Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What is the glaive charged throw mechanic and what mods affect it?

birdobash

I've finally gotten a glaive prime after about 2 years in the game, and just realizing I have no idea how to build glaives. So I do a quick search online and get really mixed and vague results, I'm seeing some people say pressure point (and primed pp) don't effect the damage of the charged throw because it is a throw instead of a "melee", and I'm getting things like killing blow are better in place of it than pressure point because channeling damage somehow equates to thrown damage?? What I don't understand is how channeling even remotely translates into throwing when the channeling button isn't even on.

I'm also confused about the difference actions required between "throw" and "charged throw", I'm assuming the throw you get during a pistol/glaive combo where the crosshair turns blue and you let go during that is a charged throw, and when you let go early or late its a normal throw, but how do you get a charged throw if you don't do a pistol and glaive combination and just have your glaive out by itself?

Ik the glaives are basically trash when they're not built with throwing in mind, since their melee base stats are about as good as a skana, but the whole charged throw shenanigans is not well explained, well, anywhere!

Everything affects melee weapon damage should affect boomerangs, even the blood rush i guess? (not really sure, i'm not boomerang vet)

I think they changed "charged throw" system, so now you don't have to "just throw" boomerangs? charging it up, and it goes away when charges are over.

And i don't think we can charge throw without pistol? maybe channeling throw could do like that(at least you should be able to do explosion with channeling).

3 hours ago, Lutesque said:

I also got Glaive Prime and would also like to know how to build it.... No Riven Builds please.

Seems like it does guaranteed slash proc on explosion, so crit/base damage would be way to go.

Whirlwind is pretty powerful for boomerangs as well.

Oh and CO also work i guess.

Edited by Test-995
  • Like 1

Been a long time since I've fiddled with Glaives. I have a few of them I pull out every once in awhile, namely, the Falcor and the Orvius, but I haven't done much testing since I got them built up months back. If I recall the quirks correctly though.

Charged Throws are the same Channeled Throws, which used to throwing while Channeling was active. Triggering the blue reticle while Dual Wielding counts as a Charged Throw. Some Glaives have specific properties during Charged Throws but all Glaives get some level of Punchthrough and a speed increase during a Charged Throw. There are certain situations where you do not want to do a Charged Throw though, such as a Bounce Falcor.

Damage mods work fine on them, they increase the impact damage of the Glaive when it hits a target, it should also increase the damage of the explosion as seen by the increase in Explosive type damage on the Glaive Prime's Charged Throw. Meanwhile, Channeling Damage supposedly does not affect the explosion, never really found out if it works with the Charged Throw damage. Elemental damage works as per normal and affects everything. Attack Speed will affect the throw animation but not the charge time significantly. Not too sure how the new Amalgam Organ Shatter applies to this, it should reduce the charge time. Range has no affect on the thrown projectile itself, it only affects the melee attack range so Range mods are mostly pointless to it.

Bounce mods are gimmicky but do have worthwhile functionality. Glaives will generally attempt to correct their bounce to hit another target. Not entirely reliable but it is not entirely random like it used to be where you had to pray something would be standing in it's path. Use them depending on the context in which you build your Glaive for. Reducing Bounce on a non-homing Glaive makes it good for picking out heavy targets, especially with Whirlwind to increase the range. Increasing Bounce can be good for having something to trigger Status Effects and whittle down crowds. Do note though, Flight Speed has two potentially problematic side-effects, too much speed will cause the Homing functionality to fail sometimes as it cannot steer itself fast enough and it can cause bouncing to glitch out where it can bounce off targets before the hitbox registers, resulting in the Glaive bouncing between targets without doing any damage.

Power Throw will make the Glaive trigger an explosion at the end of its lifespan(by flight duration or bounce) much like toggling Channel while it is in flight. You can achieve the same effect by tapping the melee key while Dual Wielding while the Glaive is in flight. Potential self-risk danger as the explosion can do a sizable amount of damage and will detonate beside you if it hits its bounce limit.

Ideally, you will just want to build them for Damage/Element, then Crit/Status chance. Thrown attacks are supposedly not affected by Combo Counter so building combo-based mods is not useful either. 

No idea how all of this plays into the new melee update though. I've only used my Glaives while Dual-wielding with a Pistol so all I can assure you is that the way Dual Wielding works has not changed significantly. I have to point out though, that the Glaive Prime is not particularly interesting of a weapon, it doesn't have homing, meaning it's better suited for direct throw builds.

Busy with work currently so I can't get a full in-depth test of it, if no one else comes up with anything of the details I can't confirm, then I'll run some tests and give you the results later.

Edited by RX-3DR

Making a second post just to make it clear that there's an update on the testing I've done rather than edit the previous post and have it be missed.

Channeling mechanics works the same as it did previously with the Glaive as a main weapon. You hold down the melee button while Channeling for a Charged Throw, you get a normal one if you don't have Channel active. Detonating and forcing a return works the same too, just hit the Channel button and it will force a return and detonate the Glaive, 

Channeling Damage do not work on throws (which explains why I never had Killing Blow equipped on any of my Glaives), even if Channeled normally without Dual Wielding. However, Channeling effects like Life Strike will actually trigger if the Glaive is held and Channeled manually. This effect does not apply for Charged Throws with the Pistol.

Melee attack speed is now functional again on Dual-Wielding. This was disabled for a time for some reason when they slowed down the charge speeds for Dual Wielding across the board. Now that it is back again, while it will reduce the time it takes for it to charge on Dual Wielding, it also effects the entire window, which minimizes the time frame for a Charged Throw. Use Attack Speed mods at your own discretion. This also speeds up the animation for throwing the Glaive when holding it as a main weapon but does not reduce the initial charge time, resulting in debatable value.

Amalgam Organ Shatter on the other hand decreases the charge up for throwing the Glaive as a main weapon, but has no effect on Dual-Wielding. Somewhat usable if you intend to throw your Glaive as a main weapon but if you're using it exclusively with Dual-Wielding, it's not particularly useful.\

Combo Multiplier does not add damage to throws. However, with Life Strike actually working and with some dodgy testing because it's a hassle to test, effects like Weeping Wounds and Blood Rush might actually work with throws. Perhaps it might have some value but you do not obtain any Combo counter from throwing attacks, making this quite difficult to actually utilize even if it did work.

If there is any contradictory data in this set of testing with my previous post, ignore the previous one. However, general rule of thumb doesn't change all that much, Damage and Elemental damage are top priority, followed by Status or Critical stats depending on the base stats of the weapon and finally, your utility functions depending on what you intend to use it for. Only difference this digs up is that Attack Speed is somewhat viable but most Glaives throw fast enough when Dual Wielding and too much speed can make it quite uncomfortable to use.

Edited by RX-3DR