Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The current state of Warframe and it's Open Worlds

Aenris

Introduction
Hi everybody! i've been a Warframe player for more than 5 years or so and wanted to share some of my ideas.

Disclaimer: these are my opinions. These are how i feel. I'm gonna criticize the actual systems working on Fortuna and Eidolon, and all of these are based on my own experiences. You may disagree and that's okay. These are about this videogame we love, and my interest is to make it better than already is through feedback. If you don't like what i think, please, point out why so Developers can hear both sides

Open Worlds: The short version is that I don't like them. I know the Warframe team came up with something we didn't expect, amazing us twice at Tennocon. The artwork is amazing, exploring, finding caves with weird Orokin ruins and lore. It feels great! but the great impressions, to me, didn't last.

The Problems i see in open worlds:

I've been struggling with the game lately, not having much to do but helping my clanmates or decorating the dojo. With nightwave and some relic farming, my love for Warframe reignited when i realized that what i like from the game is the combat. And the thing with open worlds is that you need to fish, mine and hunt to progress in syndicates or acquiring new gear. Or, you can always repeat the same bounty/boss over, and over until you memorize the actors' voice lines. It's not a very dynamic system, and to me, Eidolon and Fortuna ended as beautiful big spaces with nothing fun to do.

And speaking of Bounties: these are the biggest problem in my opinion. These are based around the main mechanics in the game (combat, capture, defenses, objective based things) but If you compare farming materials with bounties with fishing or mining, it can take a ridiculous amount of extra time. Specially with the Gara and Revenant parts and the bunch of stuff that i can find laying in the ground (i'm looking at you Iradite)

In Fortuna, the problem it's aggravated when you need a specific debt bond, and the ticker doesn't have any in stock. If you don't have access to Profit Taker, the only way is waiting until the bounty with the item you need appears. And when it does, you need to grind that one bounty that may or may not drop the quantity you need, making the grind of the same exact mission over and over and over... well you got it already.

This is less relevant to my main argument, but worth talking about: The extra stuff that might qualify as "side quests" also takes a lot of time and repetitive tasks. Take the K-Drives for example: i was really excited about using one. But When i realized that it had: 5 full syndicate ranks, That i had to level most of these to acquire the parts i actually liked (not the first ones available), That the only way to fill up the daily 27k in a reasonable amount of time was grinding in the tube behind Fortuna, That all of this work was for something only useful in Open Worlds, That already is not more useful than flying with my already modded and maxed Archwing ...I ended up farming prime parts and buying the "today's special". And i mean, i find it fun, why make it a thing that takes so much time? couldn't we had 2 or 3 ranks and be done with it? specially when you tie it with Mastery Rank?

My proposed solutions

I believe the Fishing, Mining and Hunting system can have it's own exclusive cosmetic rewards (like the fish trophies or fluffs) but materials needed in order to craft weapons, amps or even to raise up ranks in the syndicates needs another option. A more focused combat option. a Bounty system more dynamic and rewarding.

Right now, Fortuna has "extra objectives" that gives the player a little bit of an extra challenge in order to get better/extra rewards. This should be added to Eidolon as well. But in both cases, we need more than one challenge. If, during the time the mission lasts, the player manages to do one of said challenges, give them another. Maybe up to three per Bounty Stage?  If i'm doing a defense, why not give me more to do than just kill mindlessly or sit inside Frost's bubble doing nothing? Heck, i might not be able to accomplish all three if i don't move fast enough. 

And while we are there: add more bounties! make them refresh faster, give us more than one of the same level, make the extra challenges change everytime i repeat the same one. Make it less like the old alert system where i had to wait for a specific moment to farm a specific something. Between having to wait for the right bounty to show up, the time it takes to complete a full bounty, the repetitive it gets and the poor rewards, nobody would feel motivated to grind them.

and why not take it One step further: Why not add Fortuna materials to Venus missions and Eidolon Materials to Earth missions? Perhaps, in a lower drop rate. Perhaps the Corpus/Grineer have stashes of rare Fortuna/Eidolon materials hidden in their base. And considering DE is planning on reworking the difficulty so we can choose a higher level mission in low level planets, why not add rewards in these missions with said materials?

Conclusion
Warframe is a game where i always felt a sense of freedom. I was Never bothered with the farm. Perhaps some drop rates, to be honest, but that's expected. I've been playing here for 5 years already and never quit. If i wasn't in the mood to farm in a defense, i always could go to a survival. With open worlds and the mining/fishing system, that freedom was somewhat lost. In a game where combat is a main mechanic, having to drop my Bow & arrows to pick up a laser pointer and look in rock walls is not engaging or fun.

And we already struggled in the past with repetitive tasks: Doing Sargas Ruk (or Draco) over and over for Orokin Cells? Or farming prime parts exclusively in the Void? These issues were addressed (and even fixed) but the open worlds seem to take the same old philosophy we, as players, disliked already. With Nightwave, i feel the game took one step on the right direction. Challenges, multiple goals in a single mission that keeps me giving me extra objectives or challenges. That's what i hope for the Bounty system.

Again: Give us Options to farm, based on the combat and challenges we already love from Warframe.

Thank you.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Aenris said:

Why not add Fortuna materials to Venus missions and Eidolon Materials to Earth missions?

If people had the opportunity to grind for hours on the same mission to get the same results of 15 minutes of fishing or mining, they would, and then some. This becomes an issue when DE goes to make something new and has to consider the fact people have nolifed mountains of formerly rare-ish materials.

If you don't like to do those things, then there is always trading Plat for someone else doing those things in your stead.

• Like 3

hace 13 minutos, peterc3 dijo:

If people had the opportunity to grind for hours on the same mission to get the same results of 15 minutes of fishing or mining, they would, and then some. This becomes an issue when DE goes to make something new and has to consider the fact people have nolifed mountains of formerly rare-ish materials.

If you don't like to do those things, then there is always trading Plat for someone else doing those things in your stead.

as i established: in a lower drop rate. Where it's probably not worth farming Fortuna/Eidolon items exclusively. But maybe you went for Neurodes or Lith relics and hey: got a bit of Travoride in the process.

I'd admit, this is more of a cohesion thing with the world building with a bit of an option for those who don't enjoy that much open worlds, without having to farm platinum instead.

Edited by Aenris

40 minutes ago, Aenris said:

I'd admit, this is more of a cohesion thing with the world building with a bit of an option for those who don't enjoy that much open worlds, without having to farm platinum instead.

The fact of the matter is: the open tiles are here to stay. It is the next phase of Warframe's future. I really can't see DE making it remotely viable to skip a ton of their work simply because you aren't the biggest fan of it.

I'd like it if both these places had an extra tier of difficulty specifically for Corpus and Grineer, not the fancy bosses and impervious airships, that had us go underground into a 'randomized' lair. 

These lairs would be stockpiled with resources collected in the open world, but they overall level designs would be similar to the classic game of hallway shooting. 

Wouldn't even need to make it a bounty, just add a few locations that have a deep elevator and potentially keeps getting deeper and the levels start around 70, as it quickly gets to sortie level. 

Allowing us to steal resources. 

I'd like to see incursions 2.0. Instead of single-stage bounties, they're relatively difficult, pre-set events that trigger after spending time around a certain area or doing certain objectives (for example, hacking existing data vaults, stuff left behind from damaged coildrives etc, or for PoE found in caves or those mobile vaults)

Basically, Konzu/Eudico calls in, exposits something the Grineer/Corpus are up to and says for us to get over there.

They could be fairly small, even reusing assets (For example, Fortuna could be a shipment of materials guarded by an existing Corpus boss, like a squadron of Lynxes or old-style Jackal), with pretty high levels but fairly chunky rewards.

Like, with that 'shipment' example, they could be clantech materials, including Mutagen Samples.

There could be a bevy of options with many levels, rewards ranging from Open-world materials to 'end game' stuff, like Nitain for really high-level stuff. Maybe also Sentient Cores and Toroids.

Throwing out some thoughts:

"Killer! Quills whispered something about a bunch of Sentient Cores the Grineer are shipping out soon. Didn't know where, but what you picked up just now? Seems like a report for that. Head over there and stop them, eh Surah?" (Cache hunt mission, but with Ogma's and Dargyn's hounding you, as well as enemies dropping in. Each cache holds Sentient cores)

"Sparky, that data you just picked up mentioned shipping in new Raknoids from their production facility. They're tested up at the Temple grounds. It won't be easy, but... if you rough them up now that's fewer to interfere in our objectives later. Tell you what - if you reckon you can handle that, we'll send someone in to try and nab some Toroids for you whilst they're distracted." (Basically, beat up several high level Raknoids)