. let him/her help themselves, i did this with my wife when she started playing.. 1 MR every 24 hrs .. smashed through the first 10 MR's really fast.. but she missed all the learning and really didnt appreciate the game play.. I gave her everything she could need, as I was being selfish and wanted her to be able to join my gameplay .. was a bad mistake and now she plays if she feels like, (not much)  and yes she got to MR15 be herself but just doesnt have the same attachment to the game if she had done the early stages of learning .. best thing you can do is give your friend assistance when they need it and maybe 1 good frame and weapon.. then just enjoy watching them stumble through the missions getting the crap scaried out of them when the stalker calls.. 🙂

the moment the guy made it out of highwall i gave him a moonlight greatsword and a dark hand in ds3

he later got around 200hours in the game and is now better than my 300hour dumb ass, and he can literally carry me if he's having a good day

you're just BS'ing me, husband man. your wife just doesnt like the game itself, not because she got boosted so much. there's a suprising amount of stuff to do in endgame tbqh

also did you see that i mentioned he plays dark souls? both of us can stomp this game  to  the dirt

32 minutes ago, BleedingDeathShadow said:

It’s possible, I was able to reach MR5 and unlock Umbra in little over a week.

thanks for reassuring me, i guess i'll stick to this plan

53 minutes ago, (PS4)psycofang said:

I have a weird feeling this mindset will end his friends enjoyment like it ends a lot of players enjoyment of the game through boosting.

By boosting youre infact taking goals/discoveries/reaources from him to get him to THE GRIND which is all warframes end game really is which without the numerous resources you accumulate BEFOREHAND to assist in creating various loadouts and choices youll subject him to GOING BACK to previous areas of the game that you powered him through as to which hes too strong for

This will increase his boredom as all the weapons he will need or be interested in require lower level mats and grinding. Unless youre also going to tell him X weapon is "worth it" which further bottlenecks his choices which only further extrapolates Warfames inherent flaw.

Also end game viable plan...in 22 days? 10 of those grinding soley Fortuna? What the hell?

h u h ?

what are you talking about?

all of that stuff that you get from missions in earth or whatever can be found on higher level planets and in much higher quantities (2000 plastids every ten minutes vs 500 plastids every  ten minutes). and going on a mad chase for a weapon is a core part of the gameplay loop from start to finish, if he doesnt like it hell quit before i reach day 5

and YES i  do need 10 days grinding for tuna because of daily standing cap. 220000  should do a lot really, and he might not even play that frequently. if he plays once a week then it becomes a 4 MONTH plan.

il y a 21 minutes, Space0ddity a dit :

also did you see that i mentioned he plays dark souls? both of us can stomp this game  to  the dirt

I disagree with your powerleveling stuff. I believe that by Boosting him this will drive him in a path where he will find everything the game has to offer boring.

But if he find replayability in dark souls that mean he will most probably enjoy the type of content warframe offer. (has nothing to do with difficulty)

I give you my pass on that one, but let him grind the 2 or 3 first mr the normal way so he can understand the value of pex and time management.

Edited by angias

The early game experience is pretty bad, especially the first few planets and first few mr
then after sometime, when you finally hit that "mid game", it gets a lot more fun. This is the stage where your weapons actually are decently good yet isn't quite up to the stage where you are too strong and can cheese everything while blindfolded.

Endgame on the other hand isn't really that interesting as most people probably are aware that warframe doesn't really have a true endgame aside from ikeaframe and fashionframe. Eidolons are fun at first, but after several runs, it gets repetitive.

I would say maybe give him some help, but don't spoon-feed them entirely, you can surely tell them what weapons you think are "good", similarly for frames, tell them all the information the game doesn't tell a new player. Since they aren't new to games, they probably can slowly find out what suits them the best after sometime.

As for giving them mods, feel free to give them the non-cracked versions so they don't have to waste resource on those, as well as a few QOL mods such as continuity, flow... etc. but I would say no more than those for the time being.

I can tell you one thing....if you drag your friend through this game he will most likely quit since he won't be doing anything and you will be doing everything.  I've seen a great many player quit because they were "helped".   Let your friend play...and you play along.   Play at the same "mode level" as him and have fun.   He will learn a bunch this way and you might learning something yourself.  

My absolute suggestion for at least the first three planets or so is for the person to either go Solo or only play in groups at similar levels to you. Avoid public games unless you absolutely need help. One of the most discouraging things for a newbie is to enter a map just to have some MR25 player doing all the work for them.

My advice would be to go it Solo. Every boss, every game mode. Build up a Warframe or two; a handful of weapons. If you play with someone else, make sure they're around your level OR are willing to sit back and let you do some of the work.Listen to advice on how to do things. Ask questions. LEARN the game the hard way without being babysat. That is how you have fun going through the starchart and the first half a dozen or so Mastery Ranks.

To this day I still tend to prefer playing Solo, just because I prefer the added challenge and not having to alter my playstyle based on who is there with me.That doesn't mea that I hate playing multiplayer; don't get me wrong! But I absolutely think I would have probably quit back in 2013 or 2014 if I had just had other people carry me the entire time.