The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Clarity required from DE

Was very disturbed to see the word cancer was censored, DE scare me with their very very liberal(2019 liberal not real liberal) values. What scared me more as the message from [DE]Kickbot:
"please put a stop to this awful trend, Of all illnesses, cancer is the least funny........"

SO DE, I would like you to clarify and reveal your illness comedy scale that you have, very intrigued to see what the most funny illness is.

Spoiler

The censorship road is a very slippery, and poorly thought out path to take. It is better to allow people to make fools of themselves and allow other to block and judge, than to blanket your community with the flawed think tank that is liberal 2019.

Edited by (PS4)covan2306

Just now, MagPrime said:

Personally, not a fan of the joke.  I have 3 family members dealing with cancer at the moment, so the humor is lost on me. 

absolutely shouldn't be a joke, I also have had my fair share of runs ins with it in my life. I still dislike the idea of censoring it though. Thats the bad trend.

Just now, (PS4)covan2306 said:

absolutely shouldn't be a joke, I also have had my fair share of runs ins with it in my life. I still dislike the idea of censoring it though. Thats the bad trend.

How else is DE going to make the community change? 

Take the Nezha is a trap stupidity; DE flat out asked people to stop, gave valid reasons why they should stop and the internet being the internet, it got worse.  Now using that line will earn you a week long chat ban.

So, in order to enact and enforce change in their community, they employ strict censorship.  

If people hadn't resorted to nonsense jokes like trap or cancer, just because they were asked and then told to stop, then DE wouldn't feel they had the moral obligation or right to start censoring people within their own game. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, (PS4)covan2306 said:

SO DE, I would like you to clarify and reveal your illness comedy scale that you have, very intrigued to see what the most funny illness is.

This is censored because of how the word's use is tossed around as a joke or insult in online communities, notably gaming ones. "This low FPS is giving me cancer" for example, is a common way that people take a disease that causes death and suffering in millions and turns it into a casual complaint about your game in an effort to get attention.

• Like 4

I agree with OP, censoring is dumb, no matter the subject ...

I am being hit with full depression for now a few years, but only clearly been identified around a year ago. ( Suicidal thoughts, wanting to just not ever move of bed... ) And yet, I still laugh to depression jokes. ( Am I an A******? An horrible being? Who knows. ) De shouldn't protect people with some arbitrary and stupid censoring. It's an adult game, let adults talk with each others about adult stuff, ans if someone doesn't like what they see, the ignore function is for this.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, SenorClipClop said:

This is censored because of how the word's use is tossed around as a joke or insult in online communities, notably gaming ones. "This low FPS is giving me cancer" for example, is a common way that people take a disease that causes death and suffering in millions and turns it into a casual complaint about your game in an effort to get attention.

OK then be consistant, they are releasing an overweight warframe next, obesity being a bigger cause of death and suffering.

3 minutes ago, MagPrime said:

How else is DE going to make the community change? 

Take the Nezha is a trap stupidity; DE flat out asked people to stop, gave valid reasons why they should stop and the internet being the internet, it got worse.  Now using that line will earn you a week long chat ban.

So, in order to enact and enforce change in their community, they employ strict censorship.  

If people hadn't resorted to nonsense jokes like trap or cancer, just because they were asked and then told to stop, then DE wouldn't feel they had the moral obligation or right to start censoring people within their own game. 

Your 1st sentance is sickening, make the community change....to their values. With cancer it's a given bad thing, and I'd heavily agree that it was being used 99.9% of the time wrongly and carelessly, but this cencorship trend is way way worse, and if its anything like what social media is pulling, DE will be backing flawed and emotional based logics. The downfall of society, emotion based censorship.

Oh there are plenty of diseases, injuries and ways of dying that are far less funny and more terrifying than cancer. Having insects lay eggs in the eyes of your infant for example, without you being able to do anything about it but have them blinded for the rest of their life, because there's no proper doctor within reach and no guarantee of survival.

Anyway, I saw my mother wither away to lung cancer over the years until she was broken and gave up because of the pain and constant hospitalizations, but I can laugh at cancer jokes just fine, because I don't automatically assume the worst about the people making them.

It's a lost cause to try and battle the politically correct direction that the chat and these forums have - All of the staff pretty much agrees on what they think is right and don't consider alternatives an even vaguely valid method. Apparently resentment is prefferable to just ignoring dumb remarks that really don't carry any malice.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, (PS4)covan2306 said:

OK then be consistant, they are releasing an overweight warframe next, obesity being a bigger cause of death and suffering.

Nobody said she was overweight. There are bulky body types for women too. Shes more like a body builder.

edit: thats clearly a sixpack shes sporting

Edited by BlkRobedMage
  • Like 2

I just like the idea that DE censored the word cancer, when their ever growing desire to make people say what they deem to be acceptable could be described as cancerous in that it's starting to grow out of control.  On the more realistic side though, it might not be based on DEs discretion as Canada is supposedly quite censor happy.

6 minutes ago, (PS4)covan2306 said:

What? If you mean Hildryn, she's not overweight, she's swol AF.

Also, how is a frame's design anywhere near the same as chat moderation? Don't change the subject.

22 minutes ago, (PS4)covan2306 said:

DE scare me with their very very liberal(2019 liberal not real liberal) values

6 minutes ago, (PS4)covan2306 said:

Y'all get this fools no one outside your bubble, right? We see you. You are less difficult to see through than the air on any given day.

Just now, Starfreak911 said:

I just like the idea that DE censored the word cancer, when their ever growing desire to make people say what they deem to be acceptable could be described as cancerous in that it's starting to grow out of control.  On the more realistic side though, it might not be based on DEs discretion as Canada is supposedly quite censor happy.

Will you be the one to actually cite what law is apparently making DE not host garbage they don't want to host anyways?

• Like 2

I just want to point out, Gas is a damage type in the game.

Policing jokes and jabs never works. The Nezha thing still happens because people know others are getting kicked out of the chat for it, so it really just sets it in stone.

4 minutes ago, peterc3 said:

Y'all get this fools no one outside your bubble, right? We see you. You are less difficult to see through than the air on any given day.

This makes absolutety no sense. no one outside my bubble, which bubble....come expert if you can see me clearly..which bubble kiddo.

Edited by (PS4)covan2306

27 minutes ago, (PS4)covan2306 said:

The censorship road is a very slippery, and poorly thought out path to take.

"Censorship" would imply that Warframe's servers are public property, and not the private property of DE

Your thesis is correct, let me be clear: I don't think we need to bleep out the word "cancer". But any use of "censorship" (other than the generic term "censor bleep") makes you sound like First World Problems, and as such makes your defense of your thesis sound weaker

3 minutes ago, (PS4)covan2306 said:

Yes

Then why? You acknowledge that the word is being used wrongly and carelessly in virtually all cases on the in-game chat. Why do you support its use then? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you're arguing for having an in-game chat that accommodates toxic behavior in the form of 13-year-old saying the naughty stuff they'd otherwise get yelled at for by their parents and teachers. Because that's the only "benefit" I see in letting this stuff fly in a game chat.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TARINunit9 said:

"Censorship" would imply that Warframe's servers are public property, and not the private property of DE

Your thesis is correct, let me be clear: I don't think we need to bleep out the word "cancer". But any use of "censorship" (other than the generic term "censor bleep") makes you sound like First World Problems, and as such makes your defense of your thesis sound weaker

Censorship is the suppression of speech, public communication, or other information, on the basis that such material is considered objectionable, harmful, sensitive, or "inconvenient". Censorship can be conducted by a government  private institutions, and corporations

It isn't a process limited to "public property". It is however a process that eliminates discourse, which is the one thing our world needs.

2 minutes ago, SenorClipClop said:

Then why? You acknowledge that the word is being used wrongly and carelessly in virtually all cases on the in-game chat. Why do you support its use then? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you're arguing for having an in-game chat that accommodates toxic behavior in the form of 13-year-old saying the naughty stuff they'd otherwise get yelled at for by their parents and teachers. Because that's the only "benefit" I see in letting this stuff fly in a game chat.

Just becuase I personally do not like how its is being used, does not mean it should censored..I am only me, responsible for me.

Edited by (PS4)covan2306

Another point I feel needs to be made.

DE is under no obligation to host content it finds objectionable. This is not censorship.

All the crying and gnashing of teeth over this slippery slope... that doesn't exist. DE preventing you from saying cancer doesn't lead to anything. The slippery slope is telling a company it must host content they don't want to. 

8 minutes ago, (PS4)covan2306 said:

This makes absolutety no sense. no one outside my bubble, which bubble....come expert if you can see me clearly..which bubble kiddo.

Find a better grasp of the language you are so distraught over being unable to use.

2 minutes ago, TARINunit9 said:

Censorship, colloquially, is the suppression of any expression and can be detrimental no matter where it happens or comes from.
The heckler's veto is an example of it in action, where upon a single individual can silence an entire event by constantly interrupting or pulling a fire alarm.

Censorship is not limited to the government but also includes companies/corporations and private institutions.

Look, I don't find this guys particular complaint that fascinating either, but it does put a bummer on things when you get chat banned for innocuous stuff, such as when I tried to write "WTS slightly used cephalon" because "WTS belongs in trade chat". It's frustrating and people occasionally lash out when they get ban-hammered; It feels oppressive even if it's comparatively not a big deal.

Just now, (PS4)covan2306 said:

Censorship is the suppression of speech, public communication, or other information, on the basis that such material is considered objectionable, harmful, sensitive, or "inconvenient". Censorship can be conducted by a government  private institutions, and corporations

It isn't a process limited to "public property". It is however a process that eliminates discourse, which is the one thing our world needs.

Just now, Smilomaniac said:

Censorship, colloquially, is the suppression of any expression and can be detrimental no matter where it happens or comes from.
The heckler's veto is an example of it in action, where upon a single individual can silence an entire event by constantly interrupting or pulling a fire alarm.

Censorship is not limited to the government but also includes companies/corporations and private institutions.

You're missing one little detail: Censorship is, by definition, inflicted either by a government onto its populace (enforced via police), or a publisher onto its developers (enforced via intellectual property legal threats)

There is nothing stopping you from expressing your concerns on your own website, DE can't stop that and thus it's not censorship. It's DE saying "get off my lawn"

See also:

Just now, peterc3 said:

DE is under no obligation to host content it finds objectionable. This is not censorship.

(Though I feel peterc3 is being just a liiiiiittle too dismissive)