Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Yet another thread about how stealth attack should have never been on the melee button

DoomFruit

Stealth attacks. Or counters, in the case of parried/blinded enemies. An attack which puts you through a pre-animated "takedown" sequence (which may or may not actually take down the enemy) to deal more damage.

The vast majority of the time, I don't want to do them. My normal attacks are enough to fell an enemy in one hit. If they can't, then two or even three strikes should be enough. I just want to hit the enemy and keep moving. Doubly so if I'm flying through the air and trying to do a spin attack. I'd expect myself to keep that momentum while striking, but do it wrong and woop, you're suddenly locked dead still.

I do NOT want to be suddenly rooted in place and forced to watch my character twirl around for a bit. This a) often results in me getting seen by said enemy's buddies, thus breaking stealth; and b) it breaks my momentum. It's incredibly annoying.

Could someone explain why stealth attacks were put on the melee key as opposed to something more sensible like the use key? It's not like the use key has any other functions in combat. Especially given that when you're in close proximity to the enemy, you're likely going to be spamming the melee key while moving around. Having the game suddenly take away the "moving around" part is incredibly jarring (and the main reason why I utterly despise stance melee, but that's another topic entirely).

15 minutes ago, DeckChairVonBananaCamel said:

An option would be nice, like a "use interact key as finisher attack" toggle in the gameplay section of the options menu

or add it to the key bindings menu

If they're giving finishers their own key (or key combo). Do the same for slam attacks.

There's a window between certain angles where you do either a slam attack or an air attack and I haven't figured out if there's some logic which one happens or if it's fully random.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Naftal said:

If they're giving finishers their own key (or key combo). Do the same for slam attacks.

There's a window between certain angles where you do either a slam attack or an air attack and I haven't figured out if there's some logic which one happens or if it's fully random.

I might be remembering this wrong, but i believe when they were showing off some earlier melee 3.0 stuff, the crosshair changed when a slam attack would occur.

It might come when they introduce the combo changes, as i think the aerial attack changes will come with that

10 minutes ago, DeckChairVonBananaCamel said:

I might be remembering this wrong, but i believe when they were showing off some earlier melee 3.0 stuff, the crosshair changed when a slam attack would occur.

It might come when they introduce the combo changes, as i think the aerial attack changes will come with that

Even if the crosshair changed it wouldn't be good. Just give it alternate button or some button combo instead.

29 minutes ago, Naftal said:

Even if the crosshair changed it wouldn't be good. Just give it alternate button or some button combo instead.

again, this might be the mandela effect, but i believe they are adding a light/heavy attack system, hopefully they make heavy attack do the chargeable groundslam, whilst the light does the aerial combos

9 hours ago, DeckChairVonBananaCamel said:

An option would be nice, like a "use interact key as finisher attack" toggle in the gameplay section of the options menu

Community has kicked this idea around forever. Devs have never responded as far as I'm aware. FWIW, I agree with you.

🤨

Edited by DaftMeat