Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Melee Revisit: Phase 1 Feedback Megathread

[DE]Danielle

This thread will be used to house your feedback on Phase 1 of the Melee Revisit! No one knows the power of their Arsenal better than the Tenno - your adaptability and skill with the blade will be tested, and as we continue these changes, we rely on your feedback! 

Here’s what has changed:

Let The Gun & Blade Flow
Swap between your gun and melee at the press of a button, no holstering required! Combos can be executed and resumed between movement and more. Blocking is now automatic in melee mode when aiming at an attacking enemy. Your stance combos may have changed, check out the Stance interface!

Death From Above
A Tenno is a master of aerial tactics - now you can better target enemies on the ground with deadly and responsive aimed ground slams. 

Effects Upgrades
We've done a complete overall of all Melee Effects! Hit animations, elemental effects and slam attacks: making melee look as good as it feels!

More to Come
Fundamentally, we aim to upgrade Melee. This is Phase 1.

Expand the spoilers below for more details on the changes: 

Spoiler

1) Uninterrupted Combat - firearm to equipped melee (and vice versa) states are instant.

• Bonus 1.a) Combo Resume. 

2) Ground Slams are more controllable, cleaner, and simpler.

All melee weapons have had their ground-slam ranges increased and new FX added:

• Glaive slam range increased to 5m
  • Warfan slam range increased to 5m
  • Dagger slam range increased to 5m
  • Dual dagger slam range increased to 6m
  • Claw weapon slam range increased to 6m
  • Gunblade slam range increased to 5m
  • Nunchaku slam range increased to 6m
  • Sword and Shield slam range increased to 7m
  • Single Sword slam range increased to 7m
  • Blade Whip slam range increased to 7m
  • Rapier slams increased to 6m
  • Dual Sword slam range increased to 8m
  • Tonfa slam range increased to 8m
  • Machete slam range increased to 7m
  • Nikana slam range increased to 6m
  • Hammer slam range increased to 9m
  • Staff slam range increased to 6m
  • Polearm slam range adjusted to 7m
  • Scythe slam range increased to 8m
  • Heavy Blade slam range increased to 8m
  • Fists weapon slam range increased to 8m
  • Sparring weapon slam range increased to 7m 

3) Visual FX: 2019 style!

A full Visual FX pass has been done for Phase 1! Because this is Phase 1, it 'means all the unique weapons will have new generic FX for a little while (Jat Kittag etc.) until we can get through them all and make new clean variants'.

New and cleaner FX have been created with the idea of beautifully short, highly detailed lifespans. Not infinite - meaning the 'Constant Weapon Trail' option will be removed as a result of this change (at least for Phase 1, we really do think it looks better removed).

4) PC Keybinds!
Notable Keybind changes:

BLOCKING 

Blocking with a melee weapon is no longer keybound, it is automatic when facing enemies who are dealing damage to you in melee mode. Your Reticle determines all! 

CHANNELING
Channeling is now a toggle set to your alt-fire button when in melee mode.
Your 'F' button (if using default key bindings) now exclusively swaps between Primary and Secondary weapons with a tap.
Your left mouse button is gun fire, always, instantly.
Your right mouse button is now aim, always, instantly.

OPTIONS:
We are adding a toggle to preserve one aspect of the older melee system. You will be able to toggle an option, allowing you to continue melee attacks with the left mouse button once in melee mode.

4. i) PS4 Biddings! 

General:

• Your Triangle button will exclusively swaps between Primary and Secondary weapons with a tap.
  • Pressing Triangle when in Melee mode will switch you back to your "other" weapon. For example, if your Primary weapon is equipped when you trigger a Melee attack, you will return to your Primary weapon when you aim or fire. If you instead press Triangle while in Melee mode, you will equip your Secondary weapon.
  • Your R2 trigger will be gun fire, always, instantly.
  • Your L2 trigger will always aim, instantly.

Channeling: 

Channeling will be a toggle set to your alt-fire button when in melee mode.
Melee Channeling will no longer be able to be rebound due to it completely breaking the Melee changes. We apologize for the discomfort this may cause for those who have built their controllers comfortably around a different binding. 

Blocking:
Blocking with a melee weapon is now automatic when facing enemies who are dealing damage to you in melee mode. Your Reticle determines all!  

However, we have also included Manual blocking/parry when players wield only a Melee weapon in a mission (i.e NO Secondary or Primary equipped). This is possible because in this specific state, some bindings are free to allow this manual blocking. We do not plan on adding it to any other state yet. 

The default binding to block with Melee-only equipped will now be the L2 trigger (“Aim Weapon”)! Which will require a bit of a muscle memory adjustment, as expected with the rest of the binding changes. This is mostly due to the toggle we have added to enable Melee attacking with the Fire Weapon input: 

We have added a toggle to preserve one aspect of the older melee system. You will be able to toggle it, allowing you to continue melee attacks with the R2 trigger once in melee mode. You will find it under Options > Controls > “Melee with Fire Weapon Input”. 

4. ii) XB1 Bindings! 

Notable Control Binding changes:

General:

• Your 'Y' button will exclusively swaps between Primary and Secondary weapons with a tap.
  • Pressing 'Y' when in Melee mode will switch you back to your "other" weapon. For example, if your Primary weapon is equipped when you trigger a Melee attack, you will return to your Primary weapon when you aim or fire. If you instead press 'Y' while in Melee mode, you will equip your Secondary weapon.
  • Your 'RT' will be gun fire, always, instantly.
  • Your 'LT' will always aim, instantly.

Channeling: 

Melee Channeling will no longer be able to be rebound due to it completely breaking the Melee changes. We apologize for the discomfort this may cause for those who have built their controllers comfortably around a different binding. 

Blocking:
Blocking with a melee weapon is now automatic when facing enemies who are dealing damage to you in melee mode. Your Reticle determines all!  

However, we have also included Manual blocking/parry when players wield only a Melee weapon in a mission (i.e NO Secondary or Primary equipped). This is possible because in this specific state, some bindings are free to allow this manual blocking. We do not plan on adding it to any other state yet. 

The default binding to block with Melee-only equipped will now be the 'LT' trigger (“Aim Weapon”)! Which will require a bit of a muscle memory adjustment, as expected with the rest of the binding changes. This is mostly due to the toggle we have added to enable Melee attacking with the Fire Weapon input: 

We have added a toggle to preserve one aspect of the older melee system. You will be able to toggle it, allowing you to continue melee attacks with the 'RT' trigger once in melee mode. You will find it under Options > Controls > “Melee with Fire Weapon Input”. 

4. iii) Switch Bindings

Notable Control Binding changes:

General:

• Your 'X' button will exclusively swaps between Primary and Secondary weapons with a tap.
  • Pressing 'X' when in Melee mode will switch you back to your "other" weapon. For example, if your Primary weapon is equipped when you trigger a Melee attack, you will return to your Primary weapon when you aim or fire. If you instead press 'X' while in Melee mode, you will equip your Secondary weapon.
  • Your 'ZR' trigger will be gun fire, always, instantly.
  • Your 'ZL' trigger will always aim, instantly.

Channeling: 

Blocking:

The default binding to block with Melee-only equipped will now be the 'ZL' trigger (“Aim Weapon”)! Which will require a bit of a muscle memory adjustment, as expected with the rest of the binding changes. This is mostly due to the toggle we have added to enable Melee attacking with the Fire Weapon input: 

We have added a toggle to preserve one aspect of the older melee system. You will be able to toggle it, allowing you to continue melee attacks with the 'ZR' trigger once in melee mode. You will find it under Options > Controls > “Melee with Fire Weapon Input”. 

Additional Information and Changes:

• Updated Reticles: Melee mode has received its own reticle!
  • Archwing: Arch-Melee & Arch-Gun now also use the 'instant swap' behaviour.
  • Dual Wield (i.e Glaive & Single Secondary) is still supported!
  • Exalted weapons will also benefit from the uninterrupted swaps! Be aware that Energy will still drain, even when swapping between weapons!
  • AI hit reacts are getting updated! Enemies will have a more visceral/realistic response to the various hits you dish out.
  • With Melee Blocking now automatic, the Blocking angle has been reduced to 45 degrees.
  • Sigma & Octantis and Cobra & Crane Shield throw animations have been shortened and speed increased. 
  • If using no custom Energy color, the weapon will inherit the colors of the Elemental FX (or base trails if no elements are present). This unifies all colors (swing FX, trails, hit FX, etc).
  • Rakta Dark Dagger’s equipped bonus is now an innate upgrade that triggers on equip and lasts for 30 secs (refreshed on Melee equip).
  • Vaykor Sydon’s Radial Blind now triggers upon toggling Melee Channel on/off if you have the required charges stored.

FEEDBACK GUIDELINES

Before posting feedback on Phase 1 of the Melee Revisit be sure to spend enough time with her in different missions! Once you feel you have handle on what she’s all about, and would like to share your thoughts, here is a fast guide from a Dev side to write good, useful feedback. A well constructed and thought out post is the way to go! 

1. Keep it simple
Write simple, directed points about the topic you feel strongly about. Remember to be constructive and to the point.

2. Back it up
Support your points with concrete points. X has better stats than Y. This ability is less useful when considering X. Provide in-game situational evidence or a solid foundation for your argument to rest upon.

3. Be polite
The best feedback occurs when two people discuss opposing viewpoints to find a constructive middle ground. Discussion is a natural part of feedback! Ensuring that it is polite and without personal attacks is key. We’re far less inclined to listen to feedback filled with personal attacks and rude speech. We are all trying our best!

The Forums can be an amazing tool when used correctly. We look forward to hearing your thoughts on Phase 1 of the Melee Revisit! 

EDIT AS OF 8/26/19:

Greetings Tenno!

In brief, we owe you an update on Melee changes. Last Devstream had one remark about something maybe making it into Gauss’s Mainline, but this is no longer the case. You can see the clip here: as stated by Steve on Devstream #130.

We wanted to give you some insight into our process and why this decision was made.

The melee “beast” is a large one to tackle, and while we could add in some minor changes, the knock-on effects to other aspects of melee (such as Stances, blocking, Mods, Augments) may cause more issues than improvements. Frankly, we need to look at the system more holistically and make decisions based on thorough testing, and re-works of the varying components involved.

Those reworks are not going to make it into the system before our up and coming mainline update, and while we would have loved for these changes to make it sooner rather than later, we simply need more time to implement these changes to the expansive collection of melee systems in place.

What we can say with certainty is that your concerns have been heard, and they are at the forefront of our minds when we consider alterations. The changes to quick-melee, how channeling and blocking are affected all the way to how Valkyr’s power set has felt the knock-on effects of blocking changes. As we are sure you can understand, this transition will be much more complicated than the transition from Melee 1.0 to 2.0, and we want it to be the best that it can be.

Thank you for your patience and understanding, and we hope you enjoy all that the Mainline Update has to offer when it reaches you at supersonic speeds!

• Like 3

So, some melee combos have become a bit awkward, specifically ones that require you to hold the now defunct "Block" button. Now you have to hit the aim button to zoom in, then start meleeing and if you like using left click for sustained melee as I do, that means hitting right click first to melee, then left click to continue combo.

• Like 4

Some combos may have changed, but there are plenty that still require you to hit block in order to pull off the chain. Except it's not block, now. It's Aim. So during the middle of your melee combo, you're now required to have to pull out your gun just to 'aim' to do that chain.

This is especially frustrating if you want to make use of the option to melee with LMB. Tapping RMB will swap your equipped weapon back to your gun, which means LMB no longer swings your melee anymore. This means to do a basic LMB, LMB+RMB, LMB beginning of a combo chain, you have to LMB, RMB+E (to flip your melee back to being primary), LMB. Which is supremely awkward, and it really should not be the case that an option designed to cater to players who prefer melee as their primary makes it more clunky to do combo.

And that's not even getting into the zooming effect mid combo that can, depending on the default zoom magnification of the weapon, seriously disorient or even make you sick. 

Like, I get it. I get why - because blocking no longer exists. But in an update that touts the word 'Flow,' this is the exact opposite. It's janky and unintuitive. Please have someone go through the combos and replace RMB requirements with either a straight up directional input or a Pause, please.

• Like 3

I am so very sorry to be repeating myself. But this game feels gutted to me now. 

I will post this here, as well.

''New control scheme is terrible. What pushed you to make this?!...

On old control scheme you could change modes with a button--melee, then primary, then melee again. In new control scheme you change those modes with 'aim weapon/melee attack.' In the same time, aim weapon is used in combos for melee weapons. In old control scheme I could easily use melee attacks, then switch for ranged attacks, because the transition was more clear and precise. In new control scheme using melee feels actually wonkier, because I can no longer have my melee attack setup to the same button as weapon fire, i.e., Mouse 1. And literally any other button feels less comfortable for a melee-oriented player like me. On old control scheme the mode changing key--equip melee, was a very important tool for me. In new control scheme, I don't know which button to use for melee and which button to use for weapon fire anymore. It's gutted.

I already said that I mostly play melee. And while some of the animations and visual improvements are good, the core of this update feels like it's gutting the controls...

Is there any way I to have the old control scheme back on my client?''

• Like 3

So far, I think I like the new melee system - although, yes, it is kind of awkward to be holding a block button that no longer exists to do some combos.

Personally, I'm hoping that the combos themselves receive an overhaul as well, and no stance is left with two combos, one of which being the basic E-tapping combo. Stances like Brutal Tide and Pointed Wind have this kind of situation going, where the stance really only gives one combo as a result.

Digging the instant swapping, though, and the aimed slams are great. Making Channel toggle persist even when not using a melee weapon, as long as it's activated once, is awesome; I use Life Strike extensively, and being able to have that available without the delay of switching and then activating Channeling will make it even more useful for me. Instantly equipping the melee weapon also makes the Telos Boltace's spin attacks much more useful; before this change, the T!Boltace could only use Stormpath when fully equipped, which crippled their utility. With the new system, Stormpath can be accessed at essentially any time. Locking Exodia Contagion to aim-glide is...annoying, though. Before, I could use it by incorporating bunny-hops into my strafing, keeping my distance while I bombarded enemies, but with the aim-glide requirement, it forces me to move toward the target and delays my landing.

Calling back to hopes...I hope that Charge attacks stop requiring the pre-attack swing. This limits the usefulness of Glaive throws, the Caustacyst, and other weapons with special Charge attacks, by making them less responsive. On that note, Glaive throws should also just be normalized to the dual-wielding throw mechanic, in my opinion.

• Like 3

My first impression is very simple: I want my (polearm) quick melee back.

Milling through crowds at full tilt is what has made Warframe enjoyable for me for the past few years, and that appears to have been removed.

I'm going to poke around and see if this is a configurable thing, but right now I'm just... very disappointed.

Edit: So, i've thought about it a bit, and I think my fundamental issue is an aversion to anything that interrupts my controlled forward motion - such things make me frustrated on good days, and motion sick on bad ones. I'm here to be a Space Ninja, after all, and that's about moving and killing. I can get back to doing this with the new system if I can get one thing: a stance that has a primary combo that does not have movement-interrupting footwork. If I can just keep moving forward at full tilt while laying about me with a melee weapon, I won't quibble about whether it's a combo, a weapon in hand, quick melee, whatever.

Right now, though, I still feel like someone has pulled one of the spark plugs out of my car's engine - I hit the gas, and get nothing but hesitation.

Edit 2: further expansion.

Problem: as a consequence of the melee changes, players who relied on or were accustomed to the smooth, high speed quick melee behavior of certain stances (primarily Shimmering Blight and Bleeding Willow, but also the nunchuck stance and possibly others) are finding themselves frustrated by interrupted movement and unwanted attack animations.

The melee stances created by the Warframe team are spectacular examples of choreography, animation, and (I presume) motion capture. By and large, however, they rely extensively on animation locking and stationary attacks that are not a good match for the high speed, high mobility, fluid, parkour movement style that is core to the general Warframe experience.

Solution: without discarding the new melee system or negatively impacting the existing stances (or dismissing the considerable sunk costs to make them), I believe the best path forward is to add a line of new, simple stances that capture the old quick melee experience for players who seek it. These needn't have more than the bare minimum combos required for normal functionality; players who want this simply aren't interested in the complex timing and multiple inputs of the high-impact stance combos (with their damage multipliers, slam attacks, and the like). With luck, these basic stances can be cobbled together from existing assets. Done well, this will have the positive side effect of increasing the number of weapon classes that players will employ (ie, we won't feel restricted to only polearms, simply due to movement considerations).

Resolving this player pain point is something that I am entirely confident that DE can do, and do well.

Edited by pauli133
expanding on thoughts
  • Like 1

Are there any ideas floating around about maybe separating elemental damage types from elemental visuals?  I for one love the combo of slash/viral builds, but do not necessarily enjoy the look of the viral FX, which has lead me to playing since Melee 2.0 with FX turned off.  With all the new effects looking amazing, I don't want to feel left out due to what my builds do in terms of damage vs. how I want my weapon to look.

• Like 1

Having a little trouble with the Steam "Official Configuration for Warframe" Controller Configuration with the new Melee system.  I use a PS4 controller and had to do some considerable fiddling with it just to make the game playable... been working fine until this new update... Now I get a single swing out of my melee weapon, then I'm unable to swing again... at all.. pressing the melee button does nothing.  

Will there be an update to the Official Configuration at some point in the VERY near future?

Sorry, but as a melee player, the system is worse right now imo, mainly because it seems we can't aim glide with melee and we don't have a manual block. It would be good if you would add legacy options in the game to allow us to do both.

Concrete feedback to make it clear:

1) Melee needs an aim glide function again. Being able to aim glide and then do slam attacks was great in the old system. It would help in this new system because it would give you more time to aim where you want to land your slam attack. Adding a legacy option to allow this with the aim button would be great and would restore that functionality

2) Manual block was a good thing to be able to do in the old system. It would be nice to have a legacy option to be able to manually block again for those who want to do so.

Long-term, though, it would be nice to see block reworked to function a bit more like how it does in a game like Battlefront 2 (when blocking, slowed movement and based on a stamina system).

Edited by A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n
  • Like 2

Not having to block is very awkward right now, but I'm sure that given time, I could get used to it.  I have also already used the faster switching between melee/guns to quickly destroy Orokin energy beam emitters, so that part's cool, but it has also created a problem:  I can now no longer aim glide in melee mode.  This means I can no longer block while gliding (because I am forced to aim the gun I don't want to use) and it prevents me from using glide to get to a more advantageous position for a melee strike (I don't always want to do a ground slam).  It also means I have to manually switch back to melee mode every single time I glide (which I do occasionally sometimes just for getting from point A to point B), which is a pain. 

TL;DR:  Please give us a way to stay in melee mode while gliding.

• Like 1

Controller keybindings are presently very messed up. It isn't possible to rebind channel to alt-fire (it still is locked to Aim/Fire/Quick Melee). In addition to this, the LT/L2 button is experiencing a bug similar to one which was present a while back that prevented channeling. Instead of preventing channeling, it now prevents aiming. Using LB/L1 does allow for aiming and aimglide, but with channeling tied to fire or aim, it makes things awkward in that it requires you to continually press melee to keep yourself from equipping a gun while you're trying to channel. 

On a secondary and more feedback oriented note, I would very much like to see melee-aimglide stay possible in the game somehow. Whether that means making Aiming a contextual thing (zoom/aimglide for guns and aimglide for melee) or something else, it would be advantageous to be able to have my melee out and block as I aimglide toward enemies as was possible prior to the changes.

Overall though, the system does feel good, if a bit strange at first.   

Channeling just isn't working at all for me at the moment, not sure what's causing it

EDIT: So apparently the keybind needed to be manually changed to alt fire, as my channel key previously was just F

Edited by LazerSkink

My attack key no longer works with my melee weapon. I have to use the Quick Weapon key. This gets old when I want to keep my melee weapon equipped.  I want to be able to use ONE attack key for whatever weapon is selected and I can no longer select my melee weapon. Holding the Weapon Swap button to select Melee weapon was a pain in the butt, however all we needed to fix that was a weapon select key bind for melee.

Great game.

Thank you.

4 minutes ago, Shadow_Tallon said:

My attack key no longer works with my melee weapon. I have to use the Quick Weapon key. This gets old when I want to keep my melee weapon equipped.  I want to be able to use ONE attack key for whatever weapon is selected and I can no longer select my melee weapon. Holding the Weapon Swap button to select Melee weapon was a pain in the butt, however all we needed to fix that was a weapon select key bind for melee.

Great game.

Thank you.

You have to enable a setting in your options menu.

46 minutes ago, pauli133 said:

Milling through crowds at full tilt is what has made Warframe enjoyable for me for the past few years, and that appears to have been removed.

I'm going to poke around and see if this is a configurable thing, but right now I'm just... very disappointed.

I posted in the Buried Debts thread because they mentioned melee feedback in the OP there as well. But I posted the same thing as you. I'm bummed that the Polearm quick-melee/stanceless animation is replaced with one that locks up your movement. They redid the Staves stanceless animation as well, but the new Staves animation still lets you run around freely. Essentially, some animations are "from the torso up" like Staves, Nunchucks, one-hand Sword, while others like Dagger and Great Sword (and now Polearm) lock your legs into animations. It has always been inconsistent. It would make sense if only really heavy weapons like Hammer and Great Sword locked your mobility, but it applies to "nimble" weapons like Daggers and has now ruined my favorite melee weapon.

I bought a 1000p Plague Krippath Riven 4 months ago and have been counting the days for the next Plague Star event, but it was all for nothing if I'm stuck tripping myself up in Arbitrations with this obnoxious animation, when I need to carve a quick path to a drone.

The only current workaround I can think of would be to program a macro that will slow down the speed of your polearm swings enough that you cause the animation loop to start over, instead of proceeding into the "stationary pokes" segment. DE has said before that attack macros are OK for people with RSI (just got my wrist brace fitted today as a matter of fact!)

off the bat i wanna say i love most of the changes, with a few exceptions being combos that require you to block among other minor things. however, currently I'm only able to toggle my melee channel when previously i could 'hold' to melee channel. that option is no longer available for some reason and its a big hit to the quality of life to my Excalibur game play. It's very annoying having to press the channel button twice in order for me to heal off of life strike and in a lot of cases i've wasted more than the usual amount of energy because I am forced to toggle when i want to heal.

I hope this wasn't intended and that you guys eventually bring back the option to 'hold for melee channel', as i dont see how the option to hold for melee channel affects any of the newly implemented melee features.

I detest auto block with a passion as I already didn't like blocking because it looks ridiculous, if I'm in the air with a melee weapon it now FORCES me to glide if I am shot which is ridiculous, I can't block to glide when I WANT to and instead have to go back to a firearm, it's completely gotten rid of quick melee, it put melee channel on a horrid place on controller, I just can't stand it. Warframe is so much about looks to me and a plethora of other People I imagine and now I can't even feel like I look cool running around with a melee weapon because my Frame swings their arms around like crazy and it looks silly to me and ruins the way I like to play the game. Please for the love of god let us go back to the old way if we want to, or at least toggle auto block and maybe turn on manual because I am legitimately not wanting to play this Game anymore because of this. Everything else looks and feels good, it will take a bit to get used to but I do like that I can switch so fast and it makes me feel more powerful and so on, but I can't stand the auto block.

Edited by LEANBOX_9V
Was a bit rude so I am hoping this is more constructive and not me just complaining

Kind of digging the feel of melee now, I have shoot bound to LMB, Melee to RMB, Aim to thumb mouse button, which works out for my block combos without too much awkwardness.
Aim set to toggle, secondary fire/ channelling set to caps lock-

From my quick simulacrum visit, I noticed the auto blocking on all melee weapons was broken, noticed it when I wanted to try out the Vaykor Sydon feature, no block at all even while looking right at a heavy gunner loading bullets into me.

I am liking the new flow between gun and blade, but there's a few control issues I have, especially as a controller player.

Inability to melee-glide: As mentioned above, so I won't go into this too much. However it's especially relevant if your equipped is a Sniper Rifle or other weapon with high zoom; you don't want that huge zoom messing with your ability to see things.

Melee Channel rebinding follows old restrictions: ie, can only be manually rebound to Gun-Fire, Gun-Aim and Quick-melee buttons.

Inability to hold-channel melee: Frankly, I prefer holding the key to channel. As a toggle, I'm prone to forgetting I have it on, and suddenly I'm out of energy.

I'd like to suggest the following changes to the control scheme:

Melee-channel and Gun-aim override each other when bound to same key: Right now if you bind those two to the same key. holding that key appears to initiate the Aim, but then quickly switch to melee and initiate chanelling. This means the keys cannot be bound together.

So the change I suggest is allow Melee-channel and Gun-aim to be bound together, but holding down that button only activates the corresponding function according to the current mode of melee/gun.

Restore Melee-Channel key hold: This lets it stay on the triggers as they were before. The above suggestion will prevent them conflicting, and allows a controller player to easily toggle channeling on and off during melee.

Merge blocking into the melee-channel key: This lets us retain manual blocking, and restores melee-gliding. Flavour it as channeling the void to deflect bullets, like how Jedi channel the force to deflect blaster shots.

Context/Reload key can reload guns while in melee mode: Whether this should put the player in gun mode could be left to player choice, but I'd suggest leaving them in gun mode since reloading is a gun action.

------------------------------------

On a separate note, as mentioned in another thread, Melee 3.0 appears to break Valkyr's Hysteria. The moment she switches to gun mode, Hysteria's invulnerability is disabled. The energy drain I'm okay with, but Hysteria really needs to keep the player invulnerable while activated. I suspect this is a balancing issue, in which case the fix would be to allow the energy drain to continue ramping up while in gun mode. Additionally, the damage-prevented counter for Hysteria appears to be non-functional - no damage is taken when de-activating with enemies in the radius.

Edited by Proto034
added "Reload while in melee"
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Wolfglaive said:

Controller keybindings are presently very messed up. It isn't possible to rebind channel to alt-fire (it still is locked to Aim/Fire/Quick Melee). In addition to this, the LT/L2 button is experiencing a bug similar to one which was present a while back that prevented channeling. Instead of preventing channeling, it now prevents aiming.

This is the issue I'm having as well. With the bindings as they are, I cannot aim any of my weapons because it only toggles channeling on or off. Melee channeling can only be rebinded to buttons that have bindings for "aim weapon, fire weapon, or quick melee," so the game tells me. Setting it to the same button as aim weapon prevents me from aiming (and gliding), setting it to the button for fire weapon prevents me from firing, and as much as I'm looking through the bindings, there is no "quick melee" binding that I can select. Regardless though, It come across as slightly unnecessary to restrict channel weapon to those three buttons, I'd generally expect that we'd be allowed to bind it to whichever button we'd like, seeing as every other binding I've adjusted allowed me to do so. Preferably, I'd like to be able to bind it to whatever button I choose. As an alternative, I'd like to be able to bind it to the "Secondary Fire" button for when I'm in melee mode but, it won't allow me. If those aren't possible, allow me to simply unbind "melee channel" entirely, I essentially never use it as it is.

For what it's worth, this is for using a controller on the PC. (Sacrilege, I know.)

Edited by Valegon
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, pauli133 said:

Edit: So, i've thought about it a bit, and I think my fundamental issue is an aversion to anything that interrupts my controlled forward motion - such things make me frustrated on good days, and motion sick on bad ones. I'm here to be a Space Ninja, after all, and that's about moving and killing. I can get back to doing this with the new system if I can get one thing: a stance that has a primary combo that does not have movement-interrupting footwork. If I can just keep moving forward at full tilt while laying about me with a melee weapon, I won't quibble about whether it's a combo, a weapon in hand, quick melee, whatever.

Right now, though, I still feel like someone has pulled one of the spark plugs out of my car's engine - I hit the gas, and get nothing but hesitation.

1 hour ago, KaronaFalseGod said:

I posted in the Buried Debts thread because they mentioned melee feedback in the OP there as well. But I posted the same thing as you. I'm bummed that the Polearm quick-melee/stanceless animation is replaced with one that locks up your movement. They redid the Staves stanceless animation as well, but the new Staves animation still lets you run around freely. Essentially, some animations are "from the torso up" like Staves, Nunchucks, one-hand Sword, while others like Dagger and Great Sword (and now Polearm) lock your legs into animations. It has always been inconsistent. It would make sense if only really heavy weapons like Hammer and Great Sword locked your mobility, but it applies to "nimble" weapons like Daggers and has now ruined my favorite melee weapon.

I bought a 1000p Plague Krippath Riven 4 months ago and have been counting the days for the next Plague Star event, but it was all for nothing if I'm stuck tripping myself up in Arbitrations with this obnoxious animation, when I need to carve a quick path to a drone.

The only current workaround I can think of would be to program a macro that will slow down the speed of your polearm swings enough that you cause the animation loop to start over, instead of proceeding into the "stationary pokes" segment. DE has said before that attack macros are OK for people with RSI (just got my wrist brace fitted today as a matter of fact!)

I was hoping more people would realize this when the changes went live. I already made a thread about the possibility of this when the changes were announced here, I'd appreciate you contributing to the discussion in it. A dedicated thread with a lot of views and replies is probably the best way to get their attention.

Basically it is exactly as we feared. Please bring back a way to do combo-less attacks. Either an option or a separate keybind would be nice. Thank you. 

Edited by Apav
  • Like 4

It's too early for me to have a solid opinion about most of the melee rework so far.  At this early stage I will suggest making some kind of more obvious audio/visual feedback about your exalted weapon still being active when you swap out to a gun.  I've burned through all my energy a couple of times by not realizing it was still going.

In terms of visual effects... was it really necessary to make radiation hot pink?  I get that it's a common joke to put all your colors to variously garish shades of pink but it's pretty unpleasant to look at, at least in my opinion.

Even after just a couple missions, I quite like the new smooth feel of switching between gun and melee. Being able to use full combos and charge attacks whenever I want is awesome. Though I keep forgetting I can now.

I have found a few issues already, though: Several melee combos need their inputs redone for the new system, specifically ones that use block. Elemental graphics sometimes don't turn off, even if the option is turned off in the menu. The new graphics on certain weapons create constant screen flashing as you swing if you use a bright energy color, which is uncomfortable for me, and I can't imagine it would be any fun for someone with epilepsy. Maybe add high and low options for the melee trails and hit effects and such. And having to be aim gliding to use Exodia Contagion is way too many button presses. It was already hard enough to time it properly and not blow yourself up, but having to hit crouch and space, or double tap space, then hold aim, and finally hit melee is super awkward. Especially since aim gliding switches to your gun now, so you have to switch away from your melee to use a melee attack.

Edit: Here is a screenshot showing the elemental effects on Garuda's talons, which I don't even have equipped, since I am using the Glaive Prime, and I have the effects turned off in the menu as well. Also, when dual wielding glaives and kitguns, there are crazy permanent particle effects on the kitgun, making it very hard to see past it when aiming.

Gm18b5p.jpg

Also, you can now do slam attacks while dual wielding! Yay! But, the charge time on the throw is so fast it is nearly impossible to get the timing right anymore. Boo...

Edited by Teljaxx

23 minutes ago, Teljaxx said:

Even after just a couple missions, I quite like the new smooth feel of switching between gun and melee. Being able to use full combos and charge attacks whenever I want is awesome. Though I keep for getting I can now.

I have found a few issues already, though: Several melee combos need their inputs redone for the new system, specifically ones that use block. Elemental graphics sometimes don't turn off, even if the option is turned off in the menu. The new graphics on certain weapons create constant screen flashing as you swing if you use a bright energy color, which is uncomfortable for me, and I can't imagine it would be any fun for someone with epilepsy. Maybe add high and low options for the melee trails and hit effects and such. And having to be aim gliding to use Exodia Contagion is way too many button presses. It was already hard enough to time it properly and not blow yourself up, but having to hit crouch and space, or double tap space, then hold aim, and finally hit melee is super awkward. Especially since aim gliding switches to your gun now, so you have to switch away from your melee to use a melee attack.

They actually don't need to be redone. They still work using the Shift key.