Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Controller Issues: 24.4.2: Megathread

[DE]Rebecca

Controller: Wired DualShock 4 through Big Picture (so no DS4windows)

Issue: I was one of the people who couldn't login to the game before the hotfix. After the latest update I was able to login normally but now I'm experiencing the same issues other users have posted on this thread. Specifically the one where I can only use the quick melee to switch from my ranged weapons and nothing else (so no combos nor any other melee attacks besides the quick switch)

I have tried the more simple fixes like Steam and Windows restart and resetting the game's configuration to default but none have worked. And I personally don't feel like trying to go through more hoops than those just to get this game to work so I haven't tried the more "complicated" fixes the users have posted in this thread. :clem:

• Like 1

Controller: Wired Dualshock 4 (no DS4Windows)

Launching through Steam

I have the same problem a lot of people with DS4s have reported, the quick melee button switches to melee mode after which it no longer works and no ranged weapons can be used without manually toggling back to ranged with the triangle button. Fist weapons are also shown attached to my frame's fists even when using ranged weapons.

• Like 2

Ps4 controller running through steam (Not big picture mode)  Win 10. Not using DS4.

Both usb and wireless connections, same issue.

Circle draws and swings the spear once, then ceases functionality. Cannot use Gun trigger to swap out. Must hit triangle to manually, SLOOOOoooooowly swap weapons while getting my keester shot to bits.

Turning controller on after game has started results in the game not recognizing the controller save for the analog sticks as cursor controls. Starting game with the controller attached through USB or bluetooth allows all controls other than Melee. 

Rebooting  the game, steam , or PC is ineffective. 

SIde note-  would love to bind Operator mode to the giant touchpad button on the controller.

Side note 2- Since introduction of the gear wheel, using R1 to switch to the Emote wheel has been non-functional.  My arms don't work so well, kind of hard to grab the mouse at speed when I want to be playful. 

Edited by OtosanOokami
  • Like 1

Steam, settings, controller, general controller settings, Playstation enabled. Right click Warframe, Edit steam controller configuration.

I use PS3 controller with steam control support, steam overlay on, big picture off.

Edit: unsure if it is needed to have PlayStation Now or remote play installed for the controller software drivers, if it does, there isn't any need to run them after it is installed.

1. Melee problem: Severe trouble trying to use melee. "Quick melee" works, until a single melee attack switches to melee. Broken controls while the melee weapon is being used. "Melee attack" does nothing, "Melee Block" does nothing.

2. Menu L2 problem: Open chat conflict when trying to decrement. while in purchase menu, and in Dojo research amount of materials.

3. Gear wheel switch to emotes with Menu Action 1/2/3/4/5 does not work. Only works with keyboard, or when steam control settings for "Menu" is set to Legacy keys, controller buttons like right bumper / R1.

4. Dojo or Maroo's Bazaar "Set up shop". When hand is raised, can't move and the only button on controller that do respond is opening the menu. Short of having to use keyboard buttons to close shop, or return to orbiter.

My workaround: in Steam control configuration, I use legacy control buttons. Both "game" and "Melee mode" tab need to have the same legacy control settings. If not, I had ran into stuck actions like constantly firing weapon after all buttons released.

I eventually just assigned them to legacy analog trigger, "RS Stick", "A button" B. X, Y to some buttons so it uses the in-game controller mapping which works. And for menus, joystick move (left/right joystick).

Edited by sam686
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OtosanOokami said:

Ps4 controller running through steam (Not big picture mode)  Win 10. Not using DS4.

Circle draws and swings the spear once, then ceases functionality. Cannot use Gun trigger to swap out. Must hit triangle to manually, SLOOOOoooooowly swap weapons while getting my keester shot to bits.

Turning controller on after game has started results in the game not recognizing the controller save for the analog sticks as cursor controls. Starting game with the controller attached through USB or bluetooth allows all controls other than Melee. 

SIde note-  would love to bind Operator mode to the giant touchpad button on the controller.

Side note 2- Since introduction of the gear wheel, using R1 to switch to the Emote wheel has been non-functional.  My arms don't work so well, kind of hard to grab the mouse at speed when I want to be playful. 

exactly the same problem U.u

• Like 2

Using DualShock 4 controller. Launching via Steam.

If Steam Input is set to "Forced Off", as suggested by other posts in this thread, Warframe doesn't recognize the controller at all.

With Steam Input on, the right stick is read as mouse input, despite being configured as "Look" in Steam, making it hyper-sensitive and unable to scroll on menus. Triggers are also hyper-sensitive, constantly dropping out of ADS and autofire unless release threshold is turned down to single digits.

I noticed that the Steam Input bindings for the game have not been updated in forever, they still only list 8 gear hotkeys, and certainly don't conform to the new modeless melee system. This may be part of the problem.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, IcyJalapeno said:

Warframe - Steam: Xbox 1 Controller: Can't Melee Attack Besides Quick Melee. After Quick Melee nothing works. 

^^ this is the most important one but also

RB doesnt work to access the emotes on the gear selection wheel

select doesn't work to bring up the map

im sure i'll find more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ModernGreg said:

Pc, using both XBOX wired controller and PS4 wireless controller, I press B (or circle) and I will swap to my melee weapon but after that I can press B/Circle as much as I want but it doesn't do anything.

Exactly this. I've restarted my computer and steam and warframe multiple times. Launching from steam. Melee 2.9 turned into basically we removed melee from the game.

Edited by devox15
  • Like 2

I am unsure if my specific issue is appropriate for this specific topic, but it's controller-related? I play on PC with a Wooting analog mechanical keyboard (it allows for XInput or DirectInput to support a joystick like function along the depression range) which functions completely normally; however, I tend to leave a controller(DualShock 4) plugged in for convenience purposes and leaving this device plugged in when Warframe is launched locks the game into controller-only support, if you will. I'm only able to make menu confirmations through the controller itself, I can't click to confirm, nor press "enter" to confirm selections in menus. I can type, and the mouselook works, but no menu navigation functions as it used to.

4 hours ago, OtosanOokami said:

those are exactly my problems too. R1 doesn't work for emote wheel. And the controller doesn't work on frame fighter, except when in the menu.

• Like 1

Hardware: Logitech F710 wireless controller in X input, Windows 10.

Problem: The controller is detected and works in Windows 10 when looking at the controller properties.  I load up the game and the game switches to gamepad mode when I use the pad but there are no other responses.  I know it switches because the chat interface switches between "T" for chat and "L2" for chat after clicking something on the gamepad.  Controller Icon Set is on PS4 like it was before patch and I reset the Controller buttons to default after it stopped working which did nothing.

On a side note, the controller was working on the release day with the exception of the trigger but then quit working altogether the next day.

Ha, ran the stupid logitech program in D-mode . . . switched to x-mode after and seems to work fine in game now.  Logitech gamepads are terrible . . . 😞

Edited by Torothin
Fixed the issue

13 hours ago, RelytX2 said:

I CAN NOT PLAY WARFRAME WITH A PS4 CONTROLLER ANYMORE. 

I usually just launch the game through the desktop launcher and I've disabled the stupid steam controller keyboard thing so i can at least use the keyboard to type and use the mouse when i need it. I play Warframe on  Windows PC with a standard PS4 controller. 

But now, thanks to the smart and definitely bug tested idea that was the new melee update, I can no logner play warframe properly like i used to. 

Everything else works fine, but for some reason when i press O to melee and enter "melee mode" i can not continue to melee. Instead no matter how many times I press O nothing happens, at all.  

Wtf happened? Why is this Happening? Is a fix coming? Is there a fix now? 

Should i just stop playing Warframe until this issue is resolved? I think i will, but i'm not happy about it. Please fix this. 

Re-posting because this is still an issue today and i see others posting more about it. How has this not been fixed yet? 

This really proves that they do not care about the controller users in their player base. We put up with a lot of their crap, but removing melee entirely for us crosses the line. This was not ready for release and they didn't bother to test it.    

(For those critical of the struggling controller users: Most people who use a controller seem to do so because the game's movement mechanics flow better with a controller and MELEE COMBAT IS MORE FUN with one then on mouse and keyboard (an opinion i know). Warframe is a game where you can get everything done with Ninja movements, a. awesome shotgun, and a big sword, and that's how we like to play, removing the need for the precise aiming of a mouse. I've played the game since it first had controller support, and it sucks that i have to stop now.) 

It still works for keyboard and mouse. The implementation is only partially done and this is part of it. I can understand complaining but DE isn't trying to take your game away.

Anywhoose, I noticed that when I use melee attack with my steam controller, my weapon glows (?) and a big orb appears before my melee attack strike and the combo doesn't progress unless I'm using either melee block or channeling and some combination of direction.

I've tested it without the controller (keyboard & mouse) and there is no flaw in functionality that I can determine.

45 minutes ago, RelytX2 said:

Re-posting because this is still an issue today and i see others posting more about it. How has this not been fixed yet? 

This really proves that they do not care about the controller users in their player base. We put up with a lot of their crap, but removing melee entirely for us crosses the line. This was not ready for release and they didn't bother to test it.    

(For those critical of the struggling controller users: Most people who use a controller seem to do so because the game's movement mechanics flow better with a controller and MELEE COMBAT IS MORE FUN with one then on mouse and keyboard (an opinion i know). Warframe is a game where you can get everything done with Ninja movements, a. awesome shotgun, and a big sword, and that's how we like to play, removing the need for the precise aiming of a mouse. I've played the game since it first had controller support, and it sucks that i have to stop now.) 

Pretty sure the fact that this thread exists and that they're trying to get information about hardware and the problems associated means that they do care about controller support. But, carry on being pointlessly inflammatory, I'm sure DE really appreciates your denigration of their hard work to help you feel better about complaining about their game.

Was able to get things to work after reading this forum. Restoring controller defaults and restarting the PC did fix the major problems a lot of people are saying here.

Only other issue I ran into afterwards was that the melee combos using block (RT) doesn't work. Another user here said it is now bound to Left Trigger and I can confirm that it does work using Left Trigger instead. Perhaps needs to be fixed??

Also was able to bind Melee Channeling to Alt Firing on my D-pad and its working great for me. Melee Channeling/Alt Fire as a Toggle for both works great together. Hope no updates ahead ruin this.