Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Controller Issues: 24.4.2: Megathread

[DE]Rebecca

Using a PS4 Controller.  Cannot melee in game.  Nothing works.  Nothing fixes the issue.  I have not been able to play the game since the update. The game is literally unplayable for the majority of your playerbase, and from what I'm reading the people that CAN play dont like the changes anyway.  Just revert back and go back to the drawing board.  WE WANT TO PLAY THE GAME!

On 2019-03-09 at 10:46 PM, VigilD said:

- PS4 controller

- wired

- steam client

- Windows 10

When attempting to do any melee outside the initial attack, no melee commands work. Have tried setting the shoot buttom to work for melee (in the options menu),

- no change

Tried restarting Windows

- no change

Tried restarting Steam

- no change

Reset default controller bindings

- no change

Interesting note: new melee works properly when using Heavy Weapon (arch-gun) in missions

Also, while able to ascend using X for Hildryn's Aegis Storm, descending using the standard archwing descend button (L1) does not work. Currently unable to descend while using Aegis Storm.

Update to this. After rebinding my gamepad buttons to mimic keyboard keys, this fixed it, however after the last update, all my keybinds have gotten shifted around. My start button is R1, my left D-pad is X. L1 seems to be L2. I checked the big picture controller settings and everything is still set the way it was and mapped correctly. Not sure how the update borked gamepads even more.

Hey all,

I'm really sorry to hear about all these controller issues 😞 I've been investigating and noticed that two actions ("Melee Attack" and "Melee Block") were still bind-able through the Steam overlay, even though we were meant to drop support for them last week! Because of this, I think many players probably still had those actions bound ("Melee Attack" was bound to B/Circle by default, and "Melee Block" was bound to the Right Trigger by default), and this would have meant that pressing B/Circle once would take you into melee mode, but then pressing B/Circle again would do nothing! I also suspect that the Right Trigger would no longer work.

There was an additional issue where "Melee Channel" was previously default bound to Left Trigger, but got moved to the Right Thumbstick. However, unless you updated your controller layout to the newest default, you wouldn't have gotten that change, and so after using melee you would be unable to Aim (because it's also on the Left Trigger).

I'm still investigating what might have caused the other issues (where all of the buttons stopped working!), but for now I have re-published an updated "official" controller layout which removes those two old-style melee actions. I'm hoping this should at least help some of you.

Please bear with us while we continue trying to fix the remaining issues! Thank you!

• Like 1

Guys it seems with the new patch our controllers are now completely broken. Every key is remapped and the game is completely unplayable. Also emotes aren't working when using controller. I'm using ps4 controller on steam client and I also tried reinstalling the game with no solution. 

Why is Warframe's steam version still on partial controller support after it's even launched on consoles? Plz fix this.

Edited by KVD_1302
Needed to include additional info

Something changed between yesterday and today. I am no longer able to use XB1 controller (Steam PC). The controller is responsive and the game client recognizes it, the thumbsticks can navigate the menu, but the buttons don't work and I am unable to do anything in missions with it. This was fine yesterday. 

Win 10

RTX2060

i7 9700k

Installed on SSD

16GB RAM

2 minutes ago, Six67 said:

Something changed between yesterday and today. I am no longer able to use XB1 controller (Steam PC). The controller is responsive and the game client recognizes it, the thumbsticks can navigate the menu, but the buttons don't work and I am unable to do anything in missions with it. This was fine yesterday. 

Win 10

RTX2060

i7 9700k

Installed on SSD

16GB RAM

We all have the same issues with the controllers since the last patch

1 hour ago, KVD_1302 said:

Guys it seems with the new patch our controllers are now completely broken. Every key is remapped and the game is completely unplayable. Also emotes aren't working when using controller. I'm using ps4 controller on steam client and I also tried reinstalling the game with no solution. 

Why is Warframe's steam version still on partial controller support after it's even launched on consoles? Plz fix this.

This is the issue I'm having

Last hotfix of a few hours ago made log-in impossible with a controller plugged in. Typing in password works, but I can't actually hit the 'A for login' function - not by any controller buttons, not by mouse/keyboard, not by resetting any of the Steam overlay controls to default, or by changing them to specific values. (Win 10, Xbox One wireless controller, playing through Steam) Playing without the Steam overlay is not an option: the game refuses to recognise the controller without it. Can't find any other game that behaves like this, including Elder Scrolls Online, Skyrim, Wildlands, etc. Steam Overlay works normally in all supported games.  Have tried re-installing the game and controller drivers.

No other game breaks as often or as dramatically as Warframe, and I play Bethesda games. Warframe is utterly or partly unusable about one in every 15 times I try to load it up. I do not understand how this is still happening, years after these issues started popping up on the forum.

Will there be an extension of the double credit weekend for people whose game has been rendered unplayable by the constant controller issues?

Edit: Tried restarting Steam, PC, game client repeatedly. Tried playing with the controller physically wired in. Eventually, it just worked normally on attempt 25 or so. I have absolutely no idea what's going on. Whatever is happening remains unique to Warframe.

Edited by theslynx
  • Like 1

On 2019-03-10 at 2:39 PM, RickForce said:

Same here ! DE pls! I want to play again weapons with melle atack!

I solved the problem using xpadder and making my B work like an E. But with this update I can't play with controller, maybe I'll uninstall the game. Lot of problems in a very short time.

For those of you having issues on Steam, something to try.

1. Open Steam settings (usually a right click on the icon then select Settings)
  2. Go to Controller and click on General Controller Settings
  3. Disable any controller support you may have opted in for

I don't have any controller support enabled on my Xbox One controller and MOST buttons behave properly. Only issue I now have is throwing canisters at the Exploiter, but I haven't tried since the hotfix today.

Controllers are completely broken for the menus now since the latest hotfix.

I tested both my Swich Pro Controller and my XBox 360 Controller and both had the same buttons remapped anywhere. X was mapped to D-Pad up, Y to D-Pad down, D-Pad left went to B and so on. So yeah menus are a nightmare with controller rn, but luckily there's mouse and keyboard.

Ingame controls are fine btw, except that you have to map your melee attack button to the E key to actually attack.

15 hours ago, [DE]Jim said:

Hey all,

I'm really sorry to hear about all these controller issues 😞 I've been investigating and noticed that two actions ("Melee Attack" and "Melee Block") were still bind-able through the Steam overlay, even though we were meant to drop support for them last week! Because of this, I think many players probably still had those actions bound ("Melee Attack" was bound to B/Circle by default, and "Melee Block" was bound to the Right Trigger by default), and this would have meant that pressing B/Circle once would take you into melee mode, but then pressing B/Circle again would do nothing! I also suspect that the Right Trigger would no longer work.

There was an additional issue where "Melee Channel" was previously default bound to Left Trigger, but got moved to the Right Thumbstick. However, unless you updated your controller layout to the newest default, you wouldn't have gotten that change, and so after using melee you would be unable to Aim (because it's also on the Left Trigger).

I'm still investigating what might have caused the other issues (where all of the buttons stopped working!), but for now I have re-published an updated "official" controller layout which removes those two old-style melee actions. I'm hoping this should at least help some of you.

Please bear with us while we continue trying to fix the remaining issues! Thank you!

I tried applying the new controller config, restarted my computer, and things seem to be working for me, now! I can melee, channel, and swap sub-abilities. Thank you!

I have a terrible problem with my PS4 controller, I'm using Steam so I need to register controller on "Big picture" to make it work on Warframe.

Inside the game its literally unplayable like Left D-Pad is Confirm, Right D-Pad is Cancel/Escape, Square is Menu Down, Triangle is Menu Up and sensitivity option it doesn't matter what I put in it doesn't make any change. I put all settings on Default but still having same issue.

With Xbox One controller it works perfectly, just PS4 giving me issues, I know about controller modes tried everything I could already.

Edited by Lysosia

9 hours ago, Lysosia said:

I have a terrible problem with my PS4 controller, I'm using Steam so I need to register controller on "Big picture" to make it work on Warframe.

Inside the game its literally unplayable like Left D-Pad is Confirm, Right D-Pad is Cancel/Escape, Square is Menu Down, Triangle is Menu Up and sensitivity option it doesn't matter what I put in it doesn't make any change. I put all settings on Default but still having same issue.

With Xbox One controller it works perfectly, just PS4 giving me issues, I know about controller modes tried everything I could already.

Same goes for me, i use the ps4 controller and all the menu buttons are messed up. I can still play the game but menu navigation is a nightmare. Not sure why this is happening since it was working fine yesterday for me. 

Using the Phage this evening caused an "endless" vibration feedback to my wireless Xbox One controller. In the past, it would only vibrate while the trigger was being held. Tonight, it vibrates long after the trigger was released. It eventually stops, but takes some time. If I had to wager a guess, perhaps it is about 3 to 5 seconds long. Unsure if any other "beam" weapons do this, but I will test on my Ignis Wraith and see what happens.

EDIT: Used the Ignis and the mining tool. Neither caused the extended vibration issue that the Phage caused.

Edited by Kromatia

since end of january 2019 i have a problem with the zoom function on my switch controller. 
the function is set on Left Trigger [LT] (standard config). Same as open chat.

while i am able to open the chatbox via using the LT i am not able to zoom via LT. 
since i have this problem there is another issue:

while i try to login and type my password via controller i am not able to switch with Right Trigger [RT] to spezial characters or switch with LT to write in capital letters.

i am sorry that i can not tell the specific date but both happend to the same date.

i have tested it with a wired xbox controller  aswell. zoom function is given.

i have tested it with a wireless steam controller aswell. zoom function is given and switching while typing password is also working.

i am using a steam installation of warframe. other games work fine.

restarting anything do not work.

best regards

Controller:

Nintendo Switch Legend of Zelda Link GameCube Style Wired Fight Pad Pro Controller

by PDP

500-100-NA-D2

For anyone on Steam using a PS4 controller and experiencing the myriad of issues plaguing them right now, I'd like to boost attention to a fix that was given to me in the thread that first introduced Melee changes. While you can map Warframe's commands to buttons on your controller using the controller profile writer, you can also map keyboard and generic controller input buttons as well. You can do this by clicking on the button you want to map and then when changing the command either press Start on your controller or click on the "Legacy Commands" button at the bottom.

It's a total pain in the tail to rewrite all the broken inputs using this method but I've been able to cobble together a working model for my controller. For anyone still suffering the weird af menu problems where all the buttons do strange things, in the Menu tab for the profile writer just map every single button to the corresponding controller input in the legacy commands and things will work fine. This should also future-proof your menu inputs in future updates since everything is using Warframe's default input commands instead of calling commands through Steam. Unfortunately this will break your gear wheel so you also need to change your D-Pad Down input under the Game and Melee tabs to the Legacy D-Pad Down instead of Gear Wheel. This fixes it.

You can also do these fixes to Melee Mode and such to make your attacks work (binding whatever your melee attack button is to the corresponding face button or to E, whichever one you want, either works). And you can use it to customize your controller to do other things, too. It's weird, it's a pain to do, and it's wildly inconsistent in terms of how your profiles display, but it works.

And maybe one day DE will actually take us into account before releasing massive changes to their controls. I'm hopeful.

On 2019-03-08 at 6:53 PM, IcyJalapeno said:

Warframe - Steam: Xbox 1 Controller:

Can't Melee Attack Besides Quick Melee. After Quick Melee nothing works.  Edit: Hard Reset of Steam and Windows Fix that issue for me.

New Issues:

• Switching Primary / Secondary Weapons Doesn't Work Unless I Quick Melee In between to Swap : (Y) Button Default
  • When Cycling Between Abilities - They're out of order. I believe it was 1,3,5,2,4 : (Left & Right D-Pad) Default

Edit: Can't Melee Attack Besides Quick Melee. After Quick Melee nothing works. It Broken yet again....

Same here. A restart fixed 90% of my issues. Still can't melee beyond the basics equipping quick attack. 

Win 10. Xbox One Wireless. Steam Launcher.

Steam User  

PS4 wired controller

The one and done melee issue is still around even after 24.5.3. Pressing circle one time activates quick melee and then becomes a dead button until primary or secondary weapon is equipped. I'm not sure when we'll get our melee back, but I did notice one thing while mashing my controller in frustration one evening. If I press triangle and circle in quick succession, I can actually get the melee to work. The catch is, the reticle is that of my primary/secondary weapon and NOT the new melee reticle. I was able to continue using my melee until I stopped mashing the circle button which then immediately equipped my weapon. It also goes to note that while I could use melee I could not toggle channeling via L2. Honestly, all the new melee reticle allows me to do is toggle channeling.. and not to be rude but I simply don't care about channeling since I never use it. Perhaps this will shed some light on the subject... I don't have anything new that hasn't already been addressed.

Windows 10 - Wireless Xbox One Controller 

My buttons are only working in mission, but not anywhere else, like Orbit or the menu, "Left" on my D-pad replaces "A" and "Right" on my D-pad replaces "B", and "X" and "Y" don't work at all for things like Arsenal. I tried remapping my controller in game but it didn't change anything. It's weird because my buttons work fine in missions. Haven't noticed any issues with other games, so I know it's not the controller or Steam. Also, I can use melee if I have a secondary equipped, but I can't use my melee by itself if I switch from primary. 

• 2 weeks later...

Windows 10 / Steam / PS4 Controller

I hit circle, thats it. Nothing else happens. I miss my melee. I am forced to used Keyboard if I wanna melee. I occasionally just use my guns switch the melee for the one hit, then switch back to my gun. I do hope this gets fixed soon.

Windows 10, Xbox One controller

I can no longer pull up my map or melee. I can strike once and then melee no longer works. Makes it pretty much impossible to effectively play Valkyr. I have tried restarting my computer, my game, steam, loading from big picture mode, and resetting the keybindings for my controller. None of it has helped.

First of all, sorry for my english.

I fixed the problem of the channeling button in L3 by "manipulating" the buttons mapping until I was able to make it exactly as I wanted. I mean, run in R3 and alternative shot + channeling in L3. quite annoying, be patient.

The pics are in spanish but you can understand anyways..

Before: 

Spoiler

cG5lDal.jpg

After:

Spoiler

Jga3SVg.jpg