Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Melee Changes: Phase 1

[DE]Rebecca

As one of the three players in all of Warframe who actually uses channeling for more than just the occasional Life Strike (I have a whole Zaw built around it and it rules, you guys), I'm worried about how channeling interacts with weapon switching. Say I switch to melee attacks, toggle my channel, then want to shoot someone. Given that channeling is now the alt fire button, and my Phantasma's artillery globs are a heck of a lot better than its wide-angle spray, what happens when I start shooting it? Does channeling toggle on and off as I shoot? Does it stop entirely when I've pulled out my weapon, forcing me to reactivate it when I start swinging again? Does channeling just stay active until I've entered melee mode again and I turn it off (I'm hoping for this one, btw)? I'm really unclear on this and it's troubling.

Furthermore, as one of Warframe's two controller users on PC, I'm concerned about moving the channeling button to alt-fire in the first place. Alt fire is pressing down the right stick for me, which has been a major annoyance for things like Amps and the Phantasma that want to alt fire more than they want to primary fire. Given that the intent of the change is that switching to melee is done by attacking, I'd have to toggle on channeling mid-combo, which will be impossible given that my face buttons and my right stick are controlled by the same thumb. This is honestly less of a concern if channeling is preserved once it's turned on, since then I could just attack at the start of a mission and then hit the button and forget it, but if it's not that's going to be terribly frustrating.

Also the lack of word here on how the new controls will affect controller users, or some assurance that Steam's controller profile writer will be properly updated this time, is troubling. I worry that my game is going to break because Steam is going to try to overwrite Warframe's controller with options that no longer exist. It's already had a minor effect on my game (I can't switch to the Emote wheel or switch between fishing/conservation options with my controller) and this has the potential to be very, very bad if not handled properly. Sadly I have to use Steam's controller support because the in-game control options are not granular enough. Given that the whole reason controller users got massive, sweeping changes to their layouts was to unify updates for both users, I can't help but notice that every time a new set of controls get added or existing controls get overhauled, DE is always silent on how it will affect us. I mean, this has to go to consoles eventually, too, right? Talking about it now can only help speed up that development.

On 2019-02-22 at 1:00 PM, [DE]Rebecca said:

We are going to make Melee ground slams aimed, and as a result more controllable. You will be able to use your aerial advantage to aim, and then target the Ground Slam to more tactical end results.

'We're replacing all Melee FX with the new clean basic ones!' You can see what that looks like here:

New and cleaner FX have been created with the idea of beautifully short, highly detailed lifespans. Not infinite - meaning the 'Constant Weapon Trail' option will be removed as a result of this change (at least for Phase 1, we really do think it looks better removed).

AI hit reacts are getting updated! Enemies will have a more visceral/realistic response to the various hits you dish out.

for Ground Smashes, i'm going to hope for having two modes for them? such as aim sharply down to go straight down, OR, use Fine Aim to tell it to go to a specific position?
and then Air Melee can be what you normally do at almost all aimed angles except sharply down?
that way Air Melee would have more flexibility than it currently does, and ensures that Air Melee can also be consistent no matter how hectic Combat is getting at that moment.

new Effects sounds neat. though, perhaps it would be good to consider trading a Constant Trail option, for whether to have the Effects at all. for perhaps if some prefer to keep the noise level down in a game that has an incredible amount of visual noise.

those hit reactions are neat, will definitely improve the experience, usually.
it does make me wonder though, if perhaps actual Gameplay will feel some differences as a result of it too. such as the age old problems of Enemies being able to continue attacking or using Abilities even while being staggered, or Ragdolled flying through the air, Et Cetera....
basically in short, the one thing i'm really looking for is... can Staggers/Interrupts, ACTUALLY interrupt Enemies?

lastly i still have to bring up and insist the importance than Air Melee is still a functional tool. it's a critical, core part of Parkour and it being removed or completely changing so that it cannot fit that Mobility role anymore would be a massive blow to high skill Gameplay.
so i can only implore, that Air Melee being able to assist as a Mobility Tool is so incredibly important. (and also why for years i've been asking for 'unarmed fists' as a backup Melee when you don't have a Melee so that we always have access to all of our Mobility Tools, instead of Gun-only Sortie Modifiers being -Mobility Modifiers which is just stupid)

I don't comment a lot or usually post on forums... but I wanted to make sure I threw my opinion out there. 

hate the idea of automated blocking. I really enjoyed manual blocking and even had a full Chroma build based around S&S with Guardian Derision. It was a fun way to play the game, if niche. The idea of something like that being completely automated is something I don't like at all. 

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I hope it isn't ignored and is at least considered.

Also... allowing Valkyr to use guns while Hysteria is active feels wrong. Being able to use your ranged weapons while keeping the invincibility... you no longer have to commit on being forced to melee only anymore.

And the last thing you need to do is making the game even easier. This is one of the reasons of why you are having trouble with creating challenging content with replay value. 

Please be extra careful with oversimplifying the game, for instance the auto blocking change is completely unnecessary. 

Just now, Aeron216 said:

Also... allowing Valkyr to use guns while Hysteria is active feels wrong. Being able to use your ranged weapons while keeping the invincibility... you no longer have to commit on being forced to melee only anymore.

And the last thing you need to do is making the game even easier. This is one of the reasons of why you are having trouble with creating challenging content with replay value. 

They showed it on the stream yesterday. Valkyr loses her claws and invincibility when she shoots, but the energy still drains. I think that the stored dmg will be dealt also if enemies are near you, but that wasnt shown

6 minutes ago, borko95 said:

They showed it on the stream yesterday. Valkyr loses her claws and invincibility when she shoots, but the energy still drains. I think that the stored dmg will be dealt also if enemies are near you, but that wasnt shown

Hey perhaps I did miss that bit, thanks I'll have to check it out again. 
Still, I don't think it goes well with her theme. 

11 minutes ago, borko95 said:

Seems that if the move still drains energy, perhaps she should keep the effects of the ability being active, as stated it still drains.

6 minutes ago, WindigoTG said:

So, what is going to happen to combos that require a Block input?

Are they going to be rendered unusable?

Or are they going to get some other type of input. which most likely will be terrible and render them equally unusable?

If I'm not wrong, they're removing key input for combos entirely. Meaning you'll just have to mash E and it'll cycle through the combos at random or at least based on the direction you're moving.

38 minutes ago, Tazdingoo said:

If I'm not wrong, they're removing key input for combos entirely. Meaning you'll just have to mash E and it'll cycle through the combos at random or at least based on the direction you're moving.

I'm aware that they're going to turn melee into mindless shtako with melee 3.0. I'm currently asking about melee 2.9.

This looks great and all but....

FTLOG  PLEASE Increase the Range of Kronen Prime and other tonfas.

The range is so small it feels like its broken as in bugged. Needs a doctor to look at it. Going home to tell parents with a brochure to explain what you have now Bad.

Doesnt blocking with melee consume energy??  If its automatic....then we will just be losing energy automatically too??  

Most of the time I only walk into missions with a melee weapon equipped.  I love melee.   For right now im excited to see how this all plays out.  

I am sending all the coffee and love to the art/animation team!!!!!  I've seen some of the stuff on twitter and am very excited for that aspect of the melee changes especially!!   *crosses fingers for a TRUE dual sword stance and or single/double reverse grip stances*

PS: Im sure the sound guys are being put to good use for every part of the game but please let them upgrade mandachord some more.   More bars(variable 4-12),  Stretched notes,  new instrument packs!!!  (my favorite Fortuna somachord song was "Null Unit",  the synthesizer sounds + guitar makes me want to play Shadowrun(sega genesis) so BAD every time I listen to it!!)

6 hours ago, WindigoTG said:

I'm aware that they're going to turn melee into mindless shtako with melee 3.0. I'm currently asking about melee 2.9.

For Phase 1 it appears that combos and their execution are not being changed at all. Everything should still work mostly the same, with a few key differences: 
...1) I'm not sure how blocking combos are supposed to function after this update given the removal of the block button. I imagine it's not a super high priority for them since they are likely changing the combo system entirely, but it would need a sort of 'band-aide' fix as we transition to the new system. 
...2) You can shoot your gun during a combo and then go back into a combo within a window so that you can weave melee and gunplay together without completely interrupting a combo. I'm excited about the implications here: There are a lot of powerful close range weapons I don't really use because they seem redundant next to melee weapons but the idea of unloading a Tigris Prime during my combo or having a heavy knockdown secondary to augment my melee attacks is really appealing. 

Several devstreams ago they showed off their plans to simplify combo execution so that most melee weapons use similar logic for every combo. The gist of the idea back then was that melee combat should be a movement oriented affair rather than memorizing a specific button input to execute attacks. You would have a combo for standing still, a combo for moving around, and a combo for closing the distance. 

46 minutes ago, (PS4)AbBaNdOn_IGN said:

Doesnt blocking with melee consume energy??  If its automatic....then we will just be losing energy automatically too??  

Blocking only drains energy while you are channeling; This is not being changed in the next melee update. 

Specifically channeling while you are blocking reduces damage by 100% while blocking without channeling reduces damage by the amount listed on the weapons stat card in your inventory. I think the only weapon category that reduces damage by 100% without channeling is weapon/shield, but I'm not on the game to look. 

i really think CHANELING should become like a rage mode, when you equip a melee you start doing some combos, then start to fill a bar, when the bar is full you can activate "chaneling" mode or rage mode, this mode will boost your damage and speed, will no longer drain your energy, maybe every kill in chaneling mode can give you a small amount of energy, that would be an alternative to gain extra energy outside arcanes, orbs or focus, the mods can boost the energy gain, damage, duration of this mode, this can give you a real reason to change weapon in mid fight and get something of it, what do you think? this could change the way we mod our melee weapon to raw damage (like now) or chaneling focused for more utility 

15 minutes ago, (PS4)Schobii564 said:

How will the removal of blocking affect aim gliding? Will aim gliding only be available in zoomed in primary/secondary form?

Probably which sucks cause i like most changes but that change i still would like to be able to aimglide with my melee weapons.

Archived