Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Any plans to optimise Fortuna/Orb Vallis like Cetus/Plains of Eidolon?

Supern00b7

I've started playing this game long ago, and I went through the opening phase of plains of eidolon (POE). Back then, I remembered my potato of a PC can't even run it properly and always at 5 fps, "stutter-lagging" (the kind of lag that the entire computer just hangs and loads like a slideshow). I recall DE launched a few updates (Hotfix 22.2.5 is one of them) for optimising performance, hence I was only able to play POE after these updates, which made me enjoyed so much more of POE (and completed Plague Star few times, solo and team).

Fast forward to Fortuna/Orb vallis (OV) release, I faced the same problem of "5 fps" performance, and I found a workaround by using the 32-bit client instead of 64-bit client. Able to play at 30fps with less "stutter lags". I managed to play OV with others, but that sometimes overheats my PC.

Now with the removal of 32-bit client, I cannot play with friends/public teams as my PC would just hang, disconnect and boot me back to login menu due to the notorious requirements to load OV with 64-bit and DirectX 10. Hardware performance slowed in overall, and Exploiter Orb fight was a 40 minute chore because of the loading/transitioning across maps, boss loading etc. I notice ridiculous amounts of RAM being used up (even AFK in orbiter takes up 1 GB at lowest settings? Wow)

My settings are the lowest of low, including FPS capping at 30 fps, though I had to turn on HDR and Adaptive Exposure because turning those off would result in the "white snow glare" on OV extremely bad and all I see would be just white blurs. 

I am running on a "toaster" and I don't expect much, but I do wish optimisations can be done, if possible. Thanks.

*** will post screenshots when i have the time***

3 minutes ago, EDM774 said:

Maybe it's time to ditch the toaster and get a microwave?

Sponsor me friend ;)

Jokes aside I don't have these issues with POE, sad to get all of them in OV only, hopefully we get some love for the toasters/hotplates 

Edited by Supern00b7

Orb Vallis has new tech in it that they are going back and adding to POE because it's better... So to answer you question, not any time soon. Toaster going to do just what it's named, toasting.

Edited by Zelmen

The stutter problem was introduced, or perhaps worsened in PoE when they did the draw distance stuff and other changes ostensibly trying to make it more friendly to older hardware. I used to be able to run my graphics on full blast while recording everything but the change made things horrible. One thing I have found is that turning off Anisotropic filtering helps a LOT, not just in PoE and Cetus, but all earth missions, Ceres where theres weather and in Orb Vallis and Fortuna. Submitting a ticket got me some of the worst advice I have ever seen, they didn't read what I was telling them was happening and gave me a generic "fix" that forced my monitor to be at a resolution it cant do, thankfully Microsoft (of all things) caught this and auto-fixed it, before it did that a high pitched screech came out of my computer as my video card tried to do something impossible. If you are told to delete some settings file, DONT DO IT, its very very bad advice.

So this was snipped from the new remastered POE (update 24.6):

15 hours ago, [DE]Megan said:

We’ve added a suite of improvements, including updated terrain textures, dynamic lighting, richly detailed trees and foliage, as well as a more nuanced day/night cycle. Plus, with all the technical improvements, the Plains runs smoother than ever!

I'm rather optimistic that OV would get its performance optimisation. Any [DE]velopers can answer this? 

This POE update actually drops framerate by over 50%, so I wouldn't count on it. DE's current stance is that if you don't have money to spend on upgrades, they don't want you playing Warframe anyway. Never mind the vast number of PC gamers who only play a small handful of older or lighter games, like Warframe and Counterstrike, and are happy to sink money to keep those ships sailing rather than buying the newest EA or Ubisoft whatevers and having to buy a new GPU every 2~3 years.

Even lowest settings, with resolution scale set to 50%, and the GPU underutilized, POE runs worse than it did before on high settings and 100% resolution scale, and none of the settings besides resolution scale really make much of a difference in anything.

On 2019-04-06 at 12:51 AM, NezuHimeSama said:

This POE update actually drops framerate by over 50%

YES omg i just want to come back to say, it almost killed my eyes too because of so much texture and particles (and explosions) almost spoiled my PC

I was like "oh its just another tridolon day" until gary's beams suddenly just went "false-coloured", which only happened in this update, hydrolyst rain wasnt much enjoyable either