Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A Thank You Letter to Digital Extremes

Fuhklebark

Preamble: I spent a lot of today watching the various NoClip mini-docs on DE and Warframe, as well as the individual pieces with Steve and Reb while I did my work on the other monitor. I think between those and the DevSteams/Prime Time I've gotten a pretty good feel for the people behind the game, and I'd like to say something before it leaves my mind.

I wanted to say thanks to DE for being the company that you are, and making the decisions that you've made. I'm not talking about anything specific, because like anything there's ups and downs in the continual march forward. Every decision runs the gamut of not only community opinion but also can be subject to learning/growing pangs as Warframe continues to develop as the unique game it is today. You guys don't follow any pre-baked roadmap formula, operating in a state of creative semi-anarchy and I salute you for it.

I wanted to say thanks for being one of the good guys. It's your overarching decisions in how you interact with us that I'd like to praise. Being honest with your community, letting people see what's in development (warts and all, on occasion), and more than anything else not trying to twist our arm or take advantage of us. With a f2p game I'm sure the temptation is always there, but at no time, never once, have I felt like I was spending platinum because I somehow had to. It was always because I wanted to, because I thought it'd make an already enjoyable game more so. And that's a very important distinction.

As the industry (and times) progress it feels like more and more games are taking the opposite direction. With lots of content that can be earned in-game, sure, but with such an artificially awful grind that no sane person would do it that way (But hey, you can buy it, because they want to give you "Player Choice"!). Or games released in half-finished states as a cash grab. Or games sold at full price with bare-bones content, all the good stuff being locked behind DLC or promised later on down the road if you buy a Season Pass now. Or any of the host of other new crazy schemes that get invented every month.  Just, in essence, games that are in one way or another give you less, while always trying to take from you more.

You've been very moral about how you do things, and I wanted to say thank you. Because this is the internet and a thousand negative comments can get hurled at you for every nice thing that makes it through. And you guys deserve one of those, because you've always tried to treat us with honest respect. And I believe you deserve a little bit of it back.

On 2019-03-27 at 12:36 AM, Fuhklebark said:

Preamble: I spent a lot of today watching the various NoClip mini-docs on DE and Warframe, as well as the individual pieces with Steve and Reb while I did my work on the other monitor. I think between those and the DevSteams/Prime Time I've gotten a pretty good feel for the people behind the game, and I'd like to say something before it leaves my mind.

I wanted to say thanks to DE for being the company that you are, and making the decisions that you've made. I'm not talking about anything specific, because like anything there's ups and downs in the continual march forward. Every decision runs the gamut of not only community opinion but also can be subject to learning/growing pangs as Warframe continues to develop as the unique game it is today. You guys don't follow any pre-baked roadmap formula, operating in a state of creative semi-anarchy and I salute you for it.

I wanted to say thanks for being one of the good guys. It's your overarching decisions in how you interact with us that I'd like to praise. Being honest with your community, letting people see what's in development (warts and all, on occasion), and more than anything else not trying to twist our arm or take advantage of us. With a f2p game I'm sure the temptation is always there, but at no time, never once, have I felt like I was spending platinum because I somehow had to. It was always because I wanted to, because I thought it'd make an already enjoyable game more so. And that's a very important distinction.

As the industry (and times) progress it feels like more and more games are taking the opposite direction. With lots of content that can be earned in-game, sure, but with such an artificially awful grind that no sane person would do it that way (But hey, you can buy it, because they want to give you "Player Choice"!). Or games released in half-finished states as a cash grab. Or games sold at full price with bare-bones content, all the good stuff being locked behind DLC or promised later on down the road if you buy a Season Pass now. Or any of the host of other new crazy schemes that get invented every month.  Just, in essence, games that are in one way or another give you less, while always trying to take from you more.

You've been very moral about how you do things, and I wanted to say thank you. Because this is the internet and a thousand negative comments can get hurled at you for every nice thing that makes it through. And you guys deserve one of those, because you've always tried to treat us with honest respect. And I believe you deserve a little bit of it back.

I'll second this!

I found that video very fascinating but it did make me hate Steve a little after he admitted he was the one that replaced my beloved sniper rifle with that awful lightning gun in UT 😑