Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Can someone please explain thermia fractures to me?

(NSW)Smashbrolink

Question

I clicked on the thermia fractures mission event notice on the star chart,  and it launched me into a mission where everything was level 45 or up.

Even with a fairly well modded Excalibur Umbra, I got ripped apart before I could do anything.

Are thermia fractures meant to be high-level, or even end-game, content that cannot be solo'd, or does it scale to the gear of the best players/number of players in a squad or something and I was just dumb to go in with a group?

14 answers to this question

It's just a Mobile Defense-style thing. Grab a canister, seal a fracture, do it four times with one canister and you get Diluted Thermia, which is used to unlock the boss fight, and 7 points towards the 100 you need for the Opticor Vandal.

Yeah, the enemies are level 45-ish, and include nasty stuff like Jackals and medium Raknoids, so you need to bring the best gear you have. That said, I soloed it easily with a Mesa.

Edited by KnossosTNC

10 minutes ago, KnossosTNC said:

It's just a Mobile Defense-style thing. Grab a canister, seal a fracture, do it four times with one canister and you get Diluted Thermia, which is used to unlock the boss fight, and 7 points towards the 100 you need for the Opticor Vandal.

Yeah, the enemies are level 45-ish, and include nasty stuff like Jackals and medium Raknoids, so you need to bring the best gear you have. That said, I soloed it easily with a Mesa.

So basically, as a solo Excal with no rivens backing me up and no gear that can 4-shot [let alone 1-shot] anything, I'm basically screwed unless I cry and beg someone to carry me, huh?

That sucks. An entire reward system I can't access due to lack of power.

Reminds me of sorties, only at least people don't mind carrying others there, and it's easy to find a group with someone OP...

Edited by (NSW)Smashbrolink

13 minutes ago, (NSW)Smashbrolink said:

So basically, as a solo Excal with no rivens backing me up and no gear that can 4-shot [let alone 1-shot] anything, I'm basically screwed unless I cry and beg someone to carry me, huh?

Reminds me of sorties, only at least people don't mind carrying others there, and it's easy to find a group with someone OP...

Nah, you don't need rivens. You just need the right frame and gear. Mesa can clear all the enemies before they even get close. Towards the end, I also experimented with my max duration Slowva and got a good result to. A high-strength Frost should also make this easy.

As someone who solos most Sorties every day (I only pass on most Assassinations, and only because I can't be bothered with one-shotting the Shadow Stalker again), I can tell you that pretty much everything in this game can be soloed with the right preparation.

And in this case, if you're not well-prepared yet, just ask for help or pass on it. The Thermia Fractures is Orb Vallis's equivalent of the Ghoul Purge on Plains of Eidolon, so you'll get another chance in a few weeks.

Edited by KnossosTNC

8 minutes ago, (NSW)Smashbrolink said:

do you not have anything other than excal? if not thats your problem. for this event you want a frame that can crowd control, you dont actually need to kill anything other than the coolant racnoids just keep them from destroying the canister.

13 minutes ago, Wrum said:

do you not have anything other than excal? if not thats your problem. for this event you want a frame that can crowd control, you dont actually need to kill anything other than the coolant racnoids just keep them from destroying the canister.

Other than Excal umbra, I only have primes of Mirage, Trinity, and Zephyr, with a regular Oberon.

All currently unranked, sadly.

I don't know if any of them would help me here when even my Umbra failed despite all the work I've put into it, and something tells me that this is the kind of power gap that a couple of weeks of grinding is not going to cover, so I'm probably going to miss out on the rewards next time too.

Edited by (NSW)Smashbrolink

1 minute ago, (NSW)Smashbrolink said:

Other than Excal umbra, I only have primes of Mirage, Trinity, and Zephyr, with a regular Oberon.

All currently unranked, sadly.

What about non-Prime frames? Even a regular Mesa or Frost should be enough to do this.

6 minutes ago, (NSW)Smashbrolink said:

I edited, but; just Oberon and regular excal, outside my Primes.

Alright. Of the frames you have, your best bet might be Zephyr. Stack up on duration, energy and survivability mods, and use her 3 to basically be invincible. She's a very, very good frame to solo the boss fight, too. You then just need a strong gun, which depends on your MR.

Otherwise, again, I would suggest you go on recruitment chat and ask for some help, or skip until the next Thermia Fractures come along.

Edited by KnossosTNC
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, KnossosTNC said:

Alright. Of the frames you have, your best bet might be Zephyr. Stack up on duration, energy and survivability mods, and use her 3 to basically be invincible. She's a very, very good frame to solo the boss fight, too. You then just need a strong gun, which depends on your MR.

Otherwise, again, I would suggest you go on recruitment chat and ask for some help, or skip until the next Thermia Fractures come along.

Any gun suggestions? Best I've got, IMO, is a potato'd Hek with fully upgraded Scattered Justice and Hell's Chamber mods. 

9 minutes ago, (NSW)Smashbrolink said:

Any gun suggestions? Best I've got, IMO, is a potato'd Hek with fully upgraded Scattered Justice and Hell's Chamber mods. 

Well, again, depends on your MR. You do need something that can take out lots of enemies quickly, though, since Zephyr is great for survivability, not crowd control.

7 minutes ago, KnossosTNC said:

Well, again, depends on your MR. You do need something that can take out lots of enemies quickly, though, since Zephyr is great for survivability, not crowd control.

I'm MR8. And though I've looked through the market, I have no clue how to spot anything good for CC.

6 minutes ago, (NSW)Smashbrolink said:

I'm MR8. And though I've looked through the market, I have no clue how to spot anything good for CC.

Hmm. MR 8? Corinth comes to mind, and not just because I'm biased (Corinth is my favourite Primary). The raw damage from its primary fire will help you a lot with the Jackals and Raknoids, while its secondary fire is a decent crowd clearer. Just build it for radiation, damage and crit.

If the Corinth is a little slow for you, you could supplement it with a fast Secondary like the Akstiletto.

I had trouble soloing it too, even with Frost, Mesa or Rhino. I could do it most of the time, but 4 in a row was escaping me. Too often it spawned everything including the kitchen sink right on top of me and wiped me or the canister out before I could get the situation under control. When they spawned at a distance, no problem, but that wasn't happening 4 times in a row.

So I decided I needed help. I played Revenant and asked the Corpus for help. Stick the coolant canister in the fracture, then cast Mesmer Skin and start Enthralling the most powerful of the enemy units as they arrive. Then just stand back and watch as they murderize each other while totally ignoring you and the thermia fracture. The more the enemies, the better. It gave me new respect for the frame.

Edited by 3rdpig