Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Poisonjack

Lockers and how they could be used to add more depth to the game's world

Recommended Posts

 Hey, people, what's up? I'm great, thank you for asking. If you'd like to skip my introduction as to why I'm writing this, skip to paragraph 5.

 So, I come here today with a particularly strange idea that I had while seeking out those Resource Caches in Sabotage missions, all for dear old Nora. This idea sprouted from the fact that I, though far from being what one would call a "top player"(I'm MR 12), absolutely love Warframe, for MANY reasons. One such reasons, which is by far the most important for me, is the lore.

 Warframe has seen a lot of growth since its launch, or so I presume from backtracking info, and while it introduced several new and reformulated game mode and mechanics over the past years, it also developed it's lore, by building a very deep and living world(or system, whatever you want to call it). This world, though, as much as I love it, in contrast to all the aforementioned, can feel barren and lackluster at times. And that takes me to a somewhat easy and cheap idea for them(DE) to make Lockers more interesting, while expanding a bit on the game's lore and worldbuilding.

 This idea I present to you has inspirations on two other games, namely Fallout 4 and the Dark Souls/Bloodborne series.

 So, we all know lockers grow less and less interesting the farther you are into the game, because they only drop few raw resources and/or Credits, besides Ammo. Sure, they serve their purpose, and are not useless or anything, just uninteresting. What I propose here is a change from(most of) these raw resources and credits to some items that could be broken down into said resources or sold for Credits.

 What would these items be? Well, I'm glad you asked, I was about to get into it. They would be mostly useless items to you as the player, but perhaps items that belonged to those Grineer clones or Corpus soldiers you just slaughtered. Stuff like Corpus portable computers, Grineer toolboxes, canned food, etc. Again, useless stuff for us, but that could be broken down into raw resources(like when we dismantle those robot fishes from Orb Vallis), or sold for a handful of Credits. Besides their practical uses, they could sport Item Descriptions, kinda like items do in Dark Souls, to provide us some background info on them, their functions and generally give us a better idea of the world.

 So, there you have it, a weird and somewhat useless idea as far as game mechanics go, but that could add a lot of room for worldbuilding.

 Thanks for reading.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How much can I get for the towel John Prodman keeps in his locker for wiping off the sweat after suffering from an hour of The Index?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, Poisonjack said:

.So, we all know lockers grow less and less interesting the farther you are into the game,

I dont know that... i guesss i’m one of those players that still open all locker on a mission. Most of ayatan stars dropped from lockers that i open

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Poisonjack said:

What would these items be? Well, I'm glad you asked, I was about to get into it. They would be mostly useless items to you as the player, but perhaps items that belonged to those Grineer clones or Corpus soldiers you just slaughtered. Stuff like Corpus portable computers, Grineer toolboxes, canned food, etc. Again, useless stuff for us, but that could be broken down into raw resources(like when we dismantle those robot fishes from Orb Vallis), or sold for a handful of Credits. Besides their practical uses, they could sport Item Descriptions, kinda like items do in Dark Souls, to provide us some background info on them, their functions and generally give us a better idea of the world.

This is pretty similar to horizon zero dawn's scrap box system. You'd sometimes find these boxes amongst loot, which you can open up for more loot.

That'd be pretty neat, but i don't see it fixing the fact that most higher level players don't care about resources as much as newbies do. So it may or may not fix nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its actually not a bad idea IMO. But to make it work, I think DE would need to create some new stuff that we could craft from the broken-down items, or else obtain by trading said components.

In addition to this, I don't think it would hurt too much to also have a small chance of dropping something more useful & interesting...weapon components, blueprints etc. Or even cosmetic items. These would have to be pretty rare though.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they should stick to scannables. Cephalon Fragments, memory fragments, kuria, encrypted journal fragments, kuria. There's quite a bit of lore to find if you know where to look.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the idea, you could break them down for resources as you say or decorate your orbiter with trophies like a serial killer.  Also like the idea of making some craftables from them too.

I bought a few of the items from Ticker's second hand like the food boxes and junk crates, really give my orbiter a lived in feeling, so similar (but smaller) items from lockers would be cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funnily enough, DE refused to place a single Locker in the entirety of in the Orb Vallis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, FlusteredFerret said:

But to make it work, I think DE would need to create some new stuff that we could craft from the broken-down items, or else obtain by trading said components.

When I mean break them down, I actually mean transforming them into the resources we already have. Sticking to my example, the Corpus portable computer could perhaps be broken down into mostly Circuits, a bit of Polymer bundle, while the Grineer toolbox could be broken down into mostly Ferrite, and a bit of Plastids.

 

7 hours ago, Invisibleaxeman said:

I like the idea, you could break them down for resources as you say or decorate your orbiter with trophies like a serial killer.  Also like the idea of making some craftables from them too.

I bought a few of the items from Ticker's second hand like the food boxes and junk crates, really give my orbiter a lived in feeling, so similar (but smaller) items from lockers would be cool.

Yeah, right? I didn't mention it in the original post, but I thought about Ticker's stuff as well, how they have that info on them, and how that gives us some depth into the SU's culture and way of life. Never thought about using these items as Orbiter/Dojo decorations though, and I think that is a great idea.

 

4 hours ago, Fishyflakes said:

Funnily enough, DE refused to place a single Locker in the entirety of in the Orb Vallis.

Indeed, but this could be easily changed. Though lockers are usually part of the level design and don't spawn like resource deposits/chests do, in the end they're just props that can be placed and removed at the dev's will. But knowing how capricious DE tends to be, I know they'd probably make a few changes to the terrain as well if they were to implement lockers.

 

Of course, this wouldn't be a priority for DE right now, as they are focused on Melee changes, I suppose. But a dreamer can dream, I suppose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

or maybe some new mods could be a type of broken/flawed mod fragment only found in lockers, and required multiple versions bolted together to try and create a complete version, with stats starting off rubbish and improving as you find more to form your complete mod which you can then rank up as usual once completely formed, probably a marginally more interesting way of dealing with some mods, our normal mods are already stacked to high proportions, might as well make it a feature for some mods.

You could do something similar with unique cosmetics and other stuff only found via that scavenging system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just want an Animation of my Warframe opening a Locker, Throwing out some Grinners Lunch and his Person Stuff and just shoving Credits into my Pockets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, (PS4)IroncladBomber said:

I just want an Animation of my Warframe opening a Locker, Throwing out some Grinners Lunch and his Person Stuff and just shoving Credits into my Pockets.

or your character opens the locker.... and....

giphy.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...