Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Advice for New Players Trying to Catch Up

SuperPiatos

Hey, guys!

I am fairly new to this game (been playing for 2 months) and so far have been enjoying it. This is the first game in which I spent money for only playing for 2 weeks or so. I know that these Nighwave acts is a bit frustrating especially that Operation: Buried Debts event came out and mostly those with high Mastery Ranks are the first ones to finish it during the weekend and us playing "casually" are only able to play like 3-4 hours a day so fitting the schedules is like forcing us to play (like in other posts saying that Digital Extremes is like making this game a chore or a 2nd job).

Don't get me wrong, I have commented on a post that I feel extremely frustrated on DE for doing the event like this and is still a little bit frustrated about this BUT, as I was playing last night to farm void traces for the Orokin Vault Keys and used a different frame (Volt; I fancy Rhino/Prime) I remembered what it was like to play for the first time but with some knowledge. That feeling you get when you did your very first parkour, super hero landing, powerful ability all came surging back to me and then I realized this: "Yes. I want to get the strong equipment rewards from the events to be on par with these high MR players but focusing on how hard it is to obtain that only stresses me out. I should just enjoy the game like what I intended to do in the first place."

Don't worry about missing or not finishing the events, there will be other events more enjoyable than what we currently have. DE is very active at that and has been release a lot of content. Just remember that Garuda was only release last November 2018 and they already have released Hildryn a day before Garuda's 4th month release. Besides, you might not like the Opticor Vandal so why stress about it? Umbral FormaI don't even have any Umbral mods yet! Haven't done The Sacrifice quest!

From time to time I will get frustrated but I will do my best to remember why I started playing this great game, to enjoy the little available time that I have. So you should too!

Edit:

Forgot to mention this. While reading the Nightwave acts last night, I realized that DE is actually trying to remind us newbies to try this games other features: fishing, mining and orokin vaults. 

Edited by SuperPiatos

My advice for you is trying to spend time on finishing the nightwave and event because if you miss those you never know when can you get those rewards again. Then you make a list for yourself and try to figure out the priorities, my list used to be like:

Alerts

raid

syndicates

sortie

You can never catch up with everything unless you treat warframe as a full time job, I spend 1000+ hours on this game and still got tons to catch up because I never bother to do it, the weapons and warframe will always be there you just have to take your time get a few booster and grind it out.

This is a refreshingly positive view of Nightwave.

If I could add one thing it would be to say that all this will almost certainly come back around again. If there won't be a way of selecting Wolf of Saturn Six to take another run at it then I am sure the items and rewards will come back again, just like Operation Plague Star, just like the Grineer Ghouls or maybe Baro will have them at some point.

We will eventually get everything. All the content will be tweaked and recycled. In some respects Warframe is like Path of Exile in the way that it has an event which introduces a new mechanic and then that mechanic is just part of the core game moving forward.

I had a short rant on stream last night about how the worst thing about Nightwave and the Thermia Fractures event running at the same time is that the Wolf doesn't spawn in "free roam" missions like the Orb Vallis. So for two weeks we're choosing between mutually exclusive things. Kinda. Since there are still many Nightwave objectives you can do in the Vallis.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, justin0620 said:

My advice for you is trying to spend time on finishing the nightwave and event because if you miss those you never know when can you get those rewards again. Then you make a list for yourself and try to figure out the priorities, my list used to be like:

Alerts

raid

syndicates

sortie

You can never catch up with everything unless you treat warframe as a full time job, I spend 1000+ hours on this game and still got tons to catch up because I never bother to do it, the weapons and warframe will always be there you just have to take your time get a few booster and grind it out.

I disagree. For REALLY new players, who like OP have only been playing a few weeks, Nightwave should be very much a secondary thing, since the majority of rewards are either cosmetic (helmets, glyphs, noggles etc.) or are more advanced than they need (e.g. umbral mods).

The only thing that would be really useful is Wolf Creds to buy Nitain...and they can get a decent start on that just by reaching rank 10...which ought to be attainable with a minimum of effort.

Best thing is to concentrate on the quests, progressing through the star chart and generally learning the game.

• Like 2

I think skipping nightwave for newbies is okay as you won't miss out that much. Some cosmetic yes, but it's not really important for newbie's progression and if you miss this season cosmetic, I believe the next season will bring another cosmetics. Umbral forma is also skip-able for reason that already mentioned in the OP and it will also return on another season. That being said, try to do what you can do, so at least you can get some of those  creds to buy the much needed nitain and potatoes.

I think it is better if the newbies participate in the events. Not only they can get the time limited reward, but they can also level up some weapons or frames while doing it (lets face it, it's basically a defense/mobile defense mission that spawn a lot of enemies). So doing the event can also progress your mastery rank and maybe completing your warframe/weapon build.

DE is pumping content to us now because of last year's content drought feedback so there are a lot of things to do, which is a good thing for some players, but it might also overwhelmed the new ones. My advice? Just play at your own pace and make priority of stuffs which you deem necessary. You might missing out some, yes, but that's fine, knowing warframe it will comeback. Don't pressure yourself by wanting everything in the buffet. Consider what you really need and what you can get with the time you have.

Edited by kingvaldemir
Adding some other stuffs

20 minutes ago, SuperPiatos said:

Hey, guys!

I am fairly new to this game (been playing for 2 months) and so far have been enjoying it. This is the first game in which I spent money for only playing for 2 weeks or so. I know that these Nighwave acts is a bit frustrating especially that Operation: Buried Debts event came out and mostly those with high Mastery Ranks are the first ones to finish it during the weekend and us playing "casually" are only able to play like 3-4 hours a day so fitting the schedules is like forcing us to play (like in other posts saying that Digital Extremes is like making this game a chore or a 2nd job).

Don't get me wrong, I have commented on a post that I feel extremely frustrated on DE for doing the event like this and is still a little bit frustrated about this BUT, as I was playing last night to farm void traces for the Orokin Vault Keys and used a different frame (Volt; I fancy Rhino/Prime) I remembered what it was like to play for the first time but with some knowledge. That feeling you get when you did your very first parkour, super hero landing, powerful ability all came surging back to me and then I realized this: "Yes. I want to get the strong equipment rewards from the events to be on par with these high MR players but focusing on how hard it is to obtain that only stresses me out. I should just enjoy the game like what I intended to do in the first place."

Don't worry about missing or not finishing the events, there will be other events more enjoyable than what we currently have. DE is very active at that and has been release a lot of content. Just remember that Garuda was only release last November 2018 and they already have released Hildryn a day before Garuda's 4th month release. Besides, you might not like the Opticor Vandal so why stress about it? Umbral FormaI don't even have any Umbral mods yet! Haven't done The Sacrifice quest!

From time to time I will get frustrated but I will do my best to remember why I started playing this great game, to enjoy the little available time that I have. So you should too!

Well said. Good to see a (largely) positive post on this.

Thing is, the game only becomes a chore / job if you let it. People are acting like there is this super-intense pressure to get everything now, not realising that Wolf of Saturn Six is only the first Nightwave series. There will be others, so there is only as much pressure to complete it as you put on yourself.

I've been playing the best part of 18 months and have yet to feel any pressure to complete anything. I deliberately limit the time I play in order to avoid "burn out" and I don't do really long "endless" survival or defence missions either.

I'm happy just as long as I make a little progress each time I play and if I miss out on stuff, I don't worry too much as it will likely be available again at some point in the future.

As long as you're not in a rush to complete everything, this can be a fun game.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, FlusteredFerret said:

I disagree. For REALLY new players, who like OP have only been playing a few weeks, Nightwave should be very much a secondary thing, since the majority of rewards are either cosmetic (helmets, glyphs, noggles etc.) or are more advanced than they need (e.g. umbral mods).

The only thing that would be really useful is Wolf Creds to buy Nitain...and they can get a decent start on that just by reaching rank 10...which ought to be attainable with a minimum of effort.

Best thing is to concentrate on the quests, progressing through the star chart and generally learning the game.

Are you telling me weapon slot, forma, warframe slot are useless for REALLY new players? Tell me when can you get those rewards again when you miss it. How long did we waited for braton vandal and lato vandal to come back.

Edited by justin0620

2 minutes ago, justin0620 said:

Are you telling me weapon slot, forma, warframe slot are useless for REALLY new players? Tell when can you get those rewards again when you miss it. How long did we waited for braton vandal and lato vandal to come out.

Hey, man. I get your point but like I said in my post, I can only play for 3-4 hours a day and more only in the weekends. Yes, those stuff are important, I know. But it is not worth stressing it if it burns me out. Don't wanna leave this game yet since this is the first game in 6 years that I have really enjoyed. And don't worry, I see frustration as one of the challenges in this game 😄

I would suggest not even trying to catch up, sooner or later everything becomes available again if you're patient enough, at least, everything useful. Watch the invasions, sometimes there are orokin reactors and catalysts there, alternatively wait for the 50 or 75% rewards and buy some platinum then.

Engage with the wolf cred system if you want to, but only as much as you want to, that way it won't become a chore.

I had a similar experience to you recently when I completed Saryn Prime and things just started dying, chortling evilly as my little babies spread their blessings.

This made me really think about what I enjoy most about warframe and decide to do more of it rather than jump through the hoops.

Treat warframe as a buffet, not a long list of chores.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, SuperPiatos said:

Hey, guys!

Edit:

Forgot to mention this. While reading the Nightwave acts last night, I realized that DE is actually trying to remind us newbies to try this games other features: fishing, mining and orokin vaults. 

giphy.gif

Finaly someone who understands

Edited by HorridaMessor
  • Like 1