Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Uninterrupted melee-gun flow is great but why get rid of mode switch button?

Meesha_Eko

So, Devs say this a lot about not having to hold a key to switch to full melee mode in context of making the flow more fluid. Which buffles me... since I don't get why they haven't just done this:

1) Get rid of melee-gun switch animation, make it instant
2) Use "Switch mode" key to instantly switch from gun to melee mode and back
3) Have at least three inputs available in each mode: attack button, alt. attack button and block button
4) Give an option to use same keybind for each of three inputs in either mode
5) Profit?

Seriously. I've never used "hold button to switch to melee". There are two separate keybindings in options right now: one for switching between primary and secondary and one for switching to and from melee. Why are those never mentioned?

How to make easy to pull off yet diverse melee combos? Use two separate attack buttons and block button in different combinations. I've played several games that've done it like that and I had tons of fun comboing.

Using same key bind to attack in both modes. Doesn't it add even more fluidity in dual-mode combat? Give this option to people and I think you'll make a lot of them (me included) very happy.

What was the problem with this approach so that it was cast aside in favor of sacrifing blocking etc? Having to press additional button to switch? But... we're using two buttons to bullet jump probably thousand times a day and having a blast with it! No complains I've heard.

Would love to hear Developers' feedback on this... but not sure how to reach them. Hope this post gets noticed. 🙂

48 minutes ago, Meesha_Eko said:

since I don't get why they haven't just done this

Simple answer: Because they don't want to.

48 minutes ago, Meesha_Eko said:

Would love to hear Developers' feedback on this... but not sure how to reach them. Hope this post gets noticed.

What do you expect them to say?
They made this new system called melee 3.0 and the first part of it is almost ready for rollout. Why would they throw that new system away so they can implement your system?
And let's be real, your system wouldn't make the combat as fluid as the upcoming melee 3.0
You want to still use an additional button for switching weapons. Even though with instant switching this would be quite fast, you then have to press another button for an attack.
With melee 3.0 you just have to press one button (the attack) and you will attack, instantly. No need for another switch-button.

You asked why DE wouldn't do it your way. Because your way isn't as good.

3 minutes ago, WhiteMarker said:

And let's be real, your system wouldn't make the combat as fluid as the upcoming melee 3.0

It would, actually.    Its essentially same.  Just different "switch" trigger. 

With DE version you will press Melee button to "equip" melee (it WILL perform attack upon switching, even if you dont want).   In this version you press "switch" button that just changes form Gun mode to Melee mode instantly, along with button layout (if you customised).  

25 минут назад, WhiteMarker сказал:

Why would they throw that new system away so they can implement your system?

🤔 It isn't all that different to throw away much... if anything at all.

In fact, they kinda implementing it already with option to use same attack button for both modes. I don't now how new combo system is going to be, but not using separate input mode seems limiting to making it easy to pull off yet diverse and complex. 

27 minutes ago, Kainosh said:

It would, actually.    Its essentially same.  Just different "switch" trigger. 

With DE version you will press Melee button to "equip" melee (it WILL perform attack upon switching, even if you dont want).   In this version you press "switch" button that just changes form Gun mode to Melee mode instantly, along with button layout (if you customised).  

But why would you ever want to press the melee button and not attack?
Why would you want to get your weapon out and do nothing with it?

12 minutes ago, Meesha_Eko said:

🤔 It isn't all that different to throw away much... if anything at all.

They would have to change something that is already ready to ship.
So a massive step backwards and the money spend on the changes would be wasted.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WhiteMarker said:

But why would you ever want to press the melee button and not attack

To have more buttons available? To not sacrifice blocking? 

Also, in case a melee weapon can be thrown, fired (you need to switch to do that) you will not need to wait for swing animation to finish...as swap has no animations.

12 minutes ago, WhiteMarker said:

They would have to change something that is already ready to ship.

They dont need to change it tho....its just alternative input layout that allows to manually block.

Blocking isn't being sacrificed, it's being made automatic. The only aspect of blocking that is sort of being sacrificed is melee-"aim"-glide. All other aspects of blocking will function exactly as they do now except you will no longer be required to press a button in order to use it. 

The thematic point of the system they've set up is to make it so that gun/melee does not feel like separate modes, but instead are all tools in your arsenal for use as you see fit. They want you to be able to fire off your primary/secondary mid-combo, which doesn't work nearly so well if you need to press a button to switch to the weapon to then hit another button to use the weapon.