Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Please don't do any new Umbra warframe alternative

Rathalio

We are alreading getting hand on "Umbral forma", we have already have prime variants for our warframes.

When Umbral forma became official I was really happy to see that DE chosed this option to make "Umbral mods" more relevant. But I was sure that it also means that there will not be new Umbral warframes since there is less and less interest to make them.

For me, Umbra excalibur has been well intergrated into warframe lore I have nothing bad to say about this don't get me wrong.

Let's be honest, the only difference between Umbra and a normal warframe is a meaningless upgrade on stats and a new unique passive. (a good passive yes ! but far from being a must have !)

I don't think it will be a nice thing to get a new third variant of a warframe. Excalibur Umbra is ok because he has a story explaining why he exists and also does not really say that more Umbras should ever exist. Also as I said before, "Umbral mods" can already be used on any warframe with the new "Umbral formas" so Umbral variants for warframe can't be justified by the existence of these "Umbral mods". If some warframe players just want to have this "cool looking" scarf and stuff just make it a syandana, armor or any cosmetic !

I hope DE could take their energy they are using to think about making new Umbras and put it on designing new quests for new warframes or think about the orignal form of Valkyr (having a prime one looking like this is a bit weird but that's a little detail I admit) or maybe if Nidus gets one a prime one day, will it be the same as it is now or not ? since we don't really now if the warframe we have actually is really his original form and prime are the original variants of warframes used in the old war then "classic" tenno version copies a bit less stronger because of a little loss of datas between war era and now.

I really think I am not alone with this feeling here, already many friends kinda have the same feeling and so I had to explain our disappointment.

Anyway, I am enjoying much this game for the rest but I want to protect it from bad ideas (if you allow me to say it might be one).

If you agree with that please try to make it a thing and so DE can think again about this !

PS : I you don't understand why I'm asking it know check the devstream #125 overview last notes.

• Like 1

I wouldn't worry about new Umbras too much

They would end up pissing way too many people off when they finished the run of Umbras just short of way too many peoples favorite frame. So if they do go the Umbra rout they really need to do every frame and that is a metric ton of work. 

Umbra forma on the other hand make Umbra Mods (likely a staple of Tau) relevant across the board, keeps everyone from feeling slighted and is also the path of least resistance. So I wouldn't be to surprised if they kinda back away from the Umbra frames and just go with the Umbral Forma. 

Course who knows maybe they push through with it in which case good luck and god speed. Cause they gonna have a lot of angry people on their hands 😛

My only real hope at this point is that we get a Multi-Polarity system, which was what I was really hoping for in todays Devstream but all they covered was adding forma to a weapon/frame opening an additional energy color slot..... wooooo~ lol

• Like 2

I just want the Umbra aesthetic for some warframes. It could be an Umbra deluxe skin for all I care, but I want to see Umbra Ash, Umbra Rhino, Umbra Nyx, Umbra Loki, Umbra Trinity, and Umbra Nekros. I care about the aesthetic more than anything, so I'd be fine with skins. But I don't want Umbra to be the only frame with the Umbra aesthetic (cloth, Umbra symbols, etc.).

Personally I've always wanted a Vandal Warframe. Given that the Corpus have been doing extensive testing on sentients I don't think having a Mag Vandal with sentient polarities would be a huge stretch. It could also introduce Umbral Redirection and /or Umbral Stretch (as neither has a Primed variant).

@Oreades I really hope that will be the case but it needs to be clear 😉

il y a 32 minutes, (PS4)FriendSharkey a dit :

I think they should add a umbra effect to a Prime frame if a player can get 3 umbra forma on to it..Not all the time..but, if the player is in a jam it might proc the frame into life like Umbra for a short duration if the operator's life is seriously depleted so it can protect them...

Why not that sounds like a good balance !

Edited by Rathalio

1 hour ago, Oreades said:

I wouldn't worry about new Umbras too much

They would end up pissing way too many people off when they finished the run of Umbras just short of way too many peoples favorite frame. So if they do go the Umbra rout they really need to do every frame and that is a metric ton of work. 

Umbra forma on the other hand make Umbra Mods (likely a staple of Tau) relevant across the board, keeps everyone from feeling slighted and is also the path of least resistance. So I wouldn't be to surprised if they kinda back away from the Umbra frames and just go with the Umbral Forma. 

Course who knows maybe they push through with it in which case good luck and god speed. Cause they gonna have a lot of angry people on their hands 😛

My only real hope at this point is that we get a Multi-Polarity system, which was what I was really hoping for in todays Devstream but all they covered was adding forma to a weapon/frame opening an additional energy color slot..... wooooo~ lol

Exept DE outright stated that there are going to be more Umbras beyond Excalibur and that not every Frame would get one(most likely the first 8 or maybe the first 16 if we are lucky). To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if Umbras had the exact same stats as the defaults as a way to differentiate them from the Prime versions, with Excal being the exception because Excalibur Prime is not available to anyone who isn't a founder.

hace 10 horas, Rathalio dijo:

We are alreading getting hand on "Umbral forma", we have already have prime variants for our warframes.

When Umbral forma became official I was really happy to see that DE chosed this option to make "Umbral mods" more relevant. But I was sure that it also means that there will not be new Umbral warframes since there is less and less interest to make them.

For me, Umbra excalibur has been well intergrated into warframe lore I have nothing bad to say about this don't get me wrong.

Let's be honest, the only difference between Umbra and a normal warframe is a meaningless upgrade on stats and a new unique passive. (a good passive yes ! but far from being a must have !)

I don't think it will be a nice thing to get a new third variant of a warframe. Excalibur Umbra is ok because he has a story explaining why he exists and also does not really say that more Umbras should ever exist. Also as I said before, "Umbral mods" can already be used on any warframe with the new "Umbral formas" so Umbral variants for warframe can't be justified by the existence of these "Umbral mods". If some warframe players just want to have this "cool looking" scarf and stuff just make it a syandana, armor or any cosmetic !

I hope DE could take their energy they are using to think about making new Umbras and put it on designing new quests for new warframes or think about the orignal form of Valkyr (having a prime one looking like this is a bit weird but that's a little detail I admit) or maybe if Nidus gets one a prime one day, will it be the same as it is now or not ? since we don't really now if the warframe we have actually is really his original form and prime are the original variants of warframes used in the old war then "classic" tenno version copies a bit less stronger because of a little loss of datas between war era and now.

I really think I am not alone with this feeling here, already many friends kinda have the same feeling and so I had to explain our disappointment.

Anyway, I am enjoying much this game for the rest but I want to protect it from bad ideas (if you allow me to say it might be one).

If you agree with that please try to make it a thing and so DE can think again about this !

PS : I you don't understand why I'm asking it know check the devstream #125 overview last notes.

hace 42 minutos, lucius44 dijo:

agreed, we have no need for most Warframes variants, umbral mod and umbral forma are good enough.

Oof... you're really wrong

Why? because basically you are complaining about something that is good for the game (the variation) and also you have not even explained why you do not like it...

il y a 9 minutes, (PS4)StationOfDead a dit :

Oof... you're really wrong

Why? because basically you are complaining about something that is good for the game (the variation) and also you have not even explained why you do not like it...

Lol what... you should read again if you think I didn't explain why it's too bad. New variant based of pratically no difference between orignal ones and only to fills up your inventory with a new toy that makes no sense in the game and give you nearly nothing new in terms of gameplay. If they have to do new umbras, make them new warframes not just a variant with nothing new to bring to us. Also we already have umbral formas to make our frames umbras able to use "umbral mods" properly and so why do more ? there is no reasons here to do it, prime variant already do the job of "a golden warframe with a little upgrade".

The creation of Excalibur Umbra opened up avenues for more problems with the introduction of AFK gameplay and inching up the power creep on already powerful things. Unless they're going to address those problems, I'd rather they not release another Umbra just for them to build new cans to kick down the road. If they do address them, then it wouldn't really resemble Umbra and would just be a Prime but not Prime of an existing frame.

I'd like to see new Umbras.  They're more than just "dark" versions of primes - they're slightly modified and act as specters in their own right.  

Though I hope they leave out scarfs.  I don't play Excal Umbra because I don't like the scarf.  The "tabard" and all the other added bits are nifty though.  Makes me wish they'd touch up Excal Prime with "prime accessories" and make them toggleable on the prime skin (for those that prefer the simple reskin approach) as well as all other skins.

il y a 13 minutes, Lost_Cartographer a dit :

I'd like to see new Umbras.  They're more than just "dark" versions of primes - they're slightly modified and act as specters in their own right.  

Though I hope they leave out scarfs.  I don't play Excal Umbra because I don't like the scarf.  The "tabard" and all the other added bits are nifty though.  Makes me wish they'd touch up Excal Prime with "prime accessories" and make them toggleable on the prime skin (for those that prefer the simple reskin approach) as well as all other skins.

Shouldn't new umbras be only skins ? If the majority who wants new umbras want them for their aspect just do skins instead of a new warframe with nearly nothing new in it. Don't you think it makes sense ?

3 minutes ago, Rathalio said:

Shouldn't new umbras be only skins ? If the majority who wants new umbras want them for their aspect just do skins instead of a new warframe with nearly nothing new in it. Don't you think it makes sense ?

The current established expectation is that Umbras come with variant abilities (Excal U's Radial Roar for example) and double as specters in operator form.  Though because of the availability of Excalibur Prime, how their stats pan out next to their Prime counterparts out is still up in the air.

If “Umbra” is a Warframe that can act on its own and its inability to move then Operator is not in control is not a result of being brain dead puppets, but because of a restraining bolt (something that Orokin would do)...

Why not add an upgrade that will let a non Prime frame to move? If this upgrade will require an extensive research for each individual frame, DE can release them one at a time and even tweak some abilities. Add a stat boost on top and vanilla frames will no longer gather dust in Arsenal.

Of course, this will open another can of worms: why Prime frames can not be “freed” (they are brain dead, sorry, no chance of Rhino Prime doing its thing on Lua) and how long some alliances will last after a hungry Nidus stroll around the Syndicate base on its own... And this will do nothing to solve "you did not Umbrad my favorite, pitchforks" dilemma.

Edited by rand0mname

On the other hand, I would like to see more Umbra Warframes stories, just not at the pace others would like, maybe 1 every 3++ years, scattered enough that it matters to new and old players.

I don't even want more Warframe variants, just more painful stories.

• Like 1

If you check what they said on devstream #125, they actually have no intentions to work on new umbras's lore & stories if they make them so I bet you understand why I see no reasons to do it.

Citation

We have had internal discussions about creating new Umbra Warframes, but there are no plans yet! It isn’t likely that any new ones would be lore dependent like Excalibur Umbra.

Il y a 3 heures, -AoN-CanoLathra- a dit :

Rhino Umbra is already in the lore.

🤣

Edited by Rathalio

3 hours ago, Rathalio said:
7 hours ago, -AoN-CanoLathra- said:

Rhino Umbra is already in the lore.

🤣 

Do you not believe me? Or are you laughing at something else? A single emoji is typically a rather sparse response, so I'm not sure how to take this.

Anyway, just look at Rhino Prime's Codex entry if you don't believe me. It outlines the existence of a Rhino Umbra quite well. Here's a link if you can't view it in-game: Rhino Prime