Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Easy host migration fix

I'm not sure why this hasn't been done already. From my vast understanding of code/programming in general, this should be something easy and quick to do.

But at least we have host migration instead of everything just being destro9yed and having to restart, so thank you for that! Good job!

So the issue....: Everything either resets, or empties.

Upon host migration, stacks from buffs/debuffs/other, frame stats, actions, and active abilities, all get borked. Frame energy can either end up depleted entirely, or back to the default starting energy (with or without mods), abilities get turned off (wasting energy, hope ya got some left to recast otherwise you're screwed), sometimes stats get wonky/bugged (for example, improper stats showing or registered, buffs/debufss stuck on character, for example, but not limited to, a perma-volt speed buff, or perma-slow debuff), loss of acquired items, items that were on map are now suddnely gone or moved around somewhere, and many other issues caused by this.

The game uses code containers to store the data to keep thing's as they were for everything else during host migration, so why aren't they used to remedy all of these problems and more>

Using variables and containers or whatever, should allow for easy, quick, fixes for all of this stuff. This way, upon host migration, nothing is ruined, and the game resumes exactly where it left off.

11 minutes ago, peterc3 said:

If it were easy to fix, it would be fixed.

I'm sure cancer is something easy to fix based on my high school biology class. Doctors and researchers are clearly just bad at their jobs.

Clearly, your attitude needs to be fixed, allow me to fix it for you. No? Okay then go be a child somewhere else.

You'd be surprised how much easy-to-fix stuff get's into video games, for endless reasons.

OK OP

from a programming background

I know DE has some real design issues with their netcode; the hosting system is pretty outdated by most videogame standards

But you also have to keep in mind

that DE literally has only a single programmer specializing in networking, and he wrote it all himself. Future expansion is problematic when its spaghetti code that only one guy understands in depth.

DE was a very small company when WF first started out, and the networking code and their developer team organization is a holdover from that.

most of their team growth in recent years has been in hiring more artists for content creation; not in the programming backend. (since much of their income comes from cosmetics sales and so on.) -you'll notice that while we get plenty of new 'content' and graphical improvements the core engine has remained fairly constant.

So it is going to be a serious problem for them to revamp the way it works; you might say they've painted themselves into a corner.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, z3roblade said:

Yes, but unless they paint themselves out of that corner, they'll continue losing more players than they gain. There's a plethora of cosmetics to sell, but players are more concerned about playing the game, not looking at it from the sides.

Depends

at the moment the trend seems to be that the cosmetics and new (glitchy)content releases, is bringing in enough players to outweigh losses from those put off by glitches.

So, unless you get a big WF partner streamer or two to put out a viral campaign that outbalances the hype, I don't think DE is going to put in the effort...

On 2019-04-06 at 8:40 PM, (PS4)haphazardlynamed said:

OK OP

from a programming background

I know DE has some real design issues with their netcode; the hosting system is pretty outdated by most videogame standards

But you also have to keep in mind

that DE literally has only a single programmer specializing in networking, and he wrote it all himself. Future expansion is problematic when its spaghetti code that only one guy understands in depth.

DE was a very small company when WF first started out, and the networking code and their developer team organization is a holdover from that.

most of their team growth in recent years has been in hiring more artists for content creation; not in the programming backend. (since much of their income comes from cosmetics sales and so on.) -you'll notice that while we get plenty of new 'content' and graphical improvements the core engine has remained fairly constant.

So it is going to be a serious problem for them to revamp the way it works; you might say they've painted themselves into a corner.

Ouch. That really hurts my soul. Poor DE and that guy, RIP.