Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Should Dual Wielding be buffed?

Gentleman_Bird

For those who don't know, if you equip a glaive and a one handed secondary weapon, you can "dual wield" them when you have your secondary pulled out. At the moment, this is pretty neat to experiment with for a few minutes before moving on to something more useful. I'm not sure if there's something in the works or not for changing dual wielding in the melee 3.0 update, but the melee phase 1 update made the whole thing pretty much obselete since you can now switch from melee to gun instantly. Therefore, I think it would be nice to give dual wielding some boosts to make it either more practical, or more fun.

Idea 1: auto-blocking while dual wielding. Since you have your glaive pulled out anyway when you have your secondary, it might as well auto-block gunfire when you're not aiming or attacking, just like it does in melee only mode.

Idea 2: Combo attacks with the glaive + secondary weapon. I'm talking about doing stuff like throwing the glaive, then shooting it to make it explode and amplify damage. Might not be practical, but it'll probably be fun.

Idea 3: Orvius stuff. Orvius has the unique mechanic of stunning an enemy when hit with a channeled orvius. This mechanic will probably get reworked anyway, since channeling is going away with melee 3.0, but it would be neat if they changed things up to make it work better with dual wielding. Right now, Orvius only stuns an enemy for 3 seconds. I'm thinking either increase this time so that you can put an enemy out of commission while you shoot stuff, or have an extra effect happen when you shoot an enemy stunned by the orvius.

• Like 1

It does autoblock...ive been using a kestre bronco prime combo and there is definate blocking going on...also the melee reticle seems to be working similiar to archwing melee letting move on to the next target rather easily.....i feel the combo much more effective than it was in melee 2.0

At the time being I thought its going talk about dual weapons type which it is some what.  Melee dual sword or whatever weapon that is paired is basically need the rework on stance.  Second the glaive+1h melee yes I understand about that part which I find the condition been long time ago you do have exploding hit it just the 2 type mods that do [Quick Return] and [Power Throw] that what it was originally it was settled in to do exploding dmg once hit an enemy or either the floor it do explosive.  We had this old discussion for the melee throwing weapon because people find the throwing melee weapon a bit so weak and not worth using it so they make sure its more rewarding once its smash on the ground (note warning do not throw it at your feet if you have these 2 mods it will still act like friendly fire).

Edited by ChaoticEdge

the Dual-Wield system has a lot of potential, I hope DE will still be going ahead with making Machetes, Swords, Daggers and other one-handed melee types usable with a one-handed Secondary. I do think that it could be improved though;

- the controls could be reworked so that it's a simple, two-button system: one button for melee, one to use your secondary. I like the idea of combos that make use of both: perform a few melee attacks and follow up instantly with an offhand gunshot. a passive "stance" that gets activated automatically when dual wielding, if you will. it could also have a timing mechanic where using your gun during different points in a combo results in different animations and maybe has a stat boost.

5 hours ago, Gentleman_Bird said:

Combo attacks with the glaive + secondary weapon. I'm talking about doing stuff like throwing the glaive, then shooting it to make it explode and amplify damage. Might not be practical, but it'll probably be fun.

this is one very good example. some other crazy move ideas:

- instantly shoot the glaive as it comes back at you to send it towards enemies again. essentially the Glaive can act as a damage amplifier for your bullets. would only work with hitscan/projectile Secondaries though, so to that end:

- different moves for beam Secondaries: with Cycron, Spectra etc. it could be made so that shooting your glaive in mid-air "charges" it with the elemental energy of your weapon, so say you have a Corrosive Cycron you charge your glaive with Corrosive energy. this Energy increases the damage of and changes the damage type of the next Channelling Explosion with the Glaive.

- a "Mark" system, where you shoot the enemy, and it creates a temporary weak spot where you hit them that vanishes after a few seconds, like a weaker version of Sonar. if you Throw the Glaive at the enemy in time, the Glaive homes in on that spot and hits it for additional damage. glaive headshots are tricky to pull off currently, but this would make it easier, and would also make it easier for those less skilled with Glaives to hit enemies.

I understand these are "ambitious" changes at best, we're talking full rework of Glaives here, and basing mechanics on what type of Secondary you are using; but I dream of a system where Glaive and Gun are completely synergized, working not as separate weapons, but fluidly acting as a whole new way to fight. seamless and near-instantaneous throwing, truly unique combos that make use of both weapons.

there's so much potential here for a system that makes everyone from Warframe veterans to people seeing the game for the first time all go "holy sh** that was f**king AWESOME!" in unison, I just hope DE can see it.

• Like 1

Another idea that I forgot to put in my original post: have getting hits with your secondary weapon preserve your melee combo. The current combo system results in your melee combo breaking if you swap to using your secondary weapon, especially if you don't have any combo duration mods. If they make it so that shooting an enemy in dual wielding mode resets the combo expiration timer, it will encourage players to fluidly move back and forth between melee and secondary fire.

The buff I want to dual wielding is that you can throw as many glaives as you have time for while in the air. Currently you'll have to do anything that resets bullet jumping and rolling to be able to throw the glaive again. This feels just awkward and puts me away from the weapon.

1 minute ago, Naftal said:

The buff I want to dual wielding is that you can throw as many glaives as you have time for while in the air. Currently you'll have to do anything that resets bullet jumping and rolling to be able to throw the glaive again. This feels just awkward and puts me away from the weapon.

Yeah, that would be a good thing to fix. 

A couple more ideas I just thought of:

Add the ability to "mark" enemies while you're charging up the glaive throw to have the glaive target those specific enemies for ricochet kills, similarly to how Ash's bladestorm marking works. Right now the enemies that are targeted by ricochet kills seems random, so it would be nice to have more control over it.

Here's just another random glaive idea: Mini-glaives (Or one large glaive with detachable mini-glaves.) that allow you to throw multiple glaives at once.

I also need to test if the new Amalgam Organ Shatter mod works on glaives. That might change things up.

Honestly with the instant weapon switch, I feel dual wielding is almost pointless. If they do continue adding different weapon types, I hope they also add a toggle so players can choose to run with a dual wield combination or not. Or at the very least allow for full stance-based combos.