The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Melee: Please don't take away our ability to manually "block" with melee.

Golmihr

It's an important feature in executing combos when things go fast. At least for me. Now when I slide into a group of enemies with high attack speed and need to do a combo with right mouse-click I often end up standing there in the middle of the group aiming instead.

Just leave the option in to still have melee out permanently so that right-clicking doesn't go into gun-aim mode. Please, DE.

Edited by Golmihr
  • Like 9

Plus you can't aim glide with your melee weapon anymore, blocking as you fly in. Also, I hate the zoom in while aim gliding with a gun.

Found that out when I dropped the mobile defense objective into a pit, gliding over it.

Edited by Methule
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Marvelous_A said:

How to execute the block combo now? 

Block is automatic now. but only if your character got a melee weapon out. So you need to swing in the air now for that to happen.

We really need to be able to just have melee out permanently IMO

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Methule said:

Plus you can't aim glide with your melee weapon anymore, blocking as you fly in. Also, I hate the zoom in while aim gliding with a gun.

Now I'm really disliking the new melee.

Edited by Golmihr
  • Like 6

6 minutes ago, Marvelous_A said:

Functional wise it's the same. 

No.

Old had a quick melee system that allowed you to keep running while swinging some weapon types like polearms.

If you want to move with aim glide and have your melee out now you got to do a melee attack at the end each time which can be a slow action.

Channeling takes you from 150 to 0 in a few seconds for barely any effect now because of auto blocking so good luck with the channeling mods.

No melee aimglide which was superior.

Clunky combo system when you need to right-click.

etc.

Edited by Golmihr
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, Marvelous_A said:

How to execute the block combo now? 

You aim and melee simultaneously... then when you end the combo it will switch you back to gun and you have to go back to melee mode again to do more melee.

"fluid" 😞

• Like 3

Most of these changes I do like, being one of the 3 people that use channeling builds I love the fact I can have channeling on forever after I press my channeling key (which was my swap to melee key previously), and on builds where I mostly melee I auto block all shots, that is awesome...

But yes... Not being able to bullet glide with Melee is a problem however... I think the remedy is for bullet glide to use whatever weapon you have out when you start the glide (press left mouse) If your gun is out when you start gliding you aim down iron sights, if you had a melee out, you just block the entire glide.

37 minutes ago, Golmihr said:

Block is automatic now. but only if your character got a melee weapon out. So you need to swing in the air now for that to happen.

We really need to be able to just have melee out permanently IMO

What do you mean it’s automatic, it’s like having an auto parry mod on all the time, forcing you to stop attacking so your character can CC themselves?

I am another one of those people who

- MOSTLY play with a melee weapon and

- have the melee attack keybound to the left mouse button

The problem for me with the new system is I either have to melee via the keyboard (sorry, that doesn't work for me)

or I continue to melee with the mouse, and now my primary FIRE key for primary and 2ndary weapons has to be bound to the keyboard. 

So, yeah, I guess until something changes, I am going to bind my weapon fire to they keyboard, and keep meleeing with the mouse...

NOT THE BEST SOLUTION IMHO 😞

tonyb010ny

Edited by tonyb010ny
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Carnage2K4 said:

Most of these changes I do like, being one of the 3 people that use channeling builds I love the fact I can have channeling on forever after I press my channeling key (which was my swap to melee key previously), and on builds where I mostly melee I auto block all shots, that is awesome...

But yes... Not being able to bullet glide with Melee is a problem however... I think the remedy is for bullet glide to use whatever weapon you have out when you start the glide (press left mouse) If your gun is out when you start gliding you aim down iron sights, if you had a melee out, you just block the entire glide.

I tested blocking against a heavy gunner with Inaros and a rage build. He started at 150 energy but quickly went to zero, losing 10 energy per shot of something near that.

I can see why auto channeling is nice but even as a channeler I would think you would still want blocking to be manually for that reason so it doesn't waste your energy, no? Or have it as a toggle.

6 minutes ago, (PS4)Mono-Pop said:

What do you mean it’s automatic, it’s like having an auto parry mod on all the time, forcing you to stop attacking so your character can CC themselves?

No. Only when your melee weapon is out. That only happens when your last attack was a melee attack. (Aiming then puts it away again.)

Edited by Golmihr

15 minutes ago, Golmihr said:

I tested blocking against a heavy gunner with Inaros and a rage build. He started at 150 energy but quickly went to zero, losing 10 energy per shot of something near that.

I can see why auto channeling is nice but even as a channeler I would think you would still want blocking to be manually for that reason so it doesn't waste your energy, no? Or have it as a toggle.

Well, I've been testing on my Nekros, so I have basically unlimited energy, but it is a toggle, so it is an option to just turn it off when I need to, no doubt it's not perfect, but after being really worried about the future of channeling, I feel this is a step forward overall.
Funnily enough, I was having issues with my Nekros NOT draining enough energy (first world Equilibrium Nekros Issues), so more energy drain is welcome.

16 minutes ago, tonyb010ny said:
  •  
  •  I am another one of those people who

- MOSTLY play with a melee weapon and

- have the melee attack keybound to the left mouse button

The problem for me with the new system is I either have to melee via the keyboard (sorry, that doesn't work for me)

or I continue to melee with the mouse, and now my primary FIRE key for primary and 2ndary weapons has to be bound to the keyboard. 

So, yeah, I guess until something changes, I am going to bind my weapon fire to they keyboard, and keep meleeing with the mouse...

NOT THE BEST SOLUTION IMHO 😞

tonyb010ny

Bro... please... format your post...
I can see how this can be irritating, I use the forward thumb (Target Icon) button on my G502 mouse, pain to have a get a new peripheral but it's another option.

Edited by Carnage2K4

Yeah, already I'm not really liking the changes. It's just... clunky. Quick Melee being Actual Melee and being able to do combos? Neat! being forced back to gun mode when I'm just trying to use one of my movement abilities? Not cool. At all. We straight up can't block while gliding anymore, combos that used to involve blocking are clunk as hell, and it just... doesn't work for me.

Oh, and as a person who bound his melee button to M1, the current toggle to use M1 for melee is... awkward. It's appreciated that you considered us, but it's still clunky.

I don't like RMB automatically going into a gun aim if I'm trying to do Actual Melee Stuff. When Melee 2.0 was deployed, it was said that in being able to PROPERLY equip our melees, they were being given the attention and focus they deserved, the proper third of our arsenal. And now they're back to 1.0, where they're just a thing to be used and then put away again after.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, DeltaPangaea said:

Yeah, already I'm not really liking the changes. It's just... clunky. Quick Melee being Actual Melee and being able to do combos? Neat! being forced back to gun mode when I'm just trying to use one of my movement abilities? Not cool. At all. We straight up can't block while gliding anymore, combos that used to involve blocking are clunk as hell, and it just... doesn't work for me.

Oh, and as a person who bound his melee button to M1, the current toggle to use M1 for melee is... awkward. It's appreciated that you considered us, but it's still clunky.

I don't like RMB automatically going into a gun aim if I'm trying to do Actual Melee Stuff. When Melee 2.0 was deployed, it was said that in being able to PROPERLY equip our melees, they were being given the attention and focus they deserved, the proper third of our arsenal. And now they're back to 1.0, where they're just a thing to be used and then put away again after.

Yep. This melee rework, imo, is Melee 1.5. It's quick melee with combos. I don't know about how controls work on controller, but for PC, there was no reason to get rid of melee block or melee aim glide. We have enough keys to bind melee block separately from gun aim. I'd love for Steve to give us the option to have manual melee block (and, with it, melee aim glide).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DeltaPangaea said:

Maybe it's the difference in how we play, as I don't find it clunky at all, quite the opposite...
What about a a key to toggle fixed melee instead of M1? Toggle on and you are fixed into melee until you use a normal switch weapon bind or toggle back... I guess that is just like the old switch to melee key...

I don't see why that can't be an option.

Edited by Carnage2K4

Just now, Carnage2K4 said:

Maybe it's the difference in how we play, as I don't find it clunky at all, quite the opposite...
What about a a key to toggle fixed melee instead of M1? Toggle on and you are fixed into melee until you use a normal switch weapon bind or toggle back... I guess that is just a switch to melee key...

Yes. It's what we HAD. That this update removed for no reason. Oh yeah and also switching to melee NECESSITATES you doing a melee attack now. We now have a passive benefit to having your melee equipped in the form of autoblocking, and to do it ahead of time we need to melee. We can't just 'Equip' melee like before.

I am not a fan in the slightest.

I do agree that not being able to block while gliding sucks and I feel like the aim-glide zoom should either go away or be reduced.

As for channeling eating all your energy because of auto-block, why don't you turn off channeling when you don't need it? Personally when I heard they're moving channeling and making it a toggle I just went ahead and rebound it on my own and turned it to a toggle so I get used to it before the update drops. Guess what? I got used to it and it feels no different from before.

Also, doing a melee attack is still way faster than the old weapon swap speed so your issue with having to melee before we can block is invalid.

Edited by TheRealShade

I just changed my melee attack to left mouse (again), my weapon fire to E *AND*  I unequipped all of my range weapons.  Brings me back to the old way.  AND totally defeats the purpose of what DE was doing.  I can never shoot now.  The really need to just lock melee like before for primary melee fighting.

9 minutes ago, TheRealShade said:

I do agree that not being able to block while gliding sucks and I feel like the aim-glide zoom should either go away or be reduced.

As for channeling eating all your energy because of auto-block, why don't you turn off channeling when you don't need it? Personally when I heard they're moving channeling and making it a toggle I just went ahead and rebound it on my own and turned it to a toggle so I get used to it before the update drops. Guess what? I got used to it and it feels no different from before.

Also, doing a melee attack is still way faster than the old weapon swap speed so your issue with having to melee before we can block is invalid.

As for channeling eating all your energy because of auto-block, why don't you turn off channeling when you don't need it?

I don't use channeling mods myself but I imagine that for a melee character who rely on performing channeling attacks to trigger effects it's a problem if most of their energy get spend on blocking harmless shots.

Edited by Golmihr

2 minutes ago, Golmihr said:

I don't use channeling mods myself but I imagine that for a melee character that rely performing attacks while channeling to trigger effects it's a problem if most of their energy get spend on blocking harmless shots.

That's only a temporary issue tho since channeling is getting reworked into a different system with the following melee updates. Remember this is just melee 2.9, 3.0 will be the full release that is built to work better with these changes.