Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nightwave is an entertaining way to take away catalysts and reactors

beaker_redux

5 minutes ago, DisasterIncarnate said:

its a pretty backward system where old players who own nearly everything in there can get rewards quicker, rewards they typically dont even need, and new players take longer to get anything they need, it is yet again a system that leans towards people already invested/hooked on the game rather than trying to encourage newer players to stick around and often ending up frustrating them as consequence.

Not really.  People have done the math, going through Nightwave will get rewards significantly faster than the old alert system did for most players (as in not for those who would play multi day no stretch sessions).  So even missing that last credit reward, new players will still get the nitain and potatoes faster (by years) than before, and more kuva than they will know what to do with.

Lets be honest, they don’t need the helmets, quirky mods, or the other flair in the lineup.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, aswitz87 said:

Not really.  People have done the math, going through Nightwave will get rewards significantly faster than the old alert system did for most players (as in not for those who would play multi day no stretch sessions).  So even missing that last credit reward, new players will still get the nitain and potatoes faster (by years) than before, and more kuva than they will know what to do with.

Lets be honest, they don’t need the helmets, quirky mods, or the other flair in the lineup.

Yeah but what about the Potatoes ? 

Nightwave only gives you enough credits for 4.

hace 2 horas, Lutesque dijo:

Yeah but what about the Potatoes ? 

Nightwave only gives you enough credits for 4.

You still have invasions and GOTL, and even a few prime junk sells can give u the 20 plat for that, so i dont see the problem there

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lutesque said:

Yeah just got the very last Wolf Cred earlier and all that gets me is 4 Potatoes 😞

I already bought one for Gram Prime... and after 24 Radiant Lith T1s I finally got Tigris Prime. So later on I'l be getting another one for that one too.

There is no "last Wolf Cred".  You can get to Rank 30 and continue earning them via "Prestige" I believe I've seen mentioned.  Preeetty sure >.>  Or just trade a rare mod or two for the 20 plat.

3 hours ago, aswitz87 said:

Avoiding every single elite (most likely to contain stuff they cannot do) and they can still get more than half the ranks done, getting plenty of things they “need”.

and that's not even counting the extra standing from defeating Convicts randomly. I made over +1000 one time in one session in Orb Vallis, and that was while doing other stuff.  It's very passive.

3 hours ago, DisasterIncarnate said:

its a pretty backward system where old players who own nearly everything in there can get rewards quicker, rewards they typically dont even need, and new players take longer to get anything they need, it is yet again a system that leans towards people already invested/hooked on the game rather than trying to encourage newer players to stick around and often ending up frustrating them as consequence.

Or...to look at it another way, it's curved in such a way as to INCENTIVISE newer player to IMPROVE and keep playing, such that they CAN one day get those rewards.  If we hand them EVERYTHING at the start, what is there left for them to work towards?  THAT is how you end up with people leaving...  They get bored too quickly when they have nothing left to progress towards. It's inevitable in any game at SOME point (say thousands and thousands of hours in) but shouldn't be immediate most of the time.

43 minutes ago, Regiaz20 said:

You still have invasions and GOTL, and even a few prime junk sells can give u the 20 plat for that, so i dont see the problem there

They can also continue earning Wolf Creds past Rank 30, preeeeetty sure.  Regardless, yeah, 20p is nothing with a few minutes invested in Trade.  I know people roll their eyes at that, but it's TRUE.  DE LITERALLY gave you an option to BYPASS spending ANY money on their ALREADY F2P game.  What more can you really ask?  They have no more money to GIVE you!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, beaker_redux said:

Which means I can buy one catalyst or reactor every two weeks   

As opposed to the daily potato alerts you used to have I suppose? Also, it's 2 every 3 weeks.

Gone are the gifts of the lotus.  Gone are the invasions that reward catalysts.   

Ofc when it's convenient we make stuff up.

What am I getting in return?  Scenes?  Emblems and stickers?   The kuva is nice, but I can farm it.  The forma is nice, but I can farm it.

I sincerely doubt that if you can't farm a potato in 20 min you can farm the 20k Kuva reliably.

Suggestions:

Each progression reward that awards creds should be 100 creds instead of 50.  At that level I would still be able to incorporate new frames and weapons into my experience while waiting for a coupon to make platinum an attractive price.

Old alert system certainly didn't provide a potato of choice on a weekly basis, so I see no reason why this one should.

19 hours ago, Teljaxx said:

Based off of what I found on the wiki, I did the math to figure out how long it would take to buy everything in the cred shop:

160 nitain - 15 Creds each - 480 total - Nobody needs all those 160 at once. A lot of it is for more MR fodder.

18 mods - 20 Creds each - 360 total - 16 of which, completely useless

10 weapon skins - 30 Creds each - 300 Total - I'm pretty sure that there are people that even skipped getting those for free

9 weapons - 50 Creds each - 450 total - 9 MR fodders

3 Vauban parts - 25 Creds each - 75 total - 1 MR fodder

38 alt helmets - 35 Creds each - 1,330 total - Of which maybe 10 aren't an eyesore, of which 10 how many would one want

That's 2,995 credits for everything in the shop. - Unless someone spent 24/7 in the game it's still a faster method of acquisition.

Let's state the obvious as a conclusion - the alert system was not the main source of potatoes in the first place. So no reactors or catalysts are being taken away.
They are now provided reliably at the cost of having to choose between them or collecting junk for the sake of completion.

Edited by Ver1dian

I now feel privileged I am an MR 26 with no plat flow problems so I don't have to hate Nightwave and can advance 4+ ranks a week. I get to ignore the new player experience!

The alerts were better in some way, worse in others. I could end with 4 nitains a day if lucky, or 0 nitain a week when I had school or work. Nightwave is more grind but absolute certainty.

Edited by Guest

3 hours ago, Regiaz20 said:

I don't sell Prime Junk and We didn't get a potato from GOTL this time and since I started playing The Lotus has only ever given me Blue Potatoes,  noylt gold ones.

2 hours ago, (PS4)Taishin_Ishu said:

here is no "last Wolf Cred".  You can get to Rank 30 and continue earning them via "Prestige" I believe I've seen mentioned.  Preeetty sure >.>  Or just trade a rare mod or two for the 20 plat

Oh theres definitely a last cred if the Elite Challenges continue this way...

hace 1 minuto, Lutesque dijo:

I don't sell Prime Junk and We didn't get a potato from GOTL this time and since I started playing The Lotus has only ever given me Blue Potatoes,  noylt gold ones.

i mean... if u dont trade in this game, then you never will have enough potatos, formas and slots... thats your problem dude this is a well know mechanic at this point: Warframe = Free to play = learn to trade and earn pl = grofit 

4 minutes ago, Regiaz20 said:

i mean... if u dont trade in this game, then you never will have enough potatos, formas and slots... thats your problem dude this is a well know mechanic at this point: Warframe = Free to play = learn to trade and earn pl = grofit 

I trade.... To my friends.... for Ammo Drum.

If Warframe wants to be greedy with Potatoes then so be it...

• Like 1

hace 2 minutos, Lutesque dijo:

I trade.... To my friends.... for Ammo Drum.

If Warframe wants to be greedy with Potatoes then so be it...

its funny because thanks to nightwave now we have a reliable way to get potatoes for free, so its now less greddy that before considering that the catalyst started as a plat purchase only

And no, random potaoes alerts where not a reliable way to get this...

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Lutesque said:

So let me get this straight, now you can finally get a yellow potato and you're complaining?

....OK

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Regiaz20 said:

its funny because thanks to nightwave now we have a reliable way to get potatoes for free, so its now less greddy that before considering that the catalyst started as a plat purchase only

Yeah I guess... I just need to make sure not to waste them.

28 minutes ago, Regiaz20 said:

And no, random potaoes alerts where not a reliable way to get this...

I never said they were.... but i did get more Potatoes from one month of alerts than I did from one month of Nightwave.

Just now, Ver1dian said:

So let me get this straight, now you can finally get a yellow potato and you're complaining?

No... I can't.... thats why im comlaining.... I need the Blue Potatoes more and I need a lot of them hence I can never buy a Gold one.

hace 2 minutos, Lutesque dijo:

No... I can't.... thats why im comlaining.... I need the Blue Potatoes more and I need a lot of them hence I can never buy a Gold one.

If u need a lot of them, you probably need to find another way to get them, because potatoes its always has been a rare catch to get from anything that's not from the market (that's why the emphasis on trade)

15 minutes ago, Lutesque said:

So farm or buy plat and get them.

As it was when alerts were still a thing.

Also, always check invasions, they always gave more potatoes than alerts.

Edited by Ver1dian

1 hour ago, Lutesque said:

Easy solution, sell the highly demanded plat items that Nightwave rewards you and buy taters and blueberries for it each season. That means while looking at the current season, you could potentially get 12 or so taters/blueberries without spending any wolf creds, doing any invasions or any GotL alerts.

That is far better than the old system where you were lucky to get even a couple in 10 weeks unless you were addicted to alert apps, playing 24/7 or blindly oogling the alert twitter.

4 hours ago, Ver1dian said:

Based off of what I found on the wiki, I did the math to figure out how long it would take to buy everything in the cred shop:

160 nitain - 15 Creds each - 480 total - Nobody needs all those 160 at once. A lot of it is for more MR fodder.

18 mods - 20 Creds each - 360 total - 16 of which, completely useless

10 weapon skins - 30 Creds each - 300 Total - I'm pretty sure that there are people that even skipped getting those for free

9 weapons - 50 Creds each - 450 total - 9 MR fodders

3 Vauban parts - 25 Creds each - 75 total - 1 MR fodder

38 alt helmets - 35 Creds each - 1,330 total - Of which maybe 10 aren't an eyesore, of which 10 how many would one want

That's 2,995 credits for everything in the shop. - Unless someone spent 24/7 in the game it's still a faster method of acquisition.

So lets see, other than nitain or potatoes, since you didn't specify how many of those you would get, you only want about 400 credits worth of stuff from the shop. lucky you, you can probably get all that in a single season! Too bad not everyone is so lucky. Too bad not everyone had the chance to get those "MR fodder" items from alerts, when they were basically free.

You are only looking at this from your perspective. Just because you don't want it, doesn't mean nobody wants it, or that it is completely worthless. And "MR fodder" weapons are still useful. They still give mastery, which is in no way pointless, and they all have low rank requirements, meaning they can be used really early on. This makes them exactly what new players need, so they are far from worthless.

Though, if anything, if some of the stuff in the shop actually is worthless, then that could be an even bigger issue. A new player comes along and sees so much cool looking stuff in the Cred shop, but they only get a few Creds to buy anything, so how will the decide what to spend it on? And what do they do if they end up buying something that turns out to be worthless, and now they can't get something that they could have actually used?

There was absolutely no risk to getting alert rewards. If you saw a cool looking sword pop up, and you wanted it, you could get it. And if it turned out to be terrible, all it cost you was the time it took to play the mission that it came from. But now, most people will probably simply skip those weapons, especially with people like you constantly saying how worthless they are.

And if DE is trying to basically trick new players into misspending their Creds on junk so it will take longer to get better stuff, or to make them buy platinum, then that is not cool. I really want to think that they are not that kind of company.

As for how long Creds takes vs how long alerts would have taken: That's pretty much impossible to determine, because alerts were completely random. And yes, that was one of the biggest flaws with alerts. There was too much luck involved in getting what you wanted. But just because Nightwave is more consistent, and less luck based, it still doesn't mean it is a good system.

I do know that nitain was potentially far more abundant under alerts. If you did want to watch the app, and get every single one no matter what, you could get all 160 you needed in about 40 days. Sure, its quite unreasonable to expect most players to do that. But even at a much more reasonable 1~2 per day, you could still probably get it all in a few months, probably close to as long as with Nightwave. But the main difference is that with Nightwave, you would only be getting nitain during that time. With alerts, you most likely would have gotten all kinds of other stuff during that period as well. Helmets, auras, maybe even a Vauban part or potato.

1 hour ago, SneakyErvin said:

Easy solution, sell the highly demanded plat items that Nightwave rewards you and buy taters and blueberries for it each season. That means while looking at the current season, you could potentially get 12 or so taters/blueberries without spending any wolf creds, doing any invasions or any GotL alerts.

That is far better than the old system where you were lucky to get even a couple in 10 weeks unless you were addicted to alert apps, playing 24/7 or blindly oogling the alert twitter.

Some of us are not here to play Wartrade or Warmarket. This is a bad workaround.

And also, use Twitter. You don't even need a Twiiter account to check WarframeAlerts or any of the numerous 3rd party alert/invasion feeds and catch a potato early in the morning before you head to work. It's better than spending 75 wolf creds that should actually be spent on Nitain which is practically unobtainable anywhere else.

1 hour ago, Teljaxx said:

So lets see, other than nitain or potatoes, since you didn't specify how many of those you would get, you only want about 400 credits worth of stuff from the shop. lucky you, you can probably get all that in a single season! Too bad not everyone is so lucky. Too bad not everyone had the chance to get those "MR fodder" items from alerts, when they were basically free.

What are they worth now? A new resource only for those with the sole purpose of gating you from constantly acquiring any reward alerts had.

You cant have one of the most plat purchased items (potato) now being a certain and more common reward without some sacrifice. This isn't a 60$ game, where you can expect that.

You are only looking at this from your perspective. Just because you don't want it, doesn't mean nobody wants it, or that it is completely worthless. And "MR fodder" weapons are still useful. They still give mastery, which is in no way pointless, and they all have low rank requirements, meaning they can be used really early on. This makes them exactly what new players need, so they are far from worthless.

I want for Scarlet Johansson to !@#$ me, but I realize I hardly need it, hence I see no reason to make a fuss about it every single chance I get.

Same thing here, the only items that could be considered needed are CP and SC, the only top tier items that alerts provided.

Also, there are plenty of weapons from the market, I doubt that any player out there had a crippled experience because he couldn't get a free Pangolin sword over Atterax.

Though, if anything, if some of the stuff in the shop actually is worthless, then that could be an even bigger issue. A new player comes along and sees so much cool looking stuff in the Cred shop, but they only get a few Creds to buy anything, so how will the decide what to spend it on? And what do they do if they end up buying something that turns out to be worthless, and now they can't get something that they could have actually used?

The player will spend it on whatever he wants and that's the point, by the time the player realizes he F-ed up by picking Infested Impedance over Corrosive Projection he would have amassed enough credits to get the latter.

Also any alternatives to acquire a desired item can be dismissed, but they're still present and quite easy.

There was absolutely no risk to getting alert rewards. If you saw a cool looking sword pop up, and you wanted it, you could get it. And if it turned out to be terrible, all it cost you was the time it took to play the mission that it came from. But now, most people will probably simply skip those weapons, especially with people like you constantly saying how worthless they are.

So you're saying the difference is that now they'll be aware they're leveling MR fodder when they get said weapon as opposed to wonder until they potato and forma it?

And if DE is trying to basically trick new players into misspending their Creds on junk so it will take longer to get better stuff, or to make them buy platinum, then that is not cool. I really want to think that they are not that kind of company.

Here's a simple example of another trail of thought you could follow - "DE was a horrible company, because they left a frame  behind a time gated RNG event, thus promoting purchasing with plat"

Anything can be exemplified as bad, it's the gift of the modern society.

As for how long Creds takes vs how long alerts would have taken: That's pretty much impossible to determine, because alerts were completely random. And yes, that was one of the biggest flaws with alerts. There was too much luck involved in getting what you wanted. But just because Nightwave is more consistent, and less luck based, it still doesn't mean it is a good system.

It's still a better system, but apparently the best system would be immediately everything for free. A nice bonus would be if it's exclusive as well, but that's not said vocally because we have to present ourselves as upstanding people, thinking for the greater good.

I do know that nitain was potentially far more abundant under alerts. If you did want to watch the app, and get every single one no matter what, you could get all 160 you needed in about 40 days. Sure, its quite unreasonable to expect most players to do that. But even at a much more reasonable 1~2 per day, you could still probably get it all in a few months, probably close to as long as with Nightwave. But the main difference is that with Nightwave, you would only be getting nitain during that time. With alerts, you most likely would have gotten all kinds of other stuff during that period as well. Helmets, auras, maybe even a Vauban part or potato.

That implies logging in every day. Also I consider myself quite active and rarely made more than 5 per week, because of the timing.
Not to forget that not everyone wanted to bother with a Defection or being afk for 10 waves of Defense with Maim Equinox.

Lastly, regarding Nitain, I'll just quote myself from another thread:

According to the attitude of the average user, Nitain seems to be required for everything, if you run out of Nitain, you can no longer log into the game, your family and friends leave you, your boss sleeps with your wife and has you fired, your wife divorces you, gets all you belongings and custody of the dog and even the bridge you end up sleeping under gets demolished.

I'm sorry if I come out as rude, I just have a bad reaction to what seems to me as complaining for the sake of complaining.

In fact in my humble opinion, once I got a bit further down the star chart I felt cheated by alerts, when I realized how much time I wasted gathering miniscule amount of resources and sub-par weapons, while also being less efficient in leveling gear while thinking otherwise.

Nightwave is not perfect, but it is an overall improvement and since the definition of perfect differs from person to person it will never be perfect.

A lot of the complaints seem to focus on individual wants, rather than try to view it from the scope of "catering to the masses" approach.

Edited by Ver1dian

4 hours ago, Regiaz20 said:

If u need a lot of them, you probably need to find another way to get them, because potatoes its always has been a rare catch to get from anything that's not from the market (that's why the emphasis on trade)

Then im Screwed....

4 hours ago, Ver1dian said:

So farm or buy plat and get them.

I shall Buy plat... if necessary. 

2 hours ago, SneakyErvin said:

Which items are these ? 

2 hours ago, SneakyErvin said:

The system is obviously better... but it's not executed properly.

To put it into perspective, of my more than 200 used potatoes, only 31 came from alerts over my three years of play (yes I kept track, OCD... same reason I’m collecting all the weapons and regularly must sell my spare mods).

Most of them have been acquired with plat.  Some bought, some traded.

By the way, play for a while and in the time you would take to play a single alert, you can trade enough plat to get half a dozen potatoes.  My personal favorite is locked rivens.  They go super fast and save me the effort of opening th things.  Filled statues are good at times too.

Obviously a super new player won’t be able to do this, but they also wouldn’t be able to play the alerts so it makes no difference.

Edited by aswitz87

15 minutes ago, aswitz87 said:

To put it into perspective, of my more than 200 used potatoes, only 31 came from alerts over my three years of play (yes I kept track, OCD... same reason I’m collecting all the weapons and regularly must sell my spare mods).

Most of them have been acquired with plat.  Some bought, some traded.

By the way, play for a while and in the time you would take to play a single alert, you can trade enough plat to get half a dozen potatoes.  My personal favorite is locked rivens.  They go super fast and save me the effort of opening th things.  Filled statues are good at times too.

Obviously a super new player won’t be able to do this, but they also wouldn’t be able to play the alerts so it makes no difference.

Of my 10 or so blue and gold potatoes, a third came from alerts and invasions. I personally watched Twitter. Anecdotes are not very good evidence to support argument positions.

While some people very much like to sell and trade, I am not interested in this aspect of Warframe beyond friendly exchanges with my buddies, clan mates and enthusiastic new players. I invested the price of a AAA game in Warframe and only use my plat to buy slots. I got the least P2W package back in December gaining some plat and junk mods. I greatly prefer earning  items  by grinding and playing the game rather than buying them. That includes potatoes and forma.

3 hours ago, nslay said:

Some of us are not here to play Wartrade or Warmarket. This is a bad workaround.

And also, use Twitter. You don't even need a Twiiter account to check WarframeAlerts or any of the numerous 3rd party alert/invasion feeds and catch a potato early in the morning before you head to work. It's better than spending 75 wolf creds that should actually be spent on Nitain which is practically unobtainable anywhere else.

It is not a bad workaround because it is part of the actual game.

Having to act as if you have a second job and dedicating your sleeping hours to it is not a good system. This new system gives you what you want just by playing the game when you actually have time.

1 hour ago, Lutesque said:

Which items are these ? 

Arcane Energize this season. I mean, this system gives us so much more, something the old system could never do and didnt even come close to.

1 hour ago, Ver1dian said:

I'm sorry if I come out as rude, I just have a bad reaction to what seems to me as complaining for the sake of complaining.

In fact in my humble opinion, once I got a bit further down the star chart I felt cheated by alerts, when I realized how much time I wasted gathering miniscule amount of resources and sub-par weapons, while also being less efficient in leveling gear while thinking otherwise.

Nightwave is not perfect, but it is an overall improvement and since the definition of perfect differs from person to person it will never be perfect.

A lot of the complaints seem to focus on individual wants, rather than try to view it from the scope of "catering to the masses" approach.

Don't worry about seeming rude. I don't get offended when someone stands up for their convictions. As long as they don't start resorting to bad arguments like lazy dismissals or ad hominem, anyway.

Besides, the main problem here is that I have failed to get the point that I am trying to make into words. Its really frustrating when I can see a problem, but I can't figure out how to properly explain why I see it as a problem to anyone else, because I just can't find the words I need. That's why it seems like I am complaining about nothing. I think part of the problem is that I have been kind of trying to explain things sideways.

Let's try this:

Overall, the biggest problem I have with Nightwave is how little control it actually offers to players. Especially in terms of what rewards you get, even though DE specifically said it was supposed to give players more choice in the matter. Instead we got 30 items that can only be earned in a very specific order, and at a fairly specific rate. And even the part where we do have any choice, the Cred shop, is still limited by the inflexible rank system. So this really doesn't seem to me like much control at all.

The problem with having so little control, is that DE is trying to satisfy millions of players with a single permutation. Nightwave was apparently built with the assumption that every player puts the same value on the same things. This is clearly not true. This is why even in the small part that you do have control over, like having to decide between looking cool, by buying a new skin, or being stronger, by buying potatoes, isn't really a choice at all. You may want one thing, but you need the other. And if you get the wrong thing, you know it will be awhile before you can get the other. If the whole system afforded more choice, it would be far more likely to satisfy more of the playerbase. And if the Creds weren't so stingy, especially for new players, the choices wouldn't be so hard to make.

Since Nightwave is such a central system to the game, like alerts were, and is available from the very beginning to the very end, if it does not cater to as many players as possible, then it has failed. And giving players more control is pretty much always the best way to satisfy as many of them as you can.

A secondary point that I was trying to make is that I don't really feel that Nightwave is any better than alerts. They both have their own set of problems, and neither one is empirically better than the other. Some people loved alerts, some people hated them. And the same goes for Nightwave. This is why I feel that alerts should not have been removed, because Nightwave is not an adequate replacement for them. It would have been much better if Nightwave was added to supplement alerts, not to replace them.

I also agree that most people seem to think that nitain is far more valuable that it really is. Even though I never used any external alert trackers or anything, and didn't even always do whatever alerts were available when I was playing anyway, I still managed to get plenty of nitain for everything I wanted it for. I was mainly using it as an example because it is possible to set a maximum necessary quantity of it, unlike with the theme of the thread: potatoes. And, because so many people obviously do put a lot of value on it, in general it will be a high priority Cred purchase for many players.