Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Controller Issues: 24.4.2: Megathread

[DE]Rebecca

Still no hot fix solving a lot of these problems, maybe because they're not working on weekends much, sort of understandable. However, this is why you TEST all aspects of a change before you release it! 

(Side Note: They should extend the event window so that people who play the game with a controller can actually play and enjoy the event.)  

Suggestion: DE, if you're actually reading this, when you guys go back to work Monday, if you can't resolve the problem now then just release a hotfix that gives us the option to revert back to the old system so we can continue playing without having to use Keyboard and Mouse. It's shouldn't be hard, you already have the files to do so. Just spend an hour making an option in the menu to do this and upload it. Then you'll be able to take your time actually fixing and testing the problems with the new system before releasing a final (working) version. Thank you. I love your game, so i want to play it as i have for the last 5 years. 

Edited by RelytX2

Xbox One Controller

Win 10

Everything works, except when I press B and attack once. Nothing else happens. Channeling works great(who actually uses this feature?)
Restarted the game, restarted steam, restart computer, Plugged into controller then launcher WF, waited for launcher to finish "updating" then plugging in controller. Nothing works.

1 hour ago, RelytX2 said:

Suggestion: DE, if you're actually reading this, when you guys go back to work Monday, if you can't resolve the problem now then just release a hotfix that gives us the option to revert back to the old system so we can continue playing without having to use Keyboard and Mouse. It's shouldn't be hard, you already have the files to do so. Just spend an hour making an option in the menu to do this and upload it. Then you'll be able to take your time actually fixing and testing the problems with the new system before releasing a final (working) version. Thank you. I love your game, so i want to play it as i have for the last 5 years. 

Steam controller, Steam big picture - restarted game, steam, machine.  Reset keybindings to DE default setup. cannot output combos. quick melee (b) takes me into melee mode, but fails to make another strike with repeated keypresses.  LT (aim) aims in melee mode and allows an unreliable second strike, but no combos.  RT brings me back to ranged combat, immediately firing primary rather than continuing combo.   Available keybindings for steam controller set up do not reflect melee changes as there is no "melee" keybind, rather a "quick melee" which, from other threads I'm reading seems to be no longer an option in any case regardless of input methods.

9 hours ago, RelytX2 said:

Still no hot fix solving a lot of these problems, maybe because they're not working on weekends much, sort of understandable. However, this is why you TEST all aspects of a change before you release it! 

(Side Note: They should extend the event window so that people who play the game with a controller can actually play and enjoy the event.)  

Hardware: Alienware Steambox, Windows 10, Xbox One Controller.

I tried reseting to default, restarting the computer, looking into the steam controller options but nothing works. Map doesnt work, you get one quick melee and then you have to switch to your gun and then do it again. If you channel first then when you do this the quick melee acts as if its always channeling but no energy is used.

Hardware: Lenovo W540, Steam Controller. 

Steam controller was working perfectly fine until new update. Once I melee once it stops working and cant do anything else until I switch back to primary. Then once I melee again it does the same thing. I need my melee back. 

On 2019-03-08 at 6:53 PM, IcyJalapeno said:

Warframe - Steam: Xbox 1 Controller:

Can't Melee Attack Besides Quick Melee. After Quick Melee nothing works.  Edit: Hard Reset of Steam and Windows Fix that issue for me.

New Issues:

• Switching Primary / Secondary Weapons Doesn't Work Unless I Quick Melee In between to Swap : (Y) Button Default
  • When Cycling Between Abilities - They're out of order. I believe it was 1,3,5,2,4 : (Left & Right D-Pad) Default

Edit: Can't Melee Attack Besides Quick Melee. After Quick Melee nothing works. It Broken yet again....

Hardware: Windows 10, Xbox One controller with cable, launching through steam, default controller settings in steam, proper xbox one controller drivers installed.

Also having this issue. I've tried resetting all controls/keybindings/settings to default but no luck. Pressing B executes a single melee attack then the warframe just holds the melee weapon and the only buttons that do anything are left trigger which does melee channel and the Y button which swaps back to a primary or secondary weapon

If you are using a ps4 controller and are having the issue where you can only melee once and you cant switch out of melee mode this worked for me. Right click on warframe in your game library and select "edit steam controller config." then rebind some controls according to this YT video(

). My melee works fine now. I'm not sure if it will work for everyone but it worked for me.

Edit: Not my OC found this when getting annoyed about not being able to use melee. 

didnt see @ESYLD posted that 30min ago srry and @Ghostcart posted it yesterday. Facepalm, im bad at this thing srry.

Edited by SacredDragonz
adding info

PS4 Controller melee with RT. Not sure how I finally got this but here's what I did.

(I use Steam but without Big Picture Mode)

In Steam I found Offficial Config for Warframe (Not the one by DE Jim). I also believe it said this config was for steam controllers? Why I didn't try it before.

In Warframe I have the PS4 selected in their options. (had been set to default many times)

Everything on my controller works like it's supposed to except you still draw the Melee weapon with "O" and attack is "RT", channel is "RS", pulling "LT" will transition you from melee to firing your weapon. It's a beautiful thing having Melee again.

If this doesn't work, I'll look at more setting I have. I tried changing some around after the RT started to work and nothing changed it. Good luck, hope this works for you.

Can you just remove all annoying keybind restrictions on controllers ?

My main issue with Warframe's Controls on both PC and Consoles for years have always been tied to the fact that I can't rebind the keys where I want to put them. Let us users decide where and how we place our inputs without constantly getting annoying "cannot rebind here, can't be put on touchpad, must have channeling on a melee attack, etc".

Also, instead of doing a "validation" everytime a user tries to move a button, do a validation when the full setup is done... Because right now , just trying to move buttons is often impossible, even if i just want to temporarily move a feature somewhere else for a few seconds while I rebind something else.

That way us users actually have time to bind all our keys as we see fit, then when it comes time to "save", if we're missing let's say a key component, notify us that it's missing. Don't block us from saving the preset though... Just notify us "Warning, you did not bind a melee attack"... And if the user is fine with this, let him use said setup. No use babysitting us if we want to make setups that don't correspond to the norm.

Edited by (PS4)Stealth_Cobra
  • Like 1

Using Xbox 360 Wired Controller

Problem with button configuration ==> the game doesn't memorise my configuration at all !! Hard reset and re-installing not solved .

Also it is impossible to configure action from archwing mod separately from normal mod

PS4 wireless gamepad + Windows 10.

I use Steam's big picture to fully customise my gamepad, but after the melee update I can no longer attack with my melee button. I switch over to melee after a small initial combo, but then the button does nothing. I know I can legacy edit a keyboard bind into it, but still.

A larger issue that I've always had is not being able to edit my PS4's touchpad in the game settings, and the limitation on editing the controller makes it difficult to find a practical playstyle.

I've used DS4 in the past, but it's still limited compared to big picture. Full integration of the PS4 controller into the game would be the best outcome though, without the need for different software to customise it. It would be amazing to see that some day.

I hope you manage to get around to these issues some point soon. All the best 🙂

I am having the melee issue on controller as well. I'm also playing through Steam on Windows 10, and am using a third party wired Xbox One controller. Which is recognized as a generic Xbox One controller through Steam. Setting it to melee with fire button works, but that kinda defeats the whole purpose of 'fluid melee combat' doesn't it? The setting the B button to legacy E key seems to work though.

Also another minor nitpick: ever since the UI update forever ago, the ability to swap to emotes on the gear/consumables menu has been broken for me. The visual for the broken button has been fixed, but actually pressing the button still doesn't work to swap to the emotes menu. But as I said, a minor nitpick to just remove my hand from the controller and right click my mouse whenever I want to emote.

19 hours ago, notNSANE said:

You can map Legacy RB to solve this temporarily.

Just tried it and it didn't work unfortunately. If I had to guess I'd say the controller input itself is probably still broken for me. What'd probably work would be if I put Legacy Right Mouse on the Left Trigger, but I get the feeling that'd cause my UI to wig out a bit so I'd rather not at the moment. If there were an option to manually set Gear Menu Swap to a button that would be nice; but as far as I can tell there currently is none.

Windows 10

Using Microsoft USB wireless controller dongle for Xbox One controller

Ryzen 1700

AMD Rx580

Controller only works on the login screen but stops functioning after login. Using the launcher through steam. 
Have to restart game twice for it to work. Sometimes it doesn't. 

I'm using a steam controller and I can't melee.

I can take out my melee weapon but after that I can't do anything else with it, to attack again I have to put it up then take it out.

I have tried to remap buttons and reset to default but nothing seems to work yet. It's hard to play without a melee button.😓

Could not use alt fire to throw the canisters at the Exploiter Orb on my wireless Xbox One controller. If I swapped to keyboard and mouse, I could do it.

I have alt fire bound to down on the d-pad while melee channel is permabound to B. Personally, I feel permabinding that function is a band aid at best. I know you guys are busy and the solution is probably complicated, but could a real solution be made available to us controller users soon? It’s difficult to swap to kb&m when the controller feels more natural. 

I have this problem with the PS4 controller on the Steam client. Rebooting did not help.

As a workaround, I changed the circle button to send the legacy input circle button, instead of quick melee, in the Steam controller settings for both the game and melee mode. Now I can do melee attacks, though channeling still doesn't work because there's no way to toggle 'melee mode' with a controller.

Also, there's no way to change sub abilities anymore; pressing and holding the button doesn't work. For example, on Khora I can't change Venari's battle stances, which makes her very fragile.

Does anybody have a similar problem with Ivara or other warframes? Any suggestions or am I stuck rebinding everything to legacy inputs or keyboard and mouse inputs?

Edited by cypherwyrm
clarifying controller button