Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Make companions invincible already

SordidDreams

Or at least buff all the survivability mods for them by an order of magnitude. Having them randomly die without being able to do much about it is simply not very fun. Given how little use they are in combat, it's hardly a buff and there is zero abuse potential. It's simply a QoL change. We've been putting up with this annoyance for years. Get rid of it already.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, SordidDreams said:

Or at least buff all the survivability mods for them by an order of magnitude. Having them randomly die without being able to do much about it is simply not very fun. Given how little use they are in combat, it's hardly a buff and there is zero abuse potential. It's simply a QoL change. We've been putting up with this annoyance for years. Get rid of it already.

Be more specific. He is most likely talking about the Sentinel pets. Right now, the cats are amazing for survival. The Robotics are not. High lvl AOE mobs kills it too fast especially the flame thrower dudes killing them before killing you. The link mods don't support Sentinels.

Edited by Makemap
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Makemap said:

Be more specific. He is most likely talking about the Sentinel pets. Right now, the cats are amazing for survival. The Robotics are not. High lvl AOE mobs kills it too fast especially the flame thrower dudes killing them before killing you. The link mods don't support Sentinels.

I'm talking about pets as well. They're not as bad as sentinels but they're still pretty bad. The link mods are part of the problem, because with them your pet's stats are based on your own. So if you have a tanky frame who could afford to babysit a fragile pet, you get a tanky pet. And if you have a fragile frame that needs a tanky pet, you get a fragile pet. If anything it should be the other way around.

Though I still think simply making them invincible would be the most elegant and fun solution. I don't see the value in having utility pets that can die. It's like the weapon switching thing. Yeah, you could have a delay there and mods to speed it up and such... or you could just make it instant, and whaddya know, suddenly the game's way more fun.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, SordidDreams said:

I'm talking about pets as well. They're not as bad as sentinels but they're still pretty bad. The link mods are part of the problem, because with them your pet's stats are based on your own. So if you have a tanky frame who could afford to babysit a fragile pet, you get a tanky pet. And if you have a fragile frame that needs a tanky pet, you get a fragile pet. If anything it should be the other way around.

Though I still think simply making them invincible would be the most elegant and fun solution. I don't see the value in having utility pets that can die. It's like the weapon switching thing. Yeah, you could have a delay there and mods to speed it up and such... or you could just make it instant, and whaddya know, suddenly the game's way more fun.

Cats are fine. Hint: Tek set mod. Sentinels need some sort of major buff. There weapons are down right useless too. It doesn't scale in lvl. My Kavat can fight lvl 130s. Also you can't revive Sentinels like Cats which is also dumb. What the hell is the point of sentinels anyways. It would make sense if DE allows 1 Sentinel and 1 cat. Cause we have Moas now. Too bad DE forbid it.

Edited by Makemap

6 minutes ago, Makemap said:

Cats are fine. Hint: Tek set mod. Sentinels need some sort of major buff. This weapons are down right useless too. It doesn't scale in lvl. My Kavat can fight lvl 130s.

Cats are most definitely not fine. I am using the tek set mod. Cats still occasionally die, especially when playing fragile frames. Which would be okay if it were my fault, but it ain't. There's not a damn thing I can do to prevent it, so of course I object to being punished for it.

Edited by SordidDreams
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, SordidDreams said:

An idea came to my mind long ago, a band-aid mod though, a precept mod that makes the companion invincible at the cost of being unable to use any offensive or support abilities, that means no medi-ray but no weapons, Helios would only scan, Carrier would only be ammo case and maybe a container breaker, etc., if you want the same with pets it would be quite harder tho.

I've never really been able to use Companions outside Kuva farming myself.

Until I can prevent them from trying to melee a lvl 300 Napalm there's just no point.

They've also been fundamentally flawed since the start. They rely on your frame's raw stat values instead of complimenting the frame itself. A particular companion might have an ability that works well with a certain frame but if that frame has low eHP or doesn't have amazing CC then might as well shelf that idea.

I've always used Sentinels as a result and with Sentinels they either never die or die quickly never return. Djinn might be able to revive itself but if Djinn already went through Primed Regen then it won't stay alive more than a few seconds before dying again. That's just how it works out. I have plenty of 2-3 hour runs where my Sentinel never dies and other where it's dead the whole run. It's faction based, frame based, weapon based. Not much can be done about it other than avoid the situation.

Companions on the other hand just die constantly after a point if you're not running like three specific frames.

4 hours ago, VanFanel1980mx said:

An idea came to my mind long ago, a band-aid mod though, a precept mod that makes the companion invincible at the cost of being unable to use any offensive or support abilities, that means no medi-ray but no weapons, Helios would only scan, Carrier would only be ammo case and maybe a container breaker, etc., if you want the same with pets it would be quite harder tho.

That would defeat the point.

59 minutes ago, VanFanel1980mx said:

DE wouldn't let us have immortal sentinels at no cost, the only other solution would be the Reawaken mod turning into universal like Vacuum did and then give Djinn something good in exchange.

DE "wouldn't let us" have vacuum on pets for years too. Eventually they caved, and does anyone think the game is worse for it?

Edited by SordidDreams
  • Like 2

This idea is a older one and I  completely agree with it and here are my points:

-With Medi pet mods bleedout time lasts long for your companion to never actually  die. 

-In high lvl missions ,including  newer boss fights companions are downed most of times no matter what mods and how many forma you have on them.That all just makes them pain to play with and ruins your gameplay with reviving them all the time and driving  you away from actual objective. 

-Pets ai is just bad and you have zero control over them. They often tend to  die half way across map by falling behind  you. 

-If sentinel dies, players generally  won't  continue and kill themselves to get their sentinel back. 

Make companions invincible and lower their mod slots to like 5-6.This can't  break the game, it will only make it more enjoyable. 

• Like 3

I have been suggesting many times, but give Sentinels a base "regeneration time" of maybe 60 seconds, which activates upon Sentinel Death and recreates the sentinel at the end of the timer. Mods like regen will simply cut down this regeneration timer, maybe to ~40 seconds for the normal regen and ~20 seconds for the prime. Also, when Sentinels "regenerate", they gain an invuln window similar to what regen does now, with regen and primed regen making this window last longer (the countdown to regeneration starts immediately upon regeneration, so essentially your sentinel downtime, assuming it gets one shot the moment invuln goes down, is regeneration time - invulnerable time).

Then Djinn's reawaken simply has to function like the regen and primed regen we have now - make the sentinel instantly revive upon death, once per regen timer. That way, it gives Djinn another utility. And of course, make it so that mods like Self Destruct, Sacrifice and Spare Parts work once PER regeneration.

11 hours ago, SordidDreams said:

DE "wouldn't let us" have vacuum on pets for years too. Eventually they caved, and does anyone think the game is worse for it?

Man, I am with you on this, I just came back from soloing the Exploiter Orb with a frame that kind of makes it easier and I am afraid DE will do something to ruin it because I don't even know what's their idea of how the game has to be played (looking at how they negated shattering impact on Profit Taker), I just want to be able to tackle the game in different ways instead of always having to play the same way every mission.

• Like 2

On 2019-03-15 at 2:43 PM, VanFanel1980mx said:

I've suggested in the past a 'support pack' item that's equipped in place of a companion and just has like 4 slots or something in it, and all it does is hold robotic mods. Guardian, Vacuum, Animal Instinct, etc. For people who don't want to feck about with companions and how they die all the time, but would like to have some, if not all of their benefits. So you get less slots, but don't have to worry about keeping your walking mod-carrier alive.

• Like 2