Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Wisp Review/Early feedback

ShikiRen

4 hours ago, (PS4)Mordecai_Vrykul said:

she seems to be a point guard type character.

Looks great imo

I like how with her one the reservoirs dont disappear so team mates dont have to run to you for the buffs.

that worked out well for vauban....

Yeah I don't understand the idea of her 1 and 4.  Like.  I'm not really bothered with the passive as it fits thematically.  My only issue is does turning invisible via being in the air de-aggro enemies?  Do we turn visible again the moment we are not in the air?  Like.  We need more info on this.

Her 1 being cycled buffs.  Eh.  I get that she's being pushed towards the road of utility over tank or cc.  And I like that.  But they just seem...boring.  I'm not a fan of quiver style abilities.  It's okay ish on Ivara because they're situational and due to prowl and her 4 you don't really need to crutch on them.  But Vauban wants to be using his all the time.  and it just feels cumbersome on a pad.

I'm not fond of the interaction DE chose with her 1 and 3.  Because 3 can't be used without her 1 as far as we know.  And it looks like said totems disappear once you have picked up the buff.  Which means anti team synergy.  Not to mention the effect of her 3 is literally just one wave of damage.  Boring.  And we know how damage abilities end up.  Her 4 is also just straight up damage.  I LOVE it's visuals.  But i'm not sure how it fits her asthetic.  Like.  I get both ghost like vibes but also mysterious entity.  Maybe trickster demon ish.  I don't think it's a bad fit.  I just don't know how I feel about it.  And again, not really fond of just straight damage.

Overall i'd say i'm whelmed.  I deff have more interest in her still than what I had for Hyldrin (which was basically nothing.  But still.)  Even after seeing these abilities.  I guess I just more imagined her as a utility frame that survived through unconventional methods.  Her spector fits this.  Same with her passive.  The effects of her 1 seem fitting to this as well.  health regen, cc, speed.  But the WAY those buffs are animated into the game just don't fit for me.  Her 3 is just garbage.  Should be changed to something else entirely.  I guess i'd be "fine" with her 4 being a damage ability.  So long as it offered something else along side it.  But i'd be lying if I said I'd be fine with scrapping it entirely for adding something else that makes her less vulnerable.

TLDR: Solid start.  But needs heavy polish.

• Like 1

My only issue without having tried her is that I just hate cycling abilities. They're obnoxious and clunky and usually lead to you mostly just cycling to one thing (IE: sleep arrow) and only using that one thing and then getting annoyed when you accidentally cycle it instead of deploy it. 

They need to let us bind each cycled ability separately. Consoles may not have enough buttons, that's fine, but add an option to the keybind menu so that PC players or anyone with enough spare keys can bind each individual ability and not have to deal with the clunky mess of cycled abilities. They are ALWAYS awful to use.

edit: or at least let you bind cycle/deploy to different keys

or try out a paging system instead since there are only 3 flower things anyway, IE: press ability 1 key, this swaps your 2/3/4 abilities so that they now activate your different flower buff things. Press 1 key again to swap 2/3/4 back to your other 2/3/4 abilities.

or anything else that feels smoother than the horrendous tap to cycle, press to activate

Edited by Borg1611

Wisp needs her 4 changed like yesterday. Don't get me wrong it looks cool but it doesn't fit in the slightest. Not as a CC/Support frame and not a Ghost. Like of all the things non ghost like I think the sun is like #3 on the list. 1-3 and passive all throw into the "ghost" aesthetic of the frame but "praise the sun" does not.

If they want to push "portals" (the only defense I have seen people use to defend it other then "it looks cool") then they need to look at the rest of her kit and add some partical effects that make it more portal-like.

Very well, @Flandre_Scarlet_. Now let me tell you my opinion on this concept:

3 hours ago, Flandre_Scarlet_ said:

Passive: Every enemy Wisp kills has 50% chance to spawn a small Ghost Flame that orbits Wisp, which absorbs 50% of bullet damage that shoots through them. 5 Max.

This one is pretty good. Using a special pickup that benefit Wisp may be worth. The only problem is: how much damage can a Ghost Flame absorb, before it's consumed? Yes, 50% bullet damage absorb is worth, but what concerns me is if the Ghost Flame would be infinite or not. Another concern, is about Infested units: Grineers and Corpus are justified, because they use weapons... But infested?

Overall, it's a good passive.

1: No energy cost, requires at least 1 Ghost Flame to cast
Consumes all Flames and shoots a moving Vortex, sucking enemies in and stripping armor while dealing Corrosive Damage.

This one is pretty nice. I'm saying it because it could make any Grineer easy to cut through. Two parts that bothers me, however:

1) Is damage based on how much ghost flame will have?

2) Isn't corrosive damage less useful, if the ability can strip armor by itself? Or it strips armor because the ability's corrosive damage kicks in?

2: 50 Energy cost
Grants damage reduction (up to 75%) and has a 25% chance to spawn a Ghost Flame on hit (player damage, cooldown of 3s).

This might become extremely overpowered. As you mentioned, your Wisp's passive concept absorbs 50% bullet damage, and with the damage reduction up from 75%, it would make her more like a tank to Corpus and Grineers. Yes, it's a good idea, but if the damage reduction would be affected by power strenght, it would turn Wisp into a bullet sponge.

3: 25 Energy activation cost, drains 5 energy/s (cap 1 energy's)
Consumes nearby corpses and spawns homing projectiles in their location that seek out enemies, deal medium amounts of Corrosive Damage and heal the player for 5% of the DMG dealt.

While i admit that this ability may be cool and unique, i fear that it might become sort of a broken - useless mix.

Broken because if too many corpses are present, and an enemy just happens to meet a Wisp that has said power, it would melt the enemy in less than a second, useless because if the ability works with corpses, and there are no corpses, Wisp wouldn't be able to use that power. Sure, certain missions would make Wisp work... But what about other ones, like Exterminate?

Also, if the heal power would be affected by power strenght, it would result as way much overpowered.

4: 100 Energy cost, requires at least 1 Ghost Flame to cast
Summons an Orb of Energy that applies sleep to every enemy in a big radius for 5 seconds, then deals 5/10/15/20/25% of enemy max HP in Corrosive Damage to enemies in the area. (damage works like Volt Ult, the closer the enemies are to the caster, the more damage they take. The further away they are, the less damage they take)

That sounds good. But like the other abilities, i have a complain: How much would the enemies be affected by sleep, and what if they can be awakened with other source of damage. Also, is the ability affected by Power Strenght?

A minor complain, is that you didn't mention her stats. Like, what armor you would give to her? how much health and shields? how much energy and sprint speed?

Overall, it's a good concept.

While damage is indeed king utility is always useful.  And it seems like they were trying to push utility with her.  My feedback:

Passive: I like the idea of it.  But not enough information was given.  Do we de aggro the enemies the moment we're airborne?  Are we visible the moment we're not airborne?  etc.

Ability 1:  I'm fine with the buffs effects.  Health regen, speed, cc.  They're maybe not the best kind of utility buffs and i'd be fine with other effects, but I think they're fine.  My problem is how we interact with them. Deployables are a no go.

Ability 2:  I love this.  She seems to go semi seethrough.  Potentially indicating the enemies no longer target her.  So it's like a better decoy.  And you can teleport to it.  Which is nice.  And teleporting to it causes a stun to near by enemies.  It's...an interesting effect.  Unless the stun is a hard knockdown though i'm not sure how good it could be.  I think the effect should probably be a blind instead.  Means less potential death for herself.  And could potentially open enemies to finishers/stealth damage then.  My only huge worry here is setup time.  But we will have to see how mods effect the ability first.

Ability 3: I hate hate hate hate this one.  It's JUST damage.  And it REQUIRES her pillars to be on the field.  Unless we're missing something and the buffs that circle you also can shoot out the ring of damage.  I don't know.  Either way.  I don't like that interaction.  And just damage is boring.  It should amplify the effects of said buffs/refresh them as well if we're sticking to this sort of idea.

Ability 4:  Visually amazing.  But it seems like it makes her rather vulnerable.  Seems too focused of a beam to really protect her.  and again it's just damage.  Would be fine with keeping this as long as it offered some other effect or interaction with her kit.  Like maybe hitting my decoy with it causes an effect or something.

2 hours ago, (PS4)wintersfrozen said:

Im just fond of doing anything to her 4 other then what it is. The ghost theme was a wonderful idea that her 4 just doesn't capitalize on. It feels very out of place and forced. Did the effects team make a really cool effect, yes. Does it work for Wisp? No.

She seams more CC and support based then anything else. Her 4 should capitalize on that. Use the wisps summoned from her 1 to cause damage rather then the weird sun laser thing if they want a second  damage ability that badly.

Interesting.  To me she seemed more utility than cc based.

Honestly I only have 2 big issues with her kit.  The first being the forced dependancy of her 3 with her 1. It seems like we can't use it without those being on the field.  Which is awful in it's own merit.  But I don't enjoy that i'll have to be constantly dropping buffs on the field for it.  That's one of the main reasons why I don't like playing Vauban.  My second issue is her 4 just being damage.  She seems utility/support.  And while I don't mind giving her a damage ability I wish it had some other effect on top of it that maybe synergized with her kit and further pushed that utility role.

I'm concerned about Wisp's theme as well. They never explicitly said it but her name's Wisp, and she channels the sun and makes plants.

There's a.... bit of a jump there, guys. She has this ghosly movements and animations, she floats and for some reason she throws plants?

Speaking of which, deployable buffs again? it didn't work well with titania, heck, it didn't work with Volt's speed. Why are we revisiting this idea? I'd rather make her plants something like little will-o-wisps and make them something you can also target enemies with. Keep the different buffs and colors, but make them little fires. When allies move close to said fire, a ray connects with said ally and give them said buff. Done. Please don't make us pick up these.

Lastly, her ult looks amazing, but i feel we're having too many "float while channeling death ray". Even Garuda was about to have one of these. Might count Hildryn in these, since she might not have a death ray, but her controls and weapons are stripped from her as well.

personally i only feel her 4 feels too plain as it is. her rest is tailored for interaction/synergy i think/hope and her 4 doesnt look like it has any with her other abilities.

would love seeing it draw power from every nearby whisp/buff station but deactivating the buff whisp recharge whilst active, so no buffs but more damage.

i also think she should be able to use the decoy ability and have a special interaction when she reactivates it whilst her 4 is on, for example detonate it instead of teleporting. logic: she opens a portal at the decoys location instead and releases a burst of the suns power at its location.

her 4 looks really awesome but i think to really make it worth it and she as a whole frame, it needs to have synergy with her other abilities...otherwise why use the buffs or decoy if her 4 is all we really want.

@DEvs  :

Love the concept so far, though I wonder if having the "pulses" from her wisps on the use of her 3rd ability actually be affected by WHAT KIND of wisps they are might work?

Like, if the Speed wisp (i think was the green one), perhaps that pulse SLOWS enemies it hits?  Perhaps her Strength-Giving wisp WEAKENS enemies?  And perhaps one just does AoE Damage (or they all have DoT)?

Then, players could pick and choose very SPECIFIC ways, and creative more importantly, how to lock down static maps with her 1 and 3.

Could make for some interesting and dynamic gameplay!

Her 4th is another story.  I REALLY love it, but I'm not sure how it relates to a WISP, as it were.  Perhaps if her Wisp Tokens or whatever her 1st drops are called COLLECTED damage whist they sat out, and she SACRIFICED those wisps and channeled THAT all into a last-ditch beam of dark energy... Would that fit a bit better, and create more synergy?

It could just be the lack of Monster talking lol   So if none of this makes sense, I apologize.

Anyways, big fan of what y'all do!  Keep being awesome!

The utter eclectic nature of her abilities aside...

Passive? Sure. The visuals look a bit odd but I can appreciate it.

Her 1 I am not liking the look of in the slightest, it's stationary buffs when one of the reasons vauban is suffering is because of his stationary nature. Which you acknowledged. What the hell?

Her 2, the warp thing... ehhhhhh? Strikes me as one of those abilities I'd probably never use because there's better things to spend energy on. It looks odd, and slow as a movement ability. Plus if Wisp goes invisible when she's airborne then... what's the point in an ability that can draw aggro off you when you can go invisible whenever you want anyway? Solely to help your allies? Eh. If I were to redo this, I'd have wisp BECOME that projectile-thing and be able to steer it HERSELF, while leaving a hologram or whatever at her starting position. You obviously don't care about reusing and changing up other frame abilities, so it'd be like Molt, but with a movement component and the decoy lasts a shorter duration. And then if you phase through someone then I dunno they get opened up to finishers, or take X damage. Or y'know what even make this her 1 in place of those wonk-ass buffs, even if you kept those as they are, they'd fit more nicely on 2.

The 3 being the radial slams from your stationary buff pillars... eh. Don't like it. How is this ghostly? How is it portally? How is ANYTHING she does portally?

I will not lie I LIKE the solar laser beam, but like

How is it ghost? People say 'ooh she's a portal frame' but that theme seems to be confined entirely to the fluff on THIS ability. Eh?

Conceptually she seems to be pulled in two conflicting directions.

Her passive encourages mobility since the only way to get airborne is to be jumping around aimgliding, and whatnot.  Her decoy also somewhat enforces mobility by way of teleporting and redirecting the enemy's attention and providing a stun when teleporting.  Her fourth ability also allows movement and has a focused field of fire compared to something like Revenant's or Ember's.  I'd expect these three abilities to be on a Warframe that's something of a glass cannon.  She has a powerful attack but she needs to keep moving and distract the enemy because if she gets pinned down then she's toast.

But then we have her other abilities.  Her first ability spawns stationary objects that provide buffs.  To get the maximum effect, multiple casts and collections are needed to stockpile the little wisps and distribute to the team (if present).  Her third ability further leverages these spawned stationary buff platforms by setting off AOE attacks around them.  I'd expect these two abilities to be on a Warframe that's intended to fill a defensive support role.  She can provide valuable buffs and can provide point defense for a stationary target, but she needs time to set up and probably can't deliver a knockout punch on her own.

So, Wisp is a defensive support glass cannon with a significant stationary set-up time who benefits from being constantly on the move while defending a single area with remotely triggered stationary AOE and periodically blasting enemies into oblivion with point blank solar annihilation as a mobile death ray.  It's a touch... confused as a theme.  Looking at her, I don't know how I'm supposed to play her.  Is she supposed to hold her ground or be constantly on the move?  Is she support or damage?  Is she built to take the punishment that comes with holding her ground?

Perhaps she's meant to be a jack of all trades, master of none.  That could work if it was tied together by a more aesthetic or conceptual theme rather than a practical theme.  The stated theme is portals and summoning, but she only has one ability that summons and one that opens a portal.  Her passive and two other powers don't really relate to portals or summoning at all.  Her second ability could if it had some portal-like visual effect to go with it but as it stands it's just a teleport.  To be honest, she seems like two different frames got blended together.

Now this could all prove moot when I actually get my hands on her and take her for a spin myself.  It might turn out to work really well as a jack of all trades.  Based on my past experience with Titania, though, I fear that I'll just end up using her fourth ability and ignoring the deployable buffs because they just don't feel good to use.  I expect I'd also use the decoy ability too for the blind and stun.  Warframe as a game encourages movement so when half her kit says "move" the other half is probably going to lose out, at least for me.  I look forward to trying her out, regardless.  Visually speaking she's a beautiful piece of work and I'm sure her four will be just plain fun to use.

Edited by UnderRevision
Spelling error.

Sorry for another thread of this.  But I just wanted to get my opinion out there.  Especially since my initial replies seem to be mostly bad ones information wise.  I rewatched her stuff and listened to a few videos talking about her.  SO I need to redo my opinion.  VERY IMPORTANT INFORMATION!  The devs stated on stream that her kit is going to have more synergies/effects with her abilities.  So what we saw on stream isn't everything her kit does.  Something we need to keep in mind.  Anyway let's jump in.

Passive:  "While being airborne Whisp is invisible."

Details: From re-looking at footage it seems like she isn't invisible for just being in the air.  Seems like a minimum of double jump is needed.  Potentially also when you bullet jump.  And you return to being visible the moment you touch the ground.

Input: I think this will need to be in effect if she's clinging to a wall or wall jumping as well.  As this seems to be her mainline way to survive.  What we don't know is how the enemy interacts once we go invisible.  Do they lose aggro?  Or do they continue to fire in our general area?  If the enemies don't immediately de aggro I can only see this as a way for us to setup.  Rather than to use it actively to avoid damage.  Meaning she glides into a room and sits on a wall or something.

Ability 1:  "Whisp places up to 6 totems on the field that offer one of 3 buffs. Speed, health regen, CC via lightning procs."

Details:  so to cycle through these buffs you tap the ability button and then hold to cast to drop said buff effect.  Once you pick the buff up it rotates around you but the flower it came from seems to remain there.  It appears you can have up to more than one of the same buff dropped at a time.

Input:  I don't like how this ability works input wise.  I play on a pad.  It's a bit clunky to attempt to do so on a consistent basis.  I don't like deployables to begin with.  But this can be some what "okay" for me so long as how her 3 interacts with this ability a specific way.  My question is can you stack these buffs?  As in pick up multiple of the same buff?

Ability 2:  "Whisp deploys a decoy based on the direction of her aim.  Can teleport to the decoy."

Details: If you look at Whips when she casts this ability she gets the same visual treatment she gets if she is invisible VIA being airborne.  So this implies that she's invisible for the duration of her active decoy.  Also teleporting creates 3 effects.  It stuns enemies, blinds enemies, and she is briefly invulnerable when she does teleport.

Input: Fantastic ability.  If the invisibility works the same as her passive and her passive makes enemies ignore her then it's a really good effect.  My only concern is setup time.  like how fast and far it can travel.  We will have to see how mods effect this ability but overall I think it's a well designed ability.

Ability 3: "Casts a radial AoE from her pillars.  Does damage."

Details: It appears in addition to doing damage said AoE will also have a different effect based on what buff the pulse came from.

Input: I don't like that this ability is 100% dependent on her 1.  But, this can be made to feel less bad.  If the effect still comes from the pillars even if the buffs were already picked up.  And/or the AoE can come from the buffs currently surrounding you/allies.  Still.  I would like to see the AoE refresh buff timers to go along side all of this.

Ability 4: "Whisp shoots the sun beam at you."

Details: So it's a pure damage ability.  However it was noted from a tweet from Sheldon that the beam will do more damage the longer it hits a target specifically aimed at making it's damage "scale" for higher content.

Input:  So visually it's nice.  My worry is how vulnerable it makes her.  As she doesn't have any built in damage reduction skills or spammable cc effects.  I also would like to see it have some sort of synergy with her other abilities.  As it stands it should be considered that we're locked out of using her other abilities while using this because it is a channeled ability.

Closing thoughts:  Overall I think she's a more solid design compared to Hildryn though not close to the level of past designs such as Inaros or Nidus.  Her "theme" is portals and that fits.  She teleports around like portals.  She brings the sun with a portal.  But she also fits (imo) as a spectre/mysterious entity.  I have no real issue with theme which is good.  Ability wise it seems she's pushed at being utility/support.  Which is refreshing as we haven't really explored heavy utility based frames.  Loki is the only one that comes to mind.

The sore spots for me are really just her 1 and 3.  I don't like the forced dependancy interaction wise.  I don't like the inputs for her 1 at all and I think it's a big mistake to make a focus on deployables for her when in the same stream they acknowledge one of vaubans issues being said deployables.  And effect wise they're "okay" effects but I think they could probably choose a better selection.  But this kind of also depends on what effects come from said pillars when you cast her 3.  Like if the speed buff slows enemies from the wave or if the cc buff walls enemies away.  So it's hard to say.

My initial impression was a bit too harsh.  I'm intrigued but I can't deny the hint of worry/distaste I have.

EDIT:  I some how missed the fact that her flowers will be giving off an AoE effect of whatever the buff is.  Meaning you don't need to actually pick up the buff to get it's effect.  I don't know what this means for her in terms of how she/allies interact with the ability.  I do know that if this is 100% true that it means my perspective on her 1 and 3 will change.  Though I still stand by disliking the method of input for casting her 1.

Edited by (XB1)Knight Raime

37 minutes ago, DLOArceus said:

Pretty sure that there's an option in...the options, that swaps that.

There's an option to press to cycle, tap to activate as well, but there's no way to do any of the things I mentioned as far as I know. 

Having to press and hold to do any action in the game still feels clunky and doesn't feel right in a fast paced game. The option only really helps make it slightly less obnoxious if you don't need to swap abilities frequently. 

I think the only reason this system exists is because of consoles and limited buttons on controllers. Adding more keybinding options for people who aren't key limited would make frames with cycle abilities feel a lot better. 

3 hours ago, moostar95 said:

Last time I check, everyone is playing saryn over inaros due to how broken she is. Everyone is crying over how she isn't another saryn, mesa etc. Dmg meta ruined warframe varation.

i dont keep track of the meta i could probably go do "end game content" i just dont to avoid the hassle of people going you gotta do X with Y frame and if you anything else your bad picked it up from my time with raids i tried getting into them and met with the most elitism ive have ever experienced i know not every group was like that but i only learned of them after the removal of raids.

i agree the damage meta is kinda out of hand "does it kill a level *insert high number here* in one hit?" no then its bad get a riven or mr fodder it no one will use it kinda sounds like a hyperbole yeah but it holds alot of water when you think about it since its clear for the past few years people only want more damage more damage more damage and scream when a new frame or weapon doesnt give them more damage in a flavor they want.

we are also in the same community that demands DE challenge us with content and when they try well all that damage meta finds a quick way to one shot brush off and then people come here to complain its too easy but when de says screw the balance and imputs a enemy to meta game the meta players the very same people complain its too op and wont die or the thing mechanically fights you to make you lose on top of making the silent people who dont bother with it suffer as well some more then others

Ex: Wolf of saturn six tanky boi that kept you on your toes with carrying atleast one just in case weapon wont die in a few hits immediately op people complain its too hard and gets nerfed over and over now level locked at 60 max level in pubs 45 in solo now he as easy as to kill as a bombard and ESO efficiency actively fights you more and more the deeper you go is seen as a bad mechanic because you will eventually forced to lose in a game mode you could compare to a rouge-light since you keep what you hard won regardless of how you leave the mission 

the reason i brought up inaros he has a build that literally doesn't allow you to die unless you did literally nothing and even then its hard since you have uh i think arcane grace is the healing one 2 of those its hard to get killed with a tank build + hunter adrenaline we have a build in the game were damage can outright be ignored to a absurd level and then ask de to make a challenge that could possibly handle that build and be fair to people who dont use that build on top of it

this community is so for and against change at the same time it makes me feel im in-between two different dimensions like there is a thread made before the devstreams was even finished there was a thread going "does DE even play game this is terrible everyone will hate it" while people in the devstream are liking the abilities and what they do like its so other side of the coin it hurts sometimes

• Like 1

I really love what you guys have done with wisp ❤️

Can't wait till my waifu has her own prime access!!! 

I'm not going to go into the details of why I really like what you guys have done with wisp, because there are too many negative naysayers who are scared of something new and unique... (I like that she doesn't seem like she'll play like any other warframe currently in the game) There are too many negative posts that focus on small details they don't like, but don't give enough credit--if any--to the awesome things you guys have done with her. Too many people just want to make her feel like what they already have. 

I wanted to say that I think you guys have done a great job so far. I also like that you guys are trying a new approach/direction. 

(I'm not dismissing negative opinions. I understand the argument behind a lot of them. It's simply that I still like wisp even despite other people's opinions, and I'm not interested in debating/arguing about why... This is meant as a feeback post; not discussion)

I will agree that some of the abilities definitely seem to be dependant on numbers/effectiveness of buffs and whatnot (will it actually be able to kill high lvl enemies?) However I really like the direction of the ideas that you've taken with wisp. I'm really looking forward to seeing the work you guys will do with her, and to experiencing playing her when she's released. 

Edited by Maka.Bones

39 minutes ago, BenaBean said:

I've seen a few people saying her 4th suits ember better than her and I have to agree

Just on the fact that it's fire alone does not mean it's better for Ember, per se.  I think that'd be a bit tunnel-vision'd.   

It certainly wouldn't hurt as an Augment, but Ember is more of an AoE frame, not so much a direct, single-target damage dealer. And she excels at that.

I could see Wisp's ult remaining the same, just altered to be more of a "Dark" energy, rather than "expedited from the Sun".  Also, I like the idea of using the 1st Ability's wisps to POWER the 4th, such that it prevents it from just being mindlessly "Press 4 to kill all the thingz".

I'd like to ADD to my OP, adding in that 3's effects should SCALE depending on a thing or two, such as "If Green, are OTHER Green Wisps within range of THIS Green Wisp?  If so, Speed is boosted even MORE!"  OR you could just scale it depending on how many, out of the total available, deployed Wisps, are matching, and the power of their effect would scale from there.

Like, say she has 6 Wisps out, but 5 of the 6 are Green.  Then the enemies entering the AoE would be MASSIVELY slowed down...whereas if only 2 were Green, the slow effect would be much less impactful, but the effect of the OTHER colored Wisps might be more significant.

Does that make sense? Like, it'd allow the player to scale the abilities ON-THE-GO to fit the situation!  Making her an AMAZING Defensive/Support frame!

• Like 1

So. Watched the devstream hoping for some response to the feedback on the melee changes. Nothing on that front, but we got a look at Wisp's abilities. Cool!

Passive is invisibility in the air. Sure, okay. Great. The visual looks weird if she's just got holes through her model, but ehhh.

From there though we get into sticky territory.

Her 1 is poorly-conceived. We've already accepted the fact that Vauban has problems due to his stationary focus that suffers in wide open spaces, and now we're going with more stationary things? Why? And what does this have to do with her concept at all?

Her 2 is a good step up from her 1, but I just can't really see myself ever using it. If I want to move somewhere, I can jump there. If I want to get aggro off me, I can jump because of her passive.

Her 3 is... eh. Dunno how much damage it does, but it's dependent on her 1, which as stated is pretty wonky, and it's just a radial slam. How does this fit her theme at all?

Her 4 though is interesting. It's cool, don't get me wrong in the slightest. I'd scrap literally everything else in Wisp's kit and build entirely around this ability, but... again, how does this fit her at all? You say 'well it's portal mage' but nothing else about her in the slightest says portal mage. Not her name, not her abilities, not her look or animations... just this one little tiny piece of fluff text.

I have some small number of thoughts on how I'd design Wisp, if one were to take her theme as 'ghosty portal mage'. Issue is, one of them is literally already TAKEN by Baruuk. Toggle ability on, attacks can be portalled through you. But let's ignore that for the moment and get on with the show.

Delta's Super Fantasy Funland Wisp is as follows.

(Passive) Levitation: Wisp maintains full directional control while aimgliding, so changing direction isn't like stopping a boulder, and she doesn't lose height while aimgliding.

(1) Phase: Similar to her current 2 and could reuse the assets, but Wisp turns INTO the projected energy and leaves a short-lived decoy at her previous location. Like 2-3 seconds short. While in energy form though, you are constantly moving forward but can still steer. Pressing the button again ends the ability early. Range increases speed. phasing THROUGH enemies stuns them or does damage or opens them to finishers or fears them or something. Also, the projected energy cannot be seen and doesn't set off alarms or whatever, and any unalerted enemy who sees the decoy is basically just distracted briefly rather than alerted until it goes away. Just an Elder Scrolls-esque 'must have been imagining things' type deal. As a bonus, using this ability resets her glide timer.

(2) Hostile Warp: To actually do something with the portal aspect, her second ability is targeted on an enemy. It teleports them to in front of you, deals damage, and stuns them. They don't count as alerted until the stun wears off, so it's viable for stealth missions. Perhaps it opens them up for finishers.

(3) Shade: This is the one which is basically already on Baruuk, but anyway. Shade is a toggled ability that drains energy over time. Slowly though, even for toggled abilities. While it's active, Wisp isn't INVISIBLE, but is still much harder to detect. Weapons are likewise quieter, but not 100% silenced. Maybe detection reduction and silencing changes with power strength, iunno. Anyway. While it's active she's harder to detect out of combat, and while in combat, she basically has an X% chance to dodge attacks that hit her by reflexively portalling it. Ideally the sort of ability you could turn on at the start of a mission and keep on for most of it if you wanted to mod that way. It isn't flawless like Baruuk's, but doesn't need you to be looking at it and doesn't stop you from attacking.

(4) VOID GATE: Hey, you know what really hecks up living things? You know what's really spooky and ethereal? Y'know what can only be reached by portals? THE VOID. A minor change to her current firebeam, just recolor it and make it do VOID damage. Heck, make Hostile Warp do void damage too. In essence, open up a teeny hole to the void and blast someone with THAT. It keeps the portal fluff, it keeps the effect as-is, it makes it super unique as a warframe that can do void damage, and the ethereal, spooky nature of the Void is far more fitting to the ghost half of her theme than the sun is.

Conclusion

I think Wisp as-is is weird. Just... really weird. A bizarre mix of abilities with little connection to her themes. I highly doubt my thoughts will shape any of her future, but who knows. I'm not 100% sold myself on Hostile Warp, if you wanted her to be more supportive you could rework her current buff effects into something there. Maybe just cycle though 'em and a cast gives the buff to all nearby allies. Not particularly exciting, but it'd be much more user friendly than flower totems. You could even fluff it as drawing power from the void to temporarily supercharge warframes, like those cracks on Lua or Void Corruption from opening relics.

I really wanted a ghost frame, and that's not what we got. Honestly not really sure what Wisp is. A portal mancer with only one portal? A light/sun-based frame? But! There's going to be plenty of people that love Wisp. That's okay! I have other frames. 

BUT! Her first ability really should be place in the direction she's aiming, not the direction the frame is looking. That has never worked out in any frame/character/game. Not going to make a huge difference considering what the ability does. 

Still holding out hope for a ghost frame. Incorporeal abilities, no collusion with enemies, will-o'-wisp ability, ect. Something spooky! 

• Like 1