Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nora, copying a famous movie character isn't good

MewmewGirl

Warframe is a great game with a lot of original content.  Most everything is their own made up lore that is very unique.  They have storytelling that really pulls me in the game and makes me forget briefly that it is a game it gets so deep and original.  It's unlike anything else and is normally very interesting.

I hadn't been playing this month and just logged on for the first time in a while again last night, and I very clearly see something taken directly from a movie that just seems a bit ridiculous to do and takes me out of the game world completely seeing it.

Who decided to copy the radio DJ from The Warriors movie and put her in Warframe?  It's silly to see and just kicks me completely out of the world.  Please don't do this kind of stuff again.

I don't know who thought this was a good idea.  This is a pretty famous and popular movie.  Yeah, it's a great movie and a classic, but to copy something from it and put it in your otherwise unique game is just goofy and kills that very custom lore feeling the game normally has.

If you haven't seen the movie, maybe you won't care.  You can look up "The Warriors DJ Lady" to see who and what they copied if you feel like it.  Imagine if it was something you did know though and how silly it would be to see stuff taken from movies you know and see them here in game.  It just doesn't fit and isn't original.  In an otherwise lore created from scratch universe she just feels out of place.

I don't understand how a game that has some of the most amazing unique lore out there could just go and copy a woman from a famous movie and put her in the game.  I literally said "Yikes" when I saw her...

If we're going to be silly and add stuff from various movies from now on, if that is where they want to take the game now - I guess go ahead.  Let's get all sorts of goofy zany characters from TV shows and add them to the game if that is the direction they want to go.  If however that isn't the direction we want to go - when her time is up let's not have this kind of stuff in game again please.

Edited by MewmewGirl
  • Like 9

I'm familiar with the Warriors for some three decades now, I caught the reference immediately. Whether it's "copying" or "uninspired" or "homage" or "paying respects" is fairly immaterial to me.

I just want to know in what universe DE thinks this is lore-appropriate?

I should be clear and say that I like the nightwave system, I think that while it's definitely worse for veterans and those who have unlimited free time, on balance it's a better system particularly for new players and those with less free time. I just loathe Nora herself as a character. Then again, I don't like the Lotus, either, so I'm clearly in the minority.

Actually I actively dislike almost every NPC in this game. Maroo, Darvo, Clem, Eudico, Little Duck, just, ugh. Shut up. Not everyone though. The Business is alright by me. I like the ventkids too.

• Like 2

who is to say that the inspiration came directly from that piece of media? it could have come from an inspiration of an inspiration of an inspiration of that.

just like how everything humans do, is extremely self referential and our stories are really very well... self referential.
basically everything storywise we create, is a reference to something else that existed beforehand. in varying degrees.
whatever story you think is unique in this world, is almost assuredly just references that you aren't catching.

that is the extent of my opinion on referential nature.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MewmewGirl said:

Who decided to copy the radio DJ from The Warriors movie and put her in Warframe?  It's silly to see and just kicks me completely out of the world.  Please don't do this kind of stuff again.

I've never watched the Warriors movie.  Yet I can say that in my 40+ years I've come across or seen or hear quite a few characters like Nora.  With most of them being real people.  So you might want to ask yourself who or what was the original inspiration for the character in the movie.  In either case, it doesn't really matter and should be looked at as a homage.  

Edited by DatDarkOne
  • Like 5

Overall I think the idea is at least nice, but unfortunately they have mixed an annoying voice with weird pointless lines.

And I guess it's too late to change it now, so actually I'm playing the nightwave alerts but I try to ignore her.

Also I had no idea this is copied from something else, maybe this is like a homage, but still it's a pity to not have an original warframe themed character for this.

• Like 1

Wow, so guess we all should stop referencing stuff in general right? Oh wait, then you can't do memes because those basically are references to different media. 

OP, of all the things to complain about, this one is petty. Every form of entrainment references one thing or another. It's not being unoriginal or lazy. In fact, a lot of these are done in clever ways. I'm sure you can find other games and movies you like that also do what you're complaining about. 

Edited by Sajochi

UPXZehN.gif

Seriously though. DE has been doing this forever. It's nothing new.

At least this could be considered a tribute rather than directly taking ideas from other games which they've done.

They also follow popular trends in gaming. The reason Warframe is a horde shooter is because that was popular at the time.

Edited by Xzorn
  • Like 3

My writing coach once told me "nothing is new, everything has been done before. So if you are patting yourself on the back for creating something unique, stop because I can probably find someone who published something just like it before you."

Here is another one "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."

I am old enough to have seen it when it came out originally, And I thought it was cute. The vast majority of people who play this game probably don't have that reference point and so it's probably new to them. If you're annoyed turn it off or don't play? 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, MewmewGirl said:

Warframe is a great game with a lot of original content.  Most everything is their own made up lore that is very unique.  They have storytelling that really pulls me in the game and makes me forget briefly that it is a game it gets so deep and original.  It's unlike anything else and is normally very interesting.

I don't know if I should use spoiler tags for this, but here goes: Loki, Hildr, Valkyr(ie); Oberon, Titania; Nezha, Sun Wu Kong, Garuda; Vauban the military tactical genius, Margulis the researcher; Inaros warrior of the desert, Baruuk the pacifist monk/priest; Wyrmius, Happy Zephyr, FrameFighter; Kala-azar, Helminth, Ascaris.... Not going to bother pointing out Excalibur the sword, the weapons that spring to mind. 

These are the ones I am thinking of off the top of my head. Every single one of them is drawn from other places. So much so, that Nezha's perfectly accurate and fitting appearance (according to the mythology and culture that they drew him from) has caused a lot of trouble due to uninformed people making a rather obvious mistake, and a bunch of idiots making that a big deal. 

DE has done a great good job of remaining respectful of the sources they use for their inspiration. Claiming that after thousands of years of human history, nobody is allowed to use other characters appearing in previous works for inspiration, isn't very sensitive. 

• Like 2

"Hey DE, please stop stealing and copying ideas from other media, it's really lazy and has no place in Warframe."

"Anyway, time to continue playing this game, with a tag line of 'Ninjas Play Free'; where I can play as a character named after a French engineer, with a dog that has an Arabic name, while using a shotgun named after a Greek city,  a pistol named after a sea creature from Scandinavian folklore, and a Japanese sword."

How do you have a problem with one character being a reference, while not realizing this game has a whole collage of references. I hope you don't realize that Valkyr is not original too...

A rip off is when someone tries to copy something and pretend it was their original idea. An homage is a loving nod ot reference to something that came before. This is an homage. As pointed out, a lot of the frames are references to characters from other sources. In the real world, we emulate things that are from thousands of years ago, or are you going to go tell medieval fairs they need to stop doing their thing and that any place that does a pyramid themed Egyptian thing does too?

You are certainly entitled to your opinion and it's a shame that it bothers you. But it does seem you are in the minority, having it bother you.

Edited by Hobie-wan

1 minute ago, Hobie-wan said:

You are certainly entitled to your opinion and it's a shame that it bothers you. But it does seem you are in the minority, having it bother you.

My first feeling hearing Nora is that her presentation felt 'separate' from the rest of the way the game was in terms of humanity and the settler survivors, like she was shoehorned in.

My observation was 'She bothers me for reasons closer to the game' rather than a movie reference which I hadn't known about until just now. Probably still a minority, but there's no shortage of people who want to turn Nora off.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Vomitous said:

Probably still a minority, but there's no shortage of people who want to turn Nora off.

My impression was that a lot of the people that wanted to turn her off wanted to do so because she talks often and you do hear her lines a lot if you spend time in region/trade chat sitting in your ship. Much like some people are annoyed with Ordis talking frequently when you have quests going on. I certainly could have the wrong impression though.

vor 11 Stunden schrieb taiiat:

who is to say that the inspiration came directly from that piece of media? it could have come from an inspiration of an inspiration of an inspiration of that.

DE themselves did.

They talked about it and people who got that reference and they even asked in the devstream how many catched on that the nightwave thing is based on The Warriors

6 minutes ago, Airikr said:

DE themselves did.
They talked about it and people who got that reference and they even asked in the devstream how many catched on that the nightwave thing is based on The Warriors

neither here nor there really - the point was about that basically everything we create as humans is self referential. especially creative works like stories.

Edited by taiiat
  • Like 1

Alright, then how do you feel about Hideo Kojima effectively Steals and plagiarizes from other writers artists directors, and has gone from outright refusing to reference, too sometimes attacking and threatening lawsuits if those people sue him.

I think this homage is pretty tame compared to the crap hideo Kojima has pulled.