Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Umbra Forma - Info

VirtualJunky

Just got the Umbra Forma from Nightwave and figured I'd post for those curious about how it works.

Pretty straight forward, it brings up a new "Forma Selection" screen when you select the Polarization option. It appears you can use the Umbra Forma on anything that you can Forma normally. I tested it on Primary, Secondary, Melee, Sentinel, Sentinel Weapon and a Kavat. It is only one Umbra Forma, upon earning it you can't buy more from the market, blueprint or completed.

Here's a screenshot of the new screen:

f3701358d72040894f4ea13d64e7916d.jpg

Sidenote for the curious; The way I got 29 so fast was roughly 140-160 hours of standing around in Orb Vallis waiting for Fugitives to spawn. I've kind of been slacking for the last few days because I figured if I farmed it or not I would get 30 next reset (less then 2 days away at the time of posting this) but finally just went for it because the curiosity of how it worked was eating away at me with how close I was. Still technically possible for me to get 30 before reset but would cost me more sleep, roughly 20 hours of standing around.

Anyway, if you have questions about something I haven't thought of let me know, I'll give it a shot. I won't be using it quite yet as I am undecided if I want to use it on Nidus or wait for Prime. Though if we get another one next series I'll probably just use it on Nidus and save the next for Prime.

Edit: I got to rank 30 and started up a new topic with a video showing Nora's speech and the complete armor set. You can find that here - 

Edited by VirtualJunky
  • Like 11

12 minutes ago, (PS4)Zero_029 said:

Think it's even worth using the Forma by itself?
I feel as though the benefit won't really be felt until atleast 2 or 3 Umbra Forma polarities have been added.

it would absolutely be a bonus just on its own, just one of those umbral formas on my valkyr and i would be able to switch my flow with a primed flow, and change my steel charge to a corrosive projection.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DeckChairVonBananaCamel said:

it would absolutely be a bonus just on its own, just one of those umbral formas on my valkyr and i would be able to switch my flow with a primed flow, and change my steel charge to a corrosive projection.

Hmm, I don't run Umbral builds so I can't relate to the struggle needed to equip the mods.
To me it seemed like unless the set bonus is active they weren't worth the price.

But I see where you are coming from.

1 minute ago, (PS4)Zero_029 said:

Hmm, I don't run Umbral builds so I can't relate to the struggle needed to equip the mods.
To me it seemed like unless the set bonus is active they weren't worth the price.

Umbral builds require a lot of forma (those 3 umbral mods use 48 points together!) but they really allow you to push it to the limit as the set bonus upgrades them significantly.

Umbral Vitality goes from +440% to +770%
Umbral Fiber goes from +110% to +192.5%
and Umbral Intensify goes from +44% to +66%
Also, with all 3 the tau damage resistance increases to a 55% reduction... though i admit that part is not entirely necessary unless you are fighting sentients, but that might become more desirable with the new war.

1 minute ago, DeckChairVonBananaCamel said:

Umbral builds require a lot of forma (those 3 umbral mods use 48 points together!) but they really allow you to push it to the limit as the set bonus upgrades them significantly.

Also, with all 3 the tau damage resistance increases to a 55% reduction... though i admit that part is not entirely necessary unless you are fighting sentients, but that might become more desirable with the new war.

That was why I was asking if it's worth it.

Not all frames (impo) need all 3 Umbra Mods. One could argue some of the mods are a waste on select frames. But without the set bonuses they feel "meh".

With the set bonus...yeah...100% worth it.

31 minutes ago, DeckChairVonBananaCamel said:

woah, good job, buddy!

as you progress into the "prestige ranks" could you let us know what the wolf cred situation is like there?

Absolutely! Haven't really got much else to do at the moment so I am farming rep. Will get it sometime in the next 2 days and will make another topic to talk about whatever she has to say and what it looks like past 30. I had a really interesting thought a few days ago on what would happen if you got to 30 again, would it just keep going or loop back again? Maybe a wall, who knows. Not sure it's even possible though, I believe I will get somewhere between 15-20 ranks in before the series is over.

10 minutes ago, (PS4)Zero_029 said:

Some Warframes benefit from Umbral mods quite nicely, others not so much. Rhino, Inaros and Nidus are ones that get a pretty nice bonus out of using them but often at the cost of various other stats. For instance I would love to use Umbral Vitality and Intensify on my Nidus but I would have to take a hit on my range or use Steel Charge to make it fit even if I used Forma on every other slot. Other cases you may be able to fit the Umbral mods on but the Umbra Forma might be able to save you a 1-2 normal Forma. Probably not worth it in those cases but something to mention.

To answer your original question, yes I believe it is worth using if it's on the right frame that can really make use of it. I would say for most frames just a single Umbral Polarity would make it work but you would still need a good amount of normal Forma depending on the base polarities of the frame. 

4 minutes ago, (PS4)Zero_029 said:

That was why I was asking if it's worth it.

Not all frames (impo) need all 3 Umbra Mods. One could argue some of the mods are a waste on select frames. But without the set bonuses they feel "meh".

With the set bonus...yeah...100% worth it.

yeah you definitely wouldn't put it on the likes of loki, lol.

but generally if a frame benefits from ability strength and has decent-ish health and armour its pretty good

1 minute ago, VirtualJunky said:

Some Warframes benefit from Umbral mods quite nicely, others not so much. Rhino, Inaros and Nidus are ones that get a pretty nice bonus out of using them but often at the cost of various other stats. For instance I would love to use Umbral Vitality and Intensify on my Nidus but I would have to take a hit on my range or use Steel Charge to make it fit even if I used Forma on every other slot. Other cases you may be able to fit the Umbral mods on but the Umbra Forma might be able to save you a 1-2 normal Forma. Probably not worth it in those cases but something to mention.

To answer your original question, yes I believe it is worth using if it's on the right frame that can really make use of it. I would say for most frames just a single Umbral Polarity would make it work but you would still need a good amount of normal Forma depending on the base polarities of the frame. 

Copy that. Makes a lot more sense.

I am an Ash Main, and while I look at the Umbral Mods...they don't seem very worthwhile on him.

I "could" make Umbral Vitality work, I could maybe squeeze in Umbral Intensify (I feel Blind Rage would be better though...), Fiber seems eh...(I don't feel Ash honestly needs more armor than he already has) like a waste.

However, without the set bonus I feel Ash wouldn't grow nearly as much as other frames.

33 minutes ago, (PS4)Zero_029 said:

Two variations of Umbra builds I use;

On Mesa I run Umbral vitality and Umbral intensify. Probably not a very popular build for Mesa. I have 1200 health and 150% power strength, on top of a normal peacemaker build around Duration.

That’s paying a lot of extra mod capacity for a slight bump in stats but I can spare it on Mesa. Besides her core build most everything else on her is QoL.

Then there is the fully commited Umbra build. My Saryn uses all 3. 1300 health, 700 armor, 160% power strength. Almost every single slot my Saryn has is Forma’d.

My Exilus slot is currently empty. And I have a single normal slot without a polarity so I can swap mods.

Once I apply the Umbra forma to Saryn I can use an exilus mod.

Not game breaking or anything, but I can use that to take her range from 235% to 250% which I am personally very excited about.

Edited by (PS4)Mono-Pop
  • Like 2

Good info OP. Thanks. I was kinda hoping the UF would have been a high build cost bp with infinite uses or something. Oh well. Screenshot_20190227-165342_zpstefe0taj.p

I'll be just fine without it. And can wait till they introduce the UF in another way. Especially because all I wanted was a way to fit Prime Vigor on my Umbral Mesa build. Lol

Edited by (XB1)RDeschain82

5 hours ago, (PS4)Zero_029 said:

Think it's even worth using the Forma by itself?
I feel as though the benefit won't really be felt until atleast 2 or 3 Umbra Forma polarities have been added.

Most builds will benefit a great deal with the UF. 

There are only so many possibilities when it comes to balancing stats with the present mods. Umbral mods upset the applecart with their massive energy costs and the fact that you must use more than one to really see positive results when compared to other mod strategies. 

What one UF will do is allow you to use all three umbral mods at max rank with most builds. It'll allow you to use your excilus slot, where usually you can't. It might allow you off-polarity modding where you're using multiple builds, but keep that third umbral in. 

Obviously more UF will allow more flexibility using umbral mods, but also lock you into using them. One really doesn't. Two probably will. Three certainly will. I have a fair number of umbral builds I run, and from what I've seen so far just one UF will really free things up for using all your slots and using rank 10 umbrals. 

5 hours ago, DeckChairVonBananaCamel said:

yeah you definitely wouldn't put it on the likes of loki, lol.

but generally if a frame benefits from ability strength and has decent-ish health and armour its pretty good

I've definitely looking to use it on my Frost Prime or maybe Nidus, both for that lovely health/armour and extra strength.

Edited by Valiant

1 hour ago, (XB1)RDeschain82 said:

That picture lol

Why use photo bucket if the likes of imgur or tinypic allow you to host stuff without obnoxious watermarks and ads?

On topic though,

6 hours ago, VirtualJunky said:

Just got the Umbra Forma from Nightwave and figured I'd post for those curious about how it works.

Thanks for the info. As much as I dislike the idea of the Umbral mods, I guess I'm gonna make my Valkyr really swagged out with this. If they give you stuff, you gotta take it.

Almost reaching 29 myself, I got lazy because of the lack of the double rep.
Btw, do you have a screenshot of the selection of the mod slot preview with the umbral forma?Just to know if it's a select and use it immediately or not.

Edited by CrazyDarkSonic

25 minutes ago, HugintheCrow said:

Thanks for the info. As much as I dislike the idea of the Umbral mods, I guess I'm gonna make my Valkyr really swagged out with this. If they give you stuff, you gotta take it.

No problem! Why don't you care for them? I think they are a pretty cool edition. One of my favorite parts about them is it changes up how you think about your build if you want to fit them in. Before Umbrals it was so easy and almost boring putting a build together because you know exactly what mods to use. Trying to fit in some Umbrals really made you think though since you knew you had to take a hit on something to make it work. The Umbra Forma is going to kind of take away from that I think but it is just one of them.

5 minutes ago, CrazyDarkSonic said:

Almost reaching 28 myself, I got lazy because of the lack of the double rep.
Btw, do you have a screenshot of the selection of the mod slot preview with the umbral forma?Just to know if it's a select and use it immediately or not.

I don't, honestly I was going to get a screenshot of the next screen because I'm sure that's how it works but this part of me fears it will just throw it on the first empty slot or something and use it. I'm still undecided on what I want to use it on so was trying to be careful not to use it. Haha. I think I saw your post about the Napalm Grenades and the Scene about a week ago yeah? If you're the same person you were actually one day ahead of me for both of those and really motivated me to stop being lazy with the rep grind. 

3 minutes ago, VirtualJunky said:

I don't, honestly I was going to get a screenshot of the next screen because I'm sure that's how it works but this part of me fears it will just throw it on the first empty slot or something and use it. I'm still undecided on what I want to use it on so was trying to be careful not to use it. Haha. I think I saw your post about the Napalm Grenades and the Scene about a week ago yeah? If you're the same person you were actually one day ahead of me for both of those and really motivated me to stop being lazy with the rep grind. 

Haha, I get it, with unique things like this, it is really scary to make mistakes with.

But yeah, I did a thread for each new nightwave mod + captura scene, I still plan to make one last video showing the full armor set + prestige, but I guess I'll just get to 29*(put the wrong rank) get the umbra f. and wait for the reset to finish it. 300 by fugitive group feels much better to farm for me and I don't even have the hammer yet. You beat me though, so gg.

6 minutes ago, CrazyDarkSonic said:

Haha, I get it, with unique things like this, it is really scary to make mistakes with.

But yeah, I did a thread for each new nightwave mod + captura scene, I still plan to make one last video showing the full armor set + prestige, but I guess I'll just get to 29*(put the wrong rank) get the umbra f. and wait for the reset to finish it. 300 by fugitive group feels much better to farm for me and I don't even have the hammer yet. You beat me though, so gg.

Yeah the grind is so slow now without the 300. Honestly think it should be 300 all the time in general because without doing the farm method you hardly ever get them since most missions are less then 20 minutes unless you do endless. When I play the game how I want to play I get 1-2 groups per hour, so 150-300 per hour and that is just nothing really. I ended up getting the BP as a drop and a friend sold me the motor for 100p I believe it was, the other 2 parts cost basically nothing so I was able to get it. It's pretty meh though, not missing out on much honestly. I would say a good 90% of the time you throw the thing it hits air and instantly returns to you, the other 10% of the time it actually reaches the target but does nothing and then comes back.

31 minutes ago, (XB1)RDeschain82 said:

Because imugr is stupid in these forums. Shows up sometimes. Lol

It works every time, you just have to do it right. If it doesn't appear at first, you just need to re-paste the link*.

*Use the direct link to the image, not the site itself.

10 hours ago, DeckChairVonBananaCamel said:

Considering the nature of the New War seems to be centered around the Sentients, yeah, that resistance to their damage will come in very handy.

Despite my crabbing about the UF locked behind Nightwave, at least for now, I'm certain that DE is going to do something to make getting these forma easier. Especially because of the new War.

It's obvious that even if they do make more Umbra frames, they aren't going to divide themselves between pumping out primes AND making an Umbra for every frame in the game on-top of any new frames coming out like Wisp.

The easier alternative would be to make the Umbra Forma more available, people can better min max the frames they play, and get the basic effect of having an Umbra frame dependent on the frame of course.

I love my Umbra'd Chroma Prime, with the Umbral vitality on there he'd be even more of a beast. Same with Inaro's, I only have two Umbral mods on him and he has over 5K health, and I haven't even really begun work on his redesign from my old build.