Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How do you feel about Hildryn?

Xaxma

She's a bloody SHIELD based Warframe! We already got our HP frame, Inaros, so it's about time we got someone who specializes in their own shields! Hopefully by seeing how successful her shield-gating mechanic is, they might port it over to all shield functioning and then give Hildryn something even stronger to compensate!

But I'm not here to talk about her abilities, I wanna talk about her aesthetics. Sure, she isn't fan-service to most people (Wisp, Saryn, Valkyr), but she doesn't have to be! She's cool in her own way and stands out! Many people equate her to being a Zarya-clone or an Illaoi wannabe, but you don't hear people making the same parallels for literally every other "standard" female archetype. You really could make the comparison, but there'd be too many to make, so no one bothers unless it becomes really obvious; that just tells you how unique and how much Hildryn really stands out! The "strong muscle woman" caricature is cool when done right and it's a fun idea, so I'm glad she exists.

Her arch-gun is a nod to the TF2 Heavy and I find it indicative of how far DE really goes to plan ahead for this sort of release; they literally designed archgun atmosphere mode for both a boss fight and low key to make a frame release with their own specialized archgun just to fit this aesthetic in the future.

DE really made a cool Warframe and they outdid themselves for this one!

Edited by Xaxma
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, (PS4)caoshen0625 said:

but her 2...

Doesn't make her immune, it simply removes it.

More importantly, the way it works is it fires a LoS Projectile to the enemy, which then comes back to her.
If she moves to a different location and there is an object inbetween, it blocks the projectile from returning. 

41 minutes ago, xxswatelitexx said:

Shield is probably the worst thing you can have.

So many procs bypass shields entirely making her completely useless

You have 4,900 shields? Slash and Toxin looks at you and you are dead. 

shield gating, she can't take hp dmg if her shields are active

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, (PS4)caoshen0625 said:

Seriously!!!!? This is some bs right there. Really? you can't move? Come on.......

I have had no problem with getting shields back through walls. In fact, I've abused it against that one room that's in the middle of an open hill on corpus tilesets where they just won't stop getting stuck in.

44 minutes ago, xxswatelitexx said:

Shield is probably the worst thing you can have.

So many procs bypass shields entirely making her completely useless

You have 4,900 shields? Slash and Toxin looks at you and you are dead. 

Procs can't bypass overshields however, which with her two has pretty much a 100% uptime. I had concerns about statuses as well going into her, but she turns out to have immense tanking potential and is near impossible to kill without significant screw-ups. 

Hildryn is an impressively solid frame. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Annnoth said:

I have had no problem with getting shields back through walls. In fact, I've abused it against that one room that's in the middle of an open hill on corpus tilesets where they just won't stop getting stuck in.

ok I'm getting mixed messages here, and I can't test it myself....Hope you are right

15 minutes ago, (PS4)caoshen0625 said:

ok I'm getting mixed messages here, and I can't test it myself....Hope you are right

I actually do rescind my argument, I mistook what he said. If you cast it and it hits enemies, it comes back to you reguardless. But to hit enemies you need line of sight and be on the same relative elevation. Don't know why I was able to hit those enemies through a window earlier, but yeah.

Also in doing so I learned DE changed pillage from one of the devstreams when they said "enemies need to touch the line" as I cast it on some heavy gunners, the wave was far past them but the moment I returned LoS they got stripped. This is actually very important to know given duration now offers a wider window to have shields back incase you instantly get wiped and can't do anything anymore.

Edited by Annnoth

54 minutes ago, Xaxma said:

I wanna talk about her aesthetics.

Her art and sound are seriously good times! I really like her details and shapes, especially the big thick disks of metal in her upper arms. She feels solid, and I get a mecha vibe playing her more than I do with any other frame. The big area whoosh of her 2 with the attached animation, the chain of sound effects on Balefire, the super-satisfying hum of her ult flight, and everything about her unique dash are just so nice. (DE please let me dash during Aegis Storm and my dreams are realized.)

And I'mma talk about her gameplay too after putting many, many hours into Hildryn play these last two days: she works. Really well. It kinda challenges how we think about managing our frames' survivability. Shields don't take hits that well, so one might expect them not to hold up, but when you have so damn much of them it doesn't even matter. Hildryn tanks really solidly and has tons of really sweet support game. She has Status clear, ally buff and enemy debuff that are minor but far-reaching, area lockdown and a wealth of Energy supply to rival some Trinity setups. And her Balefire's not too shabby either -- bit of a pocket weapon/crowd suppressor, nothing to rival Regulators Prime -- providing a decently rounded kit. I am impressed with DE's iteration on a Shield-based Warframe. I'm also impressed with how they iterated on a Warframe that uses no Energy, too.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Annnoth said:

I actually do rescind my argument, I mistook what he said. If you cast it and it hits enemies, it comes back to you reguardless. But to hit enemies you need line of sight and be on the same relative elevation. Don't know why I was able to hit those enemies through a window earlier, but yeah.

Also in doing so I learned DE changed pillage from one of the devstreams when they said "enemies need to touch the line" as I cast it on some heavy gunners, the wave was far past them but the moment I returned LoS they got stripped. This is actually very important to know given duration not offers a wider window to have shields back incase you instantly get wiped and can't do anything anymore.

Well thx for testing. And also wish DE change this....

1 hour ago, xxswatelitexx said:

Doesn't make her immune [to Slash and Toxin procs], it simply removes it.

First of all, Overshields do make her immune, as well as her allies that are in contact with her 3.

Second, the way she removes status (instantly), combined with how often you cast 2 as a source of ability fuel, Hildryn might as well be immune to procs as long as you don't get caught out too hard. If you've been affected by a proc, that means you've been damaged and that there's an enemy near enough to hit you. This means you'll be wanting to top off your Shields, so you'll be casting 2 and removing the status.

1 hour ago, xxswatelitexx said:

More importantly, the way it works is it fires a LoS Projectile to the enemy, which then comes back to her.
If she moves to a different location and there is an object inbetween, it blocks the projectile from returning

That's... not how it works. Shield Pillage sends out a wave that marks enemies and steals Shields/Armor, then after a few seconds the wave comes back to Hildryn. Then the missiles come to Hildryn as Shield. These missiles will go through walls. The trick is that in order for enemies to be marked for Pillage, Hildryn must have a Line-of Sight on them at some point while the wave is extended. She does not need to have LoS on an enemy when the wave passes over them in either direction, she just needs to see them at any time during the ability's duration.

From experimenting at length both in the Simulacrum and in real missions, I find the best way to get the most Shielding out of Shield Pillage is to cast 2, then use her passive dash to change your positioning once or twice before the wave returns. This allows you to look around corners and to extend the ability's functional range by tagging more enemies, since they also don't need to stay inside the range to stay marked. Cast, move, return, grofit.

Edited by SenorClipClop

This is a thread mostly about her aesthetics and theme guys, not so much her stats.

But to solve your guys' gripes about shields, for those of you saying "oh no, toxic procs and viral and gas goes through anyway", there's this awesome mod called [Adaptation] that does wonders for that! And yes, it does work for shields too!

I am now testing her but she can get damage by procs but it can be removed with her second ability. This frame seems nice but she has a low hp in compensation she got a moderate amount of armor and a huge amount of shields. In my build I put to her equilibrium because that can be used for her shield and she instant take the orbs if you are using her abilities so if your hp low then you can pump up with some orbs. Since she does not use energy the flow can be replaced but I actually at level 12 with her so need further testing.

As the aesthetic part she is more like Zarya and Braun from Lol. She is a bulky but still loveable frame and she is perfectly fit to her role. 

4 hours ago, Xaxma said:

She's a bloody SHIELD based Warframe! We already got our HP frame, Inaros, so it's about time we got someone who specializes in their own shields! Hopefully by seeing how successful her shield-gating mechanic is, they might port it over to all shield functioning and then give Hildryn something even stronger to compensate!

But I'm not here to talk about her abilities, I wanna talk about her aesthetics. Sure, she isn't fan-service to most people (Wisp, Saryn, Valkyr), but she doesn't have to be! She's cool in her own way and stands out! Many people equate her to being a Zarya-clone or an Illaoi wannabe, but you don't hear people making the same parallels for literally every other "standard" female archetype. You really could make the comparison, but there'd be too many to make, so no one bothers unless it becomes really obvious; that just tells you how unique and how much Hildryn really stands out! The "strong muscle woman" caricature is cool when done right and it's a fun idea, so I'm glad she exists.

Her arch-gun is a nod to the TF2 Heavy and I find it indicative of how far DE really goes to plan ahead for this sort of release; they literally designed archgun atmosphere mode for both a boss fight and low key to make a frame release with their own specialized archgun just to fit this aesthetic in the future.

DE really made a cool Warframe and they outdid themselves for this one!

Time will tell.  Like Baruuk, she is seemingly locked behind non-core combat grindwalls.

She is an Overshields She-Rhino with a custom Gravimagged AW gun and a jet pack. She can suspend enemies like multiple other frames.

Edited by (PS4)Silverback73

Wouldn't know, can't get her because I have to grind a faction I thought I could skip, even at just the cost of Baruuk.

That aside, she doesn't look like a strong woman, she looks exactly like what a female bodybuilder who uses steroids and takes testosterone.
It's tantamount to making an anorexic warframe.

And no, I don't mind that there's a muscled female character, I happen to think they're beautiful, but this is more like a very damaged person who is destroying their body.

• Like 3