Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Melee Changes: Phase 1

[DE]Rebecca

2 hours ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

Blocking with a melee weapon is no longer keybound, it is automatic when facing enemies who are dealing damage to you in melee mode. Your Reticle determines all!

(...)

Your right mouse button is now aim, always, instantly.

So what happens to block combos and weapon effects that require the use of the block button (like the Synoid Sydon)?

When I decide to melee mode, I often equip only the melee weapon. When I do that, what happens in this system? Will I be able to aim glide block? What about if I aim with no ranged weapon equipped?

A little sad I missed the stream so I couldn't ask the questions live. ¦D

Also can Valkyr stick to melee only when exalted? It's kind of one of her key sacrifices that I liked and felt right.

Am I correct in assuming ack & brunt with electromagnetic shielding and guardian derision used to draw agro and damage off of other players has been destroyed I feel bad about a support skill being removed. 

Autoblocking does that mean reload and shoot interrupt from reflex guard is now a feature on all Warframes

I'm tired of purple natah... Can I have Tyl Regor on comms or ordis if I cant. Will pay plat for Tyl Regor voice option!

Nope, the steam didn't alleviate any of my fears. It just looks like quick melee died for a slower, more methodical pace in a game more hyperactive than a kid with infinite money in a sweets shop.

Like, don't get me wrong, that looks like there's a lot of nice new content in there that seems like a genuine improvement, but the slow, boring combos carrying over and being unable to use quick melee... quickly just looks like a complete deal breaker. I'd genuinely prefer this get delayed again and released as the complete package rather than in phases, considering phase one, which I assume we'll be stuck with for a long while, sounds like a terrible step backwards.

2 hours ago, A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n said:

Thanks for the option to continue with LMB for melee. Now us melee players can still feel like we're using a dedicated melee mode.

This also made my day. I tend to use both the keyboard and LMB when going dedicated melee, simply to release stress from either finger used. This will be great because it will mean RMB to switch weapons through aiming then E to swap into melee and LMB to attack along with E.

Fantastic changes and beautiful VFX work. Please take all the time you need to get this right. Ignore all the haters screeching about no "real" content updates. As if a near complete redo of an essential basic game system is not real content.

For the people complaining about loss of "quick melee" perhaps you can add a mod or give some weapons a special property that is something like: build one charge every 10s up to 5 charges. Each melee attack will expend a charge to improve the damage, attack speed, crit chance by 100%

PLEASE Get creative with the new parameters. So many melee weapons feel exactly the same except for bigger or smaller numbers. Play more with block %, block cone, slam size, directional slam travel distance, slam attack speed, etc.

Edit: Just some other thoughts. Melee has historically had significant problems with invincible enemies that have tiny weak spots and very high flying enemies due to a lack of being able to precisely target a point and lack of proper air combos. How is DE planning to address this? 

Another issue that needs to be addressed is the loss of hyper armor while performing combos. It is currently extremely easy for enemies to stagger/knockdown a warframe out of melee attacks and outside of mods that affect knockdown recovery, knockdown resist, stagger recovery. These moves are often near instantaneous with no clear tell so a melee player usually has no choice but to eat these moves and slot very specific mods to counter this resulting in the removal of all skilled/reactionary gameplay. Monster Hunter World and Nier Automata solve this by introducing I-Frames into a roll/dodge as some specific moves such as the longsword foresight slash well as giving enemies extremely obvious tells when they are about to attack (in Nier Automata enemy eyes glow a very clear bright red against tan/dark backgrounds plus very obvious audio cues).  What is DE's solution to this?

Edit 2: Another thought. Is there any concern about furthering the already very high popularity of shotgun type weapons? With the new slam attacks and combo resume mechanics closing distance is easier than ever. High end melee builds output extremely high damage which can now be easily chained with 100% status shotguns or arca-plasmor style weapons. New players may still favor ranged combat as they do not have access to lifesteal/shield steal options. As a veteran player who does have access to such things, outside of superbosses like eidolon and Profit taker and I am finding it very hard to justify the use of slow firing precision weapons like sniper/burst/semi-auto rifles and pistols. Perhaps DE could introduce more tilesets with wide, gaping chasms? Or reprogram enemies such as the bombard type manics to stay out of melee range except for very, very brief periods while they attack?

2 hours ago, OmegaVitae said:

The sugar coated "don't worry, it'll be ok" tone this post takes makes it sound like ok is exactly what it won't be; that melee lovers/mains should prepare for the full final melee 3.0 to be a net loss of power compared to 2.0. Can you confirm or deny that melee's ability to scale as hard as our enemies do, power at clearing crowds, and simple fun level are intended to be preserved through the many mechanical changes made as melee 3.0 advances?

as a melee main who'll often not even equip any guns at all, the thought of melee 3.0 being a nerf in disguise when all is said and done about it actually deeply worries me for the continued enjoyability of Warframe.

Have some faith in DE. Try not to be a Chicken Little. The Sky is not falling. DE will take our feed back into account as they have said time and again through out the history of Warframe. You want proof of that? Khora was to be released as an IPS frame with the release of a revised damage system It did not happen. Why? Because DE listened to our feed back and retracted it. Melee, and weapon swapping need an update. It looks like on paper DE have come up with a good idea. Let's give it a try. If we do not like it, DE will either tweek it, as I am sure there will be tweeks, or scrap it all together. Relax. DE will see us right.

So weird question I have, how's Exodia Contagion going to work? That's the plague star zaw arcane that shoots a projectile after bullet/double jumping. This is a really cool and powerful ability, although the self damage sucks, so it's easy to kill yourself with as it is. While this arcane's equipped, basically if you want to slam, you have to aim STRAIGHT down, no angles, not even a little, or it's the projectile, I wonder how this will be impacted on that.

Also stream earlier was talking about various exalted weapons and how they'll work with this and that's great. But it also got me thinking, when it was mentioned how Mesa's exalted weapon isn't really a regular 'weapon' functionally per se, can we get Khora's whip setup as an actual weapon in the arsenal? As it stands it IS moddable, but it's setup in the old school inheritance style copying mods from your melee weapon. This kind of encourages picking a specific melee instead of using more (which would be fantastic with the upcoming changes) and modding it similar to how you want your whip ability to work, it would be really great if that was separated like the others.

"CHANNELING
Channeling is now a toggle set to your alt-fire button when in melee mode.
Your 'F' button now exclusively swaps between Primary and Secondary weapons with a tap.
Your left mouse button is gun fire, always, instantly.
Your right mouse button is now aim, always, instantly.

OPTIONS:
We are adding a toggle to preserve one aspect of the older melee system. You will be able to toggle an option, allowing you to continue melee attacks with the left mouse button once in melee mode."

I've been doing this ever since I first picked up this game - glad I'll no longer need to manually reassign these keys whenever I do a reset.

You guys should have an additional goal. The one that in MANY devs from many games is often spoken too late.

#6 You NEED to make this at least as good as Melee 2.0 was. Not only because people will miss X or Y but because there needs to be an alternative to gun-play that gives you reasons to choose it over guns. Currently, we have that (especially with Zaws) but not by much. Any loss in power at this point could be a huge shift backwards is our, quite frankly balanced PvE meta. That being said though. I like the changes and hope to see this melee beat our the likes of For Honor,  Absolver, Ninja Gaiden, and all the great hoard or dueling melee games depending on which way you guys go with this. (Having other melee enemies to 1v1 or maybe haves to slice up skillfully).

The things I hope for are Skill expression, Style and power.

Thanks DE!

"Blocking with a melee weapon is no longer keybound, it is automatic when facing enemies who are dealing damage to you in melee mode. Your Reticle determines all!"

I have mixed feelings about this D:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            And mainly because of mods like:

latest?cb=20171007154050latest?cb=20171007150219latest?cb=20171007154057latest?cb=20171007150641

And it's just a tip of the mountain, there are probably many more "problematic" mods or even weapons (like Vaykor Sydon).

In conclusion, being unable to activate blocking by simple click of one button is straight-up (and also colossal) nerf for these mods, making them unviable, unplayable, more useless than they ever were before. Where is the place of these mods ? Or is there a place for them at all ? Where will they belong after melee 3.0 ? @[DE]Rebecca

Will wait to see what it plays like before judging. 🙂

The one thing that concerns me is melee combat. I use the LMB for melee, to spare the finger-cramping pain that used to be tapping E to swing a sword at someone. I currently use E to channel. With this new system, will people who use mouse for melee be penalized, or can we also benefit from all these changes?

Ok, you said that we can use Melee 3.0 with Glaive and Pistols, but will that be expanded to other one-handed weapons as was promised some time ago, or was that changed?

If this is coming, is it coming now, or later?

20 minutes ago, Orfeusz said:

"Blocking with a melee weapon is no longer keybound, it is automatic when facing enemies who are dealing damage to you in melee mode. Your Reticle determines all!"

I have mixed feelings about this 😧                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           And mainly because of mods like:

latest?cb=20171007154050latest?cb=20171007150219latest?cb=20171007154057latest?cb=20171007150641

And it's just a tip of the mountain, there are probably many more "problematic" mods or even weapons (like Vaykor Sydon).

In conclusion, being unable to activate blocking by simple click of one button is straight-up (and also colossal) nerf for these mods, making them unviable, unplayable, more useless than they ever were before. Where is the place of these mods ? Or is there a place for them at all ? Where will they belong after melee 3.0 ? @[DE]Rebecca

Yeah, there's also shield weapons and
latest?cb=20180629024026

GROUND SLAMS

Aerial dominance is a key part of Warframe - you have full freedom to not only weave in and out of combat on the ground, but bullet jumping and aim gliding from above is one of a Warframe's most lethal advantages. Current ground slams instantly interrupt all momentum, direction, and cancel any aiming to slam you down right where you are. We are going to make Melee ground slams aimed, and as a result more controllable. You will be able to use your aerial advantage to aim, and then target the Ground Slam to more tactical end results.

Correct, this is a problem. According to what i'm reading however, momentum is not maintained or stored. The issue this fixes seems to only be aiming. Not to mentioning is seems you would still be locked into a ground slam. Might suggest a ground skid.

Have it do the same thing as a ground slam only have you skid once you hit the ground. This could allow more movement but i'm aware it could also be an issue for locking people into animations so the solution would be the ability to cancel this. In addition, you could choose to skid on an enemy if the tech for that is in place. Most importantly though, the duration of the animation without canceling shouldn't be longer than the old slam animations lock in.

IF incentive is needed for slamming straight down, maybe give it some natural finisher damage? Say, 10% of current damage could ignore armor on heavy weapons like hammers Great swords etc? It would incentivize it but the animation would still take long enough that no one would go around spamming it but when they do try it it would FEEL good to do.

4 hours ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

BLOCKING

Blocking with a melee weapon is no longer keybound, it is automatic when facing enemies who are dealing damage to you in melee mode. Your Reticle determines all!

Does the Reticule Determine All rule for blocking apply when you're walking backwards, so long as we have melee weapon out?

Otherwise how do you block while backing up?

Poor Baruuk if this isn't the case.

Archived