Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Wisp Review/Early feedback

ShikiRen

15 minutes ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

I don’t blame people for not liking Wisp. I mean Rebecca described her as a “portal frame” which sounded cool, but then only one of her abilities really had anything to do with space portals.

There’s also the thing with Scott saying Vauban is to stationary so they plan to change that, and then 3/4 of Wisps kit is stationary or restricts movement. 

So yeah, Wisp is the first frame in a while that I have next to no interest in.

How does 3/4 of her kit restrict movement? 

Only one ability restricts movement... So where are the other ones? 

33 minutes ago, Jinzanami said:

i am a costumer, and they're getting money out of us, this entertainment is not for free, and the 'free' tag is not that alluring anymore, theres many games with quality updates and they''re for free, Warframe is not that mind boggling anymore, and its not totally free dont make crap up, you still need to shell time and possibly money to lurk more.

if they want money then they should earn it and deserve it, right now they're spending money on cons and big updates that get delayed and put on ice, the grind kept increasing and the quality kept degrading along with the quantity, if you give them an inch then they will eat you alive.

what was the last time that DE released something that didnt require a rework or overhaul and ton of bug fixing and we''re the beta tester they never hired mind you.

they claim they removed a fur 10p slot machine on every documentary but they let a similar system that have multiple layer of rng and is a core mechanics to run rampant without removing it,i am talking about the Riven system.

and when did DE ever missed a single prime release ? how much money they keep racking up every 3 months just from that ? we should get better product for that money man and we're not getting it, even skill up ceased to talk about this garbo game.

First of all... Do you even pay to play this game?

Secondly, they don't make you pay for anything. You already have the choice of only paying for what you want. You might be a customer, but that doesn't mean they have to do EVERYTHING exactly like you want. Being a customer, doesn't make you a shareholder... And even shareholders don't get that luxury, because it's simply not practical. 

Thirdly, these are your words "if you give them an inch then they will eat you alive." which exactly describes your attitude right now. Maybe first you should work on not displaying the attitude you preach against. 

Fourth, being a beta tester never means we need to be hired. Many people are beta testers and don't get paid for it. They simply play the game because they like it, or want to try the experience first. 

Fifth, this is currently one of the best and most expansive games on the market... And it's free

Sixth, yes they release prime access because they need to pay employees, rent, bills... We already covered this. Have you ever run a company before? Do you even pay for your own bills or have dependants? If you do/have, then you should know this very well. 

Seventh, you're not required to purchase prime access. It's an option, but you can still get all of the same content for free. So why are you even complaining about that?

Eighth, you keep referring to DE & the game as they're some sort of enemies of yours, or some evil overlord... Why? They don't own you. They don't force you to play the game. Why do you keep playing the game, if you don't like it or enjoy it? If it's so horrible, why don't you just drop it and play something else? What are you so defensive/butthurt/paranoid for? 

Nine, if you dislike DE so much then why are you even on the forums? If warframe is so horrible, why are you even playing it?  

I'm pretty sure you're not being fully honest, or unbiased here. 

Edited by Maka.Bones

2 minutes ago, ChaosSabre said:

The worst part bout Wisp will be managing 6 tap abilities on one skill. Like look at all these keyboard buttons you could possibly use to make it flow better.

But yea her skill set is pretty meh. I see most people just building for her 4 and ignoring everything else.

I hope her 3 is effective tbh. And that her buffs are also good. I think it just depends on the numbers they get. 

Obviously people will also use her 2

Edited by Maka.Bones

2 minutes ago, ChaosSabre said:

I know I won't use those skills at all. Tap 1, hold 1, rinse and repeat that six times every time you want a full buff set. That is not fun at all.

Didn't you just mention keybinds? And I don't think there are 6 buffs btw. I think she has 3-4 buffs max. It's just that there's no limit to how often you can place the totems. 

At least not yet

Edited by Maka.Bones

4 minutes ago, ChaosSabre said:

But yea her skill set is pretty meh. I see most people just building for her 4 and ignoring everything else.

I sure as hell will spam the 1 ... if only to spam the 3 and not for the buffs.

I personally loved Wisp's look and thematics, but I feel that the skillset selected might not fit that much in what she is supposed to do, and how she does it, being easily outclassed by many other warframes. Being outclased by other warframes isn't that unusual, as there are many by now, but at least some aspects of her could be improved in order to give her better chances to shine.

I think Wisp has the potential of using ghost and portal thematics to become something like an "enabler support", helping other warframes reach the peak.

The Passive seems quite interesting, and might end up quite usefull in the right conditions while also fitting a ghostly frame

The First Skill... The buffs don't seem that bad, although making people go to where the reservoirs are in order to get them? In Warframe? seems a sure recipe for a useless first skill

I would make these wisps act more or less like Baruuk's daggers, in the sense that they fly toward a close ally while leaving a copy orbiting Wisp, so everyone can have the same buffs as her without having to backtrack or waiting for her to decide to set a reservoir nearby, just by getting close to her you are set, without causing any detriment like it happens with Baruuk's daggers leaving him.

Also, let us stack the buffs, if the user wants to have Wisp and ally become super tanky, hyperfast bladestorms or thunderclouds, this should be possible, as its something that other warframes already do in other ways, having Wisp limited would only make her buffs be a really watered down version. There could be problems with the speed buffs though, so rolling could dispell the wisps the same way that it does with Limbo's Rift.

The Second Skill reminds me a bit too much to Nezha's Blazing Chakram. 

Keeping up with her ghostly thematic, and considering that even Reb herself got her phantom stuck in a decoration, it could be interesting to make this skill able to go through some walls or obstacles, as its a spirit like rendition of Wisp. This skill should be limited so you can't get through walls that lead to the Void, or directly inside some spy vaults, but could make her incredibly useful in misions around complicated places.

The Third Skill... Can't really see it, I mean, I guess it has it uses, and I still need to see the whole extent of its interactions with the enemy and Wisp's skills apart from the first one, but i can't see it that usefull.

I propose this skill being able to create portals when used in 2 Reservoirs, in order to conect them, allowing the ally units not only to quickly travel from one to another with ease, but also shoot through them from the relative safety of being in another room.

Using it again could close the portal on said reservoir, severing the link. 

These portals could be used in tandem with her fourth skill by mimicking her laser and where she is aiming it at, similar to how ally units conected to Nidus will also shoot his Virulence at the same place and time he is casting it. This not only adds synergy with her fourth skill, but also doubles up in her portal maker thematic.

The Fourth Skill is visually amazing, but I do share the feeling with my fellow Tenno that it's a skill maybe more adequate for Ember than Wisp, having her lose such awesome skill would be really bad though.

If she can open portals wherever she wants, why only limiting herself to the Sun? Why not selecting with a button press if she needs to open a portal to the deepest depths of the sea in order to bring forth a torrent of hyperpressurized water that causes high physical damage and knockback on whatever it hits (except corpus roombas) or in the core of a Black Hole itself to draw every enemy in a cone to the floor in front of Wisp, devoid of most of armor/shields due to the power of such absurd gravity?

These are just some of the many places she could open a portal to, while also keeping her portal maker theme intact and adding ultimates more suited to a support-like warframe as her, while also keeping the room-clearing one available if needed

I can't say i was impressed by her abilities, but I think its early to take conclusions. Let's wait and see how Wisp can perform on daily gameplay after release, and most important, if it will be fun to play her

Edited by Guest

42 minutes ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

I don’t blame people for not liking Wisp. I mean Rebecca described her as a “portal frame” which sounded cool, but then only one of her abilities really had anything to do with space portals.

There’s also the thing with Scott saying Vauban is to stationary so they plan to change that, and then 3/4 of Wisps kit is stationary or restricts movement. 

So yeah, Wisp is the first frame in a while that I have next to no interest in.

I think this sums it all up nicely.

6 minutes ago, HugintheCrow said:

I think this sums it all up nicely.

That just sounds like "it's not what I was expecting, so now I'm disappointed and upset"

But that doesn't give an explanation as to why you think *wisp* is bad... Just that she wasn't what you expected

But something not being what you expected, doesn't necessarily make it bad.  She might turn out to be better than what you originally had in mind. 

Edited by Maka.Bones

From the teasers early on and her overall "look", Wisp did not strike me as a static, supportive fire frame, because that's essentially what her kit is. Her abilities deal primarily fire damage, and her 1 and 3 require her to set up an area to deal AoE fire damage. I was expecting some sort of ghost frame, able to phase through walls, possess enemies, summon ghostly apparitions to do the fighting for her, etc., but her look doesn't really match up with her kit.

Don't get me wrong, her kit looks pretty fun and the new tech is gorgeous, but this kit could have been released as an Ember rework and I don't think anybody would have noticed. 

I think her kit could use some tweaks to make it fit her ghostly theme better. 

First, changing her damage types to something other than Fire would be a step in the right direction. A blend of Radiation, Blast, and Magnetic damage would still very much sell the "portal to the sun" fantasy, but without stepping on Ember's toes and being more useful against a wider variety of enemies. 

Her 1 seems useful, but only on static mission types. It would be great if they had little legs and would follow Wisp around (and could be ordered to Hold Position). This would also make her 3 more useful by extension. 

If nothing else, I want them to go serious with that Portal idea, and make her capable of warping between her Reservoirs. I'm not entirely certain how that could be set up.....but if it's Portals between her personal little spooky Dimension, then I want some more Portal element out of it.

2 minutes ago, Tangent-Valley said:

If nothing else, I want them to go serious with that Portal idea, and make her capable of warping between her Reservoirs. I'm not entirely certain how that could be set up.....but if it's Portals between her personal little spooky Dimension, then I want some more Portal element out of it.

Maybe go up and press X to teleport to the next reservoir kinda deal.

1 minute ago, PsiWarp said:

Maybe go up and press X to teleport to the next reservoir kinda deal.

There's three types, right? And three colors. So, maybe Players can only put down two of each type, and each type warps her to the other one of that type?

I'm not a fan of the cycle through posers to active one function abilities

1. as a PC player i'd like to see less ~clunk~ in my warframeusage (it's also why I have issues with ember/vauban/hdroid charge up abilities, just let us press for the basic and hold for 1 second to trigger the alternate version, charge up breaks the flow of movement considering the minimal additional impact).
2. warframe lets me use a chunk of my keyboard for UI/gear options so what's stopping DE from letting us bind d-pad "up, down, left, right" or number-pad keys to select SPECIFIC options in these multi-function abilities?

her teleport-decoy? I like (tho drawing fire into where you will appear seems foolish)
her explodey function, seems neat
her Eye of Sauron? I OBEY! (until I can wield the power as my own)

29 minutes ago, Maka.Bones said:

That just sounds like "it's not what I was expecting, so now I'm disappointed and upset"

But that doesn't give an explanation as to why you think *wisp* is bad... Just that she wasn't what you expected

But something not being what you expected, doesn't necessarily make it bad.  She might turn out to be better than what you originally had in mind. 

First of all, your nitpicking and arguing semantics doesn't exactly make it a compelling idea to talk to you.

Second of all, if the guy I quoted, me and a lot of posters in this very thread use the same exact words to describe what is wrong with Wisp (like "not fitting the theme", "stationary is meh", etc. etc. ad nauseum) then maybe those aren't just "muh not what you expected", maybe those are actual criticisms.

11 minutes ago, HugintheCrow said:

First of all, your nitpicking and arguing semantics doesn't exactly make it a compelling idea to talk to you.

Second of all, if the guy I quoted, me and a lot of posters in this very thread use the same exact words to describe what is wrong with Wisp (like "not fitting the theme", "stationary is meh", etc. etc. ad nauseum) then maybe those aren't just "muh not what you expected", maybe those are actual criticisms.

Actually, I can argue it is really just self entitlement of these people going "but muh ghost lady" for a lot of cases. DE never said she was going to be a ghost lady and the name "Wisp" is a placeholder. Would you (and all those people) be happier if they named her something like Grianne, Amaterasu or Xiuhcoatl?

The only valid criticism I see is "Stationary is Meh" (which is what I am saying as well, since I do not agree with her 1), pretty much. All the people whining about "ghost ladies" and "theme" are basically just ... whining about useless platitudes.

Edited by Guest

43 minutes ago, Aejan said:

First, changing her damage types to something other than Fire would be a step in the right direction. A blend of Radiation, Blast, and Magnetic damage would still very much sell the "portal to the sun" fantasy, but without stepping on Ember's toes and being more useful against a wider variety of enemies. 

Looks like it can do Rad and/or Fire atm

rad.png

18 minutes ago, HugintheCrow said:

I fail to see how she's stationary, when you can take your buffs with you. 

Please explain how *something that moves with you* is stationary. 

Yeah that doesn't seem like a valid argument to me, it just sounds like you repeating what someone else said lol

2 minutes ago, Datam4ss said:

Actually, I can argue it is really just self entitlement of these people going "but muh ghost lady" for a lot of cases. DE never said she was going to be a ghost lady and the name "Wisp" is a placeholder. Would you (and all those people) be happier if they named her something like Grianne, Amaterasu or Xiuhcoatl?

The only valid criticism I see is "Stationary is Meh" (which is what I am saying as well, since I do not agree with her 1), pretty much. All the people whining about "ghost ladies" and "theme" are basically just ... whining about useless platitudes.

You could argue that. However, theme is an important factor for some people (You know those guys that will say things like "I play for fun, not to be efficient"?).

Obviously, some people might consider being powerful as their main "fun factor".

But nobody can deny, there are people that care more about "fluff" than "crunch", and then there is the ones that want both.

We can't say if Wisp will deliver on the "crunch"-side, we don't know the numbers and precise interactions between abilities.

We CAN say that thematically, she is not just all over the place, but essentially completely random.

2 hours ago, Xarteros said:

Immediately lost all credibility. Badly designed? What's more badly designed than a warframe that forces other players to spam buttons in 'sequence' to a typically muted rhythm for a buff? Having players 'dance' to get a buff is the single dumbest theme in any ability of any warframe in the game, past or present.

the warframe community became awful over the years, i miss the good old times...

anyway, wisp could be so much better.

but hey, dont criticize anything, because some fanboys dont want it... yeah if you continue like that the game wont improve.

probably the biggest issue Warframe and especially DE has.