Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nightwave seems to only cater to players who play the game religiously

3 minutes ago, Ascarith said:

To be perfectly blunt, I was literally just answering your question, and not in a particularly serious manner. I'm not sure why you opted to respond to me like I need convincing that the quests are manageable within a week. 

I was further explaining my point, sorry if I came off abrasive.

1 minute ago, tyranno66 said:

I was further explaining my point, sorry if I came off abrasive.

Nah, you're fine, it just felt weird that you asked for an example of something that took more than an hour, then started talking about how we had a week to do it (which kind of makes the ~hour limitation irrelevant). 

• Like 1

It will depend on how much rep you can get from daily versus weekly. If you are a "weekend warrior" where you only have some time on the weekends to play, if doing 2 days of daily and all the weeklies can get you all the rep rewards, then I think the system is fine. The only players majorly affected by this system is those that keep watch of alerts and only jump in to grab the good rewards, but overall, this system helps get most players the loot they need.

I have logged maybe 1500 hours and still dont have all research for simaris done (havent really bothered and didnt find the terminal until 500 hours in or so lol) so you can use those if you still have target left to scan besides his daily.

I have no problem with grinding but this nightwave system I wouldnt even put in the same sentence as grinding (except this one) :-).

Edited by (XB1)Dic3man

1 hour ago, tyranno66 said:

Guys, I get his point. I mean I had to waste 10 hours today trying to get the hardest daily challenge- pick up 8 mods. These sorts of things are just way too much time investment for some people!

Obvious sarcasm aside, care to provide examples of challenges that you personally can't complete within an hour of play?

The only one I can think of is the "Fill 5 Ayatan Statues", that one took me 'till yesterday to fuffill because I always fill the statues when I get them... unless I forget, which I'm thankfull I did forget to fill 3, the other 2 took a few Arbitrations. (RNG gave me Mods and Endo for a while, it KNEW!)

well, I managed rank 2 in a single day, at my current speed, taking into account other things I have to do, I'll likely hit tier 30 in about 25 days, maybe a little less. Nightwaves are supposed to last about 10 weeks, that's 70 days, so that's really not bad going, and I could get in more if it weren't form my love of Metro: Exodus, the Anthem grind and my other hobbies outside of gaming. for the record I'm avoiding Elite Weeklies when they require friends and am making sure to catch any fugitives that pop up in missions.

yes, jobs and family commitments will get in the way, but I would argue that if you have no hope of reaching tier 30 on Nightwave, then i don't think there can be a system that would work for you: if you are that time-constrained, the only way you would be able to get anything is from very short-term, weekend events or just being given it for free, and while some people may be in this boat, the majority need something more long term to do between updates. Nightwave solves this problem for the majority of us, and as always, the part-timers will have to make do getting whatever bounties they can.

it really isn't that grindy, and there's every chance that Nightwaves will continue to be improved upon in the future, likely made even less grindy as a result.

2 hours ago, (XB1)TVirusPlague said:

I know this game is really grindy but for someone like me who has a Job and college Its almost impossible to finish these challenges. It only caters to players who no life the game. I much prefer  the old alerts because the rewards were quick and simple just by doing one mission but now we have to grind a lot more now and do multiple objectives some that take multiple days to complete. This is a major turn off to players who don't have all the time in the world to play. 

You think it's bad for the experienced player (note I'm not a fan of the grind and chore feeling it gives either), I just tried an alt account which is like mr2 at best and a fair bit can't even be done (at least in week 1) so a newbie could actually struggle to hit that 60% needed for 10 weeks.  Of course a newbie doesn't need a 'one time only' syandana or armor after spending 10 weeks trying to get the standing obviously (sarcasm)...I can already see the newbies going 'screw that, not doing that again' at the end of 10 weeks when 'nightwave 2.0' comes out if they can't hit that magical 60% for everything.

1 hour ago, BenaBean said:

I like the new system better anyways because its more a test of skill. On the old system, anyone could just go to a defense or something, get carried, and then get a good mod or blueprint. Now, you do challenges (some of which take time) to show you understand the game mechanics.

Lets be honest here... this system is no more of a test of skill than the old system, it only seems that way as it now has that one mission against the hydolist.  Nothing in the list so far has been a challenge for average let alone experienced players apart from finding the time and interest in actually doing the challenges. 

Players can and are still being carried on these missions, if anything I've seen more players 'needing' to be carried on these missions than if I was just doing them normally.  I've seen loads of comments about newbies in hydrolist missions with just a mote amp for example....

I know this game is really grindy but for someone like me who has a Job and college Its almost impossible to finish these challenges.

Right, here is what you do. 90% of them are weekly while the rest are daily. You finish the dailies in an hour, two tops. for the rest of the week, you do your job and college. And in the weekend, you finish the rest of the weekly ones. 
If you really want to commit, arrange your schedule to be more convenient.

7 minutes ago, HoboKnoght said:

Right, here is what you do. 90% of them are weekly while the rest are daily. You finish the dailies in an hour, two tops. for the rest of the week, you do your job and college. And in the weekend, you finish the rest of the weekly ones. 
If you really want to commit, arrange your schedule to be more convenient.

What if you work at the weekend AND some evenings during the week with the other evenings taken up with 'homework'... I know that was my sort of schedule when I was at college so I wouldn't be surprised if the OP is in a similar situation. 

Also you shouldn't NEED to rearrange your REAL WORLD schedule to fit around a game... if it's getting to the point where we need to arrange our lives around a game to ensure we hit a certain requirement then realistically there's something wrong with the game... a game should be about fun, not how much of your real world life you can give up to hit it's requirements.

Edited by LSG501
  • Like 3

I know this game is really grindy but for someone like me who has a Job and college Its almost impossible to finish these challenges. It only caters to players who no life the game. I much prefer  the old alerts because the rewards were quick and simple just by doing one mission but now we have to grind a lot more now and do multiple objectives some that take multiple days to complete. This is a major turn off to players who don't have all the time in the world to play.

got a 50 hour work week..  and finished nightwave in 2 days .. under 24 hours of game play.. dotn play it religiously since well like i said earlier got a job to as well..
compared to the old system this is a improved moment for "someone like you" and me.. since now we have a fair gain on the nitain and stuff as well instead of missing out om 90% of the alerts and the drops..  so insteand of 4 nitain a week i already have 10 now.. just a small example..
if they keep the difficlulty of the challenges at this lvl this shouldnt be a problematic system unless you have like 4 hours a week to play then it could become a challenge..

On the point of Simaris targets, if you have friends you can bang out 5 scans in 1 day.  Two if you only have one friend, and you get unlucky.  Tested this myself.  You get credit towards the Nightwave challenge if you participate (or are at least around) for any Simaris scan, yours or not.  So if you have one friend, and at least one of you gets a 3 or 4 scan target, you can get 5 in a day easily.  If you have two friends, you are guaranteed to be able to get 5 scans in a day even if you all get 2 scan targets.

But yeah, as someone with a job I really have to side with "this seems to be better" than the old alert system.  I can get what I want at my leisure.  If anyone is impacted based on the amount of time they can play, it's the people who are able to play all day long.

15 minutes ago, LSG501 said:

You think it's bad for the experienced player (note I'm not a fan of the grind and chore feeling it gives either), I just tried an alt account which is like mr2 at best and a fair bit can't even be done (at least in week 1) so a newbie could actually struggle to hit that 60% needed for 10 weeks.  Of course a newbie doesn't need a 'one time only' syandana or armor after spending 10 weeks trying to get the standing obviously (sarcasm)...I can already see the newbies going 'screw that, not doing that again' at the end of 10 weeks when 'nightwave 2.0' comes out if they can't hit that magical 60% for everything.

Lets be honest here... this system is no more of a test of skill than the old system, it only seems that way as it now has that one mission against the hydolist.  Nothing in the list so far has been a challenge for average let alone experienced players apart from finding the time and interest in actually doing the challenges. 

Players can and are still being carried on these missions, if anything I've seen more players 'needing' to be carried on these missions than if I was just doing them normally.  I've seen loads of comments about newbies in hydrolist missions with just a mote amp for example....

Just because some people are being carried on one of the challenges does not signify that everyone is doing such. At least now you actually have to go out and get stuff done compared to just afking in an exterminate mission (I've seen this happen many times, trust me).

Interesting.  I have a full time job and I only play maybe twice or three times a week.  I have no trouble at all doing the Nightwave challenges.  So, I honestly don't see how it doesn't benefit "players who don't have all the time in the world to play".  

15 minutes ago, BenaBean said:

Just because some people are being carried on one of the challenges does not signify that everyone is doing such. At least now you actually have to go out and get stuff done compared to just afking in an exterminate mission (I've seen this happen many times, trust me). 

These challenges are the exact same mission as any other and people can afk or will be carried just as easily on these as they could on the old ones... funnily enough I don't see anywhere near as much afk as many people make out, now I do see it but it's fairly rare in my experience.

2 minutes ago, LSG501 said:

These challenges are the exact same mission as any other and people can afk or will be carried just as easily on these as they could on the old ones... funnily enough I don't see anywhere near as much afk as many people make out, now I do see it but it's fairly rare in my experience.

Then again, it is your experience. Just because you have not experienced many afk people does not mean that it is less common. It has happened to me, for example, many times. The old missions, like for mods and whatnot, just required mission completion to get the reward. Hence being afk and such. While you still can get carried, nowadays you actually have to kill a certain number of enemies. You have to scan a number of enemies. You have to kill eximus units YOURSELF. It is not just the same as the old system, but I do not want to argue, I just wanted to show my point of view since so many in the community are just bashing this.

25 minutes ago, BenaBean said:

Then again, it is your experience. Just because you have not experienced many afk people does not mean that it is less common.

And that exact comment can be easily reversed for your own experiences.  Just because you have experienced (or feel you have) doesn't mean it's anywhere near as common as you make out. 

29 minutes ago, LSG501 said:

And that exact comment can be easily reversed for your own experiences.  Just because you have experienced (or feel you have) doesn't mean it's anywhere near as common as you make out. 

Ok I put that upon myself with that, but I would like to end this now. This was just supposed to be about the grind itself

4 hours ago, Ascarith said:

The one that immediately jumps to mind is the "Scan 5 Simaris targets" one since I think the max scans for a single target is 4. Granted, technically you could do it in an hour, but you'd have to straddle reset and get your first set of scans done in a relatively short amount of time. 😉 

The little circles aren't the targets, the whole enemy is the target. So you need to fully scan 5 different Synthesis Targets, though that only takes "long" because unless you have friends or get lucky with pugs, you're limited in the number of targets you can scan per day. But each one should only take 10 minutes tops (if you go through the mission really slow).

The challenges that take the longest are 8 Cetus Bounties and 5 Ayatan Sculptures (assuming you're personally farming them and not buying them and have none stockpiled). There are others that can be difficult for some players, but none that should take anywhere near an hour.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, corallein said:

The little circles aren't the targets, the whole enemy is the target. So you need to fully scan 5 different Synthesis Targets, though that only takes "long" because unless you have friends or get lucky with pugs, you're limited in the number of targets you can scan per day. But each one should only take 10 minutes tops (if you go through the mission really slow).

The challenges that take the longest are 8 Cetus Bounties and 5 Ayatan Sculptures (assuming you're personally farming them and not buying them and have none stockpiled). There are others that can be difficult for some players, but none that should take anywhere near an hour.

What I meant is that the highest number of requested "captures" of any one specific target seems to cap out at 4 (although the number requested varies). But yes, I imagine you can bypass this with other players (although I haven't actually checked if that is the case). 

2 hours ago, LSG501 said:

Also you shouldn't NEED to rearrange your REAL WORLD schedule to fit around a game... 

Some games are better to be played in a long stretch, while some work out with a short session. If you've been playing quick PvP matches for the past month and your schedule capitalizes on that by giving you just enough time for a ~10 minute game everyday, when a new game comes along that you want to play in larger sessions, you need to rearrange your schedule. You can't fit an hour of gameplay into a ten minute opening in your schedule. So you NEED to rearrange your REAL WORLD schedule to fit around a game.

What I said above applies to Warframe too. Maybe your old schedule allowed you to fit in the sporadic, unplanned alerts in some way. This new system is different from alerts, so there's a good change your schedule may NEED to change if you want to make the most out of the system.

Gaming is an activity that varies wildly. Games are all different. Some work better with some schedules over others. Sometimes you'll need to change your schedule if you want to play a game in a certain way, simply because your schedule doesn't fit what you want to do. You only NEED to change your schedule when it doesn't line up with what you want to do.

I'm not saying that this new system is perfect or anything. I'm saying it's a good idea to consider the best method to complete your dailies and weeklies IF you CHOOSE to take part in this system which is entirely optional with almost no necessary rewards(Nitain is important, but a lot of it is pretty optional otherwise). You can't expect games to always fit into your schedule, sometimes you need to change things up.

4 hours ago, (PS4)hirprirode said:

simaris target scan abort mission and repeat 4 more times 10 min done 

i dont see this as a good thing...

my biggest beef with weeklys is that they take over my planned playtime. doing those bounties and invasion missions took me a while. Sure, it wasnt to painful now, but i can see this becoming 10x the chore by the time season 2 rolls around. ultimately, it can become a part of WF i miss out on a year from now. WF never had a time gated to-do list before. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, CoolDudeMcCool said:

Some games are better to be played in a long stretch, while some work out with a short session. If you've been playing quick PvP matches for the past month and your schedule capitalizes on that by giving you just enough time for a ~10 minute game everyday, when a new game comes along that you want to play in larger sessions, you need to rearrange your schedule. You can't fit an hour of gameplay into a ten minute opening in your schedule. So you NEED to rearrange your REAL WORLD schedule to fit around a game. 

But this is my point... when you need to start changing things in the real world to cater for game specific requirements there is something wrong with the requirement.  If you can't do the thing in 10 minute 'bite size' pieces then that in itself should be seen as a problem, and that's ignoring the fact that these requirements are then taking over your entire gaming time. 

17 minutes ago, CoolDudeMcCool said:

I'm not saying that this new system is perfect or anything. I'm saying it's a good idea to consider the best method to complete your dailies and weeklies IF you CHOOSE to take part in this system which is entirely optional with almost no necessary rewards(Nitain is important, but a lot of it is pretty optional otherwise). You can't expect games to always fit into your schedule, sometimes you need to change things up.

In a game that is essentially a 'collect it all' type game the argument about this new game mode being optional is always going to be wrong to me.  Yes we can choose not to take part but then we can't collect the limited time items from the rewards (not the cred stuff) or the rewards we can't get anywhere else.  Due to placement of the 'rare' items at the end of the 30 day sequence we are in essence 'forced' to do these challenges if we want to collect everything, they're not in the cred options, they're not available for plat, they are only available if we get upto 30,000 standing.

Real world should ALWAYS be more important than a game, a game is not supposed to be the thing we 'live for' or fit our life around, its the thing we do to have fun in our spare time, or that's how it's supposed to be. 

4 minutes ago, Hypernaut1 said:

my biggest beef with weeklys is that they take over my planned playtime. doing those bounties and invasion missions took me a while. Sure, it wasnt to painful now, but i can see this becoming 10x the chore by the time season 2 rolls around. ultimately, it can become a part of WF i miss out on a year from now. WF never had a time gated to-do list before.  

I can see it becoming worse far before season 2 gets here...but luckily DE are watching the feedback and we'll get changes with the season 2 (I think it should be sooner than that personally).... we just have to remember they said the same about arbitrations and eso and I'm still waiting on the 'changes'...

Edited by LSG501
  • Like 1