[DE]Danielle

Melee Revisit: Phase 1 Feedback Megathread

11 hours ago, Genitive said:

Are we going to get a dev workshop on anything related to melee? You told us during the last melee update that you didn't want to go silent on it again, and yet here we are knowing little to nothing but "we're working on it". This is the quote by @[DE]Rebecca from Phase 1 thread:

We don't want to repeat 2018's Melee discussion where we show, go dark, and the year passes. We'll live through this evolution in phases together and adjust the sails along the way. We are confident the change is needed, and we've started charting the course.

Not even players' concerns about removal of block have been commented on.

I have a list of things I think many players would want to know:
1. Is auto block going to stay, or are you going to bring manual blocking back somehow?
2. Are you going to change how the combo counter works?
3. Is charge attacks preswing going to be removed?
4. What are the channeling changes?
5. In general, what is your plan after a couple of months of feedback from the players?

I don't think reworking Wukong with the new melee is enough of a preview. Maybe it's just me, but I don't really like being kept in the dark.

I also realize that Tennocon took a lot of your time, but still.

fellow mortal Tenno, the gods of DE hear nothing. 

another question I would like to add is why were the animations for the Tenno grabbing arsenal from holsters removed? This teleporting thing seems unfinished and unpolished. Would much prefer having them grab the arsenal.

• Applause 1

7 hours ago, Ofeban said:

This is the reality of what happens to video games when the ultimate decision-making goes to corporate suits who:

A) Don't play the game.

B) See the company as a profit-making entity rather than an artistic body.

C) Make decisions based on marketing(AKA Crook Book) that directly, negatively impact the integrity of the game, so that short-term profits can be earned.

Imagine if the actual developers and artists who build this game weren't inundated with demands to create new content and flashy-pinaschy BS to attract new players/keep fickle old players. Imagine if they could take their time with something like Melee 2.9999, ship it better in the first place, *and* respond to constructive criticism.

This is absolutely the stupidest thing I've read.

You realize you're talking about DE, not EA, right? You're talking about Steve and his crew. The devs are the ones making the decisions.

• Applause 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DrakeWurrum said:

This is absolutely the stupidest thing I've read.

You realize you're talking about DE, not EA, right? You're talking about Steve and his crew. The devs are the ones making the decisions.

They don't play the game, though. There are so many cases in this game of either bugs (one example: sanctuary onslaught not completable when solo unless using a fully minmaxed saryn) or just bad design (waving the damn fish around EVERY SINGLE TIME, despite knowing full well how many fish you'll need to get) which would have been found immediately upon the first playtest and then stamped on hard.

• Like 3
  • Woah 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, DoomFruit said:

They don't play the game, though.

Yes, they do. Sometimes they even stream while doing it.

Edited by DrakeWurrum
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, DrakeWurrum said:

Yes, they do. Sometimes they even stream while doing it.

No, they showcase some carefully highlighted bits. They don't actually get in and play it like one of the ordinary playerbase would, from start to finish, grinding up all of the required resources, mods, frames and weapons.

If they did, they would have (for instance) very VERY quickly gotten tired of the whole "flail the fish around after you catch it" crap.

Edited by DoomFruit
  • Like 3
  • Woah 1

Posted (edited)

I just recently came back to playing warframe a bit more (upcoming content trailers made me want to play it more regularly again), and realised that this whole new melee system has disabled any block combos with my melee weapons. I can't "aim" with my melee weapons. Combos are broken for me. Has anyone come up with a way to get combos to work again?

EDIT: Okay wow. after further reading, i see now i was "away" while all this stuff was going on, and that melee has been "borked" for a while. That is disappointing to come back to 😕

Still have to somehow deal with my once most used Galatine melee combo being a combo i now cannot use at all ever again. 😕 😕 😕
It kinda takes the wind out of my upcoming-content-hype-sails TBH
😕

EDIT 2:

On 2019-07-16 at 9:08 PM, (PS4)azul86sapphire said:

Well I imagine there are some, like myself, who have just stopped playing Warframe altogether for months now, only checking this thread or the Dev Workshop forum for Melee updates...

Well i am here right now coming back from months of not playing, google searching and trying to find out what the heck happened. Trying to find out why melee is so broken, and if there are any ways around it to be able to do combos again.

Edited by (XB1)PlatinumTimbit

4 hours ago, (XB1)PlatinumTimbit said:

I just recently came back to playing warframe a bit more (upcoming content trailers made me want to play it more regularly again), and realised that this whole new melee system has disabled any block combos with my melee weapons. I can't "aim" with my melee weapons. Combos are broken for me. Has anyone come up with a way to get combos to work again?

EDIT: Okay wow. after further reading, i see now i was "away" while all this stuff was going on, and that melee has been "borked" for a while. That is disappointing to come back to 😕

Still have to somehow deal with my once most used Galatine melee combo being a combo i now cannot use at all ever again. 😕 😕 😕
It kinda takes the wind out of my upcoming-content-hype-sails TBH
😕

EDIT 2:

Well i am here right now coming back from months of not playing, google searching and trying to find out what the heck happened. Trying to find out why melee is so broken, and if there are any ways around it to be able to do combos again.

Your only option is Melee Only, no Primary/Secondary. You get manual block and block glide back, though I don't know about combos.

• Like 1

latest?cb=20190523160230

Only reason I'd like manual block back, as a toggleable choice.

This mod is an absolute chad, and introducing manual block would make it far less of a chore to use.

Only other thing I'd say is don't have auto block make you aim glide, just blocking as you fall normally. It's a bit disruptive.

Other than that, I actually like the Melee 2.99987654321 changes and after seeing Newkong's combo rework I'm looking forward to the rest of it.

Can we please get rid of RMB bringing out my gun when im trying to melee combo?

• Like 5

My issue is that I both like and dislike the insta-swapping between melee and firearms. Mostly the block/right mouse button combos, as this can sometimes cause you to aim in the middle of a combo, letting a sneaky bombard missile to get in through your auto-blocking. The other thing is that the sudden aiming in the middle of melee is quite jarring and even headache-inducing, at least to me. I would like an option to prevent aiming from swapping to guns again, and only the fire button can do it instead.

• Like 2

On 2019-07-20 at 1:34 AM, DoomFruit said:

They don't play the game, though. There are so many cases in this game of either bugs (one example: sanctuary onslaught not completable when solo unless using a fully minmaxed saryn) or just bad design (waving the damn fish around EVERY SINGLE TIME, despite knowing full well how many fish you'll need to get) which would have been found immediately upon the first playtest and then stamped on hard.

Pablo plays and streams

• Like 2

4 hours ago, (PS4)big_eviljak said:

Pablo plays and streams

Pablo....

4 hours ago, Gene_Freak said:

They're considering modifying the Hysteria augment to give Valkyr an entire half second of residual invulnerability when aiming, in case you're interested in the apathetic shrugs and half-measures we can expect to see as "fixes" for everything that 2.9 ruined.

Let alone that it's as part of the augment and the "fix" doesn't even apply to the core ability. Just like "Just unequip your guns entirely" is also not even remotely something resembling an acceptable fix for the issues at hand.

• Like 3

On 2019-07-25 at 2:41 PM, Gene_Freak said:

They're considering modifying the Hysteria augment to give Valkyr an entire half second of residual invulnerability when aiming, in case you're interested in the apathetic shrugs and half-measures we can expect to see as "fixes" for everything that 2.9 ruined.

That... is so pathetic.

Legitimately, since Melee changes, I play *only* Umbral Valkyr Prime, Melee-Only. Hysteria works properly and parkour works properly. Been holding out on them using their brains and reverting this god-awful idea, yet it looks like they're just doubling down and getting stubborn?

Haha, I only log on for sorties. Pretty soon I won't log on at all. Sad because I #*!%ing love the warframe mechanics, but it's the damn truth.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Yea, RMB switch is a really nasty thing for Valkyr and other frames with summon weapon powers, but with Valkyr it's particularly easy to see because of how the RMB switch completely disrupts Hysteria.

Residual invulnerability augment for Hysteria isn't a bad idea in itself, tying it to aiming (and ergo, RMB switch) is. Half a second is kinda iffy, but that's workable I guess if you use certain types of gun. Similarly, it doesn't really address the issue of weapon summons and Hysteria draining energy when they aren't doing anything.

Edited by vaarnaaarne

On 2019-07-25 at 8:41 PM, Gene_Freak said:

Talk about a solution to a problem they created. This thing should be baseline.

Anyway...

After the lack of information about melee 3.0 and the usual "we're working on it" we also heard that there is still a lot of work to be done, I'm getting convinced that we're not seeing it this year. I get it that you have nothing to show, but the lack of information is aggravating.

In that case, can you at least tweak the current system to remove some annoying things about it? There are 2:

- block glide

- weapon swap after RMB combo

These are 2 the most annoying things about melee right now and there is absolutely no point in waiting for who knows how long until the full rework to fix them.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Genitive said:

Anyway...

After the lack of information about melee 3.0 and the usual "we're working on it" we also heard that there is still a lot of work to be done, I'm getting convinced that we're not seeing it this year. I get it that you have nothing to show, but the lack of information is aggravating.

In that case, can you at least tweak the current system to remove some annoying things about it? There are 2:

- block glide

- weapon swap after RMB combo

These are 2 the most annoying things about melee right now and there is absolutely no point in waiting for who knows how long until the full rework to fix them.

Yes please!

And keeping channeling turned on, even if you do switch weapons. What's the point of a "channeling toggle" if you have to keep turning it back on?

Ability to turn on channeling even without a melee weapon out would also fit in well with the current state of melee, but just leaving it active until turned off even if you switch weapons would be a good improvement.

But main issue still is RMB and autoblock, and it'd be nice if DE would respond regarding the two.

Let's wrap it up bois...they'll ignore melee completely anyway

GG

We fought the good fight

We gave constructive criticism that went unnoticed 

Time to log off and play other games 🤙🤙

On 2019-07-25 at 8:41 PM, Gene_Freak said:

this just proves they've given up completely on fixing what they caused to melee and decided to make bandaid augments for it

very disappointed with this direction

41 minutes ago, (PS4)Hopper_Orouk said:

Let's wrap it up bois...they'll ignore melee completely anyway

GG

We fought the good fight

We gave constructive criticism that went unnoticed 

Time to log off and play other games 🤙🤙

I have not yet begun to fight!

3 hours ago, vaarnaaarne said:

I have not yet begun to fight!

sorry i've already given up

they're going to change my favorite mod hysterical assault for a bandaid augment that fixes the problem that they've caused for them

i can't tolerate any more of this...i've already quit the game