Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Melee Revisit: Phase 1 Feedback Megathread

[DE]Danielle

Pick up a baggage item (Datamass, Power cell, ect.) Without a secondary weapon, it automatically equips the Melee weapon. That's good.
But, Aim Glide will drop baggage to equip primary weapon. This can be a hindrance if have to cross a large valley.
If have baggage, need to take steps, such as not allowing Aimkey to switch weapons.

10 hours ago, (PS4)DaCajun said:

Before the rework I could be mining, fishing, or scanning something when enemies come around and all I had to do it was quick melee then go back to mining, etc. Now every time I just want to melee an enemy disturbing me while I'm mining, fishing, or whatever I have to keep pulling out the item wheel to re-equip my mining tool or fishing spear.

That is a bug that was introduced and likely not fixed before it was transferred to your build. They fixed most of it recently on PC, for spears as well as for the scanner though the miner still unequips (just went to confirm that it's still the case). Hopefully the miner will be fixed too soon, either way you should be getting the other fixes at least next time they push PSN builds through certification.

Edited by Ulvra

[Guardian Derision] and [electromagnetic shielding] no longer function as intended. 

[Guardian Derision] does still technically functions: when a enemie shoots at you and your doing nothing, you will block that attack, which will cause other enemies to attack you. But if enemies don’t attack you while another enemy is already attacking you, then you are no longer considered blocking. The window of opportunity is currently too small. Perhaps making all enemies attack you for a duration of time after blocking will fix this? 

[electromagnetic shielding] no longer works. If enemies are shooting allies, they are not shooting you, which means your not blocking. For it to work, you need enemies to attack you, so your blocking, but also attacking allies at the same time. Which is not how it was intended to work. 

This issue is hurting my gaming experience as I really enjoyed playing a “tank” and having all nearby enemies attacking me with [guardian derision] and any other damage my allies took from AOE would still come to me using [electromagnetic shielding]. This allowed my Allies freedom to heal me, It was a very fun way to play with my friends.

Thank you for your time reading this :) hope you have a good day. 

The new system feels awesome, simple, fast, etc etc, I honestly can only think of 2 complaints:

- I hate automatic guard, I seriously do. Don't get me started on the fact Guardian Derison is impossible to use now but it makes for brainless gameplay which you don't usually promote... I don't see why the guard button was eliminated;
- I can't Aim Glide using melee, I have to switch to my gun and do it like that, that kinda kills the flow.

Other than that, not a lot I can think of... looking forward to complaining about the combo counter only working with heavy attacks I guess.

(but seriously, other than all that ^ great job)

I have tested melee change for weeks, and I am very disappointed.

In short, it actually mess up the flow of the combat, rather than make the game more dynamic.

If you press melee button, it forces to draw the melee weapon, and not grab the ranged weapon automatically, and that's the root of the problem. It have these problems:

1. Cannot keybind M1 as melee weapon button.
    1. Problem on 'Allow to attack with M1 after draw the melee weapon' option.
  2. Melee weapons are never back to the sheath so I have to return it manually.
    1. And the change of weapon that grab the OTHER weapon when press change weapon button makes thing got worsen
    2. Bad interaction with scanner and other non-weapon devices.
    3. No quick melee at all.

And that's the reason.

1: As you know, the mechanism forbids to do one of the old ways - draw the melee weapon and click to make the melee attack, free your hand with keyboard and only take the maneuver part and leave the attack part to the mouse. Click M1 just draws ranged weapon you have used, rather than melee weapon. So, I have to keybind the other button by melee weapon. For me, I did it with M3, but it was really terrible to do by clicking such a small button constantly when I have to kill a bunch of troopers only with the melee weapons due to the Nightwave act. Not to mention that I have to forfeit to use the secondary fire option, although I hate to use it.

1.1: Yeah, DE did advertise that we can do the old ways. And it have the problem as well. In fact, if you turn on the option, press the melee button on keyboard makes your warframe to draw the melee weapon, able to make the melee attack with M1... but you can't turn back easily. The only correct way to return is press M2 and aim, nothing more. more on 2.1.

2: Melee weapon is a sidearm, a quick cleaner against both canisters and adjacent enemy, especially when you are out of ammo and need to reloaded. But, the change forces to keep the melee weapon and there is no way to sheath it automatically, means you need to be careful to make the melee attack. Now it is more difficult to make the melee attack while using ranged weapons, for even if you only make the melee attack once it removes the name, remaining ammo and scope for the ranged attack immediately. And you need to make a small work in order to return to the ranged weapon. Even if you simply want to crack the canister once, just make the slam attack to knockdown the enemy and keep shooting or do something, or simply finish off the damaged enemy, you are forced to draw the melee weapon and keep it, rather than only attack once and keep shooting without cut the flow.

2.1: It gets worse after the hotfix that press the change weapon button while sword alone grabs the DIFFRENT ranged weapon than you are initially used before fall into the sword alone mode. It means, you MUST press fire or aim(if you set M1 to melee then only aim) or you can't return the proper ranged weapon you have. There is no other way to return the proper ranged weapon you have used, and you can't do it with keyboard(else you need to keybind aim on keyboard).

2.2: Before the update, we can use the scanner and others and able to make quick melee, but we can't do it for now because you are forced to draw the melee weapon and keep it. It is very annoy when you are running Cephalon Simaris' synthesis scan, for you can't arm anything while use the scanner. Please return my melee weapon....

2.3: Also, it forces to execute the combo, so some weapons forces me to move even if what I need is only a simple melee attack.

I think that the update has some bright side, but the overall change makes me annoying. If some changes are required, these would be....

• ADD the option to enter/exit sword alone mode by keep pressing change the weapon key. Why we are have to make the melee attack once in order to actually draw the melee weapon? That's weird.
  • Also ADD the option that keep using old quick melee attack - press the melee button while not in sword alone mode does not changes the indicator of the weapon's name and ammo, nor it changes the scope, and after stop keep spamming the melee attack button warframes automatically grab the weapon what they was wield. The important point is, it MUST NOT enter the sword alone mode just because press the melee button only once.
    • It gets better if it doesn't continue the combo.

With these, and keep the change on return to normal mode by aim, then it would be better. But for now it makes me headache to use the current mechanism. Perhaps I have to remove the melee button on the control setting if there is no change, once were I was thought.

Simply put, why we are forced to fully grab the melee weapon even if what we need is only a swing before shoot down the enemy? I don't get it.

Any time I am airborne with my melee weapon out, and my character automatically blocks an attack, I am forced into aim-glide regardless of my aiming or not. It is very disruptive if I want to get on the ground to cast an ability, or land to take cover.

I want to start with some genuine praise, by saying that all of you at DE put a lot of hard work into this, as you all always do with anything involving the game; and I have no doubts about your passion for the game world and fondness for the player community. You are superbly dedicated, always willing to lend a listening ear, and choose to put in a time-crunch most others are forced into by their bosses. I understand and appreciate all that you do, and I don't want to hassle or put down any of you. You're a wonderful development team, and some of the friendliest, dorkiest, ... well... actually, the only Canadians I know. You're good people and huge nerds, and I mean that as a compliment. It's part of what makes Warframe unique.

To this end, I'm trying to articulate politely why I don't enjoy the new melee; though I do like the visual changes and the aiming of ground slams.

I like:

The aimed ground slam, the new elemental effects, and that the aforementioned elemental effects now match energy color of my frames/weapons. Those were good changes. Those have been things that not only bothered my TennoFashion(TM) brain, but also caused visual exhaustion, so it's nice they're now consistent.

I don't enjoy:

• The non-controllable blocking. You guys had good intentions to try and raise player durability, but that could have been done by increasing the blocking percentage of weapons across the board. Instead, it effectively sends the player the message "you need to be watched and can't defend yourself".
  • The lack of an outright melee-wielding mode like before. If I can't choose to continuously use nothing but a Galatine because I feel like going on an Knight Artorias-style rampage with my Valkyr Prime, there's neither much of a purpose nor much fun to melee. Please just let me hold my own weapons again, for God's sake. Let me choose to be a swordsman instead of reducing what used to be the core of my gameplay style to decorative ornamentation.
  • The removal of holstering between all three weapon slots. It was genuinely satisfying to see my Warframe draw a blade and hear the metallic "shink" sound.
  • The wrecked use of stances, because RMB is glitched to Timbuktu; and the toggle jammed in during a hotfix is not the same as actually allowing us to control blocking again. The block is still automatic, the toggle doesn't always work, and it can get jammed blocking nothing at all. It also blocks very weak attacks, and more on that below.
  • That over-saturated flashing effect that occurs with the new "quick switch", as Warframe has more than enough causes of eye fatigue for normal players; and seems to increase in the number of potential seizure triggers for photosensitive players with each new change rushed in. Another super-fast energy flicker with a half-second duration is only sure to exacerbate this. We're practically clogged with VFX.
  • The fact that channeling does not work, even with my alternate fire keybind and the new settings for channeling enabled via Options; and so pressing the alt-fire key does nothing. Bye-bye Life Strike and Killing Blow.
  • How ground slams don't cause knockdown anymore, only ragdoll, which makes finishers impossible (unless you're using a stun ability) and is another sign the new system caters to mainly-ranged players rather than mainly-melee players; since presumably this change was added to make shooting enemies mid-air easier. Didn't do much good for stabbing foes on the ground, though.
  • The fact several already-glitched melee holsters (Silva & Aegis Prime, i.e.) are now even MORE misaligned than before. I don't know what caused it, but it juts out at about 45 degrees from the shield's "alcove" for it, still half-retracted.
  • The fact that, for some reason, Exalted Blade/Hysteria/Desert Wind/Iron Staff no longer override normal weapons; which consequently ruins the feeling of "going Super Saiyan" they used to possess as abilities, and removed any sense of them being a powerful "ultimate".
  • How the automatic block interrupts channeling of Exalted Weapons, aiming guns, reloading, and even channeled non-Exalted skills. I've had every action I just listed be abruptly halted or stuck frozen; typically because the auto-block detected a very tiny and weak projectile like an Osprey's plasma bolt or Infested vomit, and consequently decided it better save me from this "deadly attack" by stopping everything else I was doing. The aforementioned Osprey bolt was also fired from more than 600m away in the Orb Vallis, so I think I can safely accuse the automatic block of being overzealous.

More minor than the rest, but still important: the fact that Tatsu's jump attack has zero foreword motion; unlike every other melee weapon. You remain in place and do not get movement in the direction you aimed. I'm fairly certain that was unintended and is a bug with Heavy Curved Swords as a new weapon type.

Thank you to everyone at Digital Extremes for your hard work, but I have my own genuine reasons to take issue with the "improved" melee system, and I know that others share them. Please at least give us some consideration; it's all that I ask of any of you.

Edited by Maxim_M_Payne
fixing grammar

Not sure if this is game wide or a switch only issue but when using a Spear Gun (Like Ferrox) without a secondary weapon it seems to treat your melee weapon like the  "original quick melee" only. I lose the ability to equip, channel, or perform combos.

Granted with the new melee system I am considering taking a secondary on this particular build as there is less reason to go "throw ferrox/javlok -> strait into melee" but I think this should be made aware since being locked into OG quick melee sucks quite a bit.

Once upon a time I was primarily a melee player. Now guns are absolutely meta. That being said, I love all the changes you've made so far EXCEPT the virtual loss of "block gliding" or blocking while aim gliding with melee equipped. There IS a way to do this still but that is to have ONLY a melee weapon equipped (no guns). I would definitely rather be able to do this and still have guns. This would make Valkyr's Hysterical Assault more usable as well with the ability to aim glide the leap from the air.

I haven't experienced having my attacks be cancelled by blocking but it sounds like that's a problem as well.

Otherwise great job yall!

I'd like there to be some ridicule effect for when channeling is activated, since right now in the heat of combat and effects and particles flying everywhere and weapon switching cancels channeling and "block" combos equips guns as soon as you stop spamming melee attack inputs (not sure if that happens normally too or just for us with the "Use Primary fire input to melee" option, but that will presumably fix itself when the stance/combo reworks finally releases) it can get hard to tell if channeling is activated or not, since the sound is too quiet to hear when there's shooting and slashing and hit sounds, and the channeling effects on the frames are often not too preeminent, and for most extremely hard to see when the frame is in motion so what we're left with is trying to see if the glowy line that comes from the hilt is there below the weapon trail.

(Controller) Also i just want to mention that the melee reworks "RB is keybind locked to ability menu and melee channel" change feels horrible, at least let us bind the regular action freely and then just have melee channel override it when a melee weapon is equipped.

Take secondary fire as example, when you hold a gun, having secondary fire on RB next to RT (primary fire) makes sense,  and when you hold a melee weapon RB is channeling, RT is attack and all makes sense since i don't think any melee weapon use the secondary fire function anyway. (the current default of RB is channeling, RT is Primary fire, B is Melee and click R-stick is secondary fire both sounds and feels weird and clunky to me).

We already have the "Melee attack with primary fire input" option, but a "Secondary fire with Melee Channel input" (or invert it to "Melee Channel with Secondary fire input" for consistency) is what i hereby request if we cannot just get to keybind controllers freely anymore.

On 2019-03-23 at 3:32 PM, (NSW)TeddyTalks said:

Cannot play?  They changed blockglide and melee combos and you guys acting like the game is broken.  It is absolutely irrational and quite frankly pathetic.  If so many members of a community are so ingrained in a particular play style, that even a slight change is enough to make the game unplayable, then I think DE made the right thing.  They did not destroy anything except arguably spamming E for halberds and their coptering. What you talk about sounds more like a glitch then a feature, and something that will be patched out.  Other than that.

I heard people hate on aimed slams, despite being substantially better than old slams for mobility and usability. 

I seen people complain about the instant switching and the combos, despite the combos being a proboem that are being reworked, and the instant switching being functionally better as it is less clunky, quicker and do not bug out where if you hold melee switch then swing to quick, you will only be able to do quick attacks until you stop attacking and wait a whole second to actually switch. 

I see people complaining about the removal of block guide, despite the fact it did literally nothing. All of these complaints are not real except for halberd users and the bugs.  Everything else are from people who hate change in general. 

Simply deluded, Even after explaining a single severe glitch out of the many obvious. the game is broken for melee players, try to play melee equipped alone and use your scanner. Then try to glide. another issue is using melee with guns equipped, you can't stay in melee until you're ready to switch, gliding automatically puts you to guns and zooms while gliding, you have to also preselect the gun you want to glide with to have the least zoom effect while gliding which is a setback for those who use rifles mostly, it is an all around setback for those who are using melee mostly but in both cases not exclusively. Auto block is just not something that makes it feel like you the player is playing the game, whilst it may be useful or some cases not, this would be better if it were optional. Despite what you see people having issues with and stated, let them be, if they aren't insulting you or anyone else, simply let them be. They are the ones having the issues, not you, so let them be. If you have no issues then say you have no issues and let them be. If you like areas of the update, let it be known what you like and why, but let them be. credit your own likes of the new system and don't discredit others dislikes, let them be. Let them be. Let them be. Let them be.
PS:Nora says "AND BAAAYBEH!  Let them be!"

I just wanted to chime in and say this post accurately reflects both sides of the coin:

1.) The appreciation I have for DE's hard work, the enjoyment of the new system!

2.) and most of the issues I have with the new system as well.

=)

(some lines bolded by me):

I want to start with some genuine praise, by saying that all of you at DE put a lot of hard work into this, as you all always do with anything involving the game; and I have no doubts about your passion for the game world and fondness for the player community. You are superbly dedicated, always willing to lend a listening ear, and choose to put in a time-crunch most others are forced into by their bosses. I understand and appreciate all that you do, and I don't want to hassle or put down any of you. You're a wonderful development team, and some of the friendliest, dorkiest, ... well... actually, the only Canadians I know. You're good people and huge nerds, and I mean that as a compliment. It's part of what makes Warframe unique.

To this end, I'm trying to articulate politely why I don't enjoy the new melee; though I do like the visual changes and the aiming of ground slams.

I like:

The aimed ground slam, the new elemental effects, and that the aforementioned elemental effects now match energy color of my frames/weapons. Those were good changes. Those have been things that not only bothered my TennoFashion(TM) brain, but also caused visual exhaustion, so it's nice they're now consistent.

I don't enjoy:

• The non-controllable blocking. You guys had good intentions to try and raise player durability, but that could have been done by increasing the blocking percentage of weapons across the board. Instead, it effectively sends the player the message "you need to be watched and can't defend yourself".
  • The lack of an outright melee-wielding mode like before. If I can't choose to continuously use nothing but a Galatine because I feel like going on an Knight Artorias-style rampage with my Valkyr Prime, there's neither much of a purpose nor much fun to melee. Please just let me hold my own weapons again, for God's sake. Let me choose to be a swordsman instead of reducing what used to be the core of my gameplay style to decorative ornamentation.
  • The removal of holstering between all three weapon slots. It was genuinely satisfying to see my Warframe draw a blade and hear the metallic "shink" sound.
  • The wrecked use of stances, because RMB is glitched to Timbuktu; and the toggle jammed in during a hotfix is not the same as actually allowing us to control blocking again. The block is still automatic, the toggle doesn't always work, and it can get jammed blocking nothing at all. It also blocks very weak attacks, and more on that below.
  • That over-saturated flashing effect that occurs with the new "quick switch", as Warframe has more than enough causes of eye fatigue for normal players; and seems to increase in the number of potential seizure triggers for photosensitive players with each new change rushed in. Another super-fast energy flicker with a half-second duration is only sure to exacerbate this. We're practically clogged with VFX.
  • The fact that channeling does not work, even with my alternate fire keybind and the new settings for channeling enabled via Options; and so pressing the alt-fire key does nothing. Bye-bye Life Strike and Killing Blow.
  • How ground slams don't cause knockdown anymore, only ragdoll, which makes finishers impossible (unless you're using a stun ability) and is another sign the new system caters to mainly-ranged players rather than mainly-melee players; since presumably this change was added to make shooting enemies mid-air easier. Didn't do much good for stabbing foes on the ground, though.
  • The fact several already-glitched melee holsters (Silva & Aegis Prime, i.e.) are now even MORE misaligned than before. I don't know what caused it, but it juts out at about 45 degrees from the shield's "alcove" for it, still half-retracted.
  • The fact that, for some reason, Exalted Blade/Hysteria/Desert Wind/Iron Staff no longer override normal weapons; which consequently ruins the feeling of "going Super Saiyan" they used to possess as abilities, and removed any sense of them being a powerful "ultimate".
  • How the automatic block interrupts channeling of Exalted Weapons, aiming guns, reloading, and even channeled non-Exalted skills. I've had every action I just listed be abruptly halted or stuck frozen; typically because the auto-block detected a very tiny and weak projectile like an Osprey's plasma bolt or Infested vomit, and consequently decided it better save me from this "deadly attack" by stopping everything else I was doing. The aforementioned Osprey bolt was also fired from more than 600m away in the Orb Vallis, so I think I can safely accuse the automatic block of being overzealous.

Edited by youngjdef

Melee 2.9/3.0 isn't really meant for melee. This is an update meant for guns. It's concerning that an update called melee really means shiny fashion accessories. You'd think it would be centered around our favorite smashy slashy yeeter bonkers, but it ignores the glaring issue with a lot of weapon stances.

Quick melee was honestly a nice bandaid to our slow weapon stances that even a combo of primed fury, berserker, and an attack speed riven can not fix. It does not matter how fast you can attack because some stances lack speed - you're locked in a slow attack animation.

So far this update has brought forth the glaring issues that several stances have, along with force feeding you autoblock even when you run melee only. You don't get a choice, your hand MUST BE HELD, because you cannot be trusted to defend yourself. Also, spin to win playstyle has become far more common. Even I've started doing it because slide attacks don't lock you in the slow combo animations. It's kind of the new quick melee.

Some combo moves don't really make sense, like Crushing Ruin's E E down+E E (Winding Temper), which flings you forward.. for trying to back up at the wrong time. This would probably make a bit more sense if it was holding W, but then you would be unwillingly flung into or past enemies.
Now, E E pause E E E (Raging Whirlwind) makes some sense for a hammer, however when it smashes it flings them way too high. Why can't this just be a knockdown instead? Can we have stances that do knockdown?

Why can't we just make our own custom melee stances, putting together what we like from other stances already in the game and universally equip it on any melee?

What I mean here is, there's a lot of block combos in the game. I'd prefer Resplendent Calma from Tempo Royale, and that would probably be my go-to block combo on any heavy weapon.
If not, what about allowing weapon classifications to bleed over a bit, in the sense of - dual daggers can now use dual sword stances (or parts of them?), imagine Fang Prime, and Venka Prime with Carving Mantis. A scythe like Hate with the ever popular Crimson Dervish or Vengeful Revenant. Scythe stances are pretty terrible.

I'm just throwing out some ideas and giving feedback. Melee, and melee stances needs help. I don't think this update should of been dropped on our laps like this without at least improving the stances first.

I'm glad people are able to enjoy their guns.

Funny. I recently played a Destiny and found an interesting point. When you equip a sword, it is possible to block by pressing a separate button. In the game which is a shooter, it is possible to block attacks manually. And no one finds this strange or annoying.

But what is really annoying is that an update that should have improved the melee system has simplified melee control to two buttons.

Two buttons for melee. (Before the update was five)
Five buttons for shooting.

It supposed to be melee rework, not gunplay rework!

Auto-block blocks or hinders the ability to use abilities sometimes..

- specifically in higher end missions when there's a ton of things shooting at you at once which is basically a death sentence when previously you could just cast and have a moment to re-gather your britches. I just disengage now because its ridiculous having to hit an ability button a ton of times just to try get past the stupid blocking animation that will not quit getting in the way.

How do syndicate weapons proc now? I can't work it out. You can run around with melee out, nothing happens. You can't equip it like before so the proc meter would grow. Have we wasted 100k+ points on melee weapons that don't even get their syn proc now?

not being able to equip a melee weapon anymore feels really bad. I used to just equip my melee weapon and and melee attack with m1 which is the same as my primary fire but now the only way for me to mash melee is to mash E. which means I cant use my D key, which means my character loses the ability to turn to the right, which seems vitally important in a game that is so movement dependent. To be fair, I think being able to preform melee combos from quick melee is great, but there is no reason to remove the ability to equip a melee weapon and to have a second button for melee when that melee is equipped. Losing that functionality has made melee and movement in general to feel VERY awkward to me in the time that I have come back to the game.

On 2019-03-24 at 12:59 PM, Ulvra said:

Most of the block combos trigger already on the third swing, once that happens you can freely let go of the aim button and continue it, that way once the combo end or you stop meleeing you won't be taken to your ranged weapon. In the heat of the moment you can usually let go of the aim button and safely conclude your swings without issue, just need to get used to release the button slightly before you stop swinging your melee.

Yeah, dehumanising other people is certainly a way to give your point validity. Here's a hint: Not. Try to argue your point and keep the insults in your pocket next time, that way you'll look at least a little mature.

I agree it wouldn't take to long to get used to performing the new block combos. However, the inability to block actively, feels really bad to me. weapons that gain benefits from blocking like the Vaykor Sydon. How it used to work is i could build up my blind with only a few enemies around then move to a larger group and blind them all. but I cant do that anymore. Any thoughts on this?

I would like to hear something from the devs, if they are going to fix this mess and make melee playable again for everyone.

I envy the people who can adapt to this new melee system, cuz personally to avoid troubles or frustrations, sometimes I have to play without melee, and I hope I won't need to do this for too long.

• Like 1

I've been enjoying the changes quite a lot, despite the whole system being unfinished. I may go so far as to say that it's glaringly unfinished, but nonetheless, the melee changes has been maybe my favorite update since parkour 2.0. Granted, I'm someone who likes to use as many different things as the game will let me, so I'm pretty much exactly the player that these changes were designed for, so there's not many ways that I'm going to dislike something like this. 

Good Things

• The instant swapping feels fantastic. The old system felt very "use melee all the time or basically ignore it" because of the slow, clumsy swapping, and that's totally gone now. 
  • Ground slams now feel like they contribute to mobility instead of hindering it. 
  • The game's overall combat system feels much more fluid and involved. Players who like to use both guns and melee will have much more depth in combat.

Bad Things

• Some stances are really bad. We used to be able to get around this with quick melee, but now that's impossible to ignore, which makes this problem much bigger. 
  • Even the good stances still have a really bad case of Morse code, but this is going away with later changes from what I've heard. 
  • Channeling is very obviously on its deathbed. It's even more cumbersome to use now, perhaps to the point where it's entirely a dead mechanic. It's not really a problem if you have a maxed Arcane Grace and/or you play Nidus or Oberon and thus don't need Life Strike, but that's not everyone's reality. 
  • Melee itself has been cut down to fit within gunplay, and there wasn't a great deal of depth within the melee system to begin with. 

Neutral Things

• Autoblock. I understand why this decision was made--blocking was never a mechanic with much depth in Warframe, and Warframe today is really focused on damage reduction stacking and hyper offense, which kinda limits the need/use for a foundational blocking system anyway--but I don't know that this was the best answer for blocking. I would have liked to see blocking expanded into something more active, like a limited block (as opposed to the unlimited block we had with melee 2.0) with bullet deflection that staggers enemies hit. The game is already full of passive defense, and while I see why blocking was made into a passive defense, I would have liked to see the game with strong yet limited active defense. 
  • The instant swapping feels overwhelmingly better on Gunblades with Bullet Dance than literally anything else thanks to how much more usable and fluid Bullet Dance is than charged shots. I'd probably put Tempo Royale in second place for stances that feel pretty good with these changes, but it's not a close second. 

Mmmh i'm reading all those issues, i've tried the new melee system...

i don't like so much, for the same points that you all have wrote.

This system is maded for make gun mode much quick to use i think...so why have a melee system?
This is the problem....all seems that is maded for erase the melee in this game.

I'm not a big melee player, but i liked to quick slash enemies haha!

My thoughts is this:

Why don't restore the old weapon change system and improve the melee for real? i mean, there're a lot of mmorpg action melee based, that are really interesting, maybe a kind of that way could improve a lot this marvelous game.
For example: 
When i switch to melee solo mode (with the old sys with continue press F), i be able to attack with M1 and M2 with a kind of fast attack (with M1) and a kind of heavy attack (with M2), maybe using the old attack button (E) for block.
This system for me allow to create much complex combos, maybe allow to make some player to play only with melee with a kind of class choosing. I mean that players would be able to build their frames with only melee instead of an hybrid build...

• Like 2

On consoles, whether it is a fishing spear, mining laser, simarus scanner or regular scanner, if you melee you don’t go back to the appropriate gear item you initially equipped when ADS. It’ll immediate override to whatever firearm you last used, or if you’re in melee-only for your loadout you’re manually blocking. This needs to be fixed that the gear item you equipped initially that that item will take precedence whenever you melee. The only time you don’t switch back to your firearms whenever you melee with any of these gear items are equipped is whenever you perform a stealth finisher.

Quick question regarding this.

Were weapon trail effects taken away as part of the melee rework, and if so, why?

I really liked sprinting around leaving a coloured trail in my wake, it looked cool and 'sci-fi'.  It may be something I've only just noticed, but the fact remains that I've now noticed it, and now I want it back.  The new weapon elemental FX are nice, but couldn't we have that AND the weapon trails?

9 hours ago, (PS4)The_Boshy said:

I agree it wouldn't take to long to get used to performing the new block combos. However, the inability to block actively, feels really bad to me. weapons that gain benefits from blocking like the Vaykor Sydon. How it used to work is i could build up my blind with only a few enemies around then move to a larger group and blind them all. but I cant do that anymore. Any thoughts on this?

The Vaykor Sydon was definitely one of my big worries too, however I find it even easier to use now than before because it doesn't even require you to be actively blocking to hold the charge. You will passively charge it as you autoblock and can release it at will. Now I haven't had time to go in and run a mission with it mind you, but based on some quick testing in the Simulacrum this seems to be the case, for both melee-only and otherwise. The one minor annoyance is that I do need to remember to toggle my channeling off again or it'll start eating up my energy, or slow down charge generation due to parry staggers, but since channeling is going to be entirely changed to something else that's a small thing and I can get used to that until then (I forgot to test what happens if you switch to ranged while you have charges going, so unknown for now).

Other things I was concerned about is Guardian Derision (I know Electromagnetic Shielding also has some issues, but I have not played with that yet, so I cannot speak for it), which I actually use on my Vaykor Sydon. Here any blocking will immediately taunt enemies and you won't taunt until you break the block manually. This causes a few issues of control, namely that in ranged mode you can't taunt on demand because you need someone to attack you first, though you can break by aiming, while in melee-only mode you lack the control of when taunting start (you can block to force start it, but if anyone shoots at you, you're taunting like it or not) and the only way to break it currently is to look away from the angle of block (or technically swing constantly at empty air, but don't consider that viable). This makes it rather awkward to work with. What I would like to see them do there is to make it taunt on equip for ranged mode, so having your melee out taunts, putting it away cuts it, while in melee-only mode I'd like to see it trigger only on manual blocking. It's small things and I'm sure they'll get that tuned up.

Edited by Ulvra
Added a little clarification
  • Like 1