Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Corrupted mods

I know I won't gather friends with this rambling, but I don't feel like using corrupted mods.
It doesn't sit well with me that those mods cut down certain stats. I prefer it when mods give increase, not decrease.

Tho I understand that I'm pretty much alone with my opinion - and I get looked at funny for  my way of thinking

You dont have to use them,but some warframe abilities benefit from negative stats, like trinity energy vampire with low duration pulses energy faster, and pulses slower with more duration. Also lets say you are using rhino just for his iron skin you would not need duration as it has infinite duration till enemies manage to chip down the armor, so if you only use iron skin you can get fleeting expertiese and can cast it at a very low energy cost but the roar and stomp will be very short. Another example is loki and his invisibility as most use him only for that ability when he gets narrow minded on he gets more duration but less range which is ideal if you want to be invisible for longer but if you want to use his other abilities you may need more range

No one is going to force you to but you will end up with some sub-optimal builds. Some frames really benefit from max strength (Blind Rage and/or Transient Fortitude), max efficiency (Fleeting Expertise), max range (Overextended), or max duration (Narrowminded). And the negatives aren’t always negative. Off the top of my head, the frames that really benefit from max builds are Rhino, Chroma, Equinox, Nova, Loki, and box-opener Limbo. 

Edited by KosmicKerman
  • Like 1

Corrupted Mods are definitely a relic of older Warframe, both when having negative stats on certain frames/guns was actually useful (the original Nuke Saryn springs to mind) and the developers actually cared about power creep. That said I think they still represent a good game design choice: I COULD just stick with Intensify's 30% boost, or I could risk having less efficiency for an entire 99% boost with Blind Rage!

vor 9 Stunden schrieb TARINunit9:

Corrupted Mods are definitely a relic of older Warframe, both when having negative stats on certain frames/guns was actually useful (the original Nuke Saryn springs to mind) and the developers actually cared about power creep. That said I think they still represent a good game design choice: I COULD just stick with Intensify's 30% boost, or I could risk having less efficiency for an entire 99% boost with Blind Rage!

Honestly, I think that efficiancy is ALWAYS a good Thing.

It's only Logical to me that it's beneficial to cast abilities at a lower cost.

I remember my struggle with Rhino as I was reliant on energy pickups to cast his 4th because I had no Flow and Streamline equipped.

vor 9 Stunden schrieb KosmicKerman:

No one is going to force you to but you will end up with some sub-optimal builds. Some frames really benefit from max strength (Blind Rage and/or Transient Fortitude), max efficiency (Fleeting Expertise), max range (Overextended), or max duration (Narrowminded). And the negatives aren’t always negative. Off the top of my head, the frames that really benefit from max builds are Rhino, Chroma, Equinox, Nova, Loki, and box-opener Limbo. 

I'm not gonna use my build to stomp others in conclave, I just wanna Play regular PvE stuff.

I'm also not really interested in Elite Sanctuary or Sorties, only doing them when I have to, like for Nightwave.

You're missing out on a lot of powerful builds mate. 

As already mentioned, there are several frames that make use of negative values, Speed Nova being one of the most popular ones. And there are also a lot of frames that simply don't make any good use of some ability aspects like strength on Nyx or Loki, so then obviously you'd rather sacrifice that for more of the good stuff. It is also possible to make balanced builds either with more corrupted mods or more powerful ones like Primed Continuity or the Umbral set. 

It can be quite challenging to find a good combo, but it really is the next level of modding if you want to keep improving your builds for "endgame", especially along with augment mods. Using the same old basic ability-mods gets kinda boring and limited, imo. 

In Rhino's case, I used him in early days but which eventually became less interesting as I built more interesting frames. Only recently have I started to use him frequently again as I tried an Ironclad-build, which is what people use to be able to boost up ironskin armor to hundreds of thousands in value. I found Brozimes version to be very nicely balanced and a good base, which keeps all abilities releveant and very much useable in high level content. Here we have two corrupted mods, along with two important augment mods that work together for your ironskin. Efficiency is low, but you have a big pool of energy available, and you don't really spam abilities anyway except for when you want to pool up more armor with Charge.

vor 47 Minuten schrieb SirTobe:

You're missing out on a lot of powerful builds mate. 

As already mentioned, there are several frames that make use of negative values, Speed Nova being one of the most popular ones. And there are also a lot of frames that simply don't make any good use of some ability aspects like strength on Nyx or Loki, so then obviously you'd rather sacrifice that for more of the good stuff. It is also possible to make balanced builds either with more corrupted mods or more powerful ones like Primed Continuity or the Umbral set. 

It can be quite challenging to find a good combo, but it really is the next level of modding if you want to keep improving your builds for "endgame", especially along with augment mods. Using the same old basic ability-mods gets kinda boring and limited, imo. 

In Rhino's case, I used him in early days but which eventually became less interesting as I built more interesting frames. Only recently have I started to use him frequently again as I tried an Ironclad-build, which is what people use to be able to boost up ironskin armor to hundreds of thousands in value. I found Brozimes version to be very nicely balanced and a good base, which keeps all abilities releveant and very much useable in high level content. Here we have two corrupted mods, along with two important augment mods that work together for your ironskin. Efficiency is low, but you have a big pool of energy available, and you don't really spam abilities anyway except for when you want to pool up more armor with Charge.

As I've said earlier, low Efficiency is something I want to avoid. I put on Flow and Streamline on my Rhino to not be in danger of running out of energy to cast my abilities even with extensive use of Iron Skin and Stomp. So getting a low Efficiency build is detrimental for my Goals.

I don't own any Augments yet and I have only one primed mod and one drift mod, but I'll gather more.

I'd rather use those as they all increase stats than cutting down on any of those stats on purpose. This also means I don't Need to think about how to compensate for the negative stats of those mods.

And to me, SPeed Nova makes no sense because it's more useful to me to slow down enemies, not making them faster to reach me an tear me apart.

Edited by (PS4)KyomaSatomi
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, (PS4)KyomaSatomi said:

And to me, SPeed Nova makes no sense because it's more useful to me to slow down enemies, not making them faster to reach me an tear me apart.

Speed Nova is ideal for low/mid-level missions like Defense where you just want to empty the map as quickly as possible, or Survival where you want a high killrate. Great for invasions, syndicate missions, and to rank gear quickly on Hydron, where enemies aren't very tough. She's a bit too squishy for high level content, but can still be used effectively along with other frames.

8 hours ago, (PS4)KyomaSatomi said:

I'm not gonna use my build to stomp others in conclave, I just wanna Play regular PvE stuff.

I'm also not really interested in Elite Sanctuary or Sorties, only doing them when I have to, like for Nightwave.

My comments were about optimal builds for PVE. If you are trying to argue the negatives of corrupted mods aren’t worth it, you are wrong. They are completely worth it for certain frames. There are other frames who don’t need them and benefit from general builds. The frames I mentioned benefit greatly from corrupted mods. Nova and Loki shine with max duration. Rhino wants high power strength and the efficiency hit doesn’t matter because you rarely cast his abilities. Stomp Rhino builds want high range and high efficiency.  You want max efficiency on any frame with channeled abilities.   

19 hours ago, (PS4)KyomaSatomi said:

I know I won't gather friends with this rambling, but I don't feel like using corrupted mods.
It doesn't sit well with me that those mods cut down certain stats. I prefer it when mods give increase, not decrease.

Tho I understand that I'm pretty much alone with my opinion - and I get looked at funny for  my way of thinking

Thank you! Someone else finally agrees!

It's the idea of versatility that stops me from using corrupted mods. Sure, one ability might massively benefit, but what about the others? You can easily end up completely nullifying the effectiveness of the rest of your kit by focusing on one power. Yeah, that one power will be insanely powerful, up until you come up against something that your chosen power is basically useless against. What then?

A frame without their full kit to me is like a frame without its full complement of limbs. It's usable, but severely lacking. not to mention how boring it is spamming just the one power...

• Like 1

vor 2 Stunden schrieb KosmicKerman:

My comments were about optimal builds for PVE. If you are trying to argue the negatives of corrupted mods aren’t worth it, you are wrong. They are completely worth it for certain frames. There are other frames who don’t need them and benefit from general builds. The frames I mentioned benefit greatly from corrupted mods. Nova and Loki shine with max duration. Rhino wants high power strength and the efficiency hit doesn’t matter because you rarely cast his abilities. Stomp Rhino builds want high range and high efficiency.  You want max efficiency on any frame with channeled abilities.   

On the contrary, I do cast abilites with Rhino, any of them except for his 1st.

ANd I'd argue that efficiency is always a good call - unless you want to do a mission without using your abilities.

So you see that corrupted debuffs won't really work on Rhino as I play him.

7 minutes ago, (PS4)KyomaSatomi said:

ANd I'd argue that efficiency is always a good call - unless you want to do a mission without using your abilities.

That's perfectly fine, and play the way you want. It's just that arguing that there's no benefit to having negatives is wrong, Loki being a prime example. He has absolutely no benefit from power strength, but can use range, so Overextened is a go-to for him. Another example is Nidus, he can function with a negative efficiency because his one grants him energy back.

21 hours ago, (PS4)KyomaSatomi said:

depends on the frame.  for say Valk narrow-minded has no real cost but for a frame like Oberon it is understandable why you would not use them.  you can get more positive stats in a build if you dont use them but you can't get as high of stats in a build when you do that

54 minutes ago, (PS4)KyomaSatomi said:

You should play however you want.  If you don’t like lower efficiency that’s fine. But any argument that a Rhino build without corrupted mods is objectively better is just wrong. If you are an energy starved new player, fleeting expertise is great. If you have no energy problems, blind rage and Transient Fortitude greatly improve the build. 

3 minutes ago, KosmicKerman said:

You should play however you want.  If you don’t like lower efficiency that’s fine. But any argument that a Rhino build without corrupted mods is objectively better is just wrong. If you are an energy starved new player, fleeting expertise is great. If you have no energy problems, blind rage and Transient Fortitude greatly improve the build. 

this is entirely dependent on how you use your frame.  My valk using warcry has neutral efficiency for use in ESO most Warcry builds have - efficiency as you rarely cast more than one ability per-mission.  however, the metta with other frames is to have as much efficiency as possible see frames like Nova and mesa.  it all depends on what you are building for and how you use the frame.  the optimization is key in this game and how you want to optimize a system is what you are doing.  if you want every part of some frames kit to be good the optimization will likely be rather poor compared to a build designed around one ability 

vor 4 Minuten schrieb KosmicKerman:

I'm not arguing about what's objectively better. The whole thing is just my personal view of things. (set aside the fact that new player wouldn't have access to the derelict or those mods at all).

I've actually been energy starved with my frames until I incorporated Streamline and Flow as a staple of my builds. Makes it easier to spam abilities like Roar, stomp or Excal's blind/howl.

vor 5 Minuten schrieb spirit_of_76:

this is entirely dependent on how you use your frame.  My valk using warcry has neutral efficiency for use in ESO most Warcry builds have - efficiency as you rarely cast more than one ability per-mission.  however, the metta with other frames is to have as much efficiency as possible see frames like Nova and mesa.  it all depends on what you are building for and how you use the frame.  the optimization is key in this game and how you want to optimize a system is what you are doing.  if you want every part of some frames kit to be good the optimization will likely be rather poor compared to a build designed around one ability 

Tho making it around just one ability feels rather limiting to me.

Granted not all of a frame's abilities are equally useful, but I still think that it's better to have more than just one at you disposal.

which is why my build has neutral efficiency and a form of energy regen.  and why my Oberon build has no negative stats.  however, I do still specialize in my 3 as Oberon and my 2 as Valk.  if I wanted my 2 and 4 to be better on my Oberon then I would add more range than duration, and similar goes for Valk.  however, Valk's 2 is orders of magnitude more useful than her 1 and 3 with her 4 being useful but less versatile than her 2

17 minutes ago, spirit_of_76 said:

Look at my other posts in this thread. The one you are replying to is part of an ongoing conversation and is responding to a particular point made by OP.