Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Hilariously overpriced rivens

YandereWaifu

The current riven trading prices are absolutely bogus. It is like a rich people's playground. Totally not accessible for all but some. There are unspoken rules that newcomers will not get it, so they get scammed and ripoff big time. Just go compare price difference of a prime set on in-game trade chat and warframe.market. I never want to spend even one second on that place. Not to mention I don't want to spend time to talk to any of the sellers when I can shop at more convenient place instead. I am absolutely unwilling to get involved with the current riven trading market. It simply has no boundary. There are too much freedom going on with riven trading. A system to standardize and stabilize the prices is needed. At it's current state anyone can set any absurd price to a popular weapon's riven without any down side as long as there are suckers willing to pay. With auction house, supply of the rivens will be visible to all and so is the demand, then prices will reach equilibrium to finally calm down. People who sell too high will receive no attention. Everyone will also get the idea of proper price range for given a riven and the values of its stats.

All I see from people against such convenience is that they would lose profit yadi yada. To me you are just earning plat the scummy way. Yeah it's harder to scam and ripoff clueless people when there are visible knowledge available.

Trade chat is a huge turn off to me and it created a barrier to my willingness to actually trade with people. It effects economy negatively as well you know. The trading system in WF is just so hilariously lacking tbh. Getting ripoff is not uncommon, but do I want to list a valuable item on auction house with a super cheap price without knowing in the first place or do I want to type in trade chat and get people intentionally lure and scam me knowing its value. The former I would just sigh and move on, but the later is more likely to make me uninstall the game.   

Funny is how many people in this giga-riven-trading is actually aware that they don't own their account, not much. As far as I am concerned, I am far above riven and platina hoarding because there are more enjoyable things to do, honestly. Everything you get will one day disappear anyway (it's a fate of every online game, being made and being shut down for good).

As for auction house freaks, if you think such system would be good, you're dead wrong. Only people who can have such opinion are people with little to none experience with it. Auction houses were and always will be a plague of online gaming and it would change nothing here, on riven prices and their trading in general, it would only give tool to hoarders to hoard more quickly and effectively, which is definately not necessary.

Edited by CoreXCZ

7 hours ago, CoreXCZ said:

Funny is how many people in this giga-riven-trading is actually aware that they don't own their account, not much. As far as I am concerned, I am far above riven and platina hoarding because there are more enjoyable things to do, honestly. Everything you get will one day disappear anyway (it's a fate of every online game, being made and being shut down for good).

As for auction house freaks, if you think such system would be good, you're dead wrong. Only people who can have such opinion are people with little to none experience with it. Auction houses were and always will be a plague of online gaming and it would change nothing here, on riven prices and their trading in general, it would only give tool to hoarders to hoard more quickly and effectively, which is definately not necessary.

An AH if done correctly (like having to place your plat in the AH) could solve many negative plat issues in the game. Simply because the game would "clear" the plat before being able to use it to make sure it is legit. It could result in a transition period where no sales are made before all plat has been verified,

And AH could also easily open up for much more efficient actual item to item trading. Someone putting up X item to trade for Y item.

I've played plenty of MMOs where there have been auction houses and few of them have been bad. The few bad ones have been in piss poor asian MMOs to begin with.

edit: It would also reduce scam prices because people could more easily see what is actually available for sale and at what prices things go.

Edited by SneakyErvin
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, --Laughing-Soul-- said:

thats a bad answer but its an answer.

you still haven't said how anything past the decimal or comma or what ever bloody radix system you want to use matters since fractions of a plat are non existent in game and those fractions if used in rounding only affect the price one plat up or down. it doesnt matter what radix point is used or what countires use it because for the second time in this post i say, you cant get anything less than a single plat in game.

and conversion rates between multiple currencies literally do not matter because you cant get fractions of a plat in game, for the third time in this post because you cant get it but willingly insult me over it. 

im not going to force an answer out of some one so willing to go to such great lengths to avoid answering even a simple question

i wont waste my time on you anymore. good bye and have a good life.

On 2019-04-10 at 8:38 AM, (PS4)guzmantt1977 said:

Nope. Not even close. 

Just because there's no need doesn't mean that you can't, or even shouldn't show the spaces after a radix point. You can't have less than a cent, but it's common for banks to display conversion rates to a large number of significant figures in the interest of clarity. Giving information to a higher degree of precision, does not ever decrease the accuracy of the data. The only way that the number displayed could possibly lead you astray is if you are unfamiliar with the syntax used in a large number of countries around the world. 

Again, it is beyond the realm of any reasonable possibility, that even if someone were ignorant of such syntax, merely displaying the values of the decimal will dupe/ripoff people into paying more for a riven, especially as the number displayed would represent a figure 1000x the average asking price for the riven. That's the issue I originally responded to. 

Put simply there is no issue with what they've done. 

Well since I already answered that question, I didn't have to waste any time on you. 

If you still think that expressing an average of something with an indivisible unit using a value with a decimal after a radix point, here's another example:

https://globalnews.ca/news/3429950/canada-fewer-children-census-216/

Unless you think that women really are giving birth to exactly 1.6 children? Or perhaps you think that it's a conspiracy by global governments to cover something up to fool people, instead of a common sense practice, the world over? 

8 hours ago, MixtheBlender said:

With auction house, supply of the rivens will be visible to all and so is the demand, then prices will reach equilibrium to finally calm down. People who sell too high will receive no attention. Everyone will also get the idea of proper price range for given a riven and the values of its stats.

Doesn't work in the case of rivens. Auction houses are good for listing identical items for identical prices. Each riven is basically unique, most will have trash attributes; some will have good attributes but bad stats; and an exceptionally small number would have good attributes and good stats. 

That variation in quality explains the variety of prices and why DE included the average price and the maximum price. An auction house wouldn't really help anyone in that case. And just so you don't try and make out that I'm profiting from the pri prices, no. I'm one of the people who has spoken out against someone ridiculously defending, the ridiculous prices on this thread. But an auction house is an equally ridiculous solution and from everything I've seen would damage the in-game economy beyond repair. 

56 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:

An AH if done correctly (like having to place your plat in the AH) could solve many negative plat issues in the game. Simply because the game would "clear" the plat before being able to use it to make sure it is legit. It could result in a transition period where no sales are made before all plat has been verified,

And AH could also easily open up for much more efficient actual item to item trading. Someone putting up X item to trade for Y item.

I've played plenty of MMOs where there have been auction houses and few of them have been bad. The few bad ones have been in piss poor asian MMOs to begin with.

edit: It would also reduce scam prices because people could more easily see what is actually available for sale and at what prices things go.

For an AH to be done correctly you have to have continued demand. Many games do this by having more consumables (think archwing launcher, cipher) that we can build and trade, and the raw material for those which we trade as well. Others use a equipment damage/destruction system where we must constantly repair or replace items using farmed materials. Some do it based on an obfuscated variable-fixed cost system for items that nobody outside of the organization can really figure out or say if it's just RNG or an actual system that tracks global trades. (Hopefully you agree that the last method is a patently bad idea.) Without artificial inflation of demand or a complete overhaul of our economic system to match what's in those other mmo's, an AH just won't work out well for Warframe

It's also not going to be able to "clear" plat without delaying your purchase longer than the chargeback times on the credit cards people use to buy the plat. If you are cool with potentially waiting a couple of months for your purchase to be delivered after payment, or think that's an option for improving your experience, then you are probably in the minority. 

2 hours ago, SneakyErvin said:

Then I wonder which games you have been playing, because it's always the same. Main problem with in-game auction houses is that they take away most of direct interactions between players, something which makes entire price situation worse. We're not in such a bad situation, these extreme prices are only a thing around rare commodities (like Rivens) which you don't need in order to be able to play the game.

If you ask me, Warframe is golden because it didn't sell it's soul to system like auction house. Anyway, you have here places like Warframe Market, that's in basic core an auction house (faster one gets the thing) but one that still demands you to write to a person and do a trading with him/her in Dojo or at Maroo's Bazaar.

Edited by CoreXCZ

1 minute ago, CoreXCZ said:

Then I wonder which games you have been playing, because it's always the same. Main problem with in-game auction houses is that they take away most of direct interactions between players, something which makes entire price situation worse.

Solution: Create a UI element, such as the Market, but for player trading, that doesn't take away player interactions. Players put in what they want to sell and list their price. On the buyer's side, they see the item, the price and your name, but it's up to them to contact you. You can discuss prices and then you trade, either through a dojo or through Maroo's Bazaar.
Not much different from how Warframe.Market works, but having it as an ingame element would make trading a whole lot easier. 

Additionally, could limit posting trades while you're online, meaning that trades posted are invisible when you're offline. Or keep trades posted for a set duration only.

10 hours ago, CoreXCZ said:

3 hours ago, SneakyErvin said:

To be fair im not entirely for an auction house as i can definitly see drawbacks for it and DE said they like the current thing were we have to go to each others dojos or maroos to trade however there is a way to have both at once. I started playing path of exile recently and they have an auction house like thing linked to the game,where you can post what you want to sell and it verifies that the posters actually have the items in question meaning price fixing like what sometimes happens on wf market isnt an issue and you still have to go to peoples hideouts to do the transactions just like what DE wants, win win scenario if they impliment a similar system. what do you guys think about it?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, (PS4)guzmantt1977 said:

For an AH to be done correctly you have to have continued demand. Many games do this by having more consumables (think archwing launcher, cipher) that we can build and trade, and the raw material for those which we trade as well. Others use a equipment damage/destruction system where we must constantly repair or replace items using farmed materials. Some do it based on an obfuscated variable-fixed cost system for items that nobody outside of the organization can really figure out or say if it's just RNG or an actual system that tracks global trades. (Hopefully you agree that the last method is a patently bad idea.) Without artificial inflation of demand or a complete overhaul of our economic system to match what's in those other mmo's, an AH just won't work out well for Warframe

It's also not going to be able to "clear" plat without delaying your purchase longer than the chargeback times on the credit cards people use to buy the plat. If you are cool with potentially waiting a couple of months for your purchase to be delivered after payment, or think that's an option for improving your experience, then you are probably in the minority. 

Not at all. There are AHs that work well that way and others that dont. Things doesnt have to be in-the-box just because it has been like that previously. An AH in WF would simply be a listing post, a kiosk or whatever you wanna call it where people can post items they wanna sell. It would simply be a warframe.market tool inside the game without the need for player to player interaction. It wouldnt change much besides making it far more available to the entire playerbase.

Warframe.market is essentially an AH, nothing else.

I wouldnt mind purchases being delayed if it ment safety in return. But that is just a side addition, not something that is a must. And if we want safety there are other options when it comes to an AH. It would be simple to put a MR restriction on it to avoid new buyers using it, this would remove alot of the bad plat that is injected through lowbie alt accounts that do their shady stuff. Few people with time invested in an account will risk it with chargebacks. It doesnt mean that the old system would need to go away, the new system would simply be an addition for those that want serious, safe trading.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CoreXCZ said:

Then I wonder which games you have been playing, because it's always the same. Main problem with in-game auction houses is that they take away most of direct interactions between players, something which makes entire price situation worse. We're not in such a bad situation, these extreme prices are only a thing around rare commodities (like Rivens) which you don't need in order to be able to play the game.

If you ask me, Warframe is golden because it didn't sell it's soul to system like auction house. Anyway, you have here places like Warframe Market, that's in basic core an auction house (faster one gets the thing) but one that still demands you to write to a person and do a trading with him/her in Dojo or at Maroo's Bazaar.

45 minutes ago, YandereWaifu said:

To be fair im not entirely for an auction house as i can definitly see drawbacks for it and DE said they like the current thing were we have to go to each others dojos or maroos to trade however there is a way to have both at once. I started playing path of exile recently and they have an auction house like thing linked to the game,where you can post what you want to sell and it verifies that the posters actually have the items in question meaning price fixing like what sometimes happens on wf market isnt an issue and you still have to go to peoples hideouts to do the transactions just like what DE wants, win win scenario if they impliment a similar system. what do you guys think about it?

AHs can be different, it doesnt have to be like every other AH. A simple warframe.market mechanic but with direct trades would do.

People need to stop thinking of one type of AH when AH is mentioned. An AH can be anything from personal merchants in good 'ol SWG or DaoC fashion up to the more mainstream versions we see in WoW, GW2 etc. or even actual auctioneer mechanics seen in some other games.

AH = a tool to help people sell their goods.

Warframe.market in-game where you can just buy items straight from a person who has listed them. That would be the easiest thing that wouldnt change anything but for the better. It would in addition to the normal use of it also work for rivens.

• Like 1

Never use the trade chat, nothing but rip off, avoid those toxic players

Use warframe market to check pricing 

as for rivens, don’t need them to play and enjoy the game

the riven system is badly designed, stay away from them and be freeeee 😛

Edited by Im_a_fat_boy2

On 2019-04-20 at 1:38 AM, Im_a_fat_boy2 said:

Never use the trade chat, nothing but rip off, avoid those toxic players

Use warframe market to check pricing 

as for rivens, don’t need them to play and enjoy the game

the riven system is badly designed, stay away from them and be freeeee 😛

sure i guess you could but rivens can open up new combos and playstyles and in a game like warframe where its premise is you doing the same tasks over and over and over, customizing your methods are one of the things that stops you from getting bored. an example of this is weapons like the kohm and sobek, remember how hardly anyone used these before LifeofRio made vids showcasing them with setups that made them top tier.

2 hours ago, SaidTheRogue said:

prices get this high because ppl dont say no.

if something is too high, and almost all of them are, say hell no not paying that.

simple.

except that people spam these high prices all  day for weeks or months in trade chat, then bots like what semlar used which reads the trade chat listings see that and assume thats the price and tell people yea x riven is going for x price and now others are doing it and it just becomes normalized in a way eg theres an actual idiot who went and spent 60k on a vectis riven. 

another thing too is that theres no idk point of reference i guess for rivens and thier pricing aside from what people call out or what you see spammed i trade chat or what a bot like what the folrens discord has which takes into account your riven and uses trade chat prices and the makers own thoughts on stats for weapons to give a price range which is bad as it doesnt go indepth too much with some weapons eg if you put in a riven for a shotgun which gives you a faster reload, which would be useful on things most shotguns aside from astilla and phantasma which have short reloads its gonna say thats a bad stat and just use chilling reload which is bad as sure chilling reload is a good mod but what if its a riven for an armor stripping shotty like boar p where youd want as much corrosive and as little procs of other things(the same reasoning as to why - ips is so popular rn), then that analysis is bad and your having your rivens worth devalued due to a generalised line of thought that isnt very good across such a variety of different weapons in the same class.

33 minutes ago, YandereWaifu said:

except that people spam these high prices all  day for weeks or months in trade chat, then bots like what semlar used which reads the trade chat listings see that and assume thats the price and tell people yea x riven is going for x price and now others are doing it and it just becomes normalized in a way eg theres an actual idiot who went and spent 60k on a vectis riven. 

another thing too is that theres no idk point of reference i guess for rivens and thier pricing aside from what people call out or what you see spammed i trade chat or what a bot like what the folrens discord has which takes into account your riven and uses trade chat prices and the makers own thoughts on stats for weapons to give a price range which is bad as it doesnt go indepth too much with some weapons eg if you put in a riven for a shotgun which gives you a faster reload, which would be useful on things most shotguns aside from astilla and phantasma which have short reloads its gonna say thats a bad stat and just use chilling reload which is bad as sure chilling reload is a good mod but what if its a riven for an armor stripping shotty like boar p where youd want as much corrosive and as little procs of other things(the same reasoning as to why - ips is so popular rn), then that analysis is bad and your having your rivens worth devalued due to a generalised line of thought that isnt very good across such a variety of different weapons in the same class.

....except that none of what you said makes any difference to what i said. if a price is too high, dont pay. wtb run-on sentences?

13 minutes ago, SaidTheRogue said:

....except that none of what you said makes any difference to what i said. if a price is too high, dont pay. wtb run-on sentences?

except that if every riven available regardless of how good it actually has a super inflated price and the ones that are reasonably priced are hidden away in all that spam (lets be real DE needs to improve trade chat a little more, the fliter was helpful as fck though) your essentially saying do without rivens or hope you get lucky enough to spot one that hasnt been sniped away (the high sellers also snipe the low rivens to resell at those higher prices further worsening it). i get that some people have a stoop the conquer attitude or a do without it mentality but doing nothing is often as harmful. these guys go on for months with thier spam us doing nothing will change nothing aside from making thier prices become "normalized" and having a higher chance of people actually buying those inflated turds. wtb a brain and a spine much?

Late to the thread, I agree with @SyBuhr with the fact that Warframe needs a Market Place + Visual Data

This would help alleviate problems, riven prices, and it would lessen scammers.

Visual data would be great so the players know what to ask for, for an item. Or to see if they're about to get scammed, and current pricing trends.

Also a Market Place would prevent random scams, because you could buy an item straight from it, that another player placed.

Example scam: Bulk trading items, other guy doesn't hold up his full trade and leaves after half way through (even when they're trading increments of plat in agreement to pay full). Then after that happens what are you going to do about it? You are out of your special item or maybe even plat. And if you invested plat into what you were trading, you just lost plat, the items, and time. But if there was a market, you could've just gone and bought it, no scams, no problems.

Random:

--The Marketplace could be a part of one of the relays (to keep interaction), and you could have a small ui (outside of the market relay, it could also have market data) to see if you sold items.

--There could be a length of time on how long items can be listed. Keep same current trading rules and apply those too (MR restrictions to prevent scamming). 

Examples:

Visual Data Example: http://services.runescape.com/m=itemdb_oldschool/Rune_scimitar/viewitem?obj=1333

(Displays osrs item Rune Scimitar and trade data over a month. You can click on 3month, 6month, and trend to see more data. There's even green arrows if prices rise, and red arrows if prices fall

http://services.runescape.com/m=itemdb_rs/ 

If you look at the top, there are items scrolling across the screen like a stock market.

Edited by GrayFrequency
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GrayFrequency said:

Late to the thread, I agree with @SyBuhr with the fact that Warframe needs a Market Place + Visual Data

This would help alleviate problems, riven prices, and it would lessen scammers.

Visual data would be great so the players know what to ask for, for an item. Or to see if they're about to get scammed, and current pricing trends.

Also a Market Place would prevent random scams, because you could buy an item straight from it, that another player placed.

Example scam: Bulk trading items, other guy doesn't hold up his full trade and leaves after half way through (even when they're trading increments of plat in agreement to pay full). Then after that happens what are you going to do about it? You are out of your special item or maybe even plat. And if you invested plat into what you were trading, you just lost plat, the items, and time. But if there was a market, you could've just gone and bought it, no scams, no problems.

Random:

--The Marketplace could be a part of one of the relays (to keep interaction), and you could have a small ui (outside of the market relay, it could also have market data) to see if you sold items.

--There could be a length of time on how long items can be listed. Keep same current trading rules and apply those too (MR restrictions to prevent scamming). 

Examples:

Visual Data Example: http://services.runescape.com/m=itemdb_oldschool/Rune_scimitar/viewitem?obj=1333

(Displays osrs item Rune Scimitar and trade data over a month. You can click on 3month, 6month, and trend to see more data. There's even green arrows if prices rise, and red arrows if prices fall

If you look at the top, there are items scrolling across the screen like a stock market.

better late then never ^ also NGL that bulk trading idea would be reaaaal good 2

5 hours ago, SaidTheRogue said:

That arguement falls apart at the seams, when you consider that A) There is no means of identifying what is an appropriate price and B) The Game is no longer being marketed just for PC, which predominantly has had older players who understand the value of money.

Focusing on the former point, you can always say NO to a trade. So, then what? Roll the slot machine Riven on Sorties, hoping you not only get a riven, but a riven for the right weapon type and then another Roll on the right weapon? Not saying it isn't viable, but it is tedious, and for some people, they can go a year without ever getting a riven, let alone the specific one for their desired weapon. It's not a terrible system, but it isn't good either.

In the end, prices will remain high even if players say NO, simply by virtue that these high-prices will eventually get someone who isn't knowledgeable, or cannot find/access said knowledge base. It is just like submitting a resume to a business. Sure, the majority of them may say NO, but it's all a numbers game in the end, and you will find someone. Same principle applies here. You will find someone. 

The latter point focuses more on something that could be a discussion all on its own. If this was just a PC game, I think I'd agree with you. However, the game is now more available, specifically on Switch and other Consoles, where the audience is not necessarily as old/mature as PC tends to be. In other words, you're bound to find a lot more people who do not necessarily know the value of money, which can lead to scam

mers flourishing on these platforms. Again, this point is more food-for-thought, something to think about.

5 hours ago, GrayFrequency said:

... SNIP ...

Examples:

It is funny, because I was just looking at getting back into Runescape earlier today. What is ironic, is that, something like this would have been neat to have implemented in Fortuna, given how everything is revolving around stocks, Trades, and Bonds there. Would have been a neat way to get more players in there as well as add a bit more utility to Fortuna outside of, "Cool Hub where you go in and get out". Having a Kiosk that utilizes those trends in Fortuna would have been very cool, as well as accessible to the Lone Tenno out there with no clan.

On 2019-04-19 at 6:05 PM, (PS4)guzmantt1977 said:

Unless you think that women really are giving birth to exactly 1.6 children

1.6  the .6 is a large ammount in the context of birthings when the absolute minimum is 1 and almost never goes higher than 4.

in the context of plat prices which range from 2 plat to 10,000+ plat makes it insignificant. if the min price was 1 and max was 4 then the .6 would have much more meaning

There are some interesting points in here.

I think that I would be in favour of an auction house, you could put it in Maroo's Bazaar as that is already a trading hub and turn the trade stations in dojo's into remote auction house interfaces.  An auction house would create a public visibility of the supply side of the trading market, it would also allow players who don't want to deal with the hassle of trade chat or the current Maroo's system to just put things they don't need up for sale without having to spend a bunch of time away from actual game play.  The biggest bonus I would see this having is that it would (over time) reduce and normalise prices as the majority of players who do not bother trading at the moment would suddenly be able to do so and as they are (likely) not obsessed with making thousands of plat on a single trade so over time the prices become more sensible.

I just don't buy that there are rivens in this game worth thousands of plat, I think the most I would ever conceivably pay for one is around about the 150p mark, there is just no way they are worth that much currency.  

Now that said if you want to spend thousands of plat on a specific riven that you want then you go for it, it's your choice and I won't try to stop you. 

For me personally though I find the fun part of rivens to be using a riven I've gotten for a weapon I don't often run with and seeing what kind of havoc I can create with it.  Would I like to have a kick ass riven for my Arca Plasmor or Amprex, of course, but not so much that I would be willing to pay the kind of prices the market currently seems to expect.

I think the thing is that the game needs a change to the trading systems to make it easier and more public so people can see the supply and demand parts of the process and make a more informed decision on where (if anywhere) they want to spend their plat.

On 2019-04-21 at 9:01 PM, YandereWaifu said:

This is partially why the avg and max prices from DEs data is important and partially why it's broken data. The only thing to do really is have a WF/riven market like UI happening in game, any listings that are set up at high prices and have been there not moving for 30 days or more, we can conclude the actual market doesn't support that pricing. RIght now even with DE's max and avg of the actual trades that happen being put out there, the entire market is obfuscated, there is zero way for the market to regulate itself based on suply and demand, because those market forces are hidden and not readily apparent. You just can't gauge demand or even supply at any one time through trade chat even with bots parsing the chat logs. And DE's data is probably partially skewed through chat manipulation (which can be pretty far removed from supply and demand market forces)