Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why I believe region chat should be limited to game-related topics only

METAHUMVN

First, off I'm not sure if this should go directly into the feedback forums, so I'll just post it here since it's more topical. 

So I know that implementing the "Warframe-related topics only" in region chat would be tough...I've already talked about it with people from my alliance and others who are experienced "region chatters" and they all pointed it out difficult it would be to implement this...esp using kickbot technology. 

That being said, I couldn't help but visit region chat today, as I always do, and as usual, 99% of it is taken up with people arguing about politics, obscene topics, personal matters, etc. stuff that isn't related to the game at all.

Then I saw a few MR2s and MR3s asking about "how do to this or that" and their questions just went completely ignored because, guess what, a few loudmouths in the region chat would clogging up the entire log, arguing about their nonsense that isn't even related to the game. 

I've been a long-time analyzer of region chat, and from what I can see (esp in context of the recent changes in DE's mod policies), 99% of the "trouble" starts when people start talking about stuff that isn't related to the game. 

Yes, I've seen people hurl insults at each over differences in builds, weapon philosophies, etc...but most of the time, the **** happens when people go wayyyyyyy off-topic from the game and start talking about weird, unnecessary nonsense, esp politics. 

I understand that region chat is region chat and that it's meant to be a player hub...but the more online communities/servers I join, the more I realize how important it is to keep the conversation focused. 

We have clan chats and alliance chats. Most Warframers are part of Discord communities. There is no shortage of spaces to rant about politics. But region chat? It should remain PURE. It should not be a space for hotheads to spew non-game related nonsense and make it hard for ACTUAL Warframe players to learn more about the game. 

That's my take, agree or disagree, but despite the seeming impracticality of it, I think it's a something that really needs to be looked into. 

Edited by METAHUMVN
  • Like 2

There will always be a barren chat in every online game that allows large amount to players to talk together. That said, I wouldn't be opposed to a new channel for advice. When I have a dull moment I go to LFG and see if anyone needs help since region is just random chit chat. 

• Like 3

They could just rename regional to "off topic" and then add a support/help channel for newbs. 

On another note, I know that a lot of newbs questions appear to not get responses, but when answering questions, I often just direct message people instead of answering in-chat. I know that when I ask questions, I often get answers from multiple people via direct message as well.

Edited by IntheCoconut
  • Like 5

Honestly when I started playing I asked a lot of question in region chat, and they were always answered. Mostly right away, sometimes you had to ask the same question twice before someone noticed, and sometimes the answer was just "You can't" or "I don't know," but I never experienced not getting a reply at all. Of course the player count has gone up since then, so that's probably part of the problem.

1 hour ago, Cubewano said:

As others have noted, probably better to just create a designated help channel. 

1 hour ago, IntheCoconut said:

They could just rename regional to "off topic" and then add a support/help channel for newbs. 

On another note, I know that a lot of newbs questions appear to not get responses, but when answering questions, I often just direct message people instead of answering in-chat. I know that when I ask questions, I often get answers from multiple people via direct message as well.

1 hour ago, Zelmeno said:

There will always be a barren chat in every online game that allows large amount to players to talk together. That said, I wouldn't be opposed to a new channel for advice. When I have a dull moment I go to LFG and see if anyone needs help since region is just random chit chat. 

Has all of this state, the solution isn't to censor, but to make a place where questions can be asked.

DE has to make a chat specially made for Q&A, this way, people who have questions and people who want to use their time to help solving this questions can come together, but, obviously, this chat would need to have either a BIG timer (like 3 mins or so) and a system like : "[Username] has a question : [Question], click on the username to PM him." so that you dont need to wait 3 mins if you want to write a big explanation, this way, keeping squad requests and "I need taxi/help" comments on the proper chats.

• Like 1

I dont mind people not talking about game related stuff. I enjoy the odd convo from time to time regarding music, comics, movies, bewbs etc. What I dont understand is why people start discussing religion or politics in a game chat. If I cared for politics the slightest and wanted to discuss those things I'd probably do it on a political forum or a *shudders* Facebook group. I would certainly not do it in a game. And if I were to ever want to express my ideas regarding religion and which god is a royal asshat or not I'd probably seek the same forms of media for it, or you know, go to the local invisible friend's clubhouse.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:

I dont mind people not talking about game related stuff. I enjoy the odd convo from time to time regarding music, comics, movies, bewbs etc. What I dont understand is why people start discussing religion or politics in a game chat. If I cared for politics the slightest and wanted to discuss those things I'd probably do it on a political forum or a *shudders* Facebook group. I would certainly not do it in a game. And if I were to ever want to express my ideas regarding religion and which god is a royal asshat or not I'd probably seek the same forms of media for it, or you know, go to the local invisible friend's clubhouse.

Because there is a thing called "Trolls", and the people who actually take them serious are just people who took their bait.

What? Region chat is the collective Id of Warframe...the venting ground for the ramblings of the player base...if that gets cut off they'll take out that level of frustration and balled up insanity on the game itself as well as each other....Just remember the more of them that are in Region..then less of them are in the game doing donuts in place and using Loki to switch-teleport other players off cliffs... or self-radiating in the void to down the team...

In my opinion limiting freedom of expression would be the worst idea that I have ever read on this forum.(No Offence) DE already has made the chat strict enough as it is with their TOS rules and you basically want DE to turn the chat into a nanny state cog where  ideas of many different  topics can't be expressed? Ya no that's how you will destroy the warframe community.I think that being able to form many kinds of discussion  and ideas with your fellow gamers is a benefactor to being on warframe. People are annoying, then you can either  defend yourself or just report an hit the ignore button on them. It's that simple.Fight your own battles and lets not limit the chat just because a few people want to be a holes on it.Im not trying to be rude to you and have nothing against you as a person. I'm just passionately/strongly  against this idea and I like talking to people about random things on warframe,it helps make the game a lot more fun.      

Edited by (NSW)jja209

We need more chats and a command/toggle to access them. That's really about it. 

As far as lore goes I'm really curious what happened that made us decide that a single text based page was a good idea for trade sources. 

The trade should be separated to:

General -allow anything, because sometimes I want to just spend plat but don't need anything. 

Weapons

Warframes

Mods/rivens

Other -might not be needed, I kinda would like cosmetic drops that are trade able, they don't need to be super rare to drive buyers to be lazy for them lol, but this could just end up in general. 

Depending on population at times multiple channels could open or merge. 

Warframes 1

Warframes 2

Same goes for grouping and region. 

As for general groups,  I always find it best to just go to open squad and hope they have a headset, random partners can become long life friends. 

In the french server we get side tracked yes but we go back on topic not long after.

...i can't recall seeing the region chat going on the topic of politic.

When we miss an asked question, that happen every now and then when chat goea faster, the player will try to drag our attention. (AKA asking if we know anything about said subject (make sure to use @ when you respond))

Yes the region chat is kinda wild, but too much revulation would make it boring.

Edited by angias

Region Chat as a whole is just cancer in text form from what I've seen, I wouldn't miss it if DE straight up deleted it, and they certainly wouldn't get harassed by the "muh chat ban" crowd asking why they were banned and when it will be lifted, something which we see tragically often here on these forums nowadays. and yes, it's not uncommon for new players to ask things in region and get totally ignored, or get a useless/stupid answer. it would be far more beneficial for both DE and players to get rid and replace with a general game chat; anything off-topic results in a automatic kick. it could be a place where newer players would feel free to ask their questions without fear of negative reprisal, or being drowned in stale memes.

9 hours ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

Region Chat as a whole is just cancer in text form from what I've seen, I wouldn't miss it if DE straight up deleted it, and they certainly wouldn't get harassed by the "muh chat ban" crowd asking why they were banned and when it will be lifted, something which we see tragically often here on these forums nowadays. and yes, it's not uncommon for new players to ask things in region and get totally ignored, or get a useless/stupid answer. it would be far more beneficial for both DE and players to get rid and replace with a general game chat; anything off-topic results in a automatic kick. it could be a place where newer players would feel free to ask their questions without fear of negative reprisal, or being drowned in stale memes.

This is the worst idea EVER, dont you understand the more you censor a community the more toxic it becomes ?

I get that you dont like region chat, but there is an option to turn it off, plus, dont forget there is a region for each server (EU, NA, SA, etc...)

If you see newbies asking question and see everyone ignoring them, why not help them yourself ? That way they dont get ignored, i cant count the times I have awsered questions newbies had during the middle of a region flood, so, if i can, i am sure many other also can, plus most of the time people help newbies by DMs, so you won see awsers on region that often during a region flood.

Once again I state, the solution isn't censoring, but the solution can be the addition of a censured chat, DE can freely add a more censured chat if they want to keep it Warframe Related and just leave Region untouched, there, simple solution, everyone has the chats they wanted, everyone is happy.

Region chat is mostly a miserable little pile of meme spam at all hours of the day, the most helpful thing in there is kickbot.

If anything we need a chat dedicated to riven mods exclusively, its impossible to sell anything in trade chat anymore because of people spamming their 3-5 rivens at crazy prices.

Hell the riven selling situation is why a lot of people move over to the market site.

2 hours ago, Aldain said:

Region chat is mostly a miserable little pile of meme spam at all hours of the day, the most helpful thing in there is kickbot.

If anything we need a chat dedicated to riven mods exclusively, its impossible to sell anything in trade chat anymore because of people spamming their 3-5 rivens at crazy prices.

Hell the riven selling situation is why a lot of people move over to the market site.

13 hours ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

Simply just don't use it the chat then.Let others enjoy it though.No need to force your agendas down other people's throats. 

12 minutes ago, Methanoid said:

which would end up spammed to bits just like the other channels, also moderating chat channels aint free.

filtering behavior across more proper channels would only lessen spam, and running a successful business in general aint free, gotta invest to make returns.  

On 2019-02-19 at 7:49 AM, Cubewano said:

As others have noted, probably better to just create a designated help channel. 

Agreed.

3 hours ago, Methanoid said:

which would end up spammed to bits just like the other channels, also moderating chat channels aint free.

If running multiple Discord servers has taught me anything about handling spam, it's that creating more channels dilutes the nonsense. 

People are less likely to engage in spamming chat if the people who initiate that behavior are in a different channel where they can't be seen. 

Make a PHP chat, leave Region to it's idiocy.  The players who spam will stay there and the players who seek to give or get help will go to the other one.

Edited by MagPrime
  • Like 1