Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Should all the Ephemera customizations be tradable?

lightdragon64

meh, I'm not that bothered either way, but it seems DE wanted to do something to please the crowd of people that want exclusives. Ephemeras are a decent compromise, the only way to get them is through playing, and they take a little time and effort to build, but can be obtained through regular play. I have no problems with them.

I like working for a nice fashionable reward, but if the work is just a massive RNG grind, why bother? If one orb gave 1 point and you needed 100 for an ephemera it'd be great, but right now I'd rather be a lazy player and buy one than work hard with zero guarantee of getting anything.

Very similar to rivens except less gamebreaking.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Azlen said:

Sure RNG plays a hand, but that doesnt mean it doesnt take work.

So there's nothing wrong with 1 person occasionally getting lucky on their first run. 

Actually it is only RNG dependent. The "work" you are talking about is also completely dependent on the same RNG (if the "work" is farming for the cosmetic).

Approx. every 16th player will get an ephemera on their first Exploiter fight, regardless of their "work" and even if they didn't even know such a thing was in the drop table.

That is what a 6% drop chance is, it is nothing more and nothing less. Every time you put in the same amount of "work", you have the same drop chance.

The whole idea that the more unlucky you are, the more work you have to do to "earn" it is completely flawed. It is just luck, or absence of luck, and punishes unlucky players. And there is no distinction between being lucky and getting it without "earning" it, and having to overcome your absence of luck by doing a lot of "work" to "earn" it. As a result, when you see a player having the cosmetic equipped, you will never know if he/she actually "earned" it, or just was lucky.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, -QUILL_PETER- said:

Not gunna happen. DE implemented them with deliberate intent of making them only obtainable through work.

Work? Getting something  through a slot machine without any alternatives of getting it is not work just luck. Put it like this, you spend 100 lottery tickets and you don’t get the jackpot but then some normie just got it with only 1 ticket. That upsets you doesn’t it?

Instead of making it tradeable make it appear on The Arbitrations shop and Syndicate offerings for a limited time and reasonably expensive, crafting the ephemeras are already expensive enough (20k Cryotic for freezing step).

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DrivaMain said:

Work? Getting something  through a slot machine without any alternatives of getting it is not work just luck. Put it like this, you spend 100 lottery tickets and you don’t get the jackpot but then some normie just got it with only 1 ticket. That upsets you doesn’t it?

Instead of making it tradeable make it appear on The Arbitrations shop and Syndicate offerings for a limited time and reasonably expensive, crafting the ephemeras are already expensive enough (20k Cryotic for freezing step).

That falls into P2W territory since boosters exist though.

32 minutes ago, DrivaMain said:

Vitus Essence is not affected by boosters. 

Vitus Essence is unique though, while items like Lazulite Toroids would not work as well since they are affected by boosters. I'm just noting that while rewarding effort is ideal, we need to make sure that it cannot be manipulated by boosters or it risks falling into the P2W category.

51 minutes ago, (PS4)Hiero_Glyph said:

Vitus Essence is unique though, while items like Lazulite Toroids would not work as well since they are affected by boosters. I'm just noting that while rewarding effort is ideal, we need to make sure that it cannot be manipulated by boosters or it risks falling into the P2W category.

If that’s the case, moving them all to The Arbitrations shop would be a good compromise

23 hours ago, Graavarg said:

Actually it is only RNG dependent. The "work" you are talking about is also completely dependent on the same RNG (if the "work" is farming for the cosmetic).

Approx. every 16th player will get an ephemera on their first Exploiter fight, regardless of their "work" and even if they didn't even know such a thing was in the drop table.

That is what a 6% drop chance is, it is nothing more and nothing less. Every time you put in the same amount of "work", you have the same drop chance.

The whole idea that the more unlucky you are, the more work you have to do to "earn" it is completely flawed. It is just luck, or absence of luck, and punishes unlucky players. And there is no distinction between being lucky and getting it without "earning" it, and having to overcome your absence of luck by doing a lot of "work" to "earn" it. As a result, when you see a player having the cosmetic equipped, you will never know if he/she actually "earned" it, or just was lucky.

The same could be said for basically every non-guaranteed drop in Warframe. 

Are you saying you hate Warframe's entire system? Hopefully not, since that's woefully idiotic. At that point you should find another game.

WoW had similar system with mounts being 1% drop chance. That means 1 out of every hundred players on average (1 out of 500 factoring standard dungeon size) received it their first run.  That still means that the majority of people who want it have to make multiple runs to receive their desires reward. And you're saying multiple runs isn't more work, but the same RNG, which yes in a way you're right I guess. But if I have 2 dice, and I want to roll 12 but it doesn't come up, what do I do? I roll again, until I get it. Eventually I will get it, because that's how probability works. 

If you can't handle doing multiple runs, you don't really deserve whatever it is you're going for. And as I said, in the end over time, the majority of players who will own and use said ephemera are the people who determined they wanted it. Not the people who stumbled upon it run 1.

None of this even addresses the crafting aspect of the ephemera, which the average 1/16th player you mention may not even have the mats for/want the ephemera in the first place.

Overall your point just seems incredibly weak, and honestly just sounds like you want to complain about being unlucky as if that's somehow relevant to ephemera more so than literally anything else in this game.

I don't think players should be able to buy and sell Ephemera's. But I do think trade should be allowed, at least in certain instances.

I've spent the last 3 or so days farming Exploiter as much as I can, and got 4 freezing step drops in total, but no shocking step ephemeras. I even encountered someone with the situation but swap the ephemeras. Hoping I can at least trade my freezing for a shocking since they both come from the same source, and is based on RNG instead of skill.

18 hours ago, Azlen said:

The same could be said for basically every non-guaranteed drop in Warframe. 

Are you saying you hate Warframe's entire system? Hopefully not, since that's woefully idiotic. At that point you should find another game.

If you can't handle doing multiple runs, you don't really deserve whatever it is you're going for. And as I said, in the end over time, the majority of players who will own and use said ephemera are the people who determined they wanted it. Not the people who stumbled upon it run 1.

Overall your point just seems incredibly weak, and honestly just sounds like you want to complain about being unlucky as if that's somehow relevant to ephemera more so than literally anything else in this game.

Everyone hates Warframe's drop system at different points, but no, that is not what this is about.

It is about defining a RNG-based cosmetic as "earned", which is BS from any logical perspective. Which should be obvious to anyone, really. Or do you actually mean that someone who did one mission and had the RNG-luck to get it has "earned" it, but someone who has done 50 runs and been unlucky has not "earned" it, respectively. And if one puts in your selected word, "deserved", instead of "earned", it just becomes more horrible, doesn't it.

It cuts the other way too, got 2 Seeding ephemeras on my 1st try. But that doesn't make me feel that I have "earned" it, while other players without said cosmetic "haven't earned" it. Actually that kind of thinking seems pretty "off", to me at least.

Yes, I do complain about being unlucky, do you think that is wrong 🙂? But those are just my feelings, after X Exploiter runs and not a single ephemera (lost count at some point, but I have 230+ Lazulite toroids, so...). And while I never got a cosmetic I am not even sure I would use (and I complain about that) I got a sh*tload of other stuff doing so many Exploiter missions (I think I have 1000+ Thysts, just to take an example). Also got around 15 articulas (I have no use for). So overall there might not be anything factual to complain about, just feelings. Additionally all that was my own choice, every single mission. But that has nothing do to with this "earned" BS.

Edited by Graavarg
  • Like 1

On 2019-03-24 at 5:18 PM, lightdragon64 said:

While, i know they are just cosmetics, I've had absolutely no luck in getting any of them. And seeing as how two of them are locked behind a bossfight that'll only appear once every two weeks or so . I feel like they should be tradable for those of us who don't want to grind for them, or those who already have/don't want one of them.

I only fought the exploiter like 10 times bro and got both freezing and shocking step from it. The ratio is not THAT bad.

Imo they shouldn't be tradeable but there also shouldn't exist a korean grind style like the seeding one. I did commit whole week and i was doing only arbitration with either 2 C rolls or i had luck to run 20 and 30 digs at excavation or did sit tight for 60 mins in survivals. I did earn more than 100 vitus essence that i have nothing to do with - i bought everything, i got all mods from missions. At the start i was full of optimism and had reason to run arbitrations but at this point i puke with them and i need to take it down a notch.

I just don't understand why bloody is easily purchasable, exploiter drops two of them and is just faster and less boring to do and then we get to seeding one that needs from u at least 30-1 hour per mission just for a slight tiny chance while keep on getting tons and tons of endos. I would feel more motivated if i could just buy those steps by other means same as bloody ones so u don't only depend on RNG but at the same time u gather big amount of currency from certain place and just buy it like for example 100 vitus essence for seeding steps or exploiter orb toroids for her ephemera drops. So in this case if u get lucky it is great and if u did commit hours and hours and still nothing you can reward yourself and just use all that currency u got while trying to get it. This would be less frustrating and just reward playing, not boring grind.

So as is mentioned in topic below i would love this to be changed:

Edited by Unicornu

13 hours ago, Deshiel said:

I only fought the exploiter like 10 times bro and got both freezing and shocking step from it. The ratio is not THAT bad.

Then, based on the information given by everybody else here, and my own experience, you're very lucky.

The amount of times you do it dosen't matter, if RNG works in your favor then that's that.

It's like saying. "Oh i only opened two lootboxes and got four legendary skins!" Meanwhile, there'll be people who opened 50-100 lootboxes and only got common items/rare items. Ratios don't mean anything.

I'm not saying this to discredit you, but i mean that it shouldn't be so stupidly difficult to get such a unique item if it's entirely dependent on RNG. There should be other systems in place to at least allow people an alternate, guaranteed way, of getting these items such as trading or purchasing through factions.

Edited by lightdragon64
  • Like 1

IMHO there does need to be at least SOMETHING that is nontradeable. Something that is either granted through achievement or longevity. Anything really. The only thing I don't like about Ephemera is that they are RNG related. It just takes away from the impact of having one (to me at least). Granted in other MMO's (WoW for example) lots of vanity items existed to show status like the "Time Lost Proto Drake" that had a single spawn once per week that essentially had legions of players camping the area in a winner-take-all free-for-all for a rare mount.

I don't think those things are the best, however. I'd rather see something based around having an active account for X years or having a clan Y size or helping Z new players...etc etc.

Ephemera is a step in an alright direction, but it still feels lacking in depth.

the difference in RNG seems kind of silly. some ppl dropped one really quick, others still try to get which they want. ofc i understand that stuff shouldnt drop too fast in a looter game but i feel ephemera drop waaaaay to random and low considering they are just fashion.

i would still stand for my suggestion to make them a purchasable item, not for credits tho but exploiter toroids for example. making them tradable would also be something worth considering. peculiar mods are tradable and ive never seen anyone use one, still some ppl sold/bought them and in essence they are sub par fashion compared to ephemera.

• Like 1

i personally would like to see a category of item that can only be traded for another item in that category. for instance, ephemeras n the old arcane helmets, if they were made to only be tradable for something else in that category, u still cant technically just buy it, you would have to earn one of them to trade for the one you want. i know it would take more coding work than some ideas, but i think it would be interesting, n possibly allow trade of these things without allowing anyone to have them just by opening their wallet