Whispers in the Walls: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Feedback on Wolf of Saturn Six

Acersecomic

Best CC I've found was by accident. Panicked (solo Kuva survival, so not really the time to get a visit) and Mass Vitrified the Fugitives, which also trapped my fellow Wolf as well. At some point he dashed upward-ish and escaped the glass prison (he must have been really pissed to be imprisoned again) but like I said, it was by accident, so I didn't cast MV while in the air for extra vertical range. Might have trapped him longer if I did, but idk for sure anyway.

Edited by Blade_Wolf_16
  • Like 1

I find he varies a lot in power.  I’ve fought him with good radiation weapons and barely scratched him.  I’ve also killed him in a few hits. He scales up really steeply.  

Overall, a good melee works well for me.  I try to lead him away from his buddies because if I die it’s almost always due to them and not Wolf.  When I think I have Wolf out of line of sight of his gang I just lay into him with melee.  I sometimes have to back off to heal, but most of the time he goes down rapidly as my combo counter goes up.  

I find many guns have fairly poor dps on Wolf, but if you can get into a position where he cannot get to you then it’s easy to whittle him down at range.  But melee is a lot faster for me.  

• Like 1

I like using a kavat to strip his armor, and a eternal war valkyr with either my dokrahm heavy blade zaw or the paracesis. Kills him in less than a minute depending on whether my kavat wants to strip his armor.

1 hour ago, Zilchy said:

Weapon wise I'm yet to find a better combo than Rubico P and Smeeta Kavat, Magus lockdown to hold him still as well, not sure if Temporal blast works? 
But I've heard Garuda can show him a good time as well.

From my testing temporal blast does nothing

2 hours ago, (PS4)guzmantt1977 said:

30k+ rad damage before crits, doesn't sound like a loss of any kind of punch. Better yet when status does proc on them, they pull some of the aggro allowing you to deal with their friends. 

And you figure that doing far less rad damage works better than doing more? Because 30k of rad damage from your normal fire turns most normal enemies into goop and anybody who survived THAT gets the same sort of radproc. 

Works wonders for the starchart except when farming with a Nekros, but still useful as an ace in the hole when you start running into too many eximus units later on in the run.

No viral procs is worse than viral procs. Radiation damage is complete crap against infested ancients. Viral damage doesn't do that well either, but proccing them will mean that I only need to deal with half of their health. Radiation damage is also no use against ferrite grineer, whereas viral still gets its 1.75x multiplier regardless. Radiation has a slight penalty against shields, whereas viral is neutral.

Again, I explicitly built my gun for rad + viral because I want both procs. They're useful to me in actual gameplay.

Sounds like you have a strange idea of what you're going to be facing in the game, considering what you have been complaining about. Also a strange idea of what levels of preparedness for regular missions in the star chart would be. Also a strange idea of what changing the viral to rad on your preferred weapon would do to your playstyle. Also a strange idea of what a badly designed enemy looks like.

An enemy which completely ignores a large part of the game's basic combat mechanics (status effects) with an extremely weird and inconsistent health type (alloy over alloy - why is it not armour over cloned flesh like all the other grineer in a suit?) and a bullcrap always active flat out damage resistance (the signature of lazy design). Yes, that's a badly designed enemy. You not picking up on any of those issues is not my fault.

Being prepared for regular missions (sorties too, my loadout serves me perfectly well there) means having the ability to confuse, knock down and halve the health of enemies all on one weapon, with armour stripping and a little slash procs (plus puncture procs, but nobody really cares about those) on the other, and having a sufficient spread of damage over my weapons that I can always pull out a damage type that any particular faction is weak to. This damage spread handles all grineer, all corpus, all infested, all void and (the operator handles) all sentients.

The rest of the assassins can be dealt with using this loadout or something similar. They were actually designed semi-competently. The G3 put out a lot of damage and are pretty well armoured, but you still get the choice of either radiation damage as something their armour doesn't resist well, corrosion procs to strip their armour, or slash procs to bypass it. Zanuka is very fast, has decent enough damage output and shuts off your powers, but it's also relatively fragile (armour stripping does again work here) and you can evade its attacks if you're good with your parkour. Stalker hits very hard and can potentially get a 95% resistance to absolutely everything... but you have the ability to remove those resistances with the operator, or you can stack a whole bunch of different damage types and get him before he adapts.

Wolf... has none of those options. There's no counter play, there's no thought involved, there's no test of the player's skill. It's nothing more than "rad crits or else". This is what bad design looks like. Same as the original form of nullicancer, actually - that was a case of "rapid fire, or else" (not that it's changed much in the interim).

And I know full well what I face in the game. The wolf has appeared either 4 or 5 times for me throughout the entire mission series. If he showed up every single mission, or even every two or three missions, then it might be worth considering (though this would get very old, very fast).

But he doesn't. I am not going to sacrifice utility (and I don't care what your opinion on this is, all of the procs which I've built for are incredibly useful to me) for what is, and let me state this YET AGAIN, an extremely rare occurence of a monster which drops nothing of value.

You've already shown that what you thought was a really great weapon for dealing damage to the wolf, is really very inferior for the purpose. Maybe just swap the profile of your weapon for one run and see if it causes the world to end. If the world doesn't end and you find it acceptable, you can run with it like that for a while until the event ends.

I never said that it was extremely good, only that it should be perfectly adequate seeing as how it already handles other alloy armoured grineer extremely well (kuva flood elite lancers go down in a single shot).

And again, I'm not altering my loadout and removing a very useful proc for three months (I believe that this event was stated as lasting 14 weeks) just because of one poorly designed low appearance rate random ambush monster.

Last night I ended up dealing 90% of the damage to the wolf on Hydron, but my squadmate had tossed out spectres that kept the wolf occupied while we worked on him. That contribution was greatly appreciated because it more than made up for any lack of ability to cause damage. That's infinitely more helpful than anyone who just tucks tail and quits at the first sign of a challenge. 

"Challenge" means that there's some level of skill required, and also implies that there is some kind of reward at the end. As has been mentioned time and time and time and time and time and time again, there is no challenge in a gigantic wall of hitpoints. There is nothing that the player can do in-game to accelerate the fight. There's no test of skill, no reward from headshots, no extra damage from dodging and shooting some lesser armoured part in his back, no varied strategies like the rest of the entire game allows. It's a gear check. A very specific gear check. Nothing more.

I will have nothing to do with badly designed crap like this. This is why I'd just abort the mission instantly unless he's very low level.

11 minutes ago, DoomFruit said:

The rest of the assassins can be dealt with using this loadout or something similar. They were actually designed semi-competently. The G3 put out a lot of damage and are pretty well armoured, but you still get the choice of either radiation damage as something their armour doesn't resist well, corrosion procs to strip their armour, or slash procs to bypass it. Zanuka is very fast, has decent enough damage output and shuts off your powers, but it's also relatively fragile (armour stripping does again work here) and you can evade its attacks if you're good with your parkour. Stalker hits very hard and can potentially get a 95% resistance to absolutely everything... but you have the ability to remove those resistances with the operator, or you can stack a whole bunch of different damage types and get him before he adapts.

Sorry but I just have to say the rest of the assassins are complete rubbish. The G3 die to a light sneeze, armour? What armour? Maybe when they were level 90 in Raids, the common ones are a complete joke. Zanuka usually dies before I realised I'd killed him, he's not fragile he's made of paper. Neither of these assassins require skill or present a challenge.

And Stalker? Well you seem to have forgotten what he was like when the shadow stalker came out originally or perhaps you weren't around. Either way, his adaptive armour FORCED you into bringing a few damage types on your weapons or you'd be shooting him for ages. And I don't just mean elemental types, you were best served bringing weapons of different IPS as well. Oh and status didn't work on him. We didn't have rivens, we didn't have operators and the strongest weapon in the game for shot power was either the opticor or sancti tigris. You're looking and praising the stalker's design at what it's like now and not what it was like on release. And who's to say that in the future we won't have some easy method of destroying the wolf?

• Like 2

I killed a lvl 30 Wolf with lvl15 Wukong and brand new regular Ankyros (both without potatoes) on Seimeni. It took about 4-5 minutes of non-stop hammering. All pugs, except one, ran away as soon as they saw him.

16 minutes ago, DoomFruit said:

No viral procs is worse than viral procs. Radiation damage is complete crap against infested ancients. Viral damage doesn't do that well either, but proccing them will mean that I only need to deal with half of their health. Radiation damage is also no use against ferrite grineer, whereas viral still gets its 1.75x multiplier regardless. Radiation has a slight penalty against shields, whereas viral is neutral.

Those ancients typically die in a single shot from my catchmoon, or a couple of shots from my pure rad arca plasmor depending on the level. (I'm not talking about hour long runs here.) 

If I'm hitting for about 100k rad damage, and they take a quarter of that, that's still out gunning your rad+viral. Dealing with half of their health half of the time is still a bigger chore than dealing with none of it because they died the first time I shot them. Same goes for shields. 

Again, I explicitly built my gun for rad + viral because I want both procs. They're useful to me in actual gameplay.

Still not seeing it. 

An enemy which completely ignores a large part of the game's basic combat mechanics (status effects) with an extremely weird and inconsistent health type (alloy over alloy - why is it not armour over cloned flesh like all the other grineer in a suit?) and a bullcrap always active flat out damage resistance (the signature of lazy design). Yes, that's a badly designed enemy. You not picking up on any of those issues is not my fault.

How many of the bosses shake off your status effects or ignore them completely? How many enemies have special damage reduction mechanics? Seems pretty consistent. 

Regarding why his health and armour are the same, probably so that people could build a single weapon that melts him so we wouldn't have as much whining about how difficult he is to kill. 

Being prepared for regular missions (sorties too, my loadout serves me perfectly well there) means having the ability to confuse, knock down and halve the health of enemies all on one weapon, with armour stripping and a little slash procs (plus puncture procs, but nobody really cares about those) on the other, and having a sufficient spread of damage over my weapons that I can always pull out a damage type that any particular faction is weak to. This damage spread handles all grineer, all corpus, all infested, all void and (the operator handles) all sentients.

Yeah I've used mine in all of those conditions. Even shot holes in an eidolon because I was getting peeved that all the newbs in the squad kept dying and having to be revived. 

Also pulling out very large amounts of damage, usually trumps pulling out very small amounts, even when resistances are tallied. At least it always seems to, under normal conditions. 

All of them melt. Even the Stalker. He doesn't have much chance to build resistance, neither do the bits of floatsam on Lua. 

Wolf... has none of those options. There's no counter play, there's no thought involved, there's no test of the player's skill. It's nothing more than "rad crits or else". This is what bad design looks like. Same as the original form of nullicancer, actually - that was a case of "rapid fire, or else" (not that it's changed much in the interim).

Yes because "use the environment to your advantage against this pure melee enemy" is apparently not a thing either for some people. 

And I know full well what I face in the game. The wolf has appeared either 4 or 5 times for me throughout the entire mission series. If he showed up every single mission, or even every two or three missions, then it might be worth considering (though this would get very old, very fast).

But he doesn't. I am not going to sacrifice utility (and I don't care what your opinion on this is, all of the procs which I've built for are incredibly useful to me) for what is, and let me state this YET AGAIN, an extremely rare occurence of a monster which drops nothing of value.

So again... There's an enemy that you are aware shows up, have faced several times, are unable to beat because of having weapons that are very weak against him (and not particularly strong against other stuff it looks like), and you choose not to prepare for him, and rather than do something about it, you've chosen to go with the "sour grapes" routine? 

I never said that it was extremely good, only that it should be perfectly adequate seeing as how it already handles other alloy armoured grineer extremely well (kuva flood elite lancers go down in a single shot).

Oh well, if you can one-shot them, that's obviously more than enough to take on anything in the game.... Except for all the the stuff that you can't one-shot, I suppose. 

And again, I'm not altering my loadout and removing a very useful proc for three months (I believe that this event was stated as lasting 14 weeks) just because of one poorly designed low appearance rate random ambush monster.

You need a new calendar. He'll probably only be around with the 6% spawn rate for a few more weeks. For most of the event he was a very rare spawn. 

And no problem. You're choosing not to prepare and I'm sure you will be the first to admit that if you run into him again, instead of complaining about him being hard to kill. 

"Challenge" means that there's some level of skill required, and also implies that there is some kind of reward at the end. As has been mentioned time and time and time and time and time and time again, there is no challenge in a gigantic wall of hitpoints. There is nothing that the player can do in-game to accelerate the fight. There's no test of skill, no reward from headshots, no extra damage from dodging and shooting some lesser armoured part in his back, no varied strategies like the rest of the entire game allows. It's a gear check. A very specific gear check. Nothing more.

Being a heart surgeon requires skill and knowledge. Being an automotive mechanic requires skill and knowledge. They don't require the same skills and knowledge. 

You want to be able to cheese every single challenge in the exact same way. You don't realise that "don't aim for the head, aim for his ridiculously large weak spot instead" is rewarding for people who do the right thing for this particular fight. You are pretending that most of his strengths, (status immune, ignores warframe ability, damage reduction) are unique to the wolf and not things that we've been dealing with for a long time despite different combinations showing up all of the time. Heck you're even trying to make out that a single health-armour type makes his harder to kill when it's quite the opposite. 

I will have nothing to do with badly designed crap like this. This is why I'd just abort the mission instantly unless he's very low level.

"If he's easy for me to kill, then I'm okay with it, but if he's hard because I don't want to prepare myself it's badly designed"? 

Sorry Tenno, that's not a great look. But you get points for honesty. 

38 minutes ago, Zilchy said:

And who's to say that in the future we won't have some easy method of destroying the wolf?

Shoot him with high crit radiation damage is pretty easy already. I'm thinking that they might need to put in "press the 'j' button to win" before everyone is satisfied. 

• Like 1

I just bring my plague keewar built for crit with blood rush and condition overload with a cc, cd, and range riven.  That and my chroma and he goes down in about 30 seconds no matter how high his level is.  Having rage and gladiator finesse mods on the frame and an elevate and husk arcane on operator and u can pretty much face tank him.