Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Melee Changes: Phase 1

[DE]Rebecca

☺️ Hey DE, on behalf of me and my friends, we're enjoying the melee changes so far but we came up with 4 suggestions that would make it even better for everyone:

1. Give us an option in the settings menu to disable the forced weapon swapping from equipped melee to primary/secondary when aimgliding/right-clicking. Switching weapons on left-click/firing is already adequate for most players.

• What we currently have is highly problematic because we can no longer block and have damage reduction while aimgliding (since right-clicking takes away your melee weapon). Being able to block at all times is crucial for Warframes like Excalibur ☹️

2. Also give us an option in the settings menu to allow for channeling to be held or toggled.

• Right now it's difficult for seasoned players to get used to the new forced toggle, and it also makes parrying and brief channeling (such as for Life Strike) a bit less intuitive.

3. Increase the melee stance combo resume time window (when weaving in some gunplay) to match with the melee hit combo counter time of 3 seconds.

• If a major goal of this rework is to encourage interplay and synergy, it seems natural and still balanced to allow resuming a stance combo within 3 seconds of quickly swapping to shooting, being the same as the base melee combo counter time. The current melee stance resume time window of about 1 second is really not enough to be productive or satisfying with the melee-gun interplay... 😕

3. Keep all the phase 1 improvements but also bring back the option to equip and put away melee weapons if we hold down "F".

• Not having the ability to draw your melee weapon without taking a big swing seems silly, and I think most people would like having the option to sheath and unsheath melee weapons as before. We want to be able to see those beautiful weapon draw and sheathing animations again when we hold down "F" 😄

Hopefully this feedback is at least considered! Thanks again for the support 🤗

Here are some things I noticed while playing around in simulacrum :

• The limit between aerial and slam attacks has always been vague, but with directional slam attacks, this is getting problematic. Since we have a new melee cursor, could you add a visual limit to it, like attitude indicators in planes ?
  • Electric arcs seems to be less visible with some weapons (I see them instantly on heavy blades, but I have a hard time spotting one on a hammer).
  • Bug : If you shot while meleeing (toward the end of your swing), the gun sometimes keep shooting as long as you don't press the fire button again. The timing is quite precise, but seems to be always the same.

Edit 1 :

• The bug above also works with aiming. It is easier to reproduce with slow attack speed.
  • The dual wielding speed is way faster than before. I haven't seen anything about it in the patchnote, so it may be a bug.
  • I think I will get used to the weapons switch with left click, but I am missing the parry on right click. I know it can be used to switch weapon without firing, but we cannot aimglide without zooming anymore. I don't know, maybe we just need to get used to it...
  • As mentionned below, the delay after an aerial attack is still here. Since you are planning to change aerial attacks in later updates, a fix to that would be super nice !
  • Not melee related, but Ivara cannot bullet jump anymore while prowling. It was working for the host, before the update, so maybe the patchnote is missing this fix. Or maybe I missed it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edit 2 :

• Oh, I forgot about it, you can parry while capturing a target, which seems a bit odd.

That's it for now, I'll edit if I see someting else.
Also, thanks for the update, you guys are awesome !

update SUCKS, now you need to choose a melee weapon with less dynamics, so as not to fly away somewhere! When using the old mode of battle, there was a lag, you now need to wait a few seconds for him to change weapons, if not wait warframe back switched to melee! I hope you fix it! 

There is still dead, unresponsive animation frames when doing a forward air-melee-dash close to the ground and landing before the animation ends.

I was hoping the new melee system would fix it, but it does not.

Repro:
1. Jump low to the ground.
2. Position the camera just slightly upwards to not trigger the slam melee.
3. Press melee button > warframe performs the air-dash-melee
4. If done correctly, warframe lands before the melee attack ends.
5. Try to melee again > can't until the animation frames of the air-dash melee pass, even though they're not playing anymore.

PLEASE fix this. Losing control of my frame during combat really throws me off.

2 hours ago, Shifted said:

There is still dead, unresponsive animation frames when doing a forward air-melee-dash close to the ground and landing before the animation ends.

I was hoping the new melee system would fix it, but it does not.

Repro:
1. Jump low to the ground.
2. Position the camera just slightly upwards to not trigger the slam melee.
3. Press melee button > warframe performs the air-dash-melee
4. If done correctly, warframe lands before the melee attack ends.
5. Try to melee again > can't until the animation frames of the air-dash melee pass, even though they're not playing anymore.

PLEASE fix this. Losing control of my frame during combat really throws me off.

Yes the lag after an air melee attack is pretty frustrating.

The new melee-system is nothing but vague and heartlessly unfinished. I mean, you just replaced quick-melee with equip-melee and disabled the options, to use multiple buttons to channel and block.
And if you use the built-in mentioned "old system" melee-swirl with the primary fire, you end up attacking with melee, before you are zooming in to take a shot.
Another untested disappointment : /

I don't want to go into a big sob story here or anything. But I have been playing this game for awhile now. Not as long as some but for a good while all the same.

I have nerve damage in my left hand it's not something that can be resolved and as such I have had to learn to do many things with this issue. One of those things is playing games. Games like warframe. In the past for warframe this hasn't been an issue for me. I used an xbox controller and remapped it in a way that was suitable for me needs. However after the change and the forced key binding switch I can no longer map my controller in such a way for me to use it effectively.

In the past my aim button, and block button was the same binding. This worked well for me. I don't channel to be honest and frankly I'm not even sure what channeling was set to prior to the change. But after the change my block button became my channeling button and because of the melee quick change it means I'm not longer able to aim with this setup. So just rebind it right? Well the issue is we are being forced to have the channeling button be either the "aim,fire,or melee buttons". Now I can't see any of those options actually working. I mean while not being able to aim is a hastle not being able to shoot or melee would make the game completely unplayable. 

I did try going back to the default but it creates a similar problem for me in a different area. My normal key bindings are left shoulder for sprint, and right analog press for crouch,slide. Now on the default setting that right analog is set to secondary fire and won't allow me to remap it as I wish for the same reasons as above.

Could these restrictions on keybindings please be removed so that those of us who need to use more unique configurations can? Even if it's something like needing to toggle an "accessibility" option to go back to a completely open keybinding setup that would be fine. 

Thanks for your time in reading this.

Biggest problem for me is that we are still switching between two different modes all the time, every time I melee attack or aim glide without thinking about it I switch from one mode into the other. So I have no way of knowing if I can block or channel in a given situation or what the F button will do when I press it (will it put my melee weapon away or actually switch my weapons as advertised). We have no way other than to look at our character and confirm if he has his weapon out or not, by that time though it's to late and the situation over. Quite frankly I do not understand how this system got past play-testing. It is super confusing to guess all the time in which mode I'm currently in. This is the opposite of fluid, I need to know with certainty what a button will do when I press it, at the moment that's not the case anymore.

I'm a PC player. I tend to play melee over ranged in all RPG / action games I come across and the change you just did to Waframe hurts me a lot. I joined Warframe playerbase 116 days ago or so becasue I have found here something i was missing in other games - the parkour system with the separate melee and ranged modes you could modify to your preferences. 

For me the problem is with Devs taking away permanent melee mode and forcing us to be primarly ranged. Adding that toggle melee option does not bring the same melee experience as it was just one day ago.

Before we could swap ranged / melee mode on "holding F" or using dedicated button and stay in melee mode as long as i wanted. That toggling option you just introduced does not have the same functionality as permanent melee mode. To go into melee mode now I need to use quick attack button. With melee toggled option sure I can spam melee attacks with my left mouse button, but since blocking on demand is gone whenever I right click I go into ranged aim what puts me in ranged mode with holding my pimary or secondary. To go into melee I need to quick attack again which i can't really bind to left mouse button becuase I'll loose thee ability to shoot ranged weapons when needed. This is also extremally annoying when I try to melee glide and suddenly im gliding with the view of a sniper scope for example. On excavation or mobile defense missions when I pick up the Energy cell or data pad being in melee mode and either drop it or put it where it belongs I'm being put back in ranged mode again. Is parkouring with melee really gone or am I missing something and it can be redone via keybindings?

Using right mouse button (aka aim / aim glide) now cancels your ongoing Exalted Weapons, like Excalibur Umbra's Exaltd Blade. "Your left mouse button is gun fire, always, instantly. Your right mouse button is now aim, always, instantly." Was fun playing Warframe for 116 or so days, but its not anymore.

I know that mojority of Warframe playerbase focuses on ranged weapons but there are players like me that build their game experience around melee combat and now you just took away almost all the fun form it. You aim with the changes was to make switching from ranged to melee and back more fluid, but in was made in such favor for ranged mode that IMO you more or less broke the melee system rather than improving it.

Melee 3.0? I think its "Ranged 3 : 0 Melee" with this patch.

Please bring back:

- permanent melee mode,

- "hold F" to switch melee / ranged modes,

- pressig specific button to go into melee and stay there without the need of pressing quick attack buton,

- manual block for melee gliding.

I use a PS4 contoller with my laptop.

First issue - If I have the controller plugged into usb and open warframe I can not login. I can enter my password  after that I have hit every button on the controller, keyboard and mouse clicking and nothing happens. I have to close warframe, unplug controller, reopen warframe, enter password and login works with enter. Once game starts I can plug in controller.

Second issue - In game with controller I attempt to melee and I can swing weapon one time then nothing. If I switch to pistol I can then swing melee weapon one time then nothing.

I really hope to see this fixed soon because until then I wont be able to play. I am currently trying to decide if I should invest into a mouse and learn how to play all over...

is there a way to change back channeling how it worked before this messup? At least make it a players choice. Right now its totally frustrating to use it and its not always working when i want. I would like to have back the realiable life strike instead of useless swapping. Please at least make it player choosable.

The biggest new issue for me, aside from finishers and getting stuck swinging over heads attacking down a ramp, is that switching from the mining tool to melee is really stiff. I think it was actually smoother before the changes, as I'd melee to hit nearby stuff, but immediately be able to right-click and start mining again. Now there's a delay between sheathing weapons and accessing the mining laser again. 

I want the option to roll melee-only and not auto-swap back to firearms. 

Went into an invasion capture mission for the Grineer. The target was that Corpus unit that uses the cold beam to slow you down. I am ranking my Sancti Magistar at the same time. Capture target puts maximum cold stacks on me, and even though I am swinging at him, my character doesn't do anything else except blocking. The animation of the swing is so slow that the autoblock trigger overrides any melee swing you want to do. 

Please, equip melee button, manual blocking back, please!

I love the new changes. My transition from ranged to melee and back to ranged is smooth, and a lot of my actions feels very intuitive right now. My greatest gripe in the previous version was actually having to press F for a while to switch to melee mode, which I couldn't find a reason nor a want to melee if I'm going full-on ranged mode. 

So far, the only thing I'm not used to is trying to get channeling to work. I personally think channeling, in this case, would be more of a distraction than another level of complex gameplay. 

Generally, the direction seems to suit my want of Warframe being a fast-action combat. 

1 minute ago, Lorenzhart said:

I love the new changes. My transition from ranged to melee and back to ranged is smooth, and a lot of my actions feels very intuitive right now. My greatest gripe was actually having to press F for a while to switch to melee mode, which I couldn't find a reason nor a want to melee if I'm going full-on ranged mode. 

So far, the only thing I'm not used to is trying to get channeling to work. I personally think channeling, in this case, would be more of a distraction than another level of complex gameplay. 

Generally, the direction seems to suit my want of Warframe being a fast-action combat. 

There was an equip melee button on old control scheme. Didn't actually need to hold F. 

Melee click

Very nice changes but I want to attack with my mouse left click like before 😕 pressing a million times a key is not the same as use your mouse click... if I change the attack key to use the mouse I can't shoot with my mouse, what happend there? 

Edit:

The option is in the menu to attack with the click Sorry u_u Nvm 

The FX are awesome 😄

I posted here yesterday, but I wasn't very eloquent. This is a copy/paste crosspost from another thread, because I feel strongly about this topic. 

I am a melee-main PC keyboard player, and this melee update has been VERY FRUSTRATING. I would estimate that melee weapons take up about 60% of my inventory slots. On most missions (unless I'm leveling up a specific gun for affinity farming), I would guess that I spend about 80% of mission time in melee attack mode, charging up my combo counter, and only 20% using primary or secondary weapons. As such, let me just explain my keybindings and playstyle to clarify.

IN THE PAST: So, since I'm a melee main, I had my primary melee key mapped to the LMB, and channeling mapped to the RMB. I hit CAPSLOCK to block and TAB to slide. I had LSHIFT mapped to Roll (though I don't roll much). I had my LALT mapped to Switch Weapons so I could quickly go back and forth between blade and gun with the tap of a thumb. I had Quick Melee mapped to the G key, and I used it very rarely - usually on missions where I'm trying to rank up a gun, and I want to open a container without wasting precious ammo - just hit G, whack container with blade - move on. 

ADAPTING TO THE NOW: So yesterday, I get into a mission, and I'm trying to equip my blade and it's not working. I just keep switching between primary and secondary guns. Because I use melee so much, it is VERY DIFFICULT to hit a key on the keyboard while I'm also moving around, sliding, and jumping. The fingers that I'd use to hit G are otherwise engaged in movement. 

So, my best option as a melee main was to keep the Melee key mapped to LMB and now I've remapped primary fire to LSHIFT (as I said, I wasn't Rolling much anyway). Because I don't use guns as much, I can still fire with my pinkie finger on the LSHIFT while controlling movement with ring, middle, and index fingers, jumping with the thumb, and aiming with the RMB. If I want to aim/glide and fire from midair, I now have to hit SPACE to jump, then hold down W for forward, pinky on the SHIFT to fire, and the RMB to aim. It is a clunky, uncomfortable solution, but it's the best I've been able to figure out under the circumstances. 

And yes, like many others I'm a bit frustrated that the melee combos that rely on the block button are now broken. It's also frustrating that the game switches me back to gun mode every time my pinkie accidentally brushes the LSHIFT key, taking me out of auto-blocking with my melee drawn. 

All in all - I acknowledge that my play-style may be a corner case and I was not what the DE developers had in mind when they introduced this. However, from reading the forums, I'm seeing that I'm not alone. There are a LOT of melee main players that are very dissatisfied with the loss of control we now face, and the loss of enjoyment we feel from having our favorite class of weapons somewhat nerfed and de-stabilized. 

I applaud progress and development, but we don't want to be left out or left behind. If there was some sort of general TOGGLE that could go back and forth between the old method and the new, that would be GREATLY APPRECIATED -i.e. a toggle that still allowed one to have a dedicated keyboard key to switch between gun and blade, so that both Melee Attack and Primary/Secondary Fire could both be mapped to the LMB rather than forcing one of those options to the keyboard

Please very kindly consider this request!

tonyb010ny

Hi autoshield is not fun please put it manually, im was using Ack & Brunt for fun with the shield now i saw the warframe auto using the shield is hilarious , awful i can't controlle it.

Uninterrupted Combat : OK... i get killed so many times today because autoshield activate later or the lag? idk never happen this in the past.

Aim not working properly! i have xbox controller LT not aiming, instead the warframe cast enrgy for melee wepons attaks.

it's so awfull cant controll the melee, is like is not there anymore when switch wepons! please give us an option to keep like old melee system, i beg you please today was rage quit alt F4 not fun at all 😞

I see two kind of opinions when it comes to the new melee system, some people think it's great and I suspect these are the kind of people who never relied on blocking or channeling for their game-play style. For them it's all + why would they complain. However the people who played a lot in melee stance in the past don't seem to be happy since blocking and channeling are really hard to control right now. The new system seems to be a compromise between this new idea of fast fluid melee and range switching while preserving blocking and channeling for people like me. So since I feel like you tried to address people like me I'm telling you this is not what I wanted, I rather leave blocking and channeling on the cutting room floor and not use them at all before I play this compromise that doesn't really work either way.

Personally I didn't see what was wrong with the melee system in the first place, it was just fine, more than that, it was the reason I fell in love with this game. But seeing that you have another direction in mind, I say blocking and channeling have no place in the game anymore. Either you give me full control over them or quite frankly I don't need them. At the moment it's just confusing. And I'm really not the kind of guy who complains just because something changes. Like I said, if you had decided to scrap blocking and channeling completely, I wouldn't have been happy, but I wouldn't have complained either, if the new solution was at least fluid and coherent. But it isn't and the fact that you try to make people like me happy by keeping those legacy mechanics feels like insult added to injury. I urge you, decide on one or the other, it seems you can not have it both ways.

Archived