Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Eidolon might have a wildlife problem (Opinion Piece)

killstreak88

(Forgive me in advance if i'm explaining things that could easily be dismissed, I dont really read lore or news)

Hello reader. Just decided to write this little discussion about Eidolon and what it could use (Pardon me if there was already a post about this. Didn't seem to find it). When I enter Eidolon, I experience some sort of feeling. Not quite sure what it is. Kinda feels nostalgic in a way, though i never seemed to be out doors much. Feels relaxing as well. And as much as there are things to do in Eidolon, my immersion in the game kind of fades away... What i'm talking about is the things which can be implemented to make Eidolon look better. And don't get me wrong, the plains is as beautiful as can be (especially with the new look), but I think its just missing a couple things... 

For instance, the plains of Eidolon is meant to be a place uninhabited from the people of Cetus, and a place where there is just nature (and grineer). I think some aspect of immersion isn't just about the looks of the map, but what is happening around us that causes us to drift away into that very world. What I mean by that is I feel like there aren't many animals in the plains. Well besides fish, very few amounts of Condrocs and Kuakas seen around, there should be more wildlife seen around, especially since Eidolon is comprised of untouched forests and open fields. And i understand the new updates where new animals have been introduced on fortuna, and also one on the plains called the Mergoo, but why not add new ones into the mix?

Ideas could (not limited to) include:

-Animals that look like existing ones IRL (Forest animals similar to deers for example).

-There could even be wild Kubrow and Kubrow nests spread throughout the map. 

-Maybe add multiple species of birds, large and small.

There are a variety of things that could be implemented, but this is one that I feel that I have a strong opinion about. If you disagree, i'm more than ok to talk with you. And if anyone has any other Ideas that could be put into the plains, please share 🙂

Edited by killstreak88
Accidentally pressed send half way through typing.

I think most bigger animals have gone extinct, either due to Grineer hunting them and depleting the population or simply dying off due to their environment changing too much because of the fights that have taken place out there. While the birds, rodents and fish need less to survive.

However it would be cool to see some mutated bears, wolves or other large animals fitting for the region (Black Sea area?) of the plains.

@SneakyErvin Yeah I kind of thought about Grineer affecting the environment in a way. And due to Teralysts and other giant sentient creatures, I can see why the ecosystem could have died off from fights and other competition. Maybe there could be a little bit of lore added to the map. For example, I noticed in the new version of Eidolon that there are patches of forests scattered across the map. Maybe the animals had to disperse in to new areas (the patches of forests i mentioned) due to their habitats being destroyed by Grineer excavators, camps etc.

Edited by killstreak88

4 hours ago, killstreak88 said:

Yeah I kind of thought about Grineer affecting the environment in a way. And due to Teralysts and other giant sentient creatures, I can see why the ecosystem could have died off from fights and other competition. Maybe there could be a little bit of lore added to the map. For example, I noticed in the new version of Eidolon that there are patches of forests scattered across the map. Maybe the animals had to disperse in to new areas (the patches of forests i mentioned) due to their habitats being destroyed by Grineer excavators, camps etc.

There's already lore that describes a huge battle. 

I don't know if you've seen it before, so I tried to take just the part that would explain it. 

Spoiler

Forests fell as piece after piece, giant body after giant body crashed to the Plains and marshes and flatlands. Animals fled in spreading waves from pounding sky-high walls of dust, angered and whipped to fury by the death of a god. The last of Gara’s energy arced from body to body, machine to machine, piece to -piece, a horizon-wide applause of light beautiful and terrible.

And then… silence. All was still. The Unum’s adherents wandered throughout the haze, calling for one another, lost in a miasma. Husbands seizing onto wives, children onto parents. It was over.

After something like that, an ecological bottleneck is entirely possible. Cutting out the technical stuff, many species would be very depleted, there'd be a lot of inbreeding, and they would experience the negative side of founder effect. There would be extinctions over time, if no fresh genetic material entered the system. The energy walls seem to act as a significant barrier. By this stage the population may not be able to out mix at all. 

Well, given the people of Cetus seem to eat the meat of the Orokin tower, I'd say that yes, they have a problem with their local wildlife having been depleted. Probably happened during The Old War, or even further back given how greedy the Orokin were.

6 hours ago, killstreak88 said:

For instance, the plains of Eidolon is meant to be a place uninhabited from the people of Cetus, and a place where there is just nature (and grineer). I think some aspect of immersion isn't just about the looks of the map, but what is happening around us that causes us to drift away into that very world. What I mean by that is I feel like there aren't many animals in the plains. Well besides fish, very few amounts of Condrocs and Kuakas seen around, there should be more wildlife seen around, especially since Eidolon is comprised of untouched forests and open fields. And i understand the new updates where new animals have been introduced on fortuna, and also one on the plains called the Mergoo, but why not add new ones into the mix?🙂

Remember that the "Plains" of Eidolon are actually an island about four square miles across. If there was an apex predator besides humans, there would only be two or three of them. Total. Across the entire island

This is why the Mt. Everest Forest and the Orb Vallis have the Kubrows, they're part of the mainland where the apex predators can actually survive and mate. Plains of Eidolon have Kuakas, about the size of coyotes and able to subsist on insects and fish

4 minutes ago, TARINunit9 said:

Remember that the "Plains" of Eidolon are actually an island about four square miles across. If there was an apex predator besides humans, there would only be two or three of them. Total. Across the entire island

This is why the Mt. Everest Forest and the Orb Vallis have the Kubrows, they're part of the mainland where the apex predators can actually survive and mate. Plains of Eidolon have Kuakas, about the size of coyotes and able to subsist on insects and fish

I'm certain that once the infested open world comes in, we'll get to see bigger beasts. You just can't erase the infestation.

10 hours ago, SneakyErvin said:

I think most bigger animals have gone extinct, either due to Grineer hunting them and depleting the population or simply dying off due to their environment changing too much because of the fights that have taken place out there. While the birds, rodents and fish need less to survive.

Meanwhile on E Prime
Grineer are getting slaughtered by kurbrows

Also on Plains of Eidolon
Emperor Condrocs are on sharp decline due to Grineer