Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Melee completely ruined after update 24

KieSeyHow

So many issues now with melee since update 24; all because the game was not broken, but simply had bad default keybinds and unlabelled keybind groupings in the UI.  Gliaves are USELESS now, because you cannot tap alternate fire for the glaive throw.  Now there is only only normal mellee (melee key) and charged throw (holding melee key), because no melee channel manual selection.  So, ALL such thrown weapons ruined.  Before the throw was a finely timed tap of the alternate-fire key, and now you have to hold the melee key for a clumsey timed throw only ... which completely ruins the style.

Before the dumbing-down of the game (likely for console gamers) you could select melee and block at will, glide, aim, block and attack ALL at the same time.  Now, much of what made Warframe melee unique is gone!  I cannot even use melee channel, because the key I used before for melee-channel was the left-mouse key, and right-mouse was for both mellee and quick-melee, which worked perfectly.  AIM should not be right-mouse, because you cannot aim, glide, block and attack (glide attack) all at once that way (well not anymore since the useless update).  Before you could bullet-jump, aim and glide towards mobs, then slash attack as you passed by, all while blocking.  You fixed something that was NOT BROKEN, simply because of the faulty default keybinds (likely setup by some consoler and not a true PC gamer).  Aim, block, and glide, worked PERFECTLY if it was mapped to the left-Alt key (for right-handed), and still did not conflict with jump (usually spacebar for righties), so you could do amazing things in Warframe that no other game could ... sadly no longer the case.  Now the game has been ruined and dumbed-down, all because there was no sensible default keybinds and also confusing unmarked keybind-groups in the UI... 

What incompetence to ruin something merely to preserve an original mistake.  What manager had charge of this?  I can explain EXACTLY how to map the original game, and why, and prove it works perfectly.  I showed this to MANY others, usually after they noticed the moves I was doing and could not mimic them.  Even some veteran players agreed the new mappings were better once they were given the idea.  ALL agreed it was better, many subsequently kept using those mappings from thence onwards.  This is not acceptable DE; you guys ended up breaking the game by trying to fix the wrong thing.  WHY!?  Now it feels like completely different game having several capabilities ripped out for no good reason.

Edited by KieSeyHow

18 minutes ago, GnarlsDarkley said:

I like how you put this Melee 2.9999 Feedback into Bugs

Honestly I did not know where to put it.  There is no "Gameplay" section, and the topic headings do not cover everything by FAR.  Who set these up??  This melee issue, in my opinion, is based upon a UI issue.  The whole default bindings fiasco causes people to not know how to play the best way they can.  Also, the issue of unmarked bind groupings has been there since the beginning.  I cannot even remember how many people I have met who did not know that you can bind the same keys more than once.  I am sure it has caused some people to quit the game from frustration.  There IS A BETTER WAY, and it was simple and easy to do, but now it is even more borked.  I have not idea how it was not changed ages ago.  And now, there are MORE issues, because something that was not broken was modifed to to make up for an original issue in clarity.  Compounded incompetence, probably because of some desk-manager somewhere who is not really a gamer..   I can prove and demonstrate the issue, and detail how and why.

I totally agree with you KieSeyHow! Wasn't broke and didn't need to be fixed!!! I play with total customization with my controls and have similar setup that you have just different keys, like having quick melee and melee strike bound to the same key and LMB set to melee strike as well. This change completely F'd my setup and now I get gun when I don't want. I use aim and block on the same key so when I go to block gun comes up. It's a mess. It frustrates me to think about DE spending man power on this stupid change instead new content. Its beyond me.

I actually never spend time on the forums because I'm having too much fun playing the game. That all changed with this new melee setup. Give us options, don't take away control. Weak sauce all the way. I've posted a couple of very long winded posts about this and I am going to post on every thread that has this subject matter. Hopefully DE will see they made a mistake. I'm on the verge of freeing up hard drive space. I do have other gaming interests but this was my favorite until this change.

I'm trying to keep and open mind given this is just the first iteration of the change but you didn't give us anything, you just took control away from the more advanced PC users. Console/controller players I'm sorry but it's an apples an oranges comparison. I have a keyboard and a mouse and a keyboard has 101 keys (give or take the board you use) and I customize all my bindings. All that muscle memory from playing for the last 6 years just went right out the window. I would have thought that they would have just made the key to change from gun mode to full melee mode a melee strike key. Instantly attacking and putting you in melee only where you'd want to be. I can not track a scan target and use quick melee any more. That was very handy now its gone.

While I share the frustrations, it's asinine to think these changes were made with console in mind. Consoles (or even just controller using PC players like myself) get shafted every update that changes any controls, this time is no different.

Yeah really, of course PC is always a wide open beta of sorts. Things will get updated, things will change, and this technically still isn't full melee 3.0. I have my issues of course too, mostly glitches that are yet to be fixed but they have a lot on their plate and I'm working on reporting that stuff.

The thing is, controls will occasionally change, sometimes a little, sometimes a lot. This is probably the first control change this big we've seen to the game since Parkour 2.0. Now I'm not dissing it in anyway, I'm just saying, the default controls, are what the devs build around, and while it's great that you can rebind things, it's good to remember that they're building around the default controls, and they left the option there for people to rebind things, but if a drastic change to gameplay such as this happens, it can turn things on it's head because there's a lot of things you could rebind in a weird way that doesn't work with the new system.

That being said give things a chance, and try to figure out the pluses of this, because whether they seem small or not there's a lot of little things that really improve melee in this. For example, weapon change speed, in a lot of groups people kill things so fast it was barely worth it to take the time to full equip melee to use your stance because it would take 1-2 seconds before you could fully change into it wasting time, this is not longer a waste. As for blocking, yes the angle is smaller now, but it's also automatic making it potentially get far more use (although mods like Guardian Derision should be updated somehow) as for channeling it's a bit funny but that's probably not going to be staying in the long run anyway. Then you have slams, which are directional now and help close gaps, with as fast as some groups kill now melee's had a much harder time staying relevant to the game since it's release but the new slams and holster times are making you able to use your stanced moves and close gaps to use those melee weapons more often, and faster. Another benefit also is the quick change over effects some exalted gear as well so Ivara can actually melee with her special bow out, or Valkyr can pause hysteria to shoot something for a bit. It takes some getting used to but I like a lot of the changes.

My recommendation to people that have massive control changes, is to write down your changes or backup your config file so you don't lose your settings, but try reverting the controls for all weapon related things to default for a while, see how it's supposed to feel now in comparison to how it was, and see what changes you could make to your old config to improve it with the new style since it feels a lot different since gun and melee controls mix together a bit now.

As for me though, I am hoping it works out alright on controller. Right now controllers are kinnnnnnda broke and I figure with my Steam controller already gonna be having to make some interesting changes to make this go over well I think.

Edited by Drex83

I can't play the game anymore because of the removal of melee key. I was used to play with my sword.  Doing all sort a combos movments.  At fist, I thought it was a bug...but no...it is an improvment ???

Well, I wil not play the game anymore until the melee key binding return.  Until then, I will be enjoing other computers games.  If it take to long...I might not ever play warframe again.

playing with controller on PC seems working now...

nvmd, it doesnt anymore somehow...

here the one scenario it was working for the whole run (around 30mins):
solo
poe
steam controller
the controller was turned off when the game started (that does make a difference somehow). not sure if i turned it on when reaching the planes or after logging in.

Edited by Anarchy_Skywalker

23 hours ago, Anarchy_Skywalker said:

solo
poe
steam controller
the controller was turned off when the game started (that does make a difference somehow). not sure if i turned it on when reaching the planes or after logging in.

i managed to isolate the circumstances when its working. if u want to try it out:

controller off
start steam
run warframe
jump into mission (no matter what type of mission and if played solo or public)
wait till u get control of your frame (when u jump down into mission)
turn controller on
hit a button (a,b,x, y all worked for me)
use melee as described 😉

if u were to try it, pls lemme know if it worked or not 🖤

On 2019-03-14 at 9:21 PM, SilverWingMan777 said:

I can't play the game anymore because of the removal of melee key. I was used to play with my sword.  Doing all sort a combos movments.  At fist, I thought it was a bug...but no...it is an improvment ???

Well, I wil not play the game anymore until the melee key binding return.  Until then, I will be enjoing other computers games.  If it take to long...I might not ever play warframe again.

Not sure what you're aiming at here, of course the melee key exists?

On 2019-03-16 at 4:40 AM, Anarchy_Skywalker said:

solo
poe
steam controller

Controllers were very broken, they should be working again now I don't recall seeing it in patch notes anywhere but I know (after some tweaking) my steam controller is working again. Make sure you check the profile though, or if you only used the default before, go import the new default. The Melee action set needs to be updated to keep aim/gun fire on the triggers to work as intended now, so you need to set those up like they are in the Gun action set, and also need to add Quick Melee back to B in the melee action set otherwise you won't have a button to use for melee after you swing once and it changes to the Melee set. Again if your config was pretty basic it may just be easier to import the default again, although personally I find melee to be a lot more managable on right touch click but to each their own

Edited by Drex83

On 2019-03-18 at 11:58 PM, Drex83 said:

Not sure what you're aiming at here, of course the melee key exists?

Controllers were very broken, they should be working again now I don't recall seeing it in patch notes anywhere but I know (after some tweaking) my steam controller is working again. Make sure you check the profile though, or if you only used the default before, go import the new default. The Melee action set needs to be updated to keep aim/gun fire on the triggers to work as intended now, so you need to set those up like they are in the Gun action set, and also need to add Quick Melee back to B in the melee action set otherwise you won't have a button to use for melee after you swing once and it changes to the Melee set. Again if your config was pretty basic it may just be easier to import the default again, although personally I find melee to be a lot more managable on right touch click but to each their own

aight, after reloading the default configs it seems ok now. didnt test it much tho. anyway, thx dude :-)

On 2019-03-22 at 11:44 AM, Anarchy_Skywalker said:

aight, after reloading the default configs it seems ok now. didnt test it much tho. anyway, thx dude 🙂

Glad you got it working! Although with the change to melee buttons I think it feels better moving and swinging without triggers now if you put melee on touch pad click or something so you can still aim and swing though!

On 2019-03-25 at 8:14 AM, Drex83 said:

Glad you got it working! Although with the change to melee buttons I think it feels better moving and swinging without triggers now if you put melee on touch pad click or something so you can still aim and swing though!

now thats working, i like it a lot. melee feels a bit like DMC now. esp with tatsu <3