The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Kama

YesIAmGod

Quick side note many of the traditional martial arts weapons were originally used as farming equipment the reason for this is that if you got caught with a weapon ( sword in particular ) the government killed you. Besides anyone notice how many grim reaper references are in games in general ?

Scythes =/= Sickles

You're right, they're not the same. they're two different tools which are both used for agriculture. If you're going to act so adamant, you probably should make sure you're right first.

Sickles are smaller and hand held, and used to collect fruits or bundles of grain. Scythes are large, two handed tools used to reap grass or crops by cutting them very close to the ground.

You'll very rarely see anything like a sickle repurposed into a weapon, but scythes were effective as repurposed weapons because they had a long enough reach to allow the user to fight without much close combat training, which they would have required to effectively fight in sword range.

Scythes =/= Sickles

He didn't compare Scythes and Sickles, try paying attention.

They're meant as farming tools, not weapons of war.

Go back in time and take that up with ninja. Ninja used a variety of farming tools as weapons. Kunai, sickles, you name it. Anything in the hands of a skilled martial artist can be a deadly, multi-functional weapon. If they were caught, they could easily claim that they were simply their gardening tools.

Edited by FatalX7

Brimir, on 16 Sept 2013 - 09:05 AM, said:

That's just it. Peasants weren't allowed to own weapons, so ninja (who were after all peasants) made due with what they could.

That's a fallacy as far as ninja go. (Did a proper research paper on the subject)

Shinobi-no-mono (or more commonly referred to as shinobi), are commonly misrepresented as dishonorable individuals, while a majority were samurai or ronin serving under a shogun or ruler. Shinobi are historically more akin to spies and sappers, and are commonly misrepresented by the stock character 'ninja' and kabuki theatre. If they wore the archetypal 'ninja' outfit, they wore dark blue as opposed to black, since black will make you much more visible in moonlight, believe it or not. The idea is that they wished not to be noticed, as opposed to not being seen. Hattori Hanzo was a Hatamoto, essentially a high ranking Samurai retainer of Ieyasu. Yagyuu Jubei was also a Samurai. Samurai were no different from Ninja, historically, but were more specialized towards the role of espionage and special tactics. There is quite a bit of misinformation flowing around about what Ninja are supposed to be (we can place blame on Kabuki theatre and Hollywood for that) and common misconceptions persist today.

Shinobi of legend are far more fantastical (and unbelievable) than what they really were historically.

On topic: Kama (in martial arts) are a product of Okinawan martial arts. Nichougama are the dual kama you guys keep on talking about. I would like to see the longsword rework this week or the next, as well as armor 2.0 soon.

Edited by Vaskadar

It does? Hell yes. Time to start using it. I built it purely on strength of its aesthetics and planned to level it to 30 then leave it in the dustbin.

ohhhhh reary!!! since it is multi-terget i WILL make, the neurals will take all of 10-15 mins to get. if it was going to be single target i would just leave these alone and stick with fang prime. sweeeeet

That's a fallacy as far as ninja go. (Did a proper research paper on the subject)

Shinobi-no-mono (or more commonly referred to as shinobi), are commonly misrepresented as dishonorable individuals, while a majority were samurai or ronin serving under a shogun or ruler. Shinobi are historically more akin to spies and sappers, and are commonly misrepresented by the stock character 'ninja' and kabuki theatre. If they wore the archetypal 'ninja' outfit, they wore dark blue as opposed to black, since black will make you much more visible in moonlight, believe it or not. The idea is that they wished not to be noticed, as opposed to not being seen. Hattori Hanzo was a Hatamoto, essentially a high ranking Samurai retainer of Ieyasu. Yagyuu Jubei was also a Samurai. Samurai were no different from Ninja, historically, but were more specialized towards the role of espionage and special tactics. There is quite a bit of misinformation flowing around about what Ninja are supposed to be (we can place blame on Kabuki theatre and Hollywood for that) and common misconceptions persist today.

Shinobi of legend are far more fantastical (and unbelievable) than what they really were historically.

On topic: Kama (in martial arts) are a product of Okinawan martial arts. Nichougama are the dual kama you guys keep on talking about. I would like to see the longsword rework this week or the next, as well as armor 2.0 soon.

Ya I think part of the problem that even today there are people who want to spread exaggerated claims of their abilities, one of the more well known guys promoting ninjutsu in USA when i was a kid claimed his instructor could literally stop someone dead in their tracks and freeze them with a shout. Same guy would go to great lengths to clear up historical inaccuracies while spreading folklore no doubt intended to help his business. But ya in the west they are often portrayed as ruthless assassins with no honor , and in the east portrayed as magicians with literal magic powers. All this makes dissecting the truth kinda tough.

I don't get the fascination with scythes personally. They're meant as farming tools, not weapons of war.

Many ninja weaponry is based off farming tools since Ninja were originally farmers before they were fed up with how their Warlords treated them. Kusarigama is if I'm not mistaken the very first farming tool to become a weapon used by ninja.

Edited by __Kanade__