Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nightwave + alerts removal feedback

SilverBones

Well, to the stated topic - we need better handling of individual extractions / disconnects. I think DE's working on it.

A few disjointed thoughts...

I don't have major gripes with these Nightwave challenges, and I don't plan to complete them all... I didn't do last weeks Sortie with friends... I could ask someone in the clan, but I usually do sorties when most of the members are offline, and, well, so far I've been perfectly fine with public matchmaking. I didn't do the Hydrolyst, because I just fought my first Teralyst last week. It's out of my league yet, and that's fair.

I don't plan on doing this week's Survivals... maybe I would, if I ever did Kuva survival before, but I haven't completed a single node of Kuva Fortress yet. So... whatever. I find 60 minutes to be too much. The Anniversary 30-min survivals were kinda fun, but as a one-off thing, and that's as long as I'm willing to go. Having this challenge as a reward for dedicated players? Maybe, why not. But I don't care to do it. I'd prefer challenges that can be done in several runs instead.

The Orb Vallis conservation challenge? I might try it. I haven't done conservation before. Just like I didn't do Sanctuary Onslaught before the first week of Nightwave. I like that it encourages me to do new things. I don't play much, and was too hooked up on Sorties before Nightwave launched. And before Sorties, I was hooked up on Alerts (for hoarding credits mostly), which I didn't really like, because it blocked map progression, quests and normal mission rewards.

Edited by ArgusXen

hace 2 minutos, Tellakey dijo:

Reread OP.

"Defeatist attitude..."

Thats why i write motivational comments each fe mins. Like "first quart mates, lets keep going", or "half match dudes, its almost done...". Maybe Im a natural leader and didnt know it until now lol. 

(No, im not a leader at all xDDDD)

I think the amount of weekly challenge is good, also the "daily" are fine too, at least for the point given.

But that's true that when you've done all your challenges of the week and the daily, you have "nothing" to do properly to rise those points. Personnaly I'm very excited to get the wolf armor and the weapon augments, but for the armor I'll have to spend like... 2 month ? That extremly demotivating indeed.

i think the main "issue" is not arround the challenge / act system, but on the side story, where actually we have litterally nothing except rng stormtrooper attacking us without any kind of explaination of whatever is happening. Why do we have to eliminate those fugitive, depsite of the gameplay mecanic, why does the wolf attacks us, who are we working for by capturing those fugitive, grineers ? To me it's there where the real "matter" is, we have a nice alternative to the old alert system where you have to be awaken to get the drops, but still the invasions works that way, when a catalyst-invasion spawn it stay for less than one hour. But to be honnest, this issue doesn't come from the Nightwave, we realize it because our alert-screen is now blank and that's it.

So my conclusion about the nightwave mecanic is that it's very good, but the lore-side of the nightwave is very very very lacky. (I know it's the start, but we've been SO MUCH teased and keep beeing teased ingame by that Nora about cool things but are actually not able to do anything ?)

Returning farming nightwave points for now.

6 hours ago, (NSW)Ace-Bounty-Hunter said:

I'm afraid you're in the minority there. Only a minor percentage of the community likes or even participates in the Conclave. I guarantee that if DE start adding Nightwave challenges to it, the forums will literally implode from the vast amounts of nerdrage. 

It would be neat if DE encouraged PvP gameplay somehow. As it currently stands, players like me have to choose between progressing in nightwave or do the content we enjoy and miss out on its rewards, which actually can discourage players from doing pvp even more than the current system already doea given how unrewarding conclave is for how challenging it can get.

Also, if you read Legacy's comment (and if i'm reading it right) it's looking for an alternative to get the same amount of standing, something along the lines of "play 1 hour of survival with a friend OR play 30 minutes of conclave", so there's no reason for the anti pvp players to get triggered if this got added other than their own childishness, which is just a personal issue at that point.

Also, quoting @[DE]Bear's words in OP:

"In the end, we wanted to make a series of challenges that spoke to every type of player, but we do not want to do so at the cost of enjoyment overall."

Yet PvP players, are clearly being left out of this whole system.

Edited by Stormdragon
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, --END--Rikutatis said:

I completely agree and would love to see that. But for exactly the reasons I outlined in my post, DE has refused to start any game mode above lvl 60 in the past year, even game modes that were originally meant to be "veteran" content like ESO and Arbitrations. Even sortie 3 and kuva flood have a starting level higher than that as you said.

To make matters worse, they messed with Arbitrations enemy scaling, so you'll get much higher enemy levels (and much faster) by doing a normal Starchart endless mission than by doing an Arbitration, which was supposed to be veteran content.

That's nonsense and a false narrative that has been tossed around in these forums. Alerts is a 6 year old system. It just happened that over the years, it fell to the wayside and became something only used by new players for the most part. The devs clearly want Alerts/Nightwave to be a system that is interesting and valuable to both new and veteran players though. They just need to find the right balance there. Umbral forma, arcane energize and stuff like that is clearly not rewards aimed at "beginning to intermediate" level players. It's endgame stuff for people that really want to min-max their builds to the extreme. There's no reason why a brand new player would need umbral forma or even arcanes. 

They did mention in a dev stream that selectable difficulty are in the cards. So we will have to wait and see. But endurance runs are just that. It tests our endurance. It is not difficulty. 

But nightwave IS a replacement for alerts. Checl the workshop post, it clearly says "why we are getting rid of Alerts and what we are replacing them with!" Just like with the alerts, new players will do all the alert/spend wolf cred to gather the cosmetics, resources, and potatoes, while long term players will mostly just go for nitain and potatoes. The inclusion of powerful rewards in the tier system is to introduce them to players who doesn't know they had previously existed. For example, arcanes are obtained in 1 location only, and if a player gets his first energize from nightwave, then he can find out how beneficial they are and go farm for the rest of the set. Steve also mentioned that umbral forma will likely not be exclusive to nightwave (farm for them in tau perhaps?) Also, no matter the player level, it is always good to reward them with something good, because we will eventually find a use for it. 

OK to put my 2cents into this in a more short way and not with that massive wall of quotes, here my suggestion:

- First, change the "wolf creds" into something like "alert creds" or "Nightwave creds" (you will see why)

- Second would be either gives us "some" creds with every challenge we finished OR every rank up, no mather which rank.

- DONT let this creds expire. You can mayyyybe set back the rank every now and then (meaning after "every event") but let us keep at least SOME effort.

What was the idea behind this:

In another word, think about how ducats work in WF, thats pretty much the idea i have here. Nightwave gives us daily n weekly challenges we should also be able to do and they shouldnt feel like a torture - no srsly, 1 hour a survival mission is just way over the head, just think about how many alerts you COULD have done and WHAT you would have gotten in the same time in the old alert system - i can sure tell you more then a "half rank up" for some girl on da radio...

So with every alert we do (or rank up), we get some creds, which we also keep and doesnt expire, and we can "choose our own reward" after we did a alert or 2. Of course, if that should be the case, the prices for items should get fixed but then again i dont get it that a "ultra rare" material like nitain extract is sold for just 15 wolf creds in a pack of 5 (no srsly, wasnt the whole joke about this said material that it was "RARE"???).

So in short: make the currency we get from nightwave stay forever so we can SAVE it, dont let it expire and let us get "some" of it after every alert.

1 minute ago, (XB1)EternalDrk Mako said:

honestly i like nigthwaves and haven't had an issue doing them 

except for animal capture, but thats because im inept at those V_V  

answer 3 questions for yourself:

- Am i a low rank player and/or new to warframe?

- Do i have a job or do i work at least over 6+ hours a day?

- Do i have a girlfriend, wife or family?

if all your answers were NO to this, you might can see where i am going with this...

• Like 1

Quick question, are convicts bugged? I spent some time yesterday doing conservations in Orb Valis for the new critters and they were pretty much always there, capture 3, fly to a new critter spot, 3 more pop-up and so on, none stop.

My map always had 3 convicts in it.

Edit: I mean if it's normal, then I guess we have a much larger source of mastery then I previously believed, if you're wiling to grind until your eyes bleed that is...

Edited by Drivrius

I identify with the initial “meh” reaction to Nightwave.  While I have to go out of my way to do some of the challenges, I haven’t played the game for this long without figuring out my own tasking so this is just a to do list with free stuff at the end.  Not really an “alert” system, but a world quest system. It gives the same stuff, better even, for equivalent effort for the rewards spread over a 72 hour window rather than keeping the player on call.  It should be judged on that basis, not on the standard of “Omg, I have to friend someone and play with them?! System sux.” Its fine and it does what its suppose to, but that doesn’t mean it couldn’t be better.

Completion debt

The system actually allows new players to use it without having to go through a rep grind while showing them why they need to get stories, amps, and other spoiler laden things unlocked.  Is it perfect? No. It directly tells them what they are going to miss out on cause they don’t have access to the kuva fortress. I don’t have a problem with this because I see it as necessary, but the only friends that survive the NPE of Warframe are the ones that got carried through the Second Dream and War Within as fast as possible before they lost interest.  The issue transcends Nightwave.

I think the 10 week cycle for these 30 reward tiers is too long.  If a player wants the later tiers and gets behind, they have no incentive to care and that could backfire.  Its 10 weeks a player could fall behind and be more discouraged then encouraged to play. I suggest making the overall cycle shorter.  Players that miss weeks can catch up on the rotation when everyone is set back to zero and don’t have to make special effort to ensure they don’t fall behind the curve.  The rewards could occur in cycles with different big shinies at the end. I’m not saying give us more stuff. You do have to weigh that with the issue of ensuring that everyone is invested in completing each Nightwave, ensuring the smaller reward rotation retains broad enough appeal.

Reverse physiology

If you wanted to make a system where the players can see the elite objectives as optional and they don’t need to complete it to hit the finial rank of the reward ladder, it needs to be communicated more explicitly.  Not everyone will read the design intent from a devstream, a smaller set will believe it at face value (knowing the risks of failure), and even a smaller set will actually do the math. They are after all, doing work to see if they don’t have to do work, the challenges.

My suggestion is demonstrate this up front with a token or system that allows a player to auto complete say, one objective per week.  Can’t do tridolon or sit for an hour because of IRL reason and have no friends to carry you? Check it off. This way at the end of the week, the player can be safe in the knowledge that everything is checked off.  

Hit squads

The other issue I have has been the long standing problem with the invasion system.  Stalker and its ilk cannot appear in Sorties or the open worlds where I know I spend a lot of my time.  Combine that with endless missions, ESO, and Arbitration and you get a ridiculously low chance of ever seeing the Wolf, or anyone else for that matter.  I don’t like this because it feels like I’m changing my mission diet to something pointless just to RNG fish for invaders. Was that the intent?

My biggest problem with Nightwave are the lore implications. I'm beginning to wonder if the star-child was conditioned to do and kill whatever they were told. Aunt Nora shows up out of nowhere and wields the power of an army of player characters? Where have I seen this before?

Edited by Sahysa
Ment to say war within
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Tellakey said:

I already have a clan. And it's very active. I'm just saying that this circumstance isn't exclusive to non-clan squads.

Great, now clan actually can have some purpose instead of nobody talking at all, waiting on other clan members to finish researches or joining to grab a bp and leaving.

I literally had zero issues with this. get 2-3 ppl from friendlist/clan/alliance and u gonna make it.

TLDR; Warframe has always let me play how I want and then trade or buy the rewards for what I dont like to do.

NW forces me to play content thats unfun, and distracts from what I DO want to do in the game. Its forced, because there are unique rewards that cannot be traded for, and basic resources (nitain) thats mostly impossible to get otherwise.

This is a change in how the game I love is being run. Please reconsider completely removing nightwatch and putting the GOOD parts of it (ie pay for what you want store) into the old Alerts system (and remove alert rewards - turning them into Wolf cred).

The more I play this the more I see whats wrong with it.

Newbies get locked out of some of the missions - Hydrolyst, sorties, survivals etc etc. Give them an alternate mission or give us the chance to re-roll the elites. It would be nice to have an alternative to still get credit , but pass on the mission, like pay 5 relics or 10 ducats or something, they still get credit for it, but dont have to do it. - They are paying their time in another form of currency.

Heroes of the storm learned this the hard way when all the vs AI people began queuing for pvp and pissed off the pvpers. - Dont dangle a reward in front of someone who isnt equipped to handle or feel comfortable doing it - they will do it because they feel forced to,and the people they group with might not be so forgiving of their lack of skills. 

Soloers get slapped in the face with friend and clan requirements

Long time players already have most of the rewards and prob will only be interested in the potatoes or maybe a skin?

Casuals will never be able to get enough tiers because they probably cant play daily or have restricted playtimes, maybe  6 hours one day, no hours or 1 hour the next etc etc. - The time gate and slow drip designed to keep people logging in everyday is hurting those who may have otherwise been able to complete everything if it werent set to a very tight schedule.

Players who are in the middle mastery, high enough skill and levels to not be considered a newbie, too low to be able to do the stuff in the expert weeklies so they wouldnt be able to hit tier 30 even if they had enough time.

I'd love to hit tier 30, I happen to qualify for a few of the issues mentioned above. I think I have enough time to do the tedious ones, but I dont have the skill level and play solo ( most of my clan is on vacation or have different play times as I do). At the rate I am able to finish the missions, I will be lucky to hit tier 25, despite probably having the time to grind stuff. I prefer to solo 99% of the time and use the auto group function for group activities. I'm also not skilled or geared up enough to take on Hydrolysts or the crazy marathon survival missions.

Not really enjoying nightwave at all. I posted this in the other thread, but not sure if its being read by DE or not, so I also am posting in this thread.

Edited by Wrenzer

Thanks for making this thread. I'm relatively new to the game (as you can tell from being a switch player) but for the most part I like the system. I've actually tried eidolon hunt because of it, and while I was not successful it was great to try something new and learn everything the game has to offer.

Personally, I don't think you will ever find something that everyone likes. It is totally fine for there to be challenges that not everyone wants to do because they don't enjoy that content while others will do those. Not everything need to be done in this type of game 

Also,for those saying that "it's too late to give feedback,it's been one WHOLE week"... What are you talking about? 1 week is a perfectly acceptable time to ask for feedback. Enough time for us to really get a sense of the system and enough time to get the weekly reset to see other kinds of challenges. Chill out, DE is being great about seeing what we want. No need to be nasty, most developers wouldn't care to ask or listen.

First and foremost, I love the addition of nightwave. There are a few main things I (and people I've talked to) want to see. We came together to try to keep it balanced. #1, the wolf should give standing. #2, capture fugitive missions that give 50 standing, even if it's a 5 min mission, I'd love something like that to grind. Something that doesn't cap standing. I say only 50 to keep it balanced. Could be tied into sub lore? #3 the way it was explained it on the dev stream, every reward after you prestige gives you wolf cred, maybe make every other one a normal reward, the normal ones like forma, kuva, the weapon/warframe slots, keep 1 umbra forma but maybe make it tier 10? Also a prestige emblem and sigil possibly? I know many are against the friend challenges but I understand the point. It encourages players to meet new players which overall I believe helps the community. 

*major xbox bug*

For friend missions, the sortie in week one and the current survival, only the host gets the reward. Clan does work for all but friend does not. 

Thank you for reading

The survival challenge is nothing but tedious for some People while too hard for others. There's nothing special about sitting 60 Min in a mission if u got the gear for it other then trying not to get bored or not to get our time wasted by a troll that finds it funny to trigger life support near the end or someone even does it by accident. And if you don't make it you only end up wasting your time and not everyone wants to try to go for 1 hour multiple times especially when they have no need for Kuva (and you don't get much out of it for 1 hour of farming).

Some people simply don't enjoy sitting that long in a Mission without a Reward worth their time, in my case even i have ADHD, i'm on medications and i simply cant focus enough to go trough an entire hour just to get the Nightwave rep without screwing with my entire team. Its nothing but painful and even tough we are not required to do everything to get everything its just dumb if i have to skip everything that is aimed at endurance people as that is just gonna reduce the Buffer i have to get everything (as well as make me get less creds for going over 30 which means i can get less of potential exclusive Items like the Wolf of Saturn decoration) when Things can happen that render me completely unable to play/do challenges so it only gets worse (Important IRL stuff, accidents, illness, etc.) and i potentially might just not get everything cause of that just feels unfair.

If we have Challenges aimed at specific People i could also ask why not something like play 3 Conclave Games or do x Archwing Mission 3 Times and People would probaly hate it more then 1 Hour of Survival cause they dont like it even if it would be way easier to do. Nobody should be completly forced out of their Comfort Zone or excluded cause of Challenges.

Challenges should be aimed at all People and not at specific player types, in the old alert system the only required thing to do Alerts was starchart progress (or u could even ask someone to taxi u over) and nothing else. I wouldn't mind it at all if all the time spent would count up or could be done in pieces like x C Rotations or 1 maybe even shorter Endurance Run (and maybe a special mission where Life Support is disabled or count up the Time if someone activates one if we get this condition again) but locking ~1/4 of the Rep available the entire week behind 1 hour of survival (considering u don't screw up) is just not ok. (This also further disadvantages newer players/lower MR players as they cant solo it and might not find a group that easily due to their Gear).

The play with a friend/clanmate challenges should either be changed to playing public or to something completely different as there is no point for them existing when we just end up with people grouping up with the help of recruitment chat. It has nothing to do with friends when its just 2 random people adding each other just do to the challenge and then probably unfriend afterwards.

Ayatan felt like to much for the Update being dropped Midweek aswell as the Fact getting Ayatans is completely depending on RNG outside of the 1 u get from Maroo each Week. Ofc its easier for people that have Arbitrations unlocked but that doesn't make it more fair for People who don't. Lowering the Ayatans required to fill might already fix the Problem for most People. (Also considering some people are probably stockpiling now instead of immediately filling them after we had the Challenge)

2 hours ago, XzWasPzX said:

"Defeatist attitude..."

Thats why i write motivational comments each fe mins. Like "first quart mates, lets keep going", or "half match dudes, its almost done...". Maybe Im a natural leader and didnt know it until now lol. 

(No, im not a leader at all xDDDD)

You actually addressed it! I love you 😄

5 minutes ago, (NSW)SantCruz said:

Also,for those saying that "it's too late to give feedback,it's been one WHOLE week"... What are you talking about? 1 week is a perfectly acceptable time to ask for feedback. Enough time for us to really get a sense of the system and enough time to get the weekly reset to see other kinds of challenges. Chill out, DE is being great about seeing what we want. No need to be nasty, most developers wouldn't care to ask or listen.

I believe that for this whole season all challenges in the pool are set in stone, so everyone who gives feedback should not expect to see any changes to challenges for the duration of "The Wolf of Saturn six".

I mean we have this line in the opening thread "We will be applying what we have learned to Nightwave Series 2"

The only thing they may or may not do is add a week or 2 at the end of this event.

With that in mind we probably shouldn't be here next week, when another "complete with a friend or clanmate" mission will likely appear, asking why it wasn't removed or reworked yet.

This is basically a test run, we'll face all the challenges in the current pool, just don't expect any fixes for the next *does quick math*: 2 and half months!? Ouch...

• Like 1

Simply put, sitting for a 1 hour survival session without any downtime is, even with friends, incredibly draining on my will to play.

The Ayatan sculptures challenge was not a problem for me, but were a nasty surprise to a friend of mine who was going after every bit of endo he could get to max out his primed mods.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Drivrius said:

I believe that for this whole season all challenges in the pool are set in stone, so everyone who gives feedback should not expect to see any changes to challenges for the duration of "The Wolf of Saturn six".

I mean we have this line in the opening thread "We will be applying what we have learned to Nightwave Series 2"

The only thing they may or may not do is add a week or 2 at the end of this event.

With that in mind we probably shouldn't be here next week, when another "complete with a friend or clanmate" mission will likely appear, asking why it wasn't removed or reworked yet.

This is basically a test run, we'll face all the challenges in the current pool, just don't expect any fixes for the next *does quick math*: 2 and half months!? Ouch...

Sure, makes sense. There was no way to give feedback before implementing the system for us to consume so we can provide feedback so it had to be done like this to an extent. In that sense, they are asking at a good time. Very few things in life come together well in their very first iteration. We all should have expected some issues. The issue isn't giving criticism, that's part of the point, but I've read a few posts here where people seem to be demonizing the team simply for going through expected growing pains. 

Edited by (NSW)SantCruz
  • Like 1

If you want to keep the "elite" part maybe you can just make it more subtle, make the hardest mission a bit more accesible and put the challenging part as a bonus. So rather than all or nothing, players can have some "progression".

For exemple, the kuva survival challenge can be "survive 30min without utilizing air capsules in kuva survival" for 3500 xp, and then add the 30min extra as a bonus to get you the maximum possible, 5000 xp. Same for week 1, rather than kill/cap hydrolyst for 5000 xp or nothing. Make kill/capture gantulyst 3500xp and a bonus 1500xp for doing hydrolyst.

And I think the UI needs more work, it doesn't feel right putting the "eltie challenges" with the normal ones together. For people who can't complete the "elite challenges", every time they open the saturn six window it must feel really annoying that the first thing they see is a big square mission marker telling you you didn't completed that. But its an "elite mission" !

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, (NSW)SantCruz said:

Sure, makes sense. There was no way to give feedback before implementing the system for us to consume so we can provide feedback so it had to be done like this to an extent. In that sense, they are asking at a good time. Very few things in life come together well in their very first iteration. We all should have expected some issues. The issue isn't giving criticism, that's part of the point, but I've read a few posts here where people seem to be demonizing the team simply for going through expected growing pains. 

I agree, which is why I point out that they can give all the feedback they want, just don't expect quick reworks/fixes, they've told us it wasn't in the cards.

The only way to ensure your safety is to do it by yourself, with a friend, or with someone you're sure has the exact same goal as you, to finish the weekly. Personally, if you're only doing the kuva one, I'd just solo it to be sure.

Edited by Skaleek

A shortened version of my feedback in other places, plus a little extra:

• Slot 3 Ayatans in a week instead of 5, or make it an Elite Act.
  • Reduce Survival time requirement from 60 minutes to 40 minutes. That's still double the length most people normally stay.
  • Allow groups formed from clan alliances and possibly general recruiting to count in addition to friends and clanmates. (Play with allies instead of play with friends)
  • Consider allowing alerts to return in a modified form. (See spoiler for details about what I think would work and why)
Spoiler

Nightwave's strongest point is alleviating 'snooze-you-lose' RNG. The strongest points of the old alert system were ease of matchmaking for public groups and friendliness to newbies (via the aforementioned matchmaking and making certain needed resources available for them earlier in the star chart). Given that they somewhat target different things, I think Nightwave and the old alerts system could exist just fine in the same space with some adjustments. It's technically still in the game code, because DE can still push Gift of the Lotus alerts and other special cases. The way I would envision it working is like this:

There would be 4 tiers of alerts, much like that of void fissures, with up to 6 available at a time. Tiers 1 and 2 could have up to 2 alerts going at a time, while tiers 3 and 4 would have one each. The bottom two tiers would offer varying amounts of credits along with some amount of a resource that drops on a planet with enemies in the tier 3 or 4 range, respectively. Obviously, the lower tier alerts would be mostly skippable for veteran players, but they would be a boon to newbies. Tier 3 and 4 alerts would offer some amount of Nightwave creds or standing (one or the other, not both). This would correct for the net loss in reward-for-play when comparing alerts to the creds store, either by directly adding to the number of creds players can get, or allowing more players to reach rank 30 and potentially gain more credits via prestiging.

After you do an alert, it disappears for you and you cannot earn the reward again by repeating it with someone else (traditional alert behavior), so DE could easily balance this concept by changing the length alerts stick around. Maybe they refresh every 4 hours instead of hourly, because most of the trivial/trash/one-time drops (with respect to your level of progression) have been taken out of rotation.

Edited by Tzolkat
Clarification
  • Like 2

I really liked that I was able to do many challenges in one mission by being prepared and clever. I don't like that the cosmetics available rotated out weekly, without warning, resulting in me buying the desert camo tonkor skin, but missing the atterax camo skin.

The 10 perfect captures was grindy. I was ready to be done after 4 and was falling asleep during the other captures. This was my biggest gripe. People may have complained about the 60m survivals, but at least we get 10k rep for 60m of work. I did about 90m of work for the ten perfect captures and only got 3k rep. That felt bad.

I made about 2k platinum off selling unsocketed ayatans at 15~20p a piece. Your challenge inadvertently made people like me (i dont need endo) able to corner the market and make a profit. I liked this, i doubt other people liked it though.

Edited by Skaleek
  • Like 1