Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Warframe Rework Suggestion] Ember: The PHOENIX Rework {Reaction to Devstream #131 Ember Showcase}

FoxFX

FIRST IMPRESSION ON THE WISP AND EMBER CONTROVERSY

We haven't really understood the actual theme of Wisp in general, though there has been talk on her being something of a "portal" and some say she has a theme on "plant-life" with the "Power of the Sun" ability and the deploying support stems her 1st ability creates. Overall, in terms of theme, Ember and Wisp differ a lot.

Unlike Ember, I notice the stats of Wisp to be much higher in terms of Health. Wisp may have some better sustainability in higher levels as opposed to Ember where most of her current abilities. Balance-wise, I feel having the more Health-stat Warframe have some channeling laser like Wisp's "Solar Beam" seems more fitting on Wisp as opposed to Ember who can't really take that hit.

I did this "Phoenix" form as a major answer to Ember's sustainability problem. This included the new Fire Blast Augment suggestion "Phoenix Blase" and the entire mechanic of Ember's Pyromaniac which were possible directions to that problem.

• 2 weeks later...

AFTER THOUGHTS ON WISP'S 4th ABILITY AND THE EMBER CONTROVERSY

I honestly believe that the idea of giving Ember the ability that Wisp has for her 4th to not be a very good idea. There are means where Wisps can defend herself while firing her 4th ability. However, in relation to Ember, who DE has stated they are making her more of a glass-cannon, such an ability like Wisp's 4th into Ember would do more harm than god in the long run. Ember already has enough attack-type abilities, and she will need to remove one of the three offensive abilities she has now to make some room for a more self-support ability.

I'm waiting so long for the complete rework. Ember is totally unplayable on high-lvl. And even if you manage to survive she's usless. They simply nerfed the only ablility Ember actually was good at: and it was a freaking boring AFK build. Come on. Do something about it.

Releasing new frames and refusing to adress problems like that is insulting.

• Like 1

On 2019-05-28 at 9:27 AM, TeaHawk said:

I'm waiting so long for the complete rework. Ember is totally unplayable on high-lvl. And even if you manage to survive she's usless. They simply nerfed the only ablility Ember actually was good at: and it was a freaking boring AFK build. Come on. Do something about it.

Releasing new frames and refusing to adress problems like that is insulting.

The best we can do is continue to be on topic on this Warframe and let more and more players be aware of the concerns many of us have with her.

Some sacrifice is required to make for Ember, but I hope the issue will be pushed more.

THOUGHTS ON THE JAVLOCK CHANGES AND "SELF-DAMAGE" TACTICS FOR EMBER

"Self-Damage" tactics has been a common practice for us players to take advantage of certain Warframe abilities that rely on being Hit or Damaged to some extent to make the best use of them. The best example that comes around includes Chroma and the Vex Armor ability which increases the overall defensive and offensive support he provides for himself and allies. We can only assume so far that DE is at the moment tolerant at discovering strategies like these.

Now, with this patch came a change to Javlock which seems to remove its self-damage property, and this seems to have become some major downside to Ember players. There was a time when someone told me that a -Damage Javlock Riven is what is best to use with Ember to get the self-recovery and the energy from Ember's passive. Although this self-damage tactic still exists thanks to the Penta Napalm Mod, the Javlock changes was a bit of a hot topic in the Discord I was discussing with.

I'll conclude with this: Ember, according to [DE], was meant to be a glass-cannon type Warframe thus I cannot support the need to damage Ember herself to justify that she is good. In all honesty, she is falling very fast compared to the older and newer Warframes we have now, and her stats and abilities doesn't seem to support the idea of Ember needing to damage herself to receive the best of something.

UPDATE ON ADDITIONAL MECHANIC POST IN OP

I will be exploring and talking about a possible "Wildfire" Mechanic for Ember with this rework and how it can play out to spread Fire to other enemies.

I mostly concour with everything you are saying here, and this rework would bring her close to where I think she needs to be. A good test to see how powerful a warframe is, is to play in the simulacrum at max level and turn off invincibility, and try and kill all the enemies and then see how much energy you have left and how difficult it was. With ember unless I run a melee build with life steal on status, she gets one banged from across the map, and her damage ability’s pathetically tickle the enemies. She’s all guns, no ability’s. She has a good stun, but a short stun should be a 1 at this stage in the game, and considering how powerful revenant a ult is and it’s range even with negative range build, I think ember is indeed objectively the worst warframe currently in the game, vauban can hold up and collect enemies of any level together OF ANY LEVEL, can he kill them? and what about the other enemies shooting him from afar! that’s where vauban really has holes in him. Ember is the same, she has pathetic damage, and nothing covering her, not that I need a crutch ability to fall back on, but something to draw enemy attention like octavia’s resonator I think alongside the high damage, or a tank ability that scales, like Mesmer skin which scales BEAUTIFULLY, you can take 17 shots that contain ANY amount of damage, but only 17... perfect ability in my opinion. That’s what ember needs, she needs an ability that takes the scaling and flips it in a new way like revenant. and she needs insane damage, on par with the scaling saryn has at least

Linking a statement DE made in the past doesn't matter because they'll easily change their minds on a whim.

They'll say a feature is a bug and vice versa.

They'll say they'll never do one thing and then do it the next day.

They develop Warframe the way they feel like it and despite your enthusiasm, well wishes and great ideas, they'll just do what they want even if it contradicts a theme or precedent.

I have plans for either my next Warframe Rework/Discussion article to be on Nekros (solely on his Soul Punch), Nyx Reimagined, or a second round on Zephyr. Until then, I will soon prepare the next point on the OP for Ember.

Edited by FoxFX

I've decided to move my next topics on abilities of certain Warframes that are rarely used in certain Warframes and point out ways they could be redone to be more suited to their playstyles. Excalibur's Radial Javelin, Nekros's Soul Punch, and Mesa's Ballistic Battery are abilities I will be writing about soon. If there are some in the more usable Warframes you feel will need to be written on, let me know.

I am still piecing together on the [Wildfire] Mechanic for Ember. It will be heavily bsed on Fireball first.

23 hours ago, (PS4)MyUnhealthyHobby said:

No. I like the fourth ability you have for Ember. It is pretty much things that I have in my Rework kit. I don’t have Fireball or Fire Blast in my kit though. 

I see. I have read over your rework and it did seem you are more interested in making Heat-proc'd enemies open some opportunity to explode. It isn't the direction this rework article is presenting at all though. This rework article was to use some existing mechanics in Warframe and reinvent Ember with them.

I was a bit caught off guard with the meaning behind your gif.

Edited by FoxFX

9 hours ago, (PS4)chibitonka said:

oh cool another Ember reworker.

Is there something more you wish to comment on? This rework points on mainly replacing World on Fire and Ember's passive. Do you have anything specific to talk about your experience with the Warframe?

9 hours ago, FoxFX said:

Is there something more you wish to comment on? This rework points on mainly replacing World on Fire and Ember's passive. Do you have anything specific to talk about your experience with the Warframe?

It's nice seeing another trying to rework her. 

Oh boy... that's going to be a list xD

I'll just sum it up best I can. wof is a joke so seeing it gone is great since it fails to live up to the namesake. Secondly; Ashes, Remains and tiered flame intensity with devastating burning as tier grows.

Otherwise there is going to be a massive list.

On 2019-06-08 at 6:50 PM, (PS4)chibitonka said:

It's nice seeing another trying to rework her. 

Oh boy... that's going to be a list xD

I'll just sum it up best I can. wof is a joke so seeing it gone is great since it fails to live up to the namesake. Secondly; Ashes, Remains and tiered flame intensity with devastating burning as tier grows.

Otherwise there is going to be a massive list.

It will be apparent that more and more players will start to realize her and other Warframes are falling behind. It could be a bit inconvenient once the New War arrives.

Edited by FoxFX

30 minutes ago, FoxFX said:

It will be apparent that more and more players will start to realize her and other Warframes are falling behind. It could be a bit inconvenient once the New War arrives.

true. Unlike most tho ember got kicked really hard. Like possibly worse than mag did when she first got nerfed.