Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nightwave: Series 1

[DE]Rebecca

I really love the new seasonal challenge and the rewards. I'm particular happy about the addition of Umbral Formas.

I however do not think that this is an appropriate replacement for the existing alert system:

• Alerts were a good source for some rare resources like Argon Crystals or Tellurium. The former are unreliable to farm in the Void and newer players cannot access the Void before they reach Phobos. The latter can only be farmed somewhat reliable on Uranus which takes even more time to reach for newer players.
  • The same applies to some common resources like Plastids and Nano Spores which are easy to get once you've unlocked most of the star chart. But I remember that as a new player getting 300 of either of those from an alert was really helpful.
  • Archwing alerts were my preferred way to level up Archwing equipment. They often provided more XP than the normal mission and you had much better chance to get a full squad of four players which again helped with getting more XP and made high level Mobile Defense missions much more doable.
  • Instead of speeding up the access to Auras mods the new system will very likely slow it down because they compete with e.g. Nitrain Extract for the rare Wolf Creds. It was easily possible to get one Aura and one Nitain Extract on a single evening of playing the game. It seems that it will take one week now to get either an Aura or 5 Nitrain Extract.

I fortunately have all the Alert Auras, dozens of Nitrain Extract and Tellurium. So this doesn't affect me very much, at least not yet. But instead of improving the situation for new players it made it worth in my humble opinion.

9 hours ago, Leon-Darkheart said:

sorry mates but this post pretty much DESERVES a medal (or at least some plat).

It is nothing else then a very heavy grindy syndicate, not balanced about "Reliability" nor time nor real life. You always, ALWAYS, could have jumped in 10 minutes to play quickly a alert which was there if it WAS there. Now? No. You have to grind for it.

this is so true, and most concerning.

Being a fairly new player, I don't have a lot of things. I'm locked out of Sorties (haven't reached the War Within yet, maybe I'll get there next week, maybe not) and Eidolon hunts (because I obviously don't have any gear for it and don't want to be a burden in a group) at the moment. I don't own all the cosmetic helmets, a part of Vauban and I'm running low on that goddamned Nitain. Don't have a lot of potatoes, too.

I only hope I'll get those 300 Wolf Cred in this time-gated event. What will it get me?
A Vauban part I'm missing - 25 cred
Two potatoes - 150 cred
Nitain x40 (which won't cover everything you need to build with it) - 120 cred

That's it. I could buy those helmets for plat, sure. Though when I'm happy to throw some money for plat to spend it on skins and slots, buying something that was accessible in 5 minutes... Isn't worth it.

I really don't see if there's any opportunity now for the new players to get these things without spending plat or begging in a chat for a carry.
And it blows, if you ask me.

Roughly how many weekly challenges would I need to compleate in order to get to rank 10? Based on the number of weeks the Wolf of Saturn 6 is available for? Just dont have the time to do all the challenges, and i'd be kicking myself if I missed out by 1 or two bounties.

After having spent a day with the new system, I want to echo something that so many others have said: there needs to be a reliable, farmable way to acquire Wolf Creds outside of the level-up system. Not for me, mind you, because I have almost everything under the sun I could want from the alert items shop, but for those players who don't and who don't have access to the methods and materials needed to rise up the Wolf ranks as quickly and efficiently as possible.

I've seen a lot of math in this thread but a material amount of it makes a core assumption that is wrong and makes the whole calculation even worse: the numbers only hold if the player can do all of the things. And if you're just starting out, you can't do a sortie (with or without friends), you can't do a Hydrolyst, heck you don't even have a reliable source of Ayatans given that the best way to get them is Arbitrations. Don't get me wrong, this is really cool and a nice gesture towards veterans so they can get rewarded with exclusive cosmetic junk (which, thank you, I want more cosmetic junk - I can take or leave the exclusivity part, but I love cosmetics). But newer players need a lot of the stuff on from the Wolf Cred shop - Auras, Potatoes, Nitain (so much Nitain), Vauban, Weapons... Practically anything that isn't cosmetic, and yet the lack of ways to get Wolf Creds slows the gains to a crawl.

You know what the worst part about logging in to Warframe is? It's logging in and realizing you have to do that for another 100 consecutive days to get the mechanical thing locked behind a time gate, knowing it's going to take you literally years to catch up with no mechanic to get up to speed to where other people are. And for many new players, that is enough to make them leave. Y'all have now added a system that is materially similar to that, only instead of locking cool but ultimately unnecessary mechanical stuff behind it, you've locked actual, game-altering, necessary things behind it and made it so the players who need it most have the hardest time to get it.

Also, and this is more of an aside than anything, but kind of a rude thing to do to players putting all the helmets and other cosmetics first on the shop list and hiding things like Vauban and Nitain at the bottom where they may not be easily noticed (and even less so given the way you changed the slider bars so they're not always apparent that you can scroll down). This is going to trap a nonzero number of players into wasting Wolf Creds on stuff they don't need. Please put the crunchy stuff first and the fluffy stuff second, at the very least.

My tl;dr suggestion? Do what some other people have said: reintroduce an alert system but instead of rotating, random rewards it's missions guided by Nora that give you Wolf Creds upon completion. Even if it's a small amount, like five, having a constant source would go a very long way towards fixing what is currently the most broken part of an otherwise cool idea. And don't do it for me, do it for the new players who you guys are on record as saying deserve a better experience.

after completing all of my weekly challanges, I feel like I can now give my 2 cents on the current state (hotfix1) of the system.

the idea behind it seems like it has great potantial, the reward list defently looks inticing.

edit: from what I've noticed it looks like the system looks like it rewards 4 ranks per week, meaning it was designed for around two and a half months.

but the fact is, you only get about 1 pack of 50 wolfcred per week, and the pricing means that you get 1 alt helm bp and 5 nitan a week, down from a much higher rate before...

edit: when given a 2nd glance on the reward list, not all weeks seem to even grant wolfcreds, rank 9 and 28 are the pattern breakers, making it 6 ranks from 6 to 12 and rank 24 the last time you get wolfcreds.

edit(cont): this sums up the total of wolfcreds to 6 rewards of 50 or a total of 300, making it very limiting to what you redeem it on.

the daily challange is easy enough to complete in 1 mission, but the fact that there is only 1, doesnt give you a sense of daily progress.

the capture of the escapees feels underrewarding... 50 standing each feels way under what it should be.

edit: to add some clearity, it would take 20 captures to match 1k stading of the daily challange, as they come in 3s the closest number above is 21 making 7 instances of capturing 3 before you match 1 daily challange... and they do seldom apear, making it far less than every 7 missions...

edit: and if taken to the 10k that is per level is 200 captures, 201 targets, and 67 spawns

still have yet to encounter the wolf it self.

edit: the wolf is cool, but I think some of its damage reduction might be overkill, he already has armor, health, damage, and the amount of damage reduction he has makes him feels too bullet spongey

what I would like to see are 3 daily challanges basic, intermediate and elite, the basic grants wolf creds, mainly aimed at newer players, intermediate part standing part wolf creds, and elite grants standing only. this would give a sense of daily progress that the system seems to be there to do, along with push players to have more thing to do.

Riiiight... I'm way less impressed by this than I was when it released.

Here's a suggestion though. How about giving us a few random "acts" each day, like the alerts used to be? Cause this is a step back so far. Need some more nitain but don't have the creds cause you used them to buy nitain? Great, wait a week until the weeklies reset cause the next wolf creds are 3 ranks away. And if you need more after that, how about you wait 2-3 weeks since the next wolf cred are 6 ranks away?

...Did you guys really think this one through? With the previous alert system we could get a steady source of nitain each day. Now? Locked behind not only a grind wall, but a TIME wall as well? What the heck?

Also, remove the expiry date on wolf-creds, that thing's still bullsh*t.

The new nightwave alert system really sucks. It will certainly keep me playing less and less.

Bring back the alert system that has proved successful for the past 6 years or watch your player base dwindle.

Why mess with something that has worked fine for 6 years - you could just have improved it by adding more alert missions and some better rewards.

- Cool stuff, good work team !

- Mildly unconfortable thing for me though : weekly challenge "slot 5 ayatan sculpture" doesn't really engage people to play... rather it incites in sleeping on your ayatans in case that challenge comes back in future weeks...

for example : if I wasn't so lazy and cleaned all my ayatans last time I needed endo, I would not have been able to complete it, because I would have needed 5 "new" ayatans to find in missions... you can find 5 ayatans of course, but they are not common enough to engage people in hunting for them reliably (well... people as lazy as me at least...)

In that sense, that challenge is odd compared to the others that can be readily farmed consistently...

Warframe has been grind for years and a lot of fun grind, but now it started to scream "Do not miss a day or you miss this big fat reward (Umbra Forma, I look in your direction)... And by the way you HAVE TO play mission x for 9 times, mission Y for 5 times, get this and that item ONLY TODAY! AND FOR THE NEXT 30-40 DAYS: rinse and repeat! And have I forgot to tell you that you HAVE TO make this every day from now on?" a bit too loud.

Just like all these F2P-Games of that I thought Warframe is none of.

I really prefer choosing which grind I am doing when logging in... not fearing that I miss something special.

5 hours ago, (PS4)Onder6099 said:

Love the way how players always find a reason to blame DE. If DE put 1k Plat as a reward somewhere I can bet that someone will appear who will cry it’s not enough.

we are not players who try to blame DE or cry over.

but, we are not players who will sit back and say nothing to something we do not like.

we provide constructive criticism.

the new alert system is not new player friendly, and i do not mean its layout, its layout is cool and all, it is fancy, i agree, it looks good.

but, it all boils down to what we have to do now in order to reach to the items we are interested in.

for example, i am a mr26 player, who has played the game for about 1 and a half years or so and owns almost everything in the game, and i do not really need a lot from the alert system anyway.

but i still do not like it, as it is right now, of course.

i cannot imagine how a newer player would feel, (mr-wise and/or time-wise).

and btw, many other old players (timewise and/or mr-wise) say exactly the same thing.

the reason is coz it is a grindfest to reach to an item we previously needed 5-10 minutes to reach with the old alert system.

sure, there is some newer items, but it is debatable if all of those items there are worthy of all the grind we have to put ourselves into.

the new alert system is a nice idea, but the execution of it is not good, due to all the time gates and rank gated items.

we literally now have to grindfest to oblivion to get to a catalyst, or a slot, or a nitain, for example.

previously, we only needed to run 1 certain mission and 5-10 minutes later, we had a nitain.

sure now, it is a bundle of 5 nitains, but there is no benefit if we need days to reach it.

same thing applies for the other items in there as well.

DE, guys, c'mon, we love you and all, but we do not live in game, we also have lives and jobs!

thanks for reading!

So these are my thought on the new alert system. You are free to disagree with me these are just my opinions.

I don't know how long the first series is going for I assume its gonna be longer than a month. So I'm not really sure how much time we have to grind out the 30 tiers of rewards and with that i don't know which acts are worth going for. Am I supposed to complete all the weekly and daily acts to get to tier 30 by the end of it?

I mostly have complaints about the tasks that you have to do or acts as they call them. They seem tedious and most of them make me do thing that I would otherwise not do. For example today the daily act needed 25 scans of enemies or objects. I probably hadn't used the scanner 25 times in a week let alone in a day. The other one being a weekly one where you need to do 8 bounties in plains of eidolon. Man am I grinding my teeth to finish this one. I hate those bounties but I want the rewards from the nightwave. Another on is fully socket 5 ayatan sculptures as a weekly. I am not that far along in the game but that seems way too hard for that act to be just a weekly instead of at least an elite weekly act. Maybe the sculptures are more common later in the game???

I see the good points with this system for one its not really that time based. An average player can still grind out the rewards that he wants without waiting for the correct alert to roll around with the item that he needs which is nice. But I feel this limits the amount of rewards we can get and even locks them behind what now feels like a pretty huge grind compared to before.

With the previous alert system I wasn't really looking for anything most of the time and when anything interesting rolled around like skins or resources I would just do the alert and be happy that I got something.

I feel like this change to the game is tailored for experienced and older players rather than newer ones like me and has made the game even more grindy than it already was.

After trying the new nightwave system I think the teir rewards are great and I totally appreciate all the hard work that must have gone into this simultaneous update release but I really feel strongly that wolf credits shouldn't be tied to this teir system instead I think it would be better if the wolf credits were handed out by some othe means like possibly the challenges themselves. You could have the challenges give out wolf credits based on standing so 1000 could give 1 credit, 3000 could give 3 credits, 5000 could give 5 credits, etc.. The reason I suggest a change like this is because for new players this system feels almost punishing. The old system let player do a mission and instantly get something they wanted/needed. Now instead newer players are forced to spend tons of time(many hours or even days) doing missions for nightwave standing instead of taking the game at thier own pace just to hopefully get enough standing in one week to get some credits so maybe they will able to get something as simple as 5 nitain extract, an aura mod, or a piece of vauban. I also fear that players worrying about getting wolf credits will be so desperate for standing that they will attempt challenges(sorties, edilons, onslaught, etc.) they are not equipped or ready for and in the process might get scared away from some content. The other problem is players who are ready will end up encountering lots of inexperienced player who aren't ready which will ultimately make it an unenjoyable experience for all involved. I know the warframe community is great and loves to help but even experienced players(which i dont claim to be fyi) can't solo everything if they get paired with 3 newbies who are attempting content too advance for them. 

And just because I saw it suggested by others I would like to say I think some sort of combination of the old and new system would be a interesting idea. You could have slightly revamped old alerts offer all the things that aren't included in the new system and possibly have them offer super rare alerts that could offer small amounts of wolf credits just so agian the new system won't feel so punishing to newer players. 

26 minutes ago, Cerbenix said:

I feel like this change to the game is tailored for experienced and older players rather than newer ones like me and has made the game even more grindy than it already was.

I agree, I feel like this is the main issue atm. The alert system was always more of a new player thing. I barely even looked at it these days, except to go grab forma or a catalyst every now and again. And tbh, these changes do seem to favor older players more, because they won't miss the more "mundane" stuff like nitain, potatoes and other resources, while at the same time getting new cool rewards and more stuff to do in the game. I honestly really like the Nightwave, when compared with the old alert system. But I can see how it hurt new players that could easily and quickly grab stuff they needed from the old alerts. 

Maybe Wolf Creds should be available at every Nightwave mission you do, like others have suggested. 

Please buff the spawn rate of The Wolf. Done so many random missions and he didn't spawn. Only his wimpy butt friends.

Another thing that I'm concerned is the weapon that he dropped. I'm afraid that some people won't get the weapon full parts before the season ends.

Please, once again, buff his spawn rate or maybe create a certain condition where you could mark player/force spawn.

Don't make this another Brakk/Despair/Hate bad bs drop rate again.

2 minutes ago, .LeiA._ said:

Please buff the spawn rate of The Wolf. Done so many random missions and he didn't spawn. Only his wimpy butt friends.

Another thing that I'm concerned is the weapon that he dropped. I'm afraid that some people won't get the weapon full parts before the season ends.

Please, once again, buff his spawn rate or maybe create a certain condition where you could mark player/force spawn.

Don't make this another Brakk/Despair/Hate bad bs drop rate again.

Agreed, I've done almost everything in the dailies/weeklies at this point and still haven't seen him a single time. 

I might be a bit late (coz i have a busy real life) but i still jumped a bit over some comments and read some of this guy here:

Love the way how players always find a reason to blame DE. If DE put 1k Plat as a reward somewhere I can bet that someone will appear who will cry it’s not enough.

And then cry about content drought.

You have whole week to do them. Tbh, I made half of them with friend in 1hr.

I duno about you but first, your first comment was pretty much egoistical. yes, there will be always "such kind of people" but if you go and read some of the later ones at least, like mine on page 7, a lot people made the math, shown numbers, told actual reasons and stuff with pretty much are nearly to good "facts".

The people you talk about are maybe the ones who didnt understood the old nor new system in the slightest which is more like "trolling".

And even if they would put a 1000 plat reward into the poll, which they will never do anyways, as i said in my comment back on page 7 (read it here: 

"What the current system lacks: 

• Reliability: Missing a time limited mission with an Alert-only reward means waiting for it to rotate back into the live Alerts, at which time you may not be available (work, school, walking the dog, sleep, you know, the important stuff!). "

Most important is for me the last part in the (). Look, if you want "just" a umbra forma, you have to be pretty much online nonestop to get this stuff, which seems pretty much antiproductive if you try to bring reliability into this system. A person who HAS a good "RL" and is busy half down the way has also sure not the time to rank up this high in that kind of system, which pretty much nullefies this argument of adding reliability into it if you also think about, if the "event" is over, all ranks and currency are lost and cutted back to zero - which pretty much means even if you were close to get the stuff you wanted, all your effort you did is now worth nothing. "

Its also nice if you are able to finish stuff were people have time for to do it in a week and you did it in one hour with a friend - but im also sure that it also gives players who "enjoy the game" which might have a 8 hours+ job, a family, a girlfriend, son and daughter or other busy stuff in real life to do then sitting nearly nonstop on their pc. As i said already, i already played over 1200 hours, mk 24 and i might say "meh i dont need those stuff anyways" (mostly sure the umbra forma and the new mods of course) but lets look at all new players now, the ones who began to play warframe and maybe about mk 0-8.

As i said as joke some comments ago, im sorry for people who didnt got by now vauban prime sure sounds funny at the first place but thinking about it, this frame alone will be now torture to get (if it wasnt before heh), just thinking about the 25 Nitain LONE you need to get from the new system.

The problem? you dont get consistent the currency you might "need" for the items you "want". lets have a small look at the ranks for that:

(from the wiki)

"Rank 1 - ‍10,000: Wolf Sigil

Rank 2 - ‍20,000: Wolf Glyphs

Rank 3 - ‍30,000: Wolf Cred x50

Rank 4 - ‍40,000: Weapon Slot x2

Rank 5 - ‍50,000: Wolf Noggle

Rank 6 - ‍60,000: Wolf Cred x50

Rank 7 - ‍70,000: Forma Bundle (3x Forma)

Rank 8 - ‍80,000: Warframe Slot

Rank 9 - ‍90,000: Wolf Emblem

Rank 10 - ‍100,000: Wolf Salute Emote

Rank 11 - ‍110,000: Orokin Catalyst (built)

Rank 12 - ‍120,000: Wolf Cred x50

..."

Look at this HUGE gab alone already there. first 2 ranks, you get nothing "usefull". rank 3, the first 50 which is something. 2 weapon slots ok useful but maybe not what i need. a noggle, sure nice but maybe i would like to get nitain insteed. then i get my second creds with rank 6 and THEN i have to wait till im rang 12.

I could go on but it seems like the gap between "creds" and "rewards" are just way to big if you really need them. As i said in my last post, i quote myself again:

" Sure, they can be different "rewards" you can get for the different event times but they should all use the same "currency" and exp for those new alert system and not "event" wise rangs and different currency - pretty much like with Endo to mod every mod you want no matter what rarety the mod is."

So keeping this short, i dont think someone is "complaining" about the rewards we are getting, more like people who understand the system see that there is the problem with the currency which people who ARE new to warframe might need the most first about everything else for nitain, for the weapons and stuff like. I quote myself again:

"SO what WOULD i change?

- First, let us get "some" currency with every rank up, no matter what or which rank. If you want to add "that" reliability, not everyone of us has the time to rank up 3 ranks a week or like. Another idea WOULD be that we get some currency for each kind of mission we do, depending how "hard" it is we get more or less of it.

- Let us KEEP the currency and rank even after said "events" and dont change it, at least IF it helps us getting nearly impossible stuff like a umbra forma - so that it doesnt feel like our efforts are "worth" something and doesnt end up in limbo, literally."

If they, DE, would change that and WOULD keep -ALL- players, new and old players, people who HAS time and who might has "not so much" time, IN mind, it would sure work out but right now i can understand the backlash the system, as it is right now, is getting.

It really boggles the mind why DE would implement such a bad alert system without getting any real feedback from the gaming community first.

DE could easily have improved the already successful system by adding more alert missions with better rewards and keep them active for a longer time.

A big portion of what kept the players coming back in the last 6 years is that successful alert system that had a reasonable time investment.

The new bad alert system offers close to the same rewards with a much higher time investment plus it's gated behind grind walls.

Who thought that this was going to be a great idea?

Archived