Would love to see whips and dual daggers with new melee implementation plus old kings of dps single swords

I also wanna know how Zenistar launchers (and other heavy attack melee gimmicks from other weapons) will function with the new heavy attacks. Will we no longer have to hold the E key? We just use the mouse for heavy attacks?

13 minutes ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

OPTIONS:
We are adding a toggle to preserve one aspect of the older melee system. You will be able to toggle an option, allowing you to continue melee attacks with the left mouse button once in melee mode.

One small lingering question about this: How do I go back to shooting? Aiming down sights, using 'Switch Weapon' keybind or something else?

Overall, great changes and I'm hyped for when it comes out!

• Haha 1

I would like to see the interactions of this phase with Sancti Magistar heal, which is currently bugged, and if we'll be able to heavy strike instantly now. 

Wonderfull news at so many levels.

I want to say Volt, but a part of me is curious of seeing Excalibur interchanging combos with Slashdash

I am concerned about Blocking being solely if you have the mob shooting at you in your reticle. With how much and how quickly you/the mobs move that means you'll be starting and stopping blocking a lot, which means reduced effectiveness over holding a key. Also how are you supposed to activate the taunt of guardian derision, or block melee attacks?

• Upvote 2

Consider me intrigued

Particularly with what is to come with full release

Edit:

A few quick thoughts,

Will there be a separation of weapons into different families coming?

Eg. Guandao and Orthos are both considered to be polearms but the Orthos is closer to a staff than a proper spear - would it be possible to divide weapons where necessary or will that only be with stances, again referring to the difference between the polearm stances.

As a lot of the polearms are closer to staves than what could be considered as a polearm (not to mention Spears have been requested for a while now).

Secondly, 

Due to Channelling becoming a toggle, considering Exodia Brave (?) - will the energy regeneration break through the toggle/ or do we need to rely or orbs for the purpose of energy rather than a separate bar?

Finally for Nikanas,

Can we have an option to keep the blade out?

Edited by Phyrak
Added questions

15 minutes ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

Exalted weapons will also benefit from the uninterrupted swaps!

Does that mean we'll be able to use firearms while having an exalted melee active? That'd be huge convenience upgrade for taking care of Arbitration drones, especially for Baruuk since toggling Serene Storm refills some restraint

• Upvote 2

Neat changes, lookimg forwards to them however, will weapon swapping be changed to work client-sided? Instant swap is pointless if we still have to wait for the swap tl finally apply. Really easy to notice on the current system when we get a bad host and try to swap guns (or go to operator mode) or in battles where swapping weapons quickly can make the difference between life and death.

• Upvote 3

What about Air Melee attacks (not slam)?

They've always been a bit clunky, leaving you exposed if you do them near the ground because it has to finish its animation. How does it work now?

Do you have to aim straight up to do them otherwise it does an Aimed Slam?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, OvisCaedo said:

Goodbye melee aimgliding, I guess? Actually a little disappointing with some of the weapon passives that only count when the weapon is out, like the Rakta Dark Dagger's reduced visibility.

edit: hopefully you guys are going to take an immediate look at any of the weapons with blocking mechanics along with this. stuff like the Vaykor Sydon is... bad to begin with, and very incompatible with auto-blocking, so this is a perfect time to change it!

Vaykor Sydon should have flash on slam or heavy  attack

I want to know what form the Melee Holstering Animations we purchased with Platinum will take under this new Melee System.

Holster Customizations for melee weapons consist of 2 things: an animation and a holster position.

I see no reason why holster positions would change with the new update. After all, it's just a static location for a weapon. I'm not worried on this front.

However, the way it stands I feel like Holster/Draw animations for melee weapons are basically going to be removed from the game. This is extremely troubling to me, because it is paid content (however insignificant it may seem) that allowed me to customize my character. Instant melee attacks mean that the twirl animation present for Gunblade Hip Holster animations will no longer play, for example. And this is not all: Sword & Shield weapons have only one holster position, with the holster customization being exclusively tied to High Draw/Low Draw animations. I purchased a High Draw animation with Platinum.

I have a unique holster customization for pretty much every class of melee weapon in the game. What, pray tell, will happen to this stuff I bought?

• Like 1
  • Woah 2
  • Upvote 5

All of this is sounding great

20 minutes ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

We'll let you know when release week comes for PC. 

buut no update next week? :V

17 minutes ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

OPTIONS:
We are adding a toggle to preserve one aspect of the older melee system. You will be able to toggle an option, allowing you to continue melee attacks with the left mouse button once in melee mode.

As with others, I'm 100% on-board with this now! Looking forward to seeing this in action 🙂

Thanks for the option to continue with LMB for melee. Now us melee players can still feel like we're using a dedicated melee mode.

Will Ivara's Artemis bow allow her to swap instantly to her melee?

Right now, if you use Artemis bow's Alt-fire to fire a sleep arrow and set enemies to finishers, you cannot pull your dagger out to do so. You gotta turn off artemis to be able to do a finisher

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I would like to see either ash prime or Excalibur umbra using a nikana (I usually melee only using skaijati or nikana prime for everything so I am interested in seeing the new FX with that weapon in particular) thank you if you use it or the frames.