Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Zbrush 2018 Core?

If you have access to basic brushes, Zremesher and polypainting, I would say you're good to go.
In my case, I did my first skins with Sculptris which is free, so it can be a great way to start. It's very limited, so I would advice upgrading to ZbrushCore/Zbrush once you start feeling the limits, but at least you won't spend money until you're familiar with it.

Edit : Also don't forget you will need other softwares to do retopoly/UV and texturing unless you're working with someone else to do these.

Edited by lukinu_u

1 hour ago, lukinu_u said:

If you have access to basic brushes, Zremesher and polypainting, I would say you're good to go.
In my case, I did my first skins with Sculptris which is free, so it can be a great way to start. It's very limited, so I would advice upgrading to ZbrushCore/Zbrush once you start feeling the limits, but at least you won't spend money until you're familiar with it.

Edit : Also don't forget you will need other softwares to do retopoly/UV and texturing unless you're working with someone else to do these.

Does Sculptris have Zremesher ad polypainting? Its been forever since i used it. I think zbrush core is inbetween sculptris and full zbrush.

Blender does retopoly/UV right?

Zremesher is not a thing but the dynamic tessellation should replace it you're not looking for really precise controle over your geometry, and polypainting isn't there but without alternative.
How I said, Sculptris a beginning tool, so it may be limited but it's free, so I would say just give it a try and see if it work for you. Anyways, both softwares are from Pixologic and have the sames bases, so by using Sculptris, you will indirectly practice on Zbrush.

As for blender, yes it's fine for retopology/UV.