Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Stradavar prime aesthetics, problematic.

LordPantaloonsthe3rd

Ok so I like the overall design of the weapon, it looks graceful, svelte and you can still see the relation to the Stradavar. Its unique without it looking like a super dolled up version of the non-prime gun like the Tiberon or Boltor prime. However the the curvature of the barrel is quickly putting it on the avoid using list. I know this is a scifi spaceninja nonsese videogame and there are tons of examples of nonsense weapon designs in the game that doesnt bother me much but I'm having a lot of trouble looking past the curved barrel.

I cant be the only one bothered by this, it genuinely ruins the entire gun for me to the point where i wished I hadnt sold my old Stradavar because I would rather use it with its worse stats because I hate the curved barrel on the prime that much.

9e5737002e.jpg

504843cf8d.jpg

When I use it I feel like I'm aiming a pool noodle not a machinegun, I genuinely like the design but this one part completely ruins it and I really wish DE would straighten out the barrel. The old Stradavar is in my top 10 used primaries but with the prime's barrel being curved like it is I cant see myself ever touching it again unless DE straightens the barrel or makes non-prime skins usable on prime weapons.

Am I being unreasonable here?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, WhiteMarker said:

Kind of.
The barrel isn't curved. Why would anyone build a curved barrel? It's just the casing that's curved. That's all.

I'm with you on this. There is ample room in the body of the gun there for a perfectly straight barrel, especially one firing medium caliber bullets you'd expect from a rifle, though I'm sure you could fit a larger caliber barrel in there with room to spare as well.

Edited by Ceryk
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Ceryk said:

I'm with you on this. There is ample room in the body of the gun there for a perfectly straight barrel, especially one firing rifle sized bullets, though I'm sure you could fit a larger caliber barrel in there with room to spare as well.

idk about that, draw a line from the bottom of the casing around the "barrel" and theres no room at the end of the gun for a barrel to actually be there unless its shooting some kinda super small sub-munition type round or something. I'm not trying to apply stringent gun design laws to this thing but it breaks the basics and it just doesnt work.

ec49a00ccb.png

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, WhiteMarker said:

The barrel isn't curved. Why would anyone build a curved barrel? It's just the casing that's curved. That's all. 

6 minutes ago, Ceryk said:

I'm with you on this. There is ample room in the body of the gun there for a perfectly straight barrel, especially one firing medium caliber bullets you'd expect from a rifle, though I'm sure you could fit a larger caliber barrel in there with room to spare as well.

I'm totally with those two. Apart from that there may be only one skin for the Stradavar, but there is one. You could use the Day of the Dead skin (as soon as you can get your hands on it) to switch the new model for the old one. The textures may not be to your liking but at least the silhouette will be.

Just kinda assumed it wasn't firing bullets but instead clouds of metal particulate that coalesce once they clear the muzzle.

Look, the Orokin had a tenuous connection at best with reality and a whole lot of their S#&$ reflects that with a "Can we do it?"-attitude, in place of good design practices. Ya just kinda gotta roll with these things.

4 minutes ago, LordPantaloonsthe3rd said:

idk about that, draw a line from the bottom of the casing around the "barrel" and theres no room at the end of the gun for a barrel to actually be there unless its shooting some kinda super small sub-munition type round or something. I'm not trying to apply stringent gun design laws to this thing but it breaks the basics and it just doesnt work.

ec49a00ccb.png

The magazine looks a bit cone/funnel like, so munition could curl its way from top edge of the magazine to the bottom where it is touching the gun and be inserted into the receiver there. Thus the firing mechanism could be a little lower and the barrel could be tipped slightly up at the muzzle on this picture, like 5 degrees or something like that. That way it could work. Just use your imagination. ;D

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheGrimCorsair said:

Just kinda assumed it wasn't firing bullets but instead clouds of metal particulate that coalesce once they clear the muzzle.

Look, the Orokin had a tenuous connection at best with reality and a whole lot of their S#&$ reflects that with a "Can we do it?"-attitude, in place of good design practices. Ya just kinda gotta roll with these things.

i know and I try to but this one just kills it for me, maybe its cause I really like the normal stradavar where as others who are also proper weird I could just ignore cause I dont like them as much.

Dunno if anyone saw this one reddit:

MOtl1PL.png

Apparently, it was based off a theme, which would explain the odd shape.

Hopefully this provides some more insight, but I have to agree with the others. It looks like a piece of orokin handrail they just decided to take off and use as a gun.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Snydrex said:

Dunno if anyone saw this one reddit:

MOtl1PL.png

Apparently, it was based off a theme, which would explain the odd shape.

Hopefully this provides some more insight, but I have to agree with the others. It looks like a piece of orokin handrail they just decided to take off and use as a gun.

yea i already knew the theme for it, the name was pretty obvious to me when i saw it the first time. Despite this I think it looks bad to have the barrel curved as it is. While I like that DE didnt just add more gold bits and call it a day like they have for others I just really really dont like this once aspect of an otherwise awesome looking design.

Edited by LordPantaloonsthe3rd

The Stradavar Prime looks like it was designed by Dr. Seuss. Maybe you could paint it green and give it to the Grinch?

And sure, I can see it looking like a violin bow. But they could have gotten that same effect without making the barrel all wiggly.

• Like 1

The weird curve in the barrel does make it look kinda bad, unfortunately. You really can't even make the argument that it's to resemble a violin bow because what respectable violin bow has a loose, saggy string? It seriously looks like an artifact from a bad photoshop job; they thought the end looked too fat, so they just squashed it in and now it just looks warped.

Yeah. I think it looks terrible.
As a fan of the gun from way back, my favorite thing about the classic Stradavar was the way it looked and sounded like a WW2 machinegun.

The reason it was named the Stradavar IS a reference to the Stradivarius violins, but not the fact that they are violins.
Instead, the name reflects how those instruments are masterpieces that are handed down from generation to generation unaltered.
This is reflected in the gun with its early-20th-century aesthetic.

Making the prime gun look like a literal violin bow is the kind of wrong-headed literalist stupidity you'd find in WoW or a similarly jokey game.

I hate it.

Edited by auxy

6 minutes ago, auxy said:

Making the prime gun look like a literal violin bow is the kind of wrong-headed literalist stupidity you'd find in WoW or a similarly jokey game.

Kind of like giving a robot a top hat for a head and bow tie for a chest plate because its "cute". Honestly, with how DE has been getting so literal with their design references lately, I'm surprised the Stradavar Prime wasn't just a violin with a pistol grip and gold trim.

14 minutes ago, Avlaen said:

i wish prime weapons could use their non primed skins, like frames

I agree. For people who will be confused by this post as I was, he means to simply use the appearance of the base weapon on the prime weapon.

You CAN use alternate skins, of course; e.g. you can use the Paris' Abra, Day of the Dead, Forest-Camo, Kintsugi, Nocturne, and Dryad skins on the Paris Prime.

But I agree. I'd really prefer the standard look of the Stradavar. This prime model is just insulting.
It'd be nice on other weapons too, like the Spira Prime. I think the Spira looks awesome. The Spira Prime looks like a dumb anime joke weapon.

Edited by auxy

On 2019-04-04 at 2:50 PM, TheGrimCorsair said:

This applies with much of the overall Warframe aesthetic, if we're being truthful about things.

On 2019-04-06 at 1:11 PM, auxy said:

I agree. For people who will be confused by this post as I was, he means to simply use the appearance of the base weapon on the prime weapon.

You CAN use alternate skins, of course; e.g. you can use the Paris' Abra, Day of the Dead, Forest-Camo, Kintsugi, Nocturne, and Dryad skins on the Paris Prime.

But I agree. I'd really prefer the standard look of the Stradavar. This prime model is just insulting.
It'd be nice on other weapons too, like the Spira Prime. I think the Spira looks awesome. The Spira Prime looks like a dumb anime joke weapon.

I wouldnt go so far as to say its insulting even if you dislike it completely, thats a bit too far. it is just a skin for a weapon, hardly something that could be considered insulting. I just like the stradavar a lot and it sucks that I just cant stand to use the clearly superior primed version because of one specific feature of a design that I otherwise love.

3 hours ago, Nukesnipe said:

Personally I figure it fires plasma or somesuch, considering that the magazine makes zero sense.  Honestly it's probably my favorite Prime design, barring Ballistica.

Could be a battery or plasma cell, it doesnt eject any casings while firing, at least not that ive noticed. Like I said in my op I love the aesthetics of the design but this one feature kills me.

On 2019-04-04 at 4:50 PM, TheGrimCorsair said:

On almost any other weapon I'd be totally down for this explanation, but the whole point of the Stradavar is that it's an OLD weapon that is a masterpiece of its form.
Tenno use old and low-tech weapons (like, say, swords, or chemical ballistics i.e. bullets) because the Sentients can't subvert them.
That's part of the lore, which was talked about a lot when the Stradavar came out. Some people complained at that time about it looking so real-world retro.
Something fantastically high-tech like your idea (quoted message) just doesn't fit the concept, even considering it's a prime weapon.

5 hours ago, LordPantaloonsthe3rd said:

I wouldnt go so far as to say its insulting even if you dislike it completely, thats a bit too far. it is just a skin for a weapon, hardly something that could be considered insulting.

Well, you missed my earlier post in the thread where I talked about WHY it's insulting—specifically, insulting to our intelligence:

On 2019-04-05 at 5:04 AM, auxy said:

The reason it was named the Stradavar IS a reference to the Stradivarius violins, but not the fact that they are violins.
Instead, the name reflects how those instruments are masterpieces that are handed down from generation to generation unaltered.
This is reflected in the gun with its early-20th-century aesthetic.

The "insulting" part is how it shoves the reference in your face. "HAHA LOOK IT'S LIKE A VIOLIN GET IT? GET IT?" It's ridiculous.

With all that said I wouldn't really care if it had a decent skin that returned it to the non-prime appearance.
There's the Day of the Dead skin, and I guess that's better than nothing, but I don't really care for those skins.
I'll probably shelve the Stradvar Prime until October when I can get that skin.

Edited by auxy

On 2019-04-05 at 5:40 AM, LordPantaloonsthe3rd said:

ec49a00ccb.png

Ya know, flechette rounds are a thing...