Coming Soon: Devstream #126!

[DE]Rebecca

48 minutes ago, Simca1640 said:

Are you considering any changes to 'Creds' to make Nightwave Seasons more newbie-friendly?

Specifically, while the prices for Nitain, Vauban parts, Catalysts, Reactors, and auras seems relatively fine, the prices for helmets, weapon blueprints, and weapon skins is crazy high compared to how often those alerts were up (helmet blueprints were literally the most common non-endo/non-credit alert type). This means that unlike veterans, who were able to acquire all of the helmets very quickly, new players will take about a year to gather them all. While that by itself isn't an issue, the problem is the massive opportunity cost. To get those helmets, you're giving up on a year of Auras, Catalysts, and Reactors, which is something new players can't afford to do.

The other major issue is that Wolf Cred are grouped up so infrequently (every 3-5 ranks) into batches of 50. While fine for veterans who can complete every single weekly challenge, this situation means that new players who can't complete every challenge (due to star chart progress or other factors) literally can't obtain Nitain early on. This can lead to them getting blueprints that take them multiple weeks to build through trades for Prime Warframes. I read of a new player who bought Nekros Prime's parts but could not build him due to the Nitain issue despite doing all Nightwaves that week that were possible for him.

So yeah, have you considered looking into the 'Wolf Creds' prices and acquisition more closely for the next season? Most people I know really like the ranking system and its rewards (20k kuva, slots, etc), but opinions vary wildly on the Wolf Creds.

Seconding this.  The Nightwave system is a much nicer system overall in that it doesn't demand newbies download some app and religiously watch it for updates for a game they have barely started playing just to be able to progress and unlock basic stuff, but rather allowing them to earn things and spend credits on the important basics that seem most important to them. However, the exact execution of this nicer system does leave some room to be desired, I feel I can now say after a few weeks of experience with it and having brought on board a friend as a new player into this new system.

The helmets might be some cause for concern since they take away some of the easy and fun "collect-and-customize" aspect that was a great selling point for Warframe to new players previously now that players have to deliberately sacrifice chances to buy IMPORTANT mods and resources (Nitain) to get them.  My biggest gripe, however, is by far the cost of Vauban and the alert weapons and the distribution of Wolf credits.  I'll start with the distribution of credits since the quoted post touched on that and get on my soapbox about Vauban/weapons thereafter.

DE did something VERY NICE and newbie-friendly with the free inventory slots being in the low-rank rewards.  This helps newbies start expanding their arsenal without having to commit to the trade system or buying platinum, which helps free players get going, and paying players to bide their time until they can make an informed purchase of the plat size they think will best suit them.  Wolf credits should also incorporate this aspect.  They should be biased toward the start of the event, so that new players can get many, quickly, to buy their aura mods and Nitain.  New players need Wolf credits the most, and sadly, they are very inaccessible without extremely diligent commitment to completing the challenges (which they can't do without a veteran to guide them and even then some challenges will be impossible, like the elite weeklies of most weeks).  As a veteran I am getting far more creds than I could ever use, but I'm not the person that needs them.  Have it so that by reward tier 15, a player will have already unlocked ALL the Wolf credits of the entire season.

Now.  The biggie.  Vauban and the former alert weapons.  New players are not going to know (without a veteran friend to warn them off) that Vauban is currently in one of the worst positions of any warframe in the game right now by popular opinion nor that the alert weapons belong in a category most players call "mastery fodder."  And yet, for some reason, the weapons are an ENTIRE bundle of 50 Wolf credits a pop!  Vauban is even worse, requiring 75 Wolf credits - more than they can even get from a single bundle which new players are going to struggle for.  How do you think a newbie is going to feel saving up and getting excited over a WHOLE NEW WARFRAME only to find out it's almost unplayable (ESPECIALLY without good mods as Vauban is far, far more unfriendly with low-rank mods than even most warframes because he relies on min-maxed perma-cc'ing)?  It's going to be a massive buzzkill, especially when they start to grow more competent and realize how badly they need things like Corrosive Projection and such for recruitment squads to be allowed on as a leech, as many new players seek to do?  The former alert weapons are the same deal.  Even for a newbie player that gets warned off from them by a veteran, it's going to feel terrible when they get to high MR and in order to finish the last few mastery ranks they realize they are going to have to blow an entire season of Nightwave rewards on just stuff they fully intend to discard immediately upon leveling.

In essence, what I'm saying is that I'm loving Nightwave and it sets the infrastructure for a much more newbie-friendly system than alerts were, but it's not quite there just yet.  The credit distribution (on the rewards chart) and the credit costs of many items need to be readjusted before new players are going to feel comfortable.  I'd certainly like to hear on devstream any updates to this tune, on how the next Nightwave seasons are planned as far as reward rebalancing goes, because I think we it adjusted a bit more to favor the newbies than it does right now.

4 hours ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

Please ask your questions here!

Why does WF have mechanics introduced by slow-paced shooters with pretentions to realism? Specifically magazine reloading, weapon recoil, and slow weapon switching? Old-school fast-paced shooters like Doom or Quake had none of that and were a blast to play. Melee 2.9 is a half-step to that with instant switching between melee and gun, why not go all the way?

Would it be possible for us to get a queue system for the same item in the foundry? For example, PoE and OV mining resources can be refined in the foundry for some creds and other resources (which is fine) but each time you build them it takes one minute, then you need to claim them, and build again until you have what you need. Instead of sitting in my foundry for ten minutes waiting for stuff to build, why not spend the same resources and creds as normal, but have them ALL build one after another while I do missions for ten minutes then come back to ten sets of that item built. It would increase not only mine, but other players QoL IMMENSELY. The days of refining 190+ goblite tears for 19 minutes has to end

Any chance of scaling up excavator health according to mission level? It's a little vexing to have them go down under a second's worth of enemy fire at higher levels, and at this point they're basically the only defense objective that doesn't have any kind of health scaling, so it's an issue of consistency if nothing else.

I believe the Fishing, Mining and Hunting system can have it's own exclusive cosmetic rewards (like the fish trophies or fluffs) but materials needed in order to craft weapons, amps or even to raise up ranks in the syndicates needs another option. A more focused combat option. a Bounty system more dynamic and rewarding.

Right now, Fortuna has "extra objectives" that gives the player a little bit of an extra challenge in order to get better/extra rewards. This should be added to Eidolon as well. But in both cases, we need more than one challenge. If, during the time the mission lasts, the player manages to do one of said challenges, give them another. Maybe up to three per Bounty Stage?  If i'm doing a defense, why not give me more to do than just kill mindlessly or sit inside Frost's bubble doing nothing? Heck, i might not be able to accomplish all three if i don't move fast enough. 

And while we are there: add more bounties! make them refresh faster, give us more than one of the same level, make the extra challenges change everytime i repeat the same one. 

I did a full post here, in case anyone wants to debate or add more feedback to it:

Hi! Are there any plans to more clearly show what buffs Smeeta Kavats give? I often don’t notice the purrs and growls that my kavat makes when a buff happens, and the text disappears very fast, could you perhaps make unique icons for all of their buffs?

Are there any plans to nerf the Wolf encounter?

Thanks!

Can we have a definitive answer if catchmoon projectiles are supposed to dissipate whenever they hit any edge/geometry instead of having any punch through like the arca plasmor and even equipping a punchthrough mod doesn't provide punchthrough through thin terrains. 

Certain effects like pax seeker projectile colours reverting to default and skins like garuda's successor skin talons revert to their original untextured look instead of being skinned when playing as a client. Could this be fixed?

The example of garuda successor talon texture reverting while being a client is found in the link below.

1. When will the new fortuna amps' pieces' placements issues get a fix?

2. Any updates on Zephyr [DE]luxe? 

3. What is next on the list of melee 2.9999999999999999?

3-1) Duel wielding? 

4. What are the plans for the pets rework? 

5. Any new status updates on movement 3.0?

6. What can we expect in the archwing rework coming with railjack? (If it is indeed planned) 

7. When will that sidequest of Ordis come out?

8. Any new Ephemeras? I'd like a ground cracking ephemera. 

Thanks for the update, very excited to see the abilities for Wisp.

I was wondering after Railjack, will there be an Infested open-world, or a continuation on Helminth? I would love to see more infested themed gear, especially an Archwing, or something more to do with the infested room in our ship.

Is there anything in the works for profiles? No one seems to acknowledge the fact that operator stances have been removed from the profile for months now. With all these new tennogen cosmetics for operators I'd think it would be important to be able to show them off in a properly working profile right? Beyond that, will we see a revamped profile later on down the line? I think the profile is such a huge way for players to show off their fashion frame in a game that values its cosmetic appeal. You all have been doing such a great job with the new UI so I can only hope that the profile receives the same love. Thanks!

Archived