Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Shae's Nyx Rework

Shaeltal

Like many other people, I have found the Nyx rework to be completely underwhelming. For reference, Nyx is my most played frame, currently 19.7% over 1500 hours (and counting!). I thought I would offer up my own version of a rework to try and fill the gaps and make her feel more relevant. This aims to be a somewhat feasible rework for DE which tries to minimize the amount of work necessary. Numbers are all subject to change of course, but I tried putting in values that seemed realistic.

1 - Mind Control: Keep this as is. The current implementation leaves a lot to be desired due to the new leashing AI, but actually works when used in conjunction with Psychic Bolts to strip armor. I can say that a Mind Controlled level 160 Corrupted Bombard will kill other Bombards in about 3-4 hits when armor is completely stripped and its damage is buffed.

2 - Psychic Bolts: Allow the number of bolts to scale with strength, change the base number to 4/5/6/7. Keep the scaling shield/armor debuff. Remove the 2 second channel required to recast Psychic Bolts. Recasting should remove the effects of previous bolts. 

3 - Chaos: Keep as is. I think we can all agree that this is a core skill for Nyx given that it is both highly effective and thematic, while also having significant cost and leaving her just vulnerable enough to not be invincible.

4 - New Ability: Psych Link. Greatly augments her other abilities for 6/7/8 seconds, scales with Ability Duration.

• Mind Control - Redirects 20/30/40% of damage to Mind Controlled ally, as well as status effects. Damage redirection scales with Power Strength. Caps at 90% damage redirection.
  • Psychic Bolts - Now floats enemies for 4/5/6 seconds, scales with Duration.
  • Chaos - 8/10/12% of any damage that Nyx deals to an enemy affected by Chaos is also done to all other enemies affected by Chaos. Scales with Power Strength.

Passive: Enemies affected by any of Nyx's powers have a chance to lay down their weapon (become disarmed) after the power expires. (Reverted to previous version of passive).

All of our old Nyx builds mainly revolved around Ability Range and Ability Duration while completely ignoring strength. This should add a bit more choice and versatility, while creating different builds.

Augments

Mind Freak - Keep as is.

Pacifying Bolts - Stun overrides Float, but otherwise, keep as is.

Chaos Sphere - Keep as is.

Assimilate - Psych Link no longer has a duration and instead is a channel, draining 7/8/9 energy per second. Affected by Ability Efficiency. Keeps the initial 100 energy cost.

Comments and critique welcome!

Edited by Shaeltal
  • Like 3

I like this, might be a better 4 than the one I previously suggested on the subreddit.

"Nightmare: Nyx creates a field of psychic energy lasting for X seconds. During this time, enemies cannot face the location from which the ability was cast out of fear, and flee for the duration of the ability unless under the effects of chaos. Under the effects of chaos, enemies turn against each other with a newfound ferocity and terror, dealing 20x damage to each other. Targets under the control of her 1 are unaffected. AUGMENT: instead of the location of casting, the ability follows Nyx, but has a shortened effect on enemies, applying an initial bout of terror before they come to their senses and begin firing."

3 hours ago, Shaeltal said:

Passive: Enemies affected by any of Nyx's powers have a chance to lay down their weapon (become disarmed) after the power expires. (Reverted to previous version of passive).

Im not the only one *cries onto Nyx Noggle*

Again : Random tiny miss chance for only Nyx is better than an area wide enemy disarm? Someone explain that moon logic to me someday (And no enemy dps against each other is crappo in general, not worth the exchange). As a compromise you could just give mind controlled enemies (to be clear, enemies affected by 1) their guns back, no need to gimp the entire set.

4.Psych Link: Sounds very interesting, id miss the invuln tho 😛 (Id just give Absorb an enhanched knockdown based on absorbed damage)

2.Psychic Bolts: Imo the armor strip is just some ill fitting gimmick they threw in there because all the cool kids use corrosive projection. Currently since absorb damage is (and always was and always will be since they obviously dont want to make it a nuke on par with any other dps frame) bad theres nothing else worth building into strength for. Youre sacrificing or at the very least compromising everything else to be a one trick pony armor debuffer. Toss that out again, revert to spammable bolts with guaranteed rad proc and give affected enemies a higher aggro rating

1.Mind Control: New leashing bad, id agree. Guess that was their solution to mced enemies not being controllable and all the complaints related to that (currently all you can do with ANY friendly is tell them to follow/stop following. Id imagine any solution to give friendlies more indepth instructions with markers or whatever to be super fiddly and impractical in battle anyway. So whatever, its not needed for mc targets, why, stop pls). Just revert it, let em roam freely again and add a higher aggro rating to em too. That way even if theyre being completely useless and just taking cover or something theyd at least draw fire more or would be a more reliable distraction in general.

3.Chaos: Yes

Edited by Howtoshootgun
much typos

I like it.  And I like how you dismantled Absorb, and created something that feels more "psychic".  (And that Chaos synergy--wow. 😛 I'd love to team her up with Banshee, for instance. )

But, not to be a downer,  I just don't see them ditching Absorb this far along; not with the work they've put into it, and all the investment its fans have in it.  Also I'd guess DE would want any 4 to stand on its own visually and viscerally as an ultimate, rather than just as a collection of synergies.

Just to put my two cents even though I am not an avid fan of Nyx (I use her a lot in defection but that's it).

I actually think psychic bolts should be like Ash's 1 with the augment, aka it does some damage and strips defense. Maybe with the rad proc included, but no slash procs. It was good for hitting people through walls before.

Liked the old passive too, was great with bolts spam. Although they could just build it into bolts and maybe chaos, leaving it out of Mind Control.

12 hours ago, Tiltskillet said:

I like it.  And I like how you dismantled Absorb, and created something that feels more "psychic".  (And that Chaos synergy--wow. 😛 I'd love to team her up with Banshee, for instance. )

But, not to be a downer,  I just don't see them ditching Absorb this far along; not with the work they've put into it, and all the investment its fans have in it.  Also I'd guess DE would want any 4 to stand on its own visually and viscerally as an ultimate, rather than just as a collection of synergies.

Thanks! Seeing how most frames have some kind of nuke skill, giving Nyx something that could also flex some dps muscles seemed appropriate to bring her up to par. 

You're the second person to say that a 4 skill should be flashy and appealing on its own, which I can completely understand, and hope it doesn't end up being true given how strong this kit is. Instant visual gratification is nice, but let's face it, quite a few 4 skills aren't very rewarding to use at as the game progresses. Atlas, Chroma, Inaros, Mag, Mirage, Nyx, Wukong, Zephyr. None of their ultimate abilities feel very impactful (although visually they may feel quite strong), and in some instances, are somewhat of an annoyance. I'd much prefer substance and efficacy over visual fluff, especially when the theme of psychic powers is more about changing the mind and behavior, all of which are internal processes. It can be hard to make such internal psych changes be visually pleasing, but whoever created the effect concept for Chaos does this perfectly.

How about if we had the 4 skill create a radial blast that stuns all enemies in range for 3 seconds on use, in addition to its other effects to create some positive feedback on use? Radial blasts can always be visually appealing and can even reuse the last half of the animation/effect work that the current Absorb has.

12 hours ago, Datam4ss said:

Just to put my two cents even though I am not an avid fan of Nyx (I use her a lot in defection but that's it).

I actually think psychic bolts should be like Ash's 1 with the augment, aka it does some damage and strips defense. Maybe with the rad proc included, but no slash procs. It was good for hitting people through walls before.

Liked the old passive too, was great with bolts spam. Although they could just build it into bolts and maybe chaos, leaving it out of Mind Control.

That's certainly an option, but with DE's mind on skill balance, I believe that you would have to trade off a significant portion of the armor strip/shield debuff if you make it spammable. That being said, as much as I loved bolt spamming, I actually like the new Psychic Bolts better with how much utility it has. Rad procs are extremely easy to come by these days and I'd rather not have it being built into the skill eat any allotted power space. Would love to have it go through walls and objects though.

Also, Nyx for defection? Curious on that one.

Edited by Shaeltal

4 hours ago, Shaeltal said:

Also, Nyx for defection? Curious on that one.

A bit off topic, but her 1 shuts down Eximus Units/Ancients and her 3 confuses everything, allowing the Defection Grineer to get through relatively safely. The rad proc from her old two also disconnected Eximi from their friends, neutering their aura. The 4 was handy for neutralising toxin clouds if you got procced by it.

There is a reason why I liked the rad proc a lot on the bolts. They were also a cheap way to AoE disarm so there's that.

Ah, I see. That does make sense. It's (un)fortunately very easy to create rad procs, and I find myself using Rolling Guard to take care of status effects, so I didn't really think about how much Nyx brought to the table for Defection. Then again, that might just be due to my avoiding the game mode.

11 hours ago, Shaeltal said:

You're the second person to say that a 4 skill should be flashy and appealing on its own, which I can completely understand, and hope it doesn't end up being true given how strong this kit is.

Well, it's not so much "should" AFAIC--I'm just guessing that with only four abilities per frame that they'd feel some need for the so-called ultimate to really hit people over the head with a hammer.  Maybe moreso when the other three abilities don't have much hammer to them.

But what do I know?  I'm wrong like 80% of the time, and--oh, hold up.  My cat is texting me...and... the actual number is closer to 90%.  Welp.

11 hours ago, Shaeltal said:

How about if we had the 4 skill create a radial blast that stuns all enemies in range for 3 seconds on use, in addition to its other effects to create some positive feedback on use? Radial blasts can always be visually appealing and can even reuse the last half of the animation/effect work that the current Absorb has.

Something like that might be nice, yeah.

22 hours ago, Tiltskillet said:

Well, it's not so much "should" AFAIC--I'm just guessing that with only four abilities per frame that they'd feel some need for the so-called ultimate to really hit people over the head with a hammer.  Maybe moreso when the other three abilities don't have much hammer to them.

I agree. It's just unfortunate that so many skills are very pleasing visually, but aren't actually very effective as you get stronger. Absorb could be good if they increased the base range, removed the flat energy loss, and fixed the bug where self-damage doesn't work unless you're the host. But that only fixes a single problem, and creates the issue of having only one way to properly utilize the 4 - with self damage weapons. 

Her old passive is deff better than her new one.  The downside to it being if you mind control a target and it disarms the target in the process.  I like the new mind control interaction but (aside from AI issues) I dislike how often I have to recast it in extended/endless runs.  I would love if boosting the damage on the target also boosted it's duration.  I agree with your bolts changes.  Being able to strip any defense (including aura based defense) is super strong.  And the trade off of losing the debuff when you recast it else where should be enough of a trade off in my book.  That way you could spam it out for disarm chance (cc if using augment) or keep on the targets you want dead.  Only adjustment i'd like made with the ability is perhaps getting Nekros's AI when picking shadows.  That way the bolts know how to pick high priority targets to hit.

Chaos.  I'd like to change it back to having multiple instances.  It's cool that I an effectively stunlock by spamming Chaos currently.  But it doesn't feel like Nyx imho.  Having a wider effected area is more my cup of tea.  Your 4 idea is neat.  But it and her passive are her 2 direct ways to survive.  So changing Absorb to be something that doesn't do that seems...off.  In my opinion they can keep absorb.  Just ditch the damage portion (including the newly added buff and allies effecting your bubble.)  And make it so incoming damage gets calculated into "psy" armor.

Think of Psy armor as a combination of negation swarm and adaptation.  The amount of damage she takes in determines how many "chunks" of psy armor she gets.  The damage she takes in also effects what resistances she's building up against.  Once a status proc would happen she loses a "chunk" of her Psy armor.  Visually speaking just imagine it as a different colored shield bar in the UI.

10 hours ago, (XB1)Knight Raime said:

Her old passive is deff better than her new one.  The downside to it being if you mind control a target and it disarms the target in the process.  I like the new mind control interaction but (aside from AI issues) I dislike how often I have to recast it in extended/endless runs.  I would love if boosting the damage on the target also boosted it's duration.  I agree with your bolts changes.  Being able to strip any defense (including aura based defense) is super strong.  And the trade off of losing the debuff when you recast it else where should be enough of a trade off in my book.  

Especially considering it costs 50 energy, making it less spammy than a 1 ability. It's great against sortie bosses now and great for endurance runs.

10 hours ago, (XB1)Knight Raime said:

Chaos.  I'd like to change it back to having multiple instances.  It's cool that I an effectively stunlock by spamming Chaos currently.  But it doesn't feel like Nyx imho.  Having a wider effected area is more my cup of tea.  Your 4 idea is neat.  But it and her passive are her 2 direct ways to survive.  So changing Absorb to be something that doesn't do that seems...off.  In my opinion they can keep absorb.  Just ditch the damage portion (including the newly added buff and allies effecting your bubble.)  And make it so incoming damage gets calculated into "psy" armor.

Considering that the new 4 would have survivability which is arguably much, much stronger too, with % damage redirection, similar to Nekros' Shield of Shadows, I don't feel that it would feel too off. In addition, given that the new rework would give her the ability to flex a bit as a DPS or pure CC should make her more fun to play with. Psy armor seems neat too, and could potentially just be overshields. Seeing how Hildryn will introduce shield gating, shields may actually serve as a fairly decent defense going forward.

Personally, I don't like "Pacifying bolts" right now.

Previously it was able to recast any time and small but at least it gives damages so I've used as for breaks small objects like cameras or such, but right now, I can't use it as anymore. (Hold to deactivates is... bit annoying too)

Also, I miss recast "Chaos" don't deactivate previously affected enemies.