Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Give players choices in melee

AltheusV

With all of the controversy generated by the new melee system I've come up with a radical idea: Let us choose the features of melee combat that we want.

We need options for things like:

Autoblock or manual block

Channeling via button press, toggle or not at all

Slam attacks, straight down or directional (I liked being able to drop zephyr straight down).

Weapon switching, quick or key driven

Stances, quick melee or full combos (This could be solved by releasing stances that have nothing but quick melee attacks in them).

This way people can use the new features that they want and avoid those they don't.

• Like 2

No. One system or none. Both systems accessible for everyone is just a way to overcomplexify the game for no gain. People are angry because it changed, but once they'll get used to it, it'll be fine.

Keep in mind we're not in the final state. It's an intermediate step.

Edited by Chewarette
  • Like 3

I ve only ran a couple missions and i am using a kestrel with a bronco prime but it shows what mode i am in .in bottom right of the square and i have a new rectangle reticule.. I havent used my heavy blade config yet but the glaive and one hander is working well so far....i am still getting used to channel and have seen the glow..i think it makes a sound too

11 minutes ago, MonsterOfMyOwn said:

Now I often have issues figuring out if the channeling is on or off. Tbh a change in the melee crosshair if you're channeling would do the trick.

Appart from that the "random" switch to melee mode is kinda confusing too.

im not sure how its confusing or "random". You either melee or you shoot, there is no melee mode anymore. The change in crosshair for channeling is a good idea, and im not sure why it wasnt implemented, they already changed it for when you have melee out. 

I asked this in another thread, but why does it matte if you autoblock or not? Isnt it good just to have it on all the time since it doesnt actually interfere with your actions? You can still do straight downward slams btw, just aim down? Why do we need weapon swapping outside of primary and secondary when swinging your melee weapon is instant? 

Edited by armedpoop

It needs tweeks sure but its not finsiehd yet, DE does dumb things at times yes, i not defend them fully, but in this seeing all this melee complains it feels like peopel are just salty they not have quick melee anymore, i rather prefer this new change since you actually will use combos now, if you want quick attacks, use speed mods, simple as it is.

Community right now:

Primed+Disappointment.png

Edited by Marine027
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Chewarette said:

No. One system or none. Both systems accessible for everyone is just a way to overcomplexify the game for no gain. People are angry because it changed, but once they'll get used to it, it'll be fine.

Keep in mind we're not in the final state. It's an intermediate step.

Right, then gimme the previous incarnation. Because this one is broken.

Getting used to it doesn't make it fine. You might get used to having one of your feet amputated, but it most certainly is not fine. That's basically the effect that the current melee system has. It hobbles me in combat.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, DoomFruit said:

Getting used to it doesn't make it fine. You might get used to having one of your feet amputated, but it most certainly is not fine. That's basically the effect that the current melee system has. It hobbles me in combat.

Care to elaborate on how it hobbles you?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, armedpoop said:

Care to elaborate on how it hobbles you?

The attack animations for polearms. With quick melee, you could swing constantly while moving freely at full speed in any direction. Now, your character doesn't move as fast as they used to and they completely stop still after the third swing, thus breaking your ability to position yourself or pursue an enemy. And that's with the "best" stance, Shimmering Blight. The other stances are worse, and no stance essentially locks you in place.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DoomFruit said:

The attack animations for polearms. With quick melee, you could swing constantly while moving freely at full speed in any direction. Now, your character doesn't move as fast as they used to and they completely stop still after the third swing, thus breaking your ability to position yourself or pursue an enemy. And that's with the "best" stance, Shimmering Blight. The other stances are worse, and no stance essentially locks you in place.

Remember that this is just Phase 1 of the new melee system. Phase 2 will be handling stances and the removal of channelling. So if it feels weird it's because it's not 100% finished yet. So far I'm really liking it. Probably will take some time getting used to like parkour 2.0.

Edited by (XB1)Shodian
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, (XB1)Shodian said:

Remember that this is just Phase 1 of the new melee system. Phase 2 will be handling stances and the removal of channelling. So if it feels weird it's because it's not 100% finished yet. So far I'm really liking it. Probably will take some time getting used to like parkour 2.0.

Well, I don't see any phase 2 here. I can only comment on what exists.

If something as crucial as melee isn't ready, it should have never been released in the first place.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DoomFruit said:

If something as crucial as melee isn't ready, it should have never been released in the first place. 

If they had released something as crusial as melee in a rehashed version in fully finished form it'd missed the community entirely. The entire point of this is to release it in a way that makes it a smooth transition.

Also don't know what the problem is. When they released it I went out and played, didn't even realise I was using the new system, so smooth was it, but sure if I'd gone out with a weapon like the hirudo I'd have noticed right away because it's a wonky one. To me it is an awesome new system, things just feel right. Sure there's some things to get used to and changes to make, but if you don't like change then you're playing the wrong game because Warframe has always done rather significant changes.

Edited by Ulvra
  • Like 1

Just now, Ulvra said:

If they had released something as crusial as melee in a rehashed version in fully finished form it'd missed the community entirely. The entire point of this is to release it in a way that makes it a smooth transition.

Also don't know what the problem is. When they released it I went out and played, didn't even realise I was using the new system, so smooth was it, but sure if I'd gone out with a weapon like the hirudo I'd have noticed right away because it's a wonky one. To me it is an awesome new system, things just feel right. Sure there's some things to get used to and changes to make, but if you don't like change then you're playing the wrong game because Warframe has always done rather significant changes.

But this transition is not smooth. It's like when you do an organ transplant. You either do the whole thing at once or you don't do it at all. You don't leave the patient in a defective state. You don't remove their liver, stitch them back together and kick them out saying that Phase 2 will be great when it finally arrives at Some Point Soon(tm).

Also, I don't see how it would have missed anyone if released in a finished state. Replacing a core system is not likely to go un-noticed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DoomFruit said:

But this transition is not smooth. It's like when you do an organ transplant. You either do the whole thing at once or you don't do it at all. You don't leave the patient in a defective state. You don't remove their liver, stitch them back together and kick them out saying that Phase 2 will be great when it finally arrives at Some Point Soon(tm).

Also, I don't see how it would have missed anyone if released in a finished state. Replacing a core system is not likely to go un-noticed.

You call it defective, but except for hiccups like the scanner bug that's already fixed it's working great on my end. I've yet to see anything that is defective.

The melee system is simply too large, too many questions exist, like how is the flow, how is the feel, what to do about the stances to do the unification that they want. If they try to get all that fitting to begin with then it'll never hit the mark. You're literally complaining about a quarter or third of the thing, saying it's wrong, yet you somehow expect them to be able to do the full thing and make it perfect somehow magically...? They already supposedly missed the mark in regards to you here, so chances are the full thing would have to, yet for me it's just fine. Only problem I've had is that guardian derision doesn't really function as well in current state, but that's one mod out of them all and the entire system. Glaives might also have issues due to their unique mechanics, but those will be ironed out too.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DoomFruit said:

Actuslly its more like replacing both of your legs. You do one leg at a time so you still have one strong leg to help the replaced one get stronger then do the other one. Different people adapt more quicjly than ithers and thats okay. Again, parkour 2.0 was a huge change for many people but over time it started to feel more natural. And melee 3.0 will be the same. It is really nice to have the flow of gun and blade to a nice smooth transition. Though I've only had time to play with long swords cause they are my favorite I'm sure the others aren't as bad. Just need a little more time with them.

• Like 1

Defective points:

-There is no longer any form of melee which lets you move freely while swinging. Because I'm now forced into performing stance dances, all of my swings will result in my character either stopping dead still at some point or launching themself off in some random direction. This ruins any attempts at pursuit or repositioning to either hit more enemies with your swings or to use their still live bodies to block incoming fire. Not only this, but some movements I make will result in an entirely different and wacky combo. I want my movement completely decoupled from my other activities, like shooting or swording. I had that with quick melee. I do not have this any longer.

--There is, however, one exception. Spin attacks. They're unchanged. The last time I remember myself using this many slide attacks was back when focus first came out and I could one shot stealth kill Grineer in huge numbers. So, if DE wanted to encourage more spin spam, then they're certainly on the right track. Nerfs don't just have to be "hard" in the form of stat changes, a "soft" nerf in the form of self-stunlock can be quite effective.

-I can't alt-fire my Corinth directly after using melee, because the sword's forced itself into my hand and will no longer go away on its own volition. Yes, I know, you're going to say "this is a tiny issue, just use the zoom button" and yes, this is what I do. But I didn't have to do this before. It's still worse, even though it's not by much.

-Empty weapons will not automatically reload if you swing your sword because again, it's now occupied your active slot. Another tiny annoyance.

-I can't zoom in while charging a redeemer shot or glaive swing. The gun or x-ray scope is forced out of my hands, there is no longer any zoom and you don't even get a charge shot because the game goes "huh? block button? what?".

-Dedicated melee players (I'm not one of them, that requires you to use stance combos) do not like the lack of manual block control, the hoops you need to jump through in order to block-aimglide (take all your guns off), and I have seen some complaints about channelling's change from hold to toggle (in that they only used it sparingly and deliberately).

And yes, I am complaining about a quarter or a third of the thing. Because we actually had a whole thing only to have it taken away and replaced with a quarter or a third.

EDIT:

1 minute ago, (XB1)Shodian said:

Actuslly its more like replacing both of your legs. You do one leg at a time so you still have one strong leg to help the replaced one get stronger then do the other one. Different people adapt more quicjly than ithers and thats okay. Again, parkour 2.0 was a huge change for many people but over time it started to feel more natural. And melee 3.0 will be the same. It is really nice to have the flow of gun and blade to a nice smooth transition. Though I've only had time to play with long swords cause they are my favorite I'm sure the others aren't as bad. Just need a little more time with them.

Except that in this case, they've cut one leg off and there is no replacement.

Edited by DoomFruit
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, DoomFruit said:

It's not broken. What was broken was the possibility to only Quick Melee without using the stances, it is now fixed, the flaw of the game is WAY better now.

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong I think melee need some fixes rn but don't forget stances, channeling, and mods with more still have each of their own phases to come. tbh I'm pretty sure if we have both old and new system up at the same time its only going to screw the rest of the processes over leading to a bigger mess in the future so we probly gonna have to bare some of it for now.

Defective points

If the system is "defective" it wouldn't work for anyone, that is however not the case. One d-word does not equate another, different does not equate defective.

1) Yes you can't spam the hirudo or similar, but if you have issues with forward motion then it's more a matter of you spamming or using the wrong stance. I've had no issues adapting to this, but you have to think a little differently, or rather you may have to actually think rather than spam. Different not defective.

2) I use spin when I need, I don't feel forced. I've long since gotten tired of spin to win so I will actively chose not to do it and not be murdered by my pinky in my sleep. No change.

3) That might be an issue, but that is an issue mainly of playstyle. I also use the corinth a lot and a lot of other weapons, yet I've not ran into this issue. Different not defective, but could be tuned.

4) If you can't press reload yourself then it's your issue, either of patience or playstyle. Different, not defective and I actually prefer it this way rather than before when my weapon would randomly start to reload for no reason when I didn't want it to.

5) Yes that is an issue, but that is two weapon groups out of the entire mass with unique mechanics that have not been ironed out yet. Two melee groups do not make for the whole system and thus is not representative. Use something different while you wait if it bothers you so much. Defective currently but up for fixing.

6) Dedicated melee players still have manual blocking if they so desire, they just have auto-blocking on top of it too now. If you're a dedicated melee player then why are you bothering to carry a ranged weapon? DE already fixed this issue and I've used it myself to great extent already. This is your loadout or playstyle that's an issue. Different, not defective.

6 minutes ago, Chewarette said:

It's not broken. What was broken was the possibility to only Quick Melee without using the stances, it is now fixed, the flaw of the game is WAY better now.

And why exactly was being able to use quick melee a problem?

EDIT:

1 minute ago, Ulvra said:

If the system is "defective" it wouldn't work for anyone, that is however not the case. One d-word does not equate another, different does not equate defective.

1) Yes you can't spam the hirudo or similar, but if you have issues with forward motion then it's more a matter of you spamming or using the wrong stance. I've had no issues adapting to this, but you have to think a little differently, or rather you may have to actually think rather than spam. Different not defective.

3) That might be an issue, but that is an issue mainly of playstyle. I also use the corinth a lot and a lot of other weapons, yet I've not ran into this issue. Different not defective, but could be tuned.

4) If you can't press reload yourself then it's your issue, either of patience or playstyle. Different, not defective and I actually prefer it this way rather than before when my weapon would randomly start to reload for no reason when I didn't want it to.

5) Yes that is an issue, but that is two weapon groups out of the entire mass with unique mechanics that have not been ironed out yet. Two melee groups do not make for the whole system and thus is not representative. Use something different while you wait if it bothers you so much. Defective currently but up for fixing.

6) Dedicated melee players still have manual blocking if they so desire, they just have auto-blocking on top of it too now. If you're a dedicated melee player then why are you bothering to carry a ranged weapon? DE already fixed this issue and I've used it myself to great extent already. This is your loadout or playstyle that's an issue. Different, not defective.

This system is defective because it contains defects, simple as that.

I use polearms, and I started using them because of several factors: you could run in any direction at full speed while swinging, their attack hitboxes covered a wide area, and they had good range. This is no longer the case. The choice of stance makes little difference here. Each and every single one of them (including no stance) will stop you in your tracks at some point during the combo. Yes, I've tried them all. I now have very noticeably less mobility when in melee combat. This is objectively a downgrade from the previous system. Being able to move freely > not being able to move freely.

Reloading: um, yes, I'm obviously capable of pressing the reload button myself. I did not have to do this before. This is a direct decrease in functionality. It's a small one, but not having the gun go through its reload process just because I swung my sword is objectively worse than how it used to be (where it did reload automatically). The reload process would only ever start itself if the magazine were completely empty. Since reloads will never over-ride another action (you can always switch weapons, swing your sword or use environment objects), there was never any penalty to having the reload start on its own. And yes, I have already mentioned that it's a small issue. But it's still an issue. "Death by a thousand papercuts" is not exactly an uncommon phrase.

Dedicated melee: I admittedly have little experience with this, having never cared for it. I'm just repeating some of the points which others have made.

Edited by DoomFruit
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, DoomFruit said:

This system is defective because it contains defects, simple as that.

Yeeeah that's not how this works. Every single game in existance has bugs and by your logic no game possibly should be released because they're defective. Bugs are fixed, but they need to be known first. The existant of one defect does not equate defective, false equality.

I use polearms too, use them a lot, yet I have no issues with this. If you're running a slow weapon sure it'll stop you dead, but that's an issue of your weapon and no different to how it was before. Polearms have three stances, one which is quite powerful but less vertical and two others that are more vertical, you have options to cover what you need, if it doesn't function for you then review your playstyle. You're complaining about these things yet they're working fine for others.

Reloading is literally no different than it was before, if you used melee mid reload it'd still break your reload and you'd have to do it manually. This is a mute point, the only difference is that the weapon does not sit in your hands, however now you can freely choose which ranged weapon you access from melee directly and thus get to reloading either faster. Better than it was.

As for dedicated melee, things are different, but of course they would be. DE resently reintroduced manual blocking if you have no ranged weapons with you, so if you want to go full melee where you wouldn't have one anyway then you have the option. Now you could argue to bring a rifle along to carry amalgam serration, and I often do, but for those cases I have the option of which to bring, since you literally only bring it for that mod, and thus can adjust my aimglide playstyle to match.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ulvra said:

Yeeeah that's not how this works. Every single game in existance has bugs and by your logic no game possibly should be released because they're defective. Bugs are fixed, but they need to be known first. The existant of one defect does not equate defective, false equality.

I use polearms too, use them a lot, yet I have no issues with this. If you're running a slow weapon sure it'll stop you dead, but that's an issue of your weapon and no different to how it was before. Polearms have three stances, one which is quite powerful but less vertical and two others that are more vertical, you have options to cover what you need, if it doesn't function for you then review your playstyle. You're complaining about these things yet they're working fine for others.

Reloading is literally no different than it was before, if you used melee mid reload it'd still break your reload and you'd have to do it manually. This is a mute point, the only difference is that the weapon does not sit in your hands, however now you can freely choose which ranged weapon you access from melee directly and thus get to reloading either faster. Better than it was.

As for dedicated melee, things are different, but of course they would be. DE resently reintroduced manual blocking if you have no ranged weapons with you, so if you want to go full melee where you wouldn't have one anyway then you have the option. Now you could argue to bring a rifle along to carry amalgam serration, and I often do, but for those cases I have the option of which to bring, since you literally only bring it for that mod, and thus can adjust my aimglide playstyle to match.

Let's rephrase: I consider it defective because it replaced something that worked fairly well with something else which contains a lot of defects, some of which are pretty chronic to me (namely the lack of mobility while striking).

I use the Tonbo and Lesion mostly. They're pretty fast, especially when the Lesion gets its proc bonus. My movement is still very noticeably slower than before. I'm not talking about the attack animations. They actually seem faster. I'm talking about player movement. The fact that your movement gets completely halted during the third strike in shimmering blight and that for a short while you are prevented from moving at all. That's what I'm referring to. This is in fact the best of the four (3 mods & no stance) in terms of mobility, because I "only" get pulled to a dead stop once. It is extremely noticeable for me. I'm no longer able to run down some enemies while swinging (eg. the completely proc, stun or any type of movement debuff-immune capture targets) because of this, and I definitely notice when I can't dodge behind a kuva lardian mid-swing when one of its L80 buddies is lining his Hek up at my face.

And does it really work well for others, or are they just suffering in silence?

Reloading is most certainly not "literally" no different than before. Using melee mid-reload would interrupt it, but it would resume again after a little pause - when the magazine was empty. That is what I'm referring to. The auto-reload on magazine depletion. It's especially jarring on single-round weapons like the Vectis or Exergis. Definitely the latter, because it's a shotgun and you'll be using it at close range where you're more likely to encounter enemies which require a sword in the face.

• Like 1

And does it really work well for others, or are they just suffering in silence?

Well you have multiple people who is arguing against you. You can always count on that people who have negative opinions will speak up, but those who have positive tend to stay silent because they're already content.That's the bias of negativity. Whenever something is up for debate, the negative side will always have a larger skew, therefore it's generally more correct to assume the opposite that most people are content and therefore not bothering to use the energy to argue.

In regards to the reloading, you have the same yet what you're complaining about is the lack of an autoreload that comes delayed anyway and thus wouldn't be around on demand either way.To me that's complaining about a non-issue because at that point I'd have done it manually long ago because I don't like having my weapons unavailable, so I'm most certainly not going to wait for the game to do it for me. This to me is a playstyle issue, not a fault of the system.

For the polearms, I will give you that yes you can't just swing left to right while sprinting forward, however what you get in exchange is often better and gives you more options...

Twirling spire has 4 combos, default, forward, backward and aim. Default has decent forward motion and a slam on third. Forward is one of my most used, decent forward motion, long combo so easy to break early, ends in a slam which can be undesired, but if it is you can break with a slide to reset. Backwards can be clonky to use because of pressing the opposite direction of where you want to go, but actually have slightly better forward motions. Aim has as good forward motion as the forward combo, has no slam included and will easily overwrite.

Shimmering blight is one of the older and will have more options coming in the following phases. As it is it has two combos, default and pause. Default stops you momentarily on the third swing, but not a significant time that it bothers me in my play. Pause combos I never use because they're too difficult to hit when you want them so discount. This leaves this stance only one option and while it's a good option, it's not much to choose from.

Bleeding willow has the same issue of lack of options, it has the default, which also yes does stop you for a brief moment on the third, but nothing that would break my flow. It has two combos, default and pause, but pause again discounted so that leaves one option. Like shimmering blight it will however get massively redone in the coming phases.

I personally use shimmering blight and bleeding willow when the verticality is what I want, while twirling spire is better for everything else, gives more power and more options. Your issue remains that you don't like your stride to be slowed even though it's by a minute amount, but that's really more of a personal issue than an issue with the system. Much may change with the coming phases in regards to individual combo flow, but those have not been touched yet, however it does not make the system broken or defective.

• Like 1

I just got the patch on PS4....

I'm trying to like it, because I like Warframe... but I don't like it at all.

I'll keep trying to "give it a chance" but it's killing my desire to play.

Hide contents

I was all set to buy the Tennocon digital pass for Baro... but if this kills my desire to play... why waste the money?

Melee is what drew me into this game. For years (up until last year when i started) I thought this game was only another shooter (from all the videos I saw) and I hate shooters. I played Destiny as my first shooter to take seriously, mainly because a friend played, and really disliked it, until they added melee weapons that were fun,... but they had ammo... ANYWAY... I probably wouldn't have picked up Warframe if not for Destiny2 suiciding itself and my friend quit playing it so I didn't have to anymore either... and once I saw Warframe with dual-bladed polearms and speed of movement, I was hooked. Dropped Destiny like a hot potato, and never looked back.

Quick-Melee
What I liked about Warframe was the quick-melee fluidity of using Melee as I dashed around without missing a step. That's now lost. Now, it's swing,swing,fancy halting swing... yeah, no. Uninterrupted swings is what felt all ninja-y and fit with the movement and speed of the game - especially in the context of wading through hordes of enemies. Combos might be OK for locking on to single strong targets that benefit from damage multipliers or status effects on certain steps of a combo, but feel entirely out of place when fighting hordes. That's the reason I never used combos.

I never used Guns unless it was a last resort or was strategically beneficial (ranged enemies way out of reach but a real problem, dargyns on plains, Ancient Healers making the front lines nigh-invincible.) For everything else, I was a melee player, and used "guns" only as "quick-guns" on backup (I wonder if shooter-centric people would be as up in arms if guns had "Gun combos" that you were locked into now that altered the rate of fire of your shots and had you stop shooting mid-attack to twirl them around all fancy-like for funsies, like Quick Melee is locked into Combo Melee now...)

Hide contents

I'm told Nunchucks still have a fluid basic combo... (Atlantean something, that I probably don't have) but they're Nunchucks... and that doesn't sound fun to me. Dual bladed polearms are cool (Orthos Prime's design is not cool, but I liked the combat style - will eventually buy the bladed skin rather than the white doorknobs - if its quick melee returns).

Auito-Blocking
Auto-blocking may be saving some of my health, I don't know, but I can understand people's frustration with it. It decides when to interrupt your input. It's like all enemies with ranged attacks suddenly got a "stun warframe" bonus status effect on their attacks, not just the enemies with ragdolls. Before, as Inaros, I could dance through the storm of bullets and then sand-to-face-finisher-restore-my-life without any problems... now, my warframe is suddenly concerned about blocking....

I recently got Primed Sure Footed at 400 days login reward, and even that short blocking animation whenever I would have been ragdolled is annoying for its purpose (but it's far better than the ragdoll effect, so I won't suggest any changes to it.)

Aimed slams... are a mixed bag for me.
I've played around with them... and sure, they're sorta fun. I got used to using ground slams to instantly cut short my jumps so I didn't overshoot ledges and platforms that I wanted to land on... especially in parkour challenge rooms. Now, aimed slams don't guarantee that immediate landing where I want to be. The removal of that tool will take getting used to, I guess. Not happy about it, but not "angry" about it, like the removal of quick melee.

For Melee 3.0 to be a "success":
(as I said as soon as I heard these changes announced and previewed, and hyped)

The first basic combo of every melee stance needs to reflect their old Quick-Melee behavior. (unless changes would make them MORE fluid -  I don't recall by heart from memory, the quick attack pattern of every weapon/stance.) Combos that halt movement should require an additional deliberate button press (a different button than quick melee or movement - both essential to quick melee staying quick melee - preferably block).

Removal of a stance to retain the old behavior is NOT an acceptable option, reducing Mod Capacity. Also, some weapons' default quick melee patterns were not as fluid as some stances' quick melee behavior.

I'd bring back the Block Button somehow. It was integral for more than just blocking, as some mods required use of blocking to trigger effects. There HAS to be a way. Even though I didn't use those, I empathize with those who are now unable to use those mechanics, and can see how vital it was to their success. Removal of Auto-Blocking would also benefit me and my play style, so win/win.

Directional Melee Aiming
One of the PRIMARY reasons I selected Polearms (aside from cool factor and quick-melee attack fluidity) was the quick melee attack pattern sliced a diagonal, striking both flying enemies and crawling enemies without needing to jump attack or slide attack to hit them.

This is the main reason I'm tempted to pull out my gun, to just take those types of enemies out when other melee weapons just won't hit enemies slightly off my very narrow plane of attack. It's not very fun or cool or ninja-y to whiff, slashing at the air, and hit nothing while the little osprey just dances around, a few inches out of reach - and when you try to jump attack, you miss by a mile because your timing was off by a split second, and can't keep slashing? what?

Those are my thoughts.

The goal of Melee 2.999997blahblah was to smooth out the transition from Guns to full combo melee... I never used full combo melee, for a REASON, and these changes force me into it, removing "quick melee" that was much more fluid in actual combat. It's a total fail for my play style.

Until Melee 2.999998, including the return of quick-melee behavior (even if it's just changes to combos), my enjoyment in the game is killed, and so is desire to play, and if not for Nightwave's forced timetable to get standing, I'd likely just stop playing until the update... good play, DE, good play, heavy handed force-to-play tactics win again?

(cross-posting this reply from a general discussion thread, since this is feedback)

• Like 3