Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A question for controller users

Shad0wWatcher

Hey there, i havent been on warframe for about 3-4 weeks and i just got on again so pardon my ignorance.

I use a controller on PC(weird yes, but i'm used to it), and i had my own personal settings set for controller, i think they're pretty much how they are now on PS4 with some personal adjustments. But now i come back and my controls are completely different. 

- Melee is on a different button now. 

- Crouch is now where my ability menu was. 

- I can't roll/sprint anymore, that's on the same button as crouch, which is more frustrating that you'd think.

- The button i used to reload my weapons is now the melee button. 

There are more things that are different on the layout but i wanna move on to another thing.

The aim sensitivity, it's through the roof now, i had to put it on 0 and it's still way too fast. a simply nudge of my analog stick and my camera makes a 180 degrees turn, it completely throws me off. It was never like this, it was always at a decent speed, i had it on 30 or something and it was perfect for me personally. But now i have it on 0 and it feels like it's on 100.

And here's my biggest problem with that whole thing, i can't change any of it. I even tried resetting my controller settings and reapply my settings again but that didn't change anything. I changed it again, went back to testing, and they were still as they were before i changed it. I then went back to my settings and saw that my settings are still the same as when i changed it myself, i saved the thing, went back into the game and it was as if changed. 

For the first time when playing this game, for the very first time...i rage quit.

Now my question to controller users is, has anyone else had this problem? And if there's a fix, could you please tell me?

There have been several issues with the rework and I can't say which one you're suffering from currently, but one solution that turned up out of the blue was that you had to confirm your settings changes with your controller (I mean, you really had to) or they wouldn't stick. 

The game struggles a bit with determining precedence if you use both mouse/KB and controller which most controller users do since menus, chat and so forth simply don't work well otherwise. That may have been causing your rebinding problems, at least it did for me. 

For the aim sensitivity I'm afraid I can't think of anything. I seem to remember it happening once when I forgot to engage InputMapper (which I use to put a couple of functions on the DS4's touch pad). That may have led to the Steam controller support API assuming control and throwing everything out of whack since Valve is helpful like that...

I can only suggest you search the forums a bit and/or try the bug report section and the Players Helping Players ditto. Getting a comfortable controller setup involves a fair amount of hassle, but FWIW I've been able to rebind most things to my satisfaction. As far as I'm aware there are only 2 or 3 hardcoded control dependencies, with the rest (like separating sprint/roll and crouch, which I consider crucial) having workarounds. 

None of that will matter till you get the sensitivity sorted however, and there I'm afraid PC Bugs will be your best starting point. 

24 minutes ago, (XB1)Thy Divinity said:

The only issue I'm having is that channeling is a major league PITA now.

I'm loving the hell out of it more so now than I use to before.  😄  

6 hours ago, Shad0wWatcher said:

The aim sensitivity, it's through the roof now, i had to put it on 0 and it's still way too fast. a simply nudge of my analog stick and my camera makes a 180 degrees turn, it completely throws me off. It was never like this, it was always at a decent speed, i had it on 30 or something and it was perfect for me personally. But now i have it on 0 and it feels like it's on 100.

Go to your Library in Steam.  Find Warframe in the list, right click on it and select "Properties".   Under "Steam Input per-game setting, select "Forced Off".  Doing this will allow Warframe's in-game settings to control how the controller functions without Steam's getting in the way.  

6 hours ago, Wiergate said:

There have been several issues with the rework and I can't say which one you're suffering from currently, but one solution that turned up out of the blue was that you had to confirm your settings changes with your controller (I mean, you really had to) or they wouldn't stick. 

The game struggles a bit with determining precedence if you use both mouse/KB and controller which most controller users do since menus, chat and so forth simply don't work well otherwise. That may have been causing your rebinding problems, at least it did for me. 

For the aim sensitivity I'm afraid I can't think of anything. I seem to remember it happening once when I forgot to engage InputMapper (which I use to put a couple of functions on the DS4's touch pad). That may have led to the Steam controller support API assuming control and throwing everything out of whack since Valve is helpful like that...

I can only suggest you search the forums a bit and/or try the bug report section and the Players Helping Players ditto. Getting a comfortable controller setup involves a fair amount of hassle, but FWIW I've been able to rebind most things to my satisfaction. As far as I'm aware there are only 2 or 3 hardcoded control dependencies, with the rest (like separating sprint/roll and crouch, which I consider crucial) having workarounds. 

None of that will matter till you get the sensitivity sorted however, and there I'm afraid PC Bugs will be your best starting point. 

Thanks for the info partner, i'll check out DS4 tool, i remember using DS3 tool n the pst, i assume DS4 is about the same.

5 hours ago, DatDarkOne said:

Go to your Library in Steam.  Find Warframe in the list, right click on it and select "Properties".   Under "Steam Input per-game setting, select "Forced Off".  Doing this will allow Warframe's in-game settings to control how the controller functions without Steam's getting in the way.  

Wow that instantly fixed the sensitivity, thanks man you're a life saver.

I'm a controller user on PC for every game that has good controller support. A mouse is no doubt a more accurate way to aim, but I'm not playing competitively so I don't care.

Other than what was expected with melee changes, my aim sensitivity was increased as well. I had to tone it way down. My button config wasn't changed, though.

15 hours ago, DatDarkOne said:
15 hours ago, (XB1)Thy Divinity said:

The only issue I'm having is that channeling is a major league PITA now.

I'm loving the hell out of it more so now than I use to before.  😄  

Wait, you can get it to work? For me it's bound to an analog press or something dumb, which makes it entirely unusable. The game wouldn't let me move it, pretty much the only thing I haven't been able to solve.
I hardly ever channel to begin with, but on the rare occasion I use Life Strike or channeling damage builds I do need it to work.  

5 hours ago, Wiergate said:

Wait, you can get it to work? For me it's bound to an analog press or something dumb, which makes it entirely unusable. The game wouldn't let me move it, pretty much the only thing I haven't been able to solve.
I hardly ever channel to begin with, but on the rare occasion I use Life Strike or channeling damage builds I do need it to work.  

It's a toggle now.  You just toggle it on by pressing analog once, then just attack as if you were holding the button originally.  It's made me enjoy Dispatch Overdrive even more than I use to. 

Funny you said the sensitivity is too high, I'm using a Switch Pro Controller and find the aim motion sensitivity way too low even on max setting. It leads me to deduce that the motion sensitivity is related to individual type of controller apart from in-game setting.

On 2019-04-06 at 8:31 AM, Shad0wWatcher said:

- I can't roll/sprint anymore, that's on the same button as crouch, which is more frustrating that you'd think.

Sprint is a toggle in game setting. Rolling is tapping the crouching button.

I can't speak for PC controller, but on console, there's a setting "context action includes reload" binds reload to action key. As no as you are not near anywhere interactive, pressing it reloads the weapon.

Edited by (NSW)Lunavay

4 hours ago, DatDarkOne said:

It's a toggle now.  You just toggle it on by pressing analog once, then just attack as if you were holding the button originally.  It's made me enjoy Dispatch Overdrive even more than I use to. 

Gotcha, thanks. My problem here is that I've rebound my power 1 to R3 press since trying to aim abilities otherwise is agony - for some reason that's where melee channel lives as well and the game won't let me move it. Thus, channeling is always gonna involve casting my 1, I can imagine it gets toggled on and off a fair amount without me realizing. The visual cue on my melee weapon isn't terribly clear with most energy colors. 

Fact is that a month or so ago when many controller users had problems even firing our weapons for reasons I've never been entirely clear on, I heard the sound of melee channeling rather than the gunfire I was expecting when pulling the trigger.

I tried Life Strike Excal and Savage Banshee in the Sim, and the results weren't exactly promising. Arguably both of those builds are outdated, but Banshee especially is gonna have a problem surviving just with Healing Return and spamming Operator heals by way of Elevate gets old. 
I haven't played Excal in ages and might simply need to update my build for Melee 2.997, but I'm still not clear on why moving channeling is out of the question TBH. 

On a side note, Excal's Exalted Melee Block (which I can't prevent) sometimes ran amok, presumably because I was 'dual channeling' without being aware of it. I've never seen energy get drained so fast since the disastrous 'friendly fire' debacle poor Nyx suffered a while back. 
Some things are still amiss. 

Edited by Wiergate

10 hours ago, Wiergate said:

I had the same issue. I found a weird work around. 

It seems like I could only move melee channel to a button with archwing up/down. So all I did was assign the AW control to the button I wanted to use for channel melee, then switched channel melee to that button. 

Currently I have secondary fire and channel melee on same button. It works perfectly and is intuitive. When I'm using a gun, it's secondary fire, when I melee it's melee channel

30 minutes ago, Hypernaut1 said:

I had the same issue. I found a weird work around. 

It seems like I could only move melee channel to a button with archwing up/down. So all I did was assign the AW control to the button I wanted to use for channel melee, then switched channel melee to that button. 

Currently I have secondary fire and channel melee on same button. It works perfectly and is intuitive. When I'm using a gun, it's secondary fire, when I melee it's melee channel

OMG this worked. I love you.

On 2019-04-06 at 1:31 PM, Shad0wWatcher said:

Hey there, i havent been on warframe for about 3-4 weeks and i just got on again so pardon my ignorance.

I use a controller on PC(weird yes, but i'm used to it), and i had my own personal settings set for controller, i think they're pretty much how they are now on PS4 with some personal adjustments. But now i come back and my controls are completely different. 

- Melee is on a different button now. 

- Crouch is now where my ability menu was. 

There are more things that are different on the layout but i wanna move on to another thing.

And here's my biggest problem with that whole thing, i can't change any of it. I even tried resetting my controller settings and reapply my settings again but that didn't change anything. I changed it again, went back to testing, and they were still as they were before i changed it. I then went back to my settings and saw that my settings are still the same as when i changed it myself, i saved the thing, went back into the game and it was as if changed. 

For the first time when playing this game, for the very first time...i rage quit.

Now my question to controller users is, has anyone else had this problem? And if there's a fix, could you please tell me?

As a console user not much changed for the version I play so DE probably reset your key binding

Warframe has struggled with trying to put KBM controls onto a controller since its inception.  

I regularly wonder if the dev's have any understanding on how they have destroyed their game with the controller configurations that they have applied. 
Many of their best warframes suffer severely by having to use the same digit on your hand to actuate a fire mode while you would like to aim at the same moment in time.

Lord knows steam configuration just makes it that much more obvious.

4 hours ago, Wiergate said:

On a side note, Excal's Exalted Melee Block (which I can't prevent) sometimes ran amok, presumably because I was 'dual channeling' without being aware of it. I've never seen energy get drained so fast since the disastrous 'friendly fire' debacle poor Nyx suffered a while back. 
Some things are still amiss. 

The heavy energy drain is a result of having Life Strike equipped on your weapon.  That mod effects channeling energy drain in a very bad way.  It's one of if not the main reason I don't use it and went with Healing Return instead.  

5 hours ago, DatDarkOne said:

The heavy energy drain is a result of having Life Strike equipped on your weapon.  That mod effects channeling energy drain in a very bad way.  It's one of if not the main reason I don't use it and went with Healing Return instead.

So I assumed, but that in itself needs attention. Since melee block while in Exalted Blade isn't something I can opt out of the energy drain needs to be addressed since it seems to be calculated per bullet deflected - and I can't even reliably tell if I'm channeling right then besides EB obviously being a channeled ability.

I'm honestly not sure if the difference in efficiency (from 5 to 7) can account for 500 energy disappearing in one second flat but I haven't got any better ideas. As things stand I need to be absolutely clear on whether I'm dual-channeling (guess that's a word now) or not while in EB, or a couple of heavy gunners will instantly wipe out my energy pool. 
(All things being equal, that is - obviously I'm not gonna stand there and let it happen outside the Sim but it shouldn't really be happening to begin with. Or so I hope? Like I said, haven't played Excal in ages.)
A standard Savage Banshee build does depend on channeling being an instantly available and very reliable function though, she doesn't have time for me to try and determine whether I'm currently channeling or not. And since her energy pool and QT are her effective health I shudder to think of unwanted blocking and energy drain. 

Actually a bit refreshing to return to years-old builds and see if they survive DE's controller and melee rework shenanigans.

If the solution suggested by @Hypernaut1  above pans out with my controller setup it might not be an issue, I'd have to go in-game to see where the Hek AW up/down is. Apropos of things I never use...

10 hours ago, Wiergate said:

I'm honestly not sure if the difference in efficiency (from 5 to 7) can account for 500 energy disappearing in one second flat but I haven't got any better ideas. As things stand I need to be absolutely clear on whether I'm dual-channeling (guess that's a word now) or not while in EB, or a couple of heavy gunners will instantly wipe out my energy pool.

This is something that has been a part of the Life Strike mod for a long time.  I didn't notice it when I first got it as I didn't have much experience with not using it when I first started as an Ivara main 3+ years ago.  But as soon as I switched from Life Strike to Healing Return, I noticed the difference in energy drain while channeling in Prowl very quickly.  It is THAT noticeable.  

If you use Chromatic Blade augment for Excal, I highly recommend that you switch to Healing Return and Condition Overload anyway.  That combo would serve you much better overall.  

3 hours ago, DatDarkOne said:

This is something that has been a part of the Life Strike mod for a long time.  I didn't notice it when I first got it as I didn't have much experience with not using it when I first started as an Ivara main 3+ years ago.  But as soon as I switched from Life Strike to Healing Return, I noticed the difference in energy drain while channeling in Prowl very quickly.  It is THAT noticeable.  

If you use Chromatic Blade augment for Excal, I highly recommend that you switch to Healing Return and Condition Overload anyway.  That combo would serve you much better overall.  

Yeah, CO was a given anyway, but I've switched over to HR to play it safe. However: this time in the Sim, Life Strike didn't prompt such an insane energy drain. Same enemies (Heavy Gunners for the ROF) and my Excal blocked like yesterday but the drain was quite manageable. A single channeled blow was obviously enough for a full heal with an unranked LS just as before, but now I had energy to spare. This is getting confusing.

As it happens it's a moot point because rebinding channeling didn't work for me. I didn't manage it using AW up/down although I was able to fool the game for a while by moving channeling to a randomly assigned key on the D-pad for context action. That didn't last, alas, since the rest of my setup requires me to fool the game into thinking secondary fire is unassigned. (I actually have it on Touch Pad left click by way of InputMapper, but until we can get a null value to assign in order to 'make room' for our own solutions - you listening, DE? - I have to trick the game by using two incompatibles and letting one assume precedence.)

Looks like I'll have to do without. I've managed without Life Strike the last couple of years and DE seem undecided about keeping channeling at all, so eh. 

Edited by Wiergate